• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Damn...I'm tempted to start a snes collection :/ Anyone knows the best way to puchase a japanese SNES here in Europe? A PAL one is easier to find but that 50hz region lock sucks.

Lettuce

I got one of those SD2SNES carts now, so i dont have to slowly destroy my boxed games packaging anymore. Its great never need to remove the cart from the SNES anymore

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So what's the most you guys have spent on a SNES game? For me it would probably be FF3 which I paid around 800 SEK for CIB. Back then that was around €70 or so. I generally don't buy such expensive games but it seems that I have to start doing that soon with how all the prices seem to go up...

Since I was a pretty active game player in the SNES days I haven't really needed to pay too much for aftermarket games - $80 for FF3US at launch is probably the most I can remember
my dad
spending. I own quite a few really sought-after games, but a lot of them are loose or cart/manual only, due to me being a big Funcoland shopper (Earthbound, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, EVO, and all the Square/Enix RPGs).

Do want to get Earthbound CIB though one of these days, and Demon's Crest (which I never played).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
4 bucks? Good lord.

Texas garage sales suck for games...or maybe its just Houston.

Yeah, Long Island garage sales tend to really suck for games too (you'd think with this being such a well-to-do area there'd be a lot of great game stuff for sale), sometimes I'll just ride my bike around the neighborhood and stop by random garage sales, mostly it's just old teacups and silverware and children's toys. :(

Have yet to find anything of value game-wise at garage sales, though it's always been a dream of mine to magically stumble across a Stadium Events or something like that at a random garage sale :p

The most I ever payed for a SNES game, was a CIB Super Metroid for around 79 bucks, which was a couple weeks ago.

The least I ever paid was for Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Evermore, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, one of the Lufia games, and maybe a couple others for a grand total of zero dollars. And these aren't just carts, they're mint condition and complete. I mean, these games are in perfect condition, man.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
The most I ever payed for a SNES game, was a CIB Super Metroid for around 79 bucks, which was a couple weeks ago.

What kind of condition was that in?

My most expensive so far has been SFC Ninja Warriors Again which was... expensive in Japanese money :/ 6800 yen maybe? I don't have it to hand.

1upmuffin

The only SNES games I still want are Super Mario Kart, DKC3, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound, but I likely won't be able to get Earthbound for a long time.

Lagiacrusty

Neo Member
I'm trying to start a SNES collection, so I decided to make a list of all the games i wanted. It's gonna be really expensive to track all these down, but it'll be worth it to play great games like Super Metroid, Earthbound, and E.V.O Search for Eden. hopefully my flea market trip this weekend will be fruitful.

Tain

My most expensive so far has been SFC Ninja Warriors Again which was... expensive in Japanese money :/ 6800 yen maybe? I don't have it to hand.

I got that a month or two ago on eBay for, like, half that. Not CIB though. Pretty sure I was lucky.

Still, it's potentially the best action game on the platform, soooo

Parallacs

I'm trying to start a SNES collection, so I decided to make a list of all the games i wanted. It's gonna be really expensive to track all these down, but it'll be worth it to play great games like Super Metroid, Earthbound, and E.V.O Search for Eden. hopefully my flea market trip this weekend will be fruitful.

Good luck!

I have never seen Earthbound or E.V.O at the flea markets I go to, and I've been going on Saturdays and Sundays for the past half decade.

Saw Super Metroid once, but it was a reseller and she wanted $50 for it haha.

The best SNES games I have gotten from the swap meets for under $10:
-Sunset Riders
-Zelda (boxed)
-Mario RPG (boxed)
-Turrican
-R-type 3
-FFII

If any of you are in Orange County or LA, the best swap meets to go to are:
Cyprus
Goldenwest
Orange Coast College
Westlake
Paramount

Steer Clear of:
Long Beach
Rose Bowl
Santa Fe
Orange County Fairgrounds

Don't buy games from resellers unless they are making huge mistakes. I got Symphony of the Night for $5 last year.

Ehh. Decent shape, most people would categorize it as being in 'good' condition, not great. I'm sure I over paid but I wanted to treat myself to at least one stellar game complete in box. I don't try to get everything that way.

edit: here a picture of it with all the other stuff I picked up that week.

CdiIOMH.jpg

GulAtiCa

I just bought a CIB Vegas Stakes for $2 (+ shipping) on eBay. I loved this game as a kid. I also have it on the VC, but will be great to own the cart for once.

