• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

womp

Hmm...I didn't realize the demand was so crazy lately....I've always been more of a portables guy over the years with Gameboy/GBA etc.

I'm 39 years old and have my SNES and Genesis carts all packed away for the past 20 years or so in my parents basement....Games like MUSHA included (I was/am a SHMUPS fan and got it from EB at launch for $24).

Maybe I should dig them out. Up until now my much younger brother has been playing with them. :p

Always nice to see people excited about older games around here.

NES related:

There has to be a better way to modding the cases for NES carts rather than just pulling the tabs off. Dont want to buy a dremel just for case modding...so are there any other cheap tools that would make it easier to remove those 4 sections blocking the cart?
What mod are you attempting? What tabs?

Teknoman

What mod are you attempting? What tabs?

Oh lol forgot to mention Universal Game Cases. I've just finished two with some grip pliers, but im not sure if plastic edges can scratch NES carts either. Then again, they dont slide around much.

jbrSMtZeAJdgEu.png

Wereroku

Oh lol forgot to mention Universal Game Cases. I've just finished two with some grip pliers, but im not sure if plastic edges can scratch NES carts either. Then again, they dont slide around much.

jbrSMtZeAJdgEu.png
You can use some heavy paper or cardstock as a buffer. Fine grit sand paper would probably work as well.

kazuo

I only included the bit about piracy as I know that tends to be a concern to folks on this forum. I personally couldn't care less about piracy in general, especially as it relates to retro gaming; I primarily buy originals as I am an enthusiast/collector, but I do support the existence of flash carts for a variety of reasons. Thus, the whole argument about buying to support developers (and it doesn't matter when it comes to used software) isn't really an issue here.

The issue is you're wasting (yes, wasting) money and storage space on your shelf for repro carts when you can just buy a $50 flash cart and play every hacked/translate/dindie ROM you like. You can then use the money you saved to buy legitimate carts instead.

You're also destroying original carts in the process. Yeah, yeah, I know, no one is going to miss NHL '94, but, there are many cases in which games people actually want get destroyed to create repro or bootleg carts, notably when it comes to the Neo Geo AES, and the NES.

If "vanity/artwork/display" comes into play, well, buy SFC carts, because, not only are they cheaper, they look a shitload better on display than SNES carts do.

Purchasing repro carts just makes zero sense to me, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

My two cents.

it's not like i/other don't get what you (or specifically drizzle) are saying here, but it's so subjective a question that i find it weird someone's asking it. it's like me saying "YA'LL PAYING CIB FOR GAMES WITH MANUALS WHERE NO DEVS MAKE MONEY ARE CHUMPS" - why should i assume you guys have the same priorities?

everyone here knows if they buy say Metroid: Ice Metal or Earthbound Zero with the english patch on an NES cart, it's not legit. some of us just think it's cool & worthy of having on one's shelf, like it's own piece of art - and it's neat being able to play shit on your actual NES or soon Retron 5. Moralizing things about many properties/companies long dead doesn't even come to play for me.

but then i just bought an asian bootleg of MUSHA for $15 because i loved that game as a kid, and $300+ sometimes is ridiculous. would i replace it with a legit one if i got a deal on it one day? sure, but it's still just a vanity. there's tons of people who see this thread and ask why the lot of us just don't emulate, for example. to each their own.

Yeah, really sucks that there aren't any cases that just fit NES games. I have so many. Gonna be a while before I feel up to doing that.

Purchasing repro carts just makes zero sense to me, no matter how you try to rationalize it.

I like them and want them. That's all the rationalization I need.

Quackula

You're also destroying original carts in the process. Yeah, yeah, I know, no one is going to miss NHL '94, but, there are many cases in which games people actually want get destroyed to create repro or bootleg carts, notably when it comes to the Neo Geo AES, and the NES.

Not necessarily true, especially with NES. You can get NES repros made entirely from new parts.

Not necessarily true, especially with NES. You can get NES repros made entirely from new parts.

