• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Psxphile

My copy of hoshi no kirby 3 is strangely turning into the english version when i add it via hackchi, the title screen is in english as is the nintendo logo on bootup but when i try the same version in zsnes it plays in it's proper japanese form.

I have no idea whats going on lol

WTF? How does that work?

Japanese cart probably had the localized version on it already (JP released several months after NA). If you slapped it into a North America SNES it'll detect the region and switch. Seems like a common thing these days, strange to see it happening way back in the 90s, though.

doesn't look like you'll be able to play Hoshi no Kirby 3 on that classic, bud
need the super-fami mini

Psxphile

You know, there's one sure-fire way to find out.

Anyway, I looked at the spreadsheet and was baffled about why, unlike the other Dragon quests on there, 3 is labeled as "US" for region and doesn't state what translation hack was tested in both instances.

Did a quick search, and it seems the translation patch is the reason it breaks compatibility, an un-altered copy will load up on the mini.

DonMigs85

So I was able to Hex edit and apply the IPS patch to Tetris & Dr. Mario. It now fits correctly within the border, but won't respond to button input once you're on the "choose game" screen!
Heeelp

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Got a question, checked a couple of pages and didnt see it answered.

If a rom is said to not work, such as Terranigma, is it a matter of waiting for hakchi to get better or for someone to figure out something that a user at home would have to do to the rom itself?

ReyVGM

Japanese cart probably had the localized version on it already (JP released several months after NA). If you slapped it into a North America SNES it'll detect the region and switch. Seems like a common thing these days, strange to see it happening way back in the 90s, though.

need the super-fami mini

The SNES had no region switch, so this wouldn't happen on a real SNES. I don't know if the SNES Classic has one though.

need the super-fami mini

That's the thing, he does have the SFC mini.

dock

Can anyone recommend games for my girlfriend? She struggles with game difficult and complex games, but enjoys 2D Mario on Wii U and we co-oped Yoshi’s Wooly World, and she spent a hundred hours on Zelda BOTW.

She hates boss fights and ghost houses. I think the complex Yoshi’s Island levels will be too much for her (I get lost in them all the time).

bronk

Banned
Can anyone recommend games for my girlfriend? She struggles with game difficult and complex games, but enjoys 2D Mario on Wii U and we co-oped Yoshi’s Wooly World, and she spent a hundred hours on Zelda BOTW.

She hates boss fights and ghost houses. I think the complex Yoshi’s Island levels will be too much for her (I get lost in them all the time).

Random games off top of my head.
Bonkers, Joe and Mac, Doremi Fantasy

Also check out Young Merlin an adventure game with puzzles. Me and the gf played it together and she loved it.

Play Tetris Attack with her.

Robin64

Got a question, checked a couple of pages and didnt see it answered.

If a rom is said to not work, such as Terranigma, is it a matter of waiting for hakchi to get better or for someone to figure out something that a user at home would have to do to the rom itself?

Usually when someone figures something out, Cluster will integrate that into hakchi himself. Sadly that hasn't been true for Illusion of Gaia and Street Fighter Alpha 2, though. But it's usually up to "us" to figure out how to get it work, Cluster is happy with telling people to use Retroarch and has no real interest in looking at specific game solutions. "If Canoe can't run it, that's that" kind of thing.

I don't think there's anything better for easy co-op than Kirby Superstar and that's included.

D.Lo

No, this is not how it worked on SNES. The Super Famicom and USA models were the same region and the only lockout was physical.

The only games with English support have them explicitly via menus, eg Super Metroid.

Some Sega games did this. Around 40% of Mark III games play in English when played on a NA/PAL Master System and vice versa, and same with many early Mega Drive games.

ReyVGM

Random games off top of my head.
Bonkers, Joe and Mac, Doremi Fantasy

Also check out Young Merlin an adventure game with puzzles. Me and the gf played it together and she loved it.

Are you kidding? With the exception of Doremi, all those games would be too difficult for her. Specially Young Merlin which has like a million paths.

A good game for her would be Mario World, Megaman X, Castlevania 4, and Kirby Superstar. Those are some of the easier games on the SNES Classic. If she digs adventure games, then Zelda is the easiest one she's going to get.

The only games with English support have them explicitly via menus, eg Super Metroid.