Dave_6

Great thread (and an expensive one)! :) Here's a pic of my collection:

That Pac-man game came with the system when I got it but I don't care for it. I've still got quite a few I want to get but have given up right now since the prices on these carts have gone up so much :/ I still want or would like to get these:

Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
Contra III
Earthbound (LOL)
Final Fantasy III
SSFII
Secret of Mana
F-Zero
U.N. Squadron
Mega Man X

There are others but those are the main ones. What makes me sick is back in 2007 I had Secret of Mana, Mega Man X, Demon's Crest, Axelay, Wild Guns(!), Final Fight 2 and 3, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Contra III and Actraiser but for some stupid ass reason I sold them on Ebay with another SNES I had then :(

Yeah, there were a slew of new, sealed F-Zeros on ebay a few weeks ago. They were also the Players Choice version. And I was able to get a sealed copy just like that for around $13. It's one of the few great games for the SNES that are still very affordable.

Probably my biggest gaming regret growing up was going all-in with our new PC and basically abandoning the SNES in mid-1994. This thread is salt in the wound, haha!

Skullkid

I sold my SNES and all my games at the end of the SNES era since I thought all I would ever need was an N64. :(

Several years later I really wanted to play it again and bought the system and most of my favorite games again on eBay (many of them brand new and quite expensive). A few years after that I figured the batteries would start dying and re-sold the games on eBay. I still have my system, though. It still looks new, no yellowing!

This thread makes me reget selling all that great stuff. Virtual Console is nice, but nothing beats playing on the original system.

I opened my F-Zero right up, no hesitation. I have no intention of selling this stuff, so opening a shrink wrapped game is a non-issue for me. I want to be able to play these games.

Dave_6

I opened my F-Zero right up, no hesitation. I have no intention of selling this stuff, so opening a shrink wrapped game is a non-issue for me. I want to be able to play these games.

I'm sure I will open it as F-Zero is one of my all time fav SNES games. I have no will power either :/

GulAtiCa

TheContact

You should be fine getting an SNES from eBay. Only get one if the person has good pictures of it and it isn't yellowed.

I think if you got one from Amazon, you would just end up with a yellow one.

The system is cheap though. You can get a bundle with two controllers and games for around $40. I have never heard of an SNES that didn't work.

Eww don't get that Retro...

Wow I see some yellow ones listed...what does that mean?

Since I'm in the market for a new SNES, are there any technical differences between the SNES and the SNES Mini, or is it functionally the same? Which is the more reliable model?

Kainazzo

Since I'm in the market for a new SNES, are there any technical differences between the SNES and the SNES Mini, or is it functionally the same? Which is the more reliable model?

SNES mini doesn't natively support S-video or RGB without modification. If you're okay with just composite, there isn't much of a major difference. I have heard that the composite image is sharper on the mini vs. the regular system as well. Reliability should be equal with the older model or possibly even better due to revised hardware. I wouldn't worry much about either model breaking on you if you take care of it; the only non-neglected SNES I've seen broken beyond repair was a launch system.

SNES mini doesn't natively support S-video or RGB without modification. If you're okay with just composite, there isn't much of a major difference. I have heard that the composite image is sharper on the mini vs. the regular system as well.

Ah, thanks. Guess I'll go with the original model, then. Gotta have that S-Video.

terrisus

Regarding S-Video, it's a pain how that connection seems to have been dropped out of most newer televisions. I mean, of course I know the best way to play a SNES is either on a CRT, or with something like an XRGB-3 or something, but, it was just kind of bothering me having my SNES (and N64, and also a Genesis that I had modded to output S-video) sitting there connected through Composite when I knew they could do S-Video as well.

My dad bought a SNES for my brother and I when I was in the 3rd grade. I held on to it as it got old and yellow and had dirt rustling on the inside when you moved it around. I had about 40 games.

I recently gave it to my brother's kids, all in elementary school. I sat there with a big smile as they showed me how they beat the Rat King in TMNT and how to fly in SMW and how to ride the rhino in DKC.

It was a wonderful feeling and I think I'm lucky to pass that along. I wish everyone the same feeling someday.

Kainazzo

I'm curious of the ratio between yellowed and pristine consoles. Mine's still every bit the grey and purple it was when it was bought, but looking online it seems a non-oxidized console is somewhat of a rarity. It has to do with the fire retardants put into the ABS plastic, so did Nintendo change or skimp on the process earlier/later? Was it just always a crapshoot?

It happens with cartridges too. Several of mine either have the front or back yellowed, but never both. Wonder what they did differently to prevent the same thing happening to N64 carts. Well, aside from Majora's Mask :p

Linkhero1

I'm curious of the ratio between yellowed and pristine consoles. Mine's still every bit the grey and purple it was when it was bought, but looking online it seems a non-oxidized console is somewhat of a rarity. It has to do with the fire retardants put into the ABS plastic, so did Nintendo change or skimp on the process earlier/later? Was it just always a crapshoot?