I believe that Retro Quest store that has announced they'll be lowering prices soon does make their SNES repros out of brand new parts. Think he said prices on the common games people use to make repros have been climbing because of it, so he/they/whatever have started using new parts instead.

IrishNinja

I like them and want them. That's all the rationalization I need.

yup - still in awe people wanna tell others what to do with their money here, but it's cool.

and yeah im not cutting a few dozen UGC's to fit my NES carts, i just keep them in a nintendo brand cabinet thing, with the cases & art on their own shelf as a vanity of sorts.

i think i'm done with SNES carts for the moment, Captain Commando's nice but not > $40 nice, and i just spent about that much on Soul Blazer & Sunset Riders both. also is Demonzu Bureizon/Demon's Crest another good SFC candidate, as im assuming there's little to no text?

also, debating returning vs keeping this $5 F-zero...the seller's local, and i just ordered all 3 tools (nintendo, sega & GBA ones) for like $7 shipped, you guys have me thinking i can salvage this one since the connectors look intact anyway

Hmm...I didn't realize the demand was so crazy lately....I've always been more of a portables guy over the years with Gameboy/GBA etc.

I'm 39 years old and have my SNES and Genesis carts all packed away for the past 20 years or so in my parents basement....Games like MUSHA included (I was/am a SHMUPS fan and got it from EB at launch for $24).

Maybe I should dig them out. Up until now my much younger brother has been playing with them. :p

Always nice to see people excited about older games around here.

Sounds like you might be sitting on paydirt. Are you going to sell any of them? I know MUSHA increases in value all the time.

IrishNinja

yeah...you're just always kinda hoping a digital re-release scratches some of the itch, and helps the bubble burst.

that was my hope for reacquiring Suikoden 2, but alas, Konami sucks.

and yeah im not cutting a few dozen UGC's to fit my NES carts, i just keep them in a nintendo brand cabinet thing, with the cases & art on their own shelf as a vanity of sorts.

I figure when I have the space I'll just get my brother and wife to help. Figure it won't be too bad with three people going at it. Gonna be a while before I have to space for it any way. I have black sleeves for almost all of them, so they're not getting all dusty and shit any way.

smbu2000

yeah...you're just always kinda hoping a digital re-release scratches some of the itch, and helps the bubble burst.

that was my hope for reacquiring Suikoden 2, but alas, Konami sucks.
Well they did the suikoden 1&2 re-release on psp in Japan.
Then again the game is common/cheap here. I picked up the psp re-release for my girlfriend and picked up ps1 copies of 1 and 2 for myself. I don't remember what I paid for them, but it was definitely less than 500 yen apiece.

Contra III get, not in the best condition, but it was a good decent price ($25).

Now I think I'm going to hold back for a little bit until I get around to selling some of my doubles.

Or if I find a GOOD deal on something.

haha i am cursed.

i missed 4-5 complete in box snes games, from what i saw it was.
super punch out
donkey kong country 2
xmen
and others

fucking fuck and the guy was old lol, like in his 50's/60's

:/

Does $15 for DKC2 sound alright?

lmao is that guy that took DKC2 selling it to you :p

its an ok price, pretty much average price. buy it though, everyone needs to own DKC2 :D

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the Pop Culture con thing here today. There were some cool games at incredibly silly prices. $70 for Super Mario RPG? $50 for Link to the Past? Come on. One guy had a nice copy of Super Double Dragon for $35. I bought that, seemed like the closest to market value of anything else I saw.

MoxManiac

I believe that Retro Quest store that has announced they'll be lowering prices soon does make their SNES repros out of brand new parts. Think he said prices on the common games people use to make repros have been climbing because of it, so he/they/whatever have started using new parts instead.

Are they still going to use EEPROMs or are they using masked roms?

yup - still in awe people wanna tell others what to do with their money here, but it's cool.

I don't care much what people do with their money in general, but telling people not to buy repro cartridges built from the fundamentally limited supply of source carts is kind of like telling people not to litter -- I'm not going to feel bad about asking people not to contribute to negative externalities just to suit their own desires.

