• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Linkhero1

Got Goof Troop working. Very easy. :)

Make sure your hakchi is not set to compress the game.
Now browse to the /snes_games/ folder and find the one for Goof Troop.
Open the .sfrom file in a hex editor.
Scroll allllll the way down, and change this 15 to a 14.

nILxmWK.png

Hit save, sync games, enjoy Goof Troop.
Care to elaborate on the fix? Not sure I follow why this worked.

The main reason for the border was that the artwork would "sit" directly on the border of the SNESC UI, and backing it down a few pixels still bled the BG through. I'll have to double check on the selection box rounding and see how it looks. Thanks for the tips!
I think it would look nice if you just deleted the selection boxes altogether. You can do that by editing /usr/share/ui/sprites/packed.png. I did it anyway, because I think they are rather ugly to begin with.

Arkanius

I need help getting my GBC RetroArch core working:
It's set up like this, but I just get a black screen.
Tried running on RetroArch on my PC and it works fine (same ROM dump)

/bin/gbc /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-HUMXM/Legend_of_Zelda__The_-_Link_s_Awakening_DX_(USA__Europe).srm.7z --retroarch

EDIT:

Discovered what I was doing wrong. I was uploading the savestate :|

nILxmWK.png

Thanks, will try this tomorrow.

How do you figure this stuff out?

JP

Yep. I messaged mntorankusu and he knew what was up.

I simply had to set the permissions for one of the files. He edited his post to add the important info. So, you can simply follow his post here to get it done.

Scanlines with no blur:

It is beautiful.

I'm curious if it is the same on the NES classic, 'cause I can't stand the blurriness there either.
This is far closer to how these games should, I don't understand how Nintendo got it so wrong with the blurring.

Robin64

Care to elaborate on the fix? Not sure I follow why this worked.

That offset in the footer is set to 15 for HiROM and 14 for LoROM. Goof Troop is a LoROM but hakchi is setting it to be a HiROM.

How do you figure this stuff out?

Oh this one wasn't too bad, I still have the Python script from before hakchi was a thing, so I compared the file that made to the one hakchi made, and this was the difference it found. :)

LordRaptor

This is far closer to how these games should, I don't understand how Nintendo got it so wrong with the blurring.

Consumer grade CRTS were blurry with non-square pixels, overscan, colour bleed, and a host of other issues.
If you think these games ever looked like they do in a pixel perfect emulator in real life, your memory is probably playing tricks on you.

PMS341

I think it would look nice if you just deleted the selection boxes altogether. You can do that by editing /usr/share/ui/sprites/packed.png. I did it anyway, because I think they are rather ugly to begin with.

Oh. :3 Now this I can get behind. Does it require FTP access, or can it be done via hakchi2?

That offset in the footer is set to 15 for HiROM and 14 for LoROM. Goof Troop is a LoROM but hakchi is setting it to be a HiROM.

Oh this one wasn't too bad, I still have the Python script from before hakchi was a thing, so I compared the file that made to the one hakchi made, and this was the difference it found. :)

Good stuff all the same, thanks man :).

Proc

Anyone figure out how to show more small snes box games in the preview feed?

It being able to scroll would also be nice.

It should be fine for using on your NES too. You could always download 2.18 and have a seperate folder if you want, but you shouldn't have to.

If you're worried, just get 2.17d. That was the last NES-only release afaik.

Thank you both! Man Hakchi2 really is idiot proof, I was trying to follow the directions and watching a YouTube video and I'm pretty sure I fucked up multiple times doing all the steps and somehow, inexplicably, it all worked and now I can play Rescue Rangers with my dad on Monday :D

So if I want to add more games, I just plug it back in to my computer, turn it on, run Hakchi and sync the new file? I don't have to go through putting it into developer mode or anything? Wow this is so cool, can't wait till Kirby, Bust a Move, and Krusty are working to bless my SNES Classic with them.

SOLDIER

nILxmWK.png

Good job.

Is any progress being made (by anyone in the modding scene) to get Rudrass or Seiken Densetsu 3 working?

Santar

More and more reports of games having problems are showing up.
Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 are reportedly having audio issues andall the Super Star Wars games are having severe lag issues.
Disappointing if true.

nILxmWK.png

Great work! Hopefully we can get other problematic games figured out (I'm hoping for SSF2 myself at the moment).

LordRaptor

More and more reports of games having problems are showing up.
Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 are reportedly having audio issues andall the Super Star Wars games are having severe lag issues.
Disappointing if true.

From what I've seen, most every time someone reports audio issues / stuttering, its because they're using a PAL ROM

DonMigs85

If I have 62 games in a page, that doesn't cause problems with savestates like on the NES mini right? Or should I stick to 30?

soundtest

Banned
Seems that Goof Troop had the same issue that another capcom game had earlier , Great Circus Mystery. Gives me hope that SSF2 is just another misread of a hirom/lorom.

Robin64

3DS/Wii Virtual Consoles are a very good place to get ROMs, easy to homebrew those systems and dump the ROMs from there. :)

ParityBit

So I decided I would take this slow. I was able to hack the system and add a couple of games. I also hid a game (Super Mario World) and added All Stars + SMW. I also added some custom art (Thanks PMS341 - Love the full box versions).

So I guess the next question (?) is how to change some of the icons down below on the scroll. I know you did some Robin64?

Edit: Or is it better to find a way to get rid of them all together?

is there some variance to how much storage can be available on a specific unit, or do i possibly have some junk files remaining somewhere?