It happens with cartridges too. Several of mine either have the front or back yellowed, but never both. Wonder what they did differently to prevent the same thing happening to N64 carts. Well, aside from Majora's Mask :p
I had two SNESes growing up. One is still in pristine condition while the other yellowed out on me. I never noticed until I began reading online about it.

My childhood SNES didn't yellow until the last few years that I had it, and then it was practically a different color entirely.

I re-bought another one like a year and a half ago and it's pristine gray through and through. It's not like I take super good care of this one either, but for some reason it seems to be immune to the yellowing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This Spring I am going into storage. Looking for my SNES. My S-Video cable. My awesome Capcom ergonomic controller. And all my games. And I am going to enjoy the hell out of them.

This Spring I am going into storage. Looking for my SNES. My S-Video cable. My awesome Capcom ergonomic controller. And all my games. And I am going to enjoy the hell out of them.

Lucky. I sold all my SNES shit in a fit of stupidity and have to rebuy everything from ground up again :(

plc268

The system is cheap though. You can get a bundle with two controllers and games for around $40. I have never heard of an SNES that didn't work.

There's quite a few broken SNESes out there, or at least ones that don't work optimally.

One of the most common reasons why an SNES may not power up, is it'll have a busted fuse. I've fixed many systems that I got for free because they were broken in this manner.

The obvious technical difference is that you lose RGB and Svideo, as was already mentioned. If you're savvy enough, you can mod them back in, and if you have any experience in electronics and soldering, it's not that difficult to do.

Also, all SNES Minis have a 1chip mobo. At one point, nintendo had a hardware revision and combined the cpu and gpu I believe, and the result was that the 1 chip motherboard has a much crisper video output. If you get lucky, you can find 1 chip motherboards in the big normal snes, as they have a certain serial number range.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Lucky. I sold all my SNES shit in a fit of stupidity and have to rebuy everything from ground up again :(
Ugh. Yeah, I stupidly did a lot of "trading in" back in my day. There are some games I really regret giving to Game Stop for a few bucks. A few years later, for a short 1-year stint, I was a collector and really regretting having done that. I also regret, like everyone, letting the boxes for all my games get thrown away.

So I can't wait to go into storage and see what I can find. I plan on bringing everything back. My SNES, My NES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast and Playstation stuff. Everything.

But I'm mostly looking forward to my SNES collection. I just really really want to play Mario, Yoshi, Star Fox and the DKC trilogy on an actual console and not a VC or emulator for once.

Teknoman

My dad bought a SNES for my brother and I when I was in the 3rd grade. I held on to it as it got old and yellow and had dirt rustling on the inside when you moved it around. I had about 40 games.

I recently gave it to my brother's kids, all in elementary school. I sat there with a big smile as they showed me how they beat the Rat King in TMNT and how to fly in SMW and how to ride the rhino in DKC.

It was a wonderful feeling and I think I'm lucky to pass that along. I wish everyone the same feeling someday.

Yeah its always great to see a younger generation experience classics of any medium.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I recently found my old SNES. I didn't buy it when it first came out, but I saw it at a garage sale in middle school for $20 or $30 and picked it up. Came with Super Mario World and A Link to the Past. I want to get a couple other games and really enjoy some classic gaming. DKC series and Super Metroid are clear buys for me. I saw DKC3 in a local shop for $40. Is that a reasonable price?

plc268

I recently found my old SNES. I didn't buy it when it first came out, but I saw it at a garage sale in middle school for $20 or $30 and picked it up. Came with Super Mario World and A Link to the Past. I want to get a couple other games and really enjoy some classic gaming. DKC series and Super Metroid are clear buys for me. I saw DKC3 in a local shop for $40. Is that a reasonable price?

No. Unless prices have changed drastically in the last 3 months, you should be able to get the DKC games at $15 on ebay. DKC3 fetched closer to $20, as it's slightly less common. If you get lucky enough, you could probably get all three for $40.

I saw DKC3 in a local shop for $40. Is that a reasonable price?
If it's complete in box. You can get a cart only for cheaper than that.

As for the yellowing consoles, it does seem to be a crap shoot. Fortunately both my regular and mini systems are their original color.

edit: Except that weird splotch on the mini. It was in storage for awhile with the rubber from my Genesis' feet resting on it.

Seik

Banned
I think that what gives that yellow tint is an overexposure to the sun. Mine still have the OG colors.

inner-G

Banned
^ The yellowing is from a chemical in the plastic.

Mine is yellow but my backup (wife's original system) looks brand new.

televator

I was lucky enough to find 2 systems... one yellowed on the bottom front and one on the top. I just took them apart and made one non-yellow SNES. lol!

Top Bottom