In Super Metroid's case, there's no Japanese or US version. There's only one ROM version which was packaged differently depending on the region.

keep

If she finds the controls in Kirby difficult I would suggest avoiding Castlevania IV and Mega Man X altogether...

It doesn't get much easier than Kirby co-op for platforming games. Maybe the Capcom Disney games, Magical Quest and Great Circus Mystery?

I would suggest Secret of Mana as it doesn't rely on hand-eye coordination that much and you can always white-knight her out of hairy situations. It's a long game and it gets quite grindy towards the end so she may lose interest.

Phoenixus

Is anyone else using the 8bitdo wireless receiver with their SNES Mini? Seem to have issues with the system when it's plugged in, namely blank screens after selecting a save state and switching the unit on. Has been happening even before I hacked it, seems to be less of an issue with a regular controller plugged in.

Sorry, slightly off topic, but is there a NES Classic hacking thread? I wanted to get you guys' opinions of the best NES games missing from the NES Classic.

I do have a SNES Classic but it's going to be a Christmas present so I'm taking the opportunity to actually use the NES Classic I bought last year as I've hardly used it.

I was a Sega user growing up so there's a lot of games on both systems I haven't played (or played very little of).

Sorry, slightly off topic, but is there a NES Classic hacking thread? I wanted to get you guys' opinions of the best NES games missing from the NES Classic.

I do have a SNES Classic but it's going to be a Christmas present so I'm taking the opportunity to actually use the NES Classic I bought last year as I've hardly used it.

I was a Sega user growing up so there's a lot of games on both systems I haven't played (or played very little of).

Tetris
Batman
DuckTales
Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Battletoads
Mega Man
Mega Man 3
Contra
Dragon Warrior IV
Kickle Cubicle
The Adventures of Lolo (any)
Maniac Mansion
Metal Storm
Blaster Master
Castlevania 3
Bionic Commando
Baseball Stars
Ice Hockey
Bomberman II
Little Samson
Felix the Cat
TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project
Vice: Project Doom
Ninja Gaiden 2
Mighty Final Fight
Adventure Island (all)
Life Force
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Guardian Legend

That'll get you started.

Impotaku

need the super-fami mini

That's the thing though, i ripped my cart & i'm playing it on a super famciom mini. Im wondering if the header/patch that hackchi uses to make it work has made it trigger it's english version?

D.Lo

In Super Metroid's case, there's no Japanese or US version. There's only one ROM version which was packaged differently depending on the region.
Well yes that is pretty obvious when the US version has Japanese in it too...

I haven't noticed any at all. Plus is an action RPG, not Ninja Garden.
ninja_garden_only_for_xbox_by_arcty.jpg

LOUD915

How do I add a game to the compatibility spreadsheet?

I've gotten 4-5 freezes during a game of MLBPA Baseball so I'm thinking the game has issues on the custom firmware.

Here's some:

Ducktales 1/2
R.C. Pro-AM
Blaster Master
Metal Storm
Zoda's Revenge - StarTropics II
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - The Manhatten Project
Life Force
Batman: Return of the Joker
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Gradius
Faxanadu
Battle of Olympus
Crystalis
Castlevania II /w bisquit patch
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Mega Man I, II-VI
Dragon Quest/Warrior 3/4
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Monster in my Pocket
Maniac Mansion
Bionic Commando
Super Turrican
Gargoyle's Quest II
Wizards & Warriors 1/2/3
Rainbow Islands (UK version by Ocean which is far superior to the JP/US version)
Shadowgate
Parodius
Parodius Da!
Parasol Stars

Super Turrican & Rainbow Islands are PAL games, dunno how well they run on the nes classic.

Maybe A Boy and His Blob, Swords and Serpents and Rygar too, but I haven't replayed them in a long time so they may not hold up.

Some will need retroarch due to unsupported mappers. There's a lot of other cool games I haven't listed, especially famicom-only ones. If you go to romhacking.net there's translation patches for some of the text heavy ones, but with a lot of the 8bit era stuff there's little text anyway, so a substantial part of the famicom library is pretty playable even without a patch.

Is anyone else using the 8bitdo wireless receiver with their SNES Mini? Seem to have issues with the system when it's plugged in, namely blank screens after selecting a save state and switching the unit on. Has been happening even before I hacked it, seems to be less of an issue with a regular controller plugged in.
Try a different power supply. The SNES mini is quite fussy.