(Repro carts built out of new parts are a bit of a different story.)

Vidiot

Been selling my older games lately since I can play them through various collections or downloadable versions. I've made $105 for Megaman X and X2, and $150 for Megaman X3. Sold a lot of N64 games for $217. Also I currently have my old SNES with two controllers, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Mario Kart, Mario Allstars, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 3, Samurai Shodown, and a Super Gamboy on ebay. It still has two days left and is already at $300!

So anyway I wanted to say thanks because this topic is part of the reason I started to sell my older stuff. It was just sitting in storage anyway.

womp

Which I still don't understand, since the game is $8 on the Wii VC, right now.

Because 20 years from now that cart will most likely boot right up in any Genesis/SNES system you have laying around. Physical is always better for that reason. ;)

Sounds like you might be sitting on paydirt. Are you going to sell any of them? I know MUSHA increases in value all the time.

I don't know about paydirt or not...I have the usual SNES classics such as Castlevania IV, Contra III, Actraiser, Link to the Past...not sure I'd want to sell them, and haven't even checked their value lately. I've been gaming my entire life so I do have some fondness for my things. That said, selling them to fund other aspects of my collecting that I am more focused on? Such as GB/GBA games? I'd be willing to do that. The SNES was a cool system I had at launch day one, much like the Genesis, which I was honestly a bigger fan of but both systems worked together to form the ultimate gaming at the time. I already feel horrible for selling off most of my Sega CD collection 15 years ago on eBay (Games like Snatcher, the Lunar's etc) but I needed the cash at the time.

I'll see. But getting $100+ for MUSHA? No brainer. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

IrishNinja

yeah, watching the prices go up on my SNES collection is cute, but even if earthbound hits 1k i'm not selling it.

so yeah, Demon's Crest on SFC should be fine, yeah? no text in that one for the most part? i'll never see the ending anyway, mind you

I don't care much what people do with their money in general, but telling people not to buy repro cartridges built from the fundamentally limited supply of source carts is kind of like telling people not to litter -- I'm not going to feel bad about asking people not to contribute to negative externalities just to suit their own desires.

(Repro carts built out of new parts are a bit of a different story.)

when madden '96 is lost to the ages, i will take personal responsibility, charlequinns

Teknoman

yeah, watching the prices go up on my SNES collection is cute, but even if earthbound hits 1k i'm not selling it.

so yeah, Demon's Crest on SFC should be fine, yeah? no text in that one for the most part? i'll never see the ending anyway, mind you

when madden '96 is lost to the ages, i will take personal responsibility, charlequinns

Is it that much cheaper? I know the cover art is better.

Lol seriously. People have a hard time as it is to even give away sports games.

Not that all sports game suck, NHL 94 and 96 are fucking awesome and I still play those to this day. Same with NBA Jam and a few select others, but a lot of them were medicore games even back then.

Danielsan

Having just beaten Demon's Crest I'll say that you will be fine for the most part. However, the text introductions of your item upgrades as well as some of the clues given in town will be lost on you.

smbu2000

My latest pickups. Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no kuro manto (aka Pocky and Rocky 1), Kiki Kaikai: Tsukiyo zoushi (aka Pocky and Rocky 2), and Seirei Densetsu Lickle (aka Little Samson). Pocky and Rocky 1/2 weren't too bad as I got 1 for 2,000 yen and 2 for 3,000 yen. That's the cheapest I've seen them for. Boxed copies are much much more expensive.
Oh I'm glad I found a copy of Little Samson!

Well you could always just play the Genesis version of Madden 96!
I picked up the Genesis versions of Madden 94 and Bill Walsh College Football, not too long ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47835889&postcount=1497

Credo

So I've been tempted by Harvest Moon yet again, and then this thought occurred to me. Of all the Harvest Moon games that have been made, is Harvest Moon SNES considered to be the best or even top-tier among them all? If it's just mediocre, then that would really help me to talk myself out of dropping way too much cash on the game.

Top Bottom