BOV0xdo.png

image in the OP says 300MB where i have 258.2 available. this is after a complete uninstall, original kernel flash, factory reset, and reflash of custom kernel in 2.0.20.15 with no games added yet

XaosWolf

This is probably silly to some but I'm trying to get the Game Grumps edition/patch of Kirby's Dream Course working. (152 new levels!)

I either get a garbled screen on startup or a black screen. Not a crash but definitely not playable.

Quixzlizx

is there some variance to how much storage can be available on a specific unit, or do i possibly have some junk files remaining somewhere?

BOV0xdo.png

image in the OP says 300MB where i have 258.2 available. this is after a complete uninstall, original kernel flash, factory reset, and reflash of custom kernel in 2.0.20.15 with no games added yet

Do you have Retroarch modules installed?

Is there any way to modify the firmware so the controller reset button combination (L+R+Select+Start) will bring up the SNES Classic's menu instead of resetting the game? It would be handy to be able to do this instead of getting up to press reset. :)

Whales

Banned
Is there any way to modify the firmware so the controller reset button combination (L+R+Select+Start) will bring up the SNES Classic's menu instead of resetting the game? It would be handy to be able to do this instead of getting up to press reset. :)

I asked the same question earlier

if you did the hack you now have the option to press down + select and it brings you back to the home menu, which is great

EoinOL

This appears to have totally bricked my mini SNES.

I installed it, followed the steps, connected the SNES, and started the kernel dump, and that appeared to be progressing well, until the end when it said "can't unpack ramdisk".

I figured that wasn't great so tried again, and got other messages including "device with such vid and pid not found" and "can't write to USB".

After this I tested on a TV and nothing - no signal, no LED, and the charger that I'm using has a light that indicates a device is drawing power and that doesn't change colour so the SNES doesn't even appear to be starting.

Back on PC, Hakchi acts like it's an inert lump of plastic - connecting it does nothing, it's not recognised as a device, and the process to dump the kernel no longer starts.

So that's great.

I presume I'm out of options here but if anyone has any suggestions they'd be very much appreciated.

FSLink

Banned

I installed it, followed the steps, connected the SNES, and started the kernel dump, and that appeared to be progressing well, until the end when it said "can't unpack ramdisk".

I figured that wasn't great so tried again, and got other messages including "device with such vid and pid not found" and "can't write to USB".

After this I tested on a TV and nothing - no signal, no LED, and the charger that I'm using has a light that indicates a device is drawing power and that doesn't change colour so the SNES doesn't even appear to be starting.

Back on PC, Hakchi acts like it's an inert lump of plastic - connecting it does nothing, it's not recognised as a device, and the process to dump the kernel no longer starts.

So that's great.

I presume I'm out of options here but if anyone has any suggestions they'd be very much appreciated.

Are you using the USB cable that came with it?

Robin64

The image in the OP is simply from a beta version where the actual storage amount wasn't fully known.

Any fix for great circus mystery? Getting a black screen.

As long as you're on the latest version of hakchi, this works. Older versions wouldn't convert it properly.

fooish101

So that's great.

Are you able to uninstall via Hakchi? I'm assuming you have tried this but just throwing it out there just in case. You should be able to recover as long as you as you have a backup of the original kernel.

Be sure you are holding down the reset button when you power on the snes when you connect it to your computer.

Good luck!

The007JiM

Great Stuff. Playing Killer Instinct since yesterday.

My artist side wants to make some backgrounds but i have some noob questions.

Note that in future you do not need to hold reset. Simply have the SNES Mini attached to your PC and turned on, you will be able to sync new games while it is in that state.

Do i need to hold reset every time i need to connect the snes to my computer for transfer new games or this is just for the first time?

Make a file called "p8173_ownbgs" (no extension)

How do i do that? Creating a txt with notepad++ and erasing the .txt extension in the windows folder is enough or there is another way?

You also need to enter down to line 2, or the file won't work and you will soft-brick your SNES.

In that new file i should jump to line 2 pressing enter and paste the code?
I don't want to mess up this.

The SNES Mini also, like every other device in existence, supports Retroarch. Download those modules here. Instructions on how to use it are on that page, and this will allow you to emulate games that the stock emulator can't, such as Star Ocean.

I'm not sure how to install retroarch. i downloaded and unzipped the content, but the instructions on that web says to use drag and drop in the hakchi window and that's not working for me.

I'm not sure if is a windows problem. (Win10 plus creators update pack)

Thanks in advance if anyone want to answer these.

Robin64

Initially yes (and this might be what started the problems), but I have now tried with multiple other USB cables (and across multiple PCs) without success.

Only use the one that came with it, first off.

So what happens now if you hold reset, turn it on, and keep holding reset. Does the PC make a noise?

EoinOL

Are you able to uninstall via Hakchi? I'm assuming you have tried this but just throwing it out there just in case. You should be able to recover as long as you as you have a backup of the original kernel.

Be sure you are holding down the reset button when you power on the snes when you connect it to your computer.

Good luck!

I don't have the kernel. That's the step that failed. I'm not sure I'd be able to recover even with that since the SNES no longer appears to be reacting in any way to anything.

EoinOL

So what happens now if you hold reset, turn it on, and keep holding reset. Does the PC make a noise?
No. Literally nothing happens. Earlier I was able to get Hakchi to at least give me error messages (the ones I mentioned here) but now it does nothing.

Top Bottom