I've gotten 4-5 freezes during a game of MLBPA Baseball so I'm thinking the game has issues on the custom firmware.
Custom firmware doesn't change the bundled emulation. So you mean that it doesn't work on Canoe - the SNES mini emulator. It's an important distinction.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
syIn1Ti.png
c6CXy3j.png
qM3ooT5.png
voSJvvv.png
DaBK4ks.png

So, there was a special edition of Super Play released recently to coincide with the SNES Mini's launch. Near the back they have a list of games they would have loved to have seen on the mini, basically a list of 21 alternative good SNES games,

Thought I'd make some more box art based on some of their listings (coincidentally, I'd already done some with my previous batches)

Do-Re-Mi Fantasy is a Japanese only title so had complete freedom to design that cover. I based the logo off of a translation patch I found and the green was chosen because GIS found the cover of a book for it which used that as a border colour.

While it was a late SNES game (1996) I decided to go with the old style of box template, because it seems around that time third parties were still using it rather than the newer NCL template.

You can probably tell that I only did part of the list as I've finished on D, but making a completely new cover, especially with limited art resources, does take a little while, so I feel a little break is due.

LOUD915

Try a different power supply. The SNES mini is quite fussy.

Custom firmware doesn't change the bundled emulation. So you mean that it doesn't work on Canoe - the SNES mini emulator. It's an important distinction.

Correct. Sorry I should’ve specified.

Stock emulation caused the game freeze for me a few times.

LOUD915

Sorry, do you know this for a fact? Are you involved in the current efforts to get it working?

Completely arm chairing it.

I’m hoping it gets fixed, but I’m more than happy using Retroarch for Gaia and Terranigma.

I’m a few hours into Gaia now and I’ve noticed absolutely no emulation issues or input lag.

TheMoon

syIn1Ti.png
c6CXy3j.png
qM3ooT5.png
voSJvvv.png
DaBK4ks.png

So, there was a special edition of Super Play released recently to coincide with the SNES Mini's launch. Near the back they have a list of games they would have loved to have seen on the mini, basically a list of 21 alternative good SNES games,

Thought I'd make some more box art based on some of their listings (coincidentally, I'd already done some with my previous batches)

Do-Re-Mi Fantasy is a Japanese only title so had complete freedom to design that cover. I based the logo off of a translation patch I found and the green was chosen because GIS found the cover of a book for it which used that as a border colour.

While it was a late SNES game (1996) I decided to go with the old style of box template, because it seems around that time third parties were still using it rather than the newer NCL template.

You can probably tell that I only did part of the list as I've finished on D, but making a completely new cover, especially with limited art resources, does take a little while, so I feel a little break is due.

something about the red background and the green of the enix logo is clashing for me.

otherwise, all this does is make me wanna spend money I don't have on cib snes games on ebay :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is there a patch or anything For Seiken Densetsu 3 yet to make it play properly on the classic either with retroarch or not?

No. Not yet, at least.

The game plays fine, as far as I can tell, though. The high-res mode issue only affects the menus... and it's not that bad either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
something about the red background and the green of the enix logo is clashing for me.

I can only assume the box was designed by a marketing committee who concluded making their logo an eyesore against the box's base colour would psychologically draw people's eyes towards it. That and the need to have a blurb with text five times bigger than anyone else's. I mean, it's the only blurb you can still read when shrunk down!

TheMoon

I can only assume the box was designed by a marketing committee who concluded making their logo an eyesore against the box's base colour would psychologically draw people's eyes towards it. That and the need to have a blurb with text five times bigger than anyone else's. I mean, it's the only blurb you can still read when shrunk down!

ORDO AB CHAO!!!

Chittagong

Gold Member

Very cool. I think the choice of template is right, essentially all PAL third party games, including Australia and Germany/NOE used old NCL style template.

Aside of Jungle Book AUS, I haven’t found that any third party game ever used the new NCL template (Square, Enix and Taito were treated like first party as Nintendo published their games in PAL regions).

Jungle Book AUS is the weirdest box actually. The label is clearly new NCL style, but the box is a weird mix of new NCL and NOE style.

An interesting question is that were third party games allowed to use a texture or gradient instead of a solid colour in the old NCL style template. First party games used textures a lot (Sim City, Starwing, DKC, Super Mario All-Stars, Killer Instict, from the top of my mind).

Top Bottom