• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateeko

Oh. True. What about something the fucker won't chew up and ruin?

Spray some bitter spray on the cord, when we had dogs there was a bitter apple spray we got from petsmart that we sprayed on some cords.

That or show the cat the cord and teach it to leave it alone when it tries to chew on it. I have never had cats and don't know how trainable your cat is, but some day it is going to electrocute itself chewing on cords.

Prophane33

SNES Classic isn't powered by USB C, it's powered by old fashioned regular ass USB.

Actually it's Micro-USB. For some reason I thought Micro-USB = USB C for some reason, but that's apparently something else entirely. A "regular ass" USB cable would be two large sides, which the USB cable that charges the SNES mini is not. It's a micro-usb cable. (One tiny end (e.g. that connects to android phones/PS4 controllers) and a large end (for PCs, TVs, and whatnot). But yes, if you meant it's not using any specifically different standard you are absolutely right. Any USB cable you use for a phone should work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Actually it's Micro-USB. For some reason I thought Micro-USB = USB C for some reason, but that's apparently something else entirely. A "regular ass" USB cable would be two large sides, which the USB cable that charges the SNES mini is not. It's a micro-usb cable. (One tiny end (e.g. that connects to android phones/PS4 controllers) and a large end (for PCs, TVs, and whatnot). But yes, it's not using any specifically different standard. Any USB cable you use for a phone should work.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but no one makes anything running USB Type A connectors anymore, haha. All peripherals use micro-USB of some kind, and printers or large hard drives typically use Type B. It's probably been ten years since there's been a widely used USB Type A cable.

Some quick thoughts on games I've been playing recently, all for the first time:

Super Punch-Out: Feels a lot easier than the NES original, although maybe that's due to input lag which some say was more noticeable in the NES Classic? Still gets wildly difficult near the end as I anticipated. Game just oozes personality.

Mega Man X: Soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. Nothing tops Armored Armadillo's music. As someone who's only previous Mega Man experience was up to MM4 on the NES, this feels like a great progression of the series.

Final Fantasy III/VI: This is what I wanted out of an RPG. Disappointed by Secret of Mana but I'm ~2-3 hours in to FF and am ready to enjoy the ride. Random encounter rate seems real high and a bit annoying but apparently that's because I'm using the sprint shoes.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Once again disproving the myth that rpgs of any era are generally 50+ hours... I beat Secret of Mana in just over 18! An think of how much faster it coulda been had I not pointlessly grinded every magic to Level 7!

Its been like 20 years or something since I had last played this an I still remembered the glitch back into and out of Potos trick, along with my magic grinding location! There was alot I'd remembered and forgotten along the way. The early game kinda bites while the mid to late game is good outside of some cruel difficulty spikes. Lotsa rooms of baddies that you'll be worse off for fighting than not that I'd just ignore an run through! I really don't get some of the late game plot points but story was never the games strong point anyhow. Overall fun times were had!

TheMoon

Once again disproving the myth that rpgs of any era are generally 50+ hours... I beat Secret of Mana in just over 18! An think of how much faster it coulda been had I not pointlessly grinded every magic to Level 7!

Its been like 20 years or something since I had last played this an I still remembered the glitch back into and out of Potos trick, along with my magic grinding location! There was alot I'd remembered and forgotten along the way. The early game kinda bites while the mid to late game is good outside of some cruel difficulty spikes. Lotsa rooms of baddies that you'll be worse off for fighting than not that I'd just ignore an run through! I really don't get some of the late game plot points but story was never the games strong point anyhow. Overall fun times were had!

most of the snes rpgs were a lot shorter. the 50+ hour era started after that

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
most of the snes rpgs were a lot shorter. the 50+ hour era started after that
Pretty sure thats not what I've been told but I guess different people got different goalposts! In my experience the 50+ hours on average era never existed in the first place!

edit! also since Mana doesn't track gameplay time I was always curious how long the game was. so when I started this playthrough with my manual tracking I had no idea what to expect in terms of length!

So has anyone else tried the Kirby Superstar Samurai game on this thing?

I beat cuphead on normal difficulty, but there's no way I can react fast enough to win even the beginner stage. On a CRT, it was no big deal.

Spray some bitter spray on the cord, when we had dogs there was a bitter apple spray we got from petsmart that we sprayed on some cords.

That or show the cat the cord and teach it to leave it alone when it tries to chew on it. I have never had cats and don't know how trainable your cat is, but some day it is going to electrocute itself chewing on cords.

I don't think you (or your cat) can electrocute on an USB cable, the voltage is too low, isn't it?
As for training them not to chew them... it's possible, but not exactly easy.

Pretty sure thats not what I've been told but I guess different people got different goalposts! In my experience the 50+ hours on average era never existed in the first place!

It did exist, in the PSX era. All FF games on PSX including FFT, Chrono Cross, Xenogears... most of these will last you well over 50 hours.

I’m using the Hori Fighting Commander wireless pad and it’s working great. Only thing I don’t like is the battery bump on the back of it. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

You might be in the minority. See the Amazon reviews (one of which left by me).

I had two of them and they had the most god awful dpad I've experienced in years. Diagonals require a ridiculously hard press to register. I couldn't even walk in a circle in Secret of Mana reliably.

A few here and there say they are fine, or better after disassembling them or loosening the screws.

I'll wait and hope the new 8bitdo dpad is better than it was on the current models.

The current 8bitdo pad is flaky but serviceable. The Hori was awful. I think I'd prefer an OG xbox360 dpad and that is saying something.

iidesuyo

In a perfect world, there would be Super Probotector @60Hz instead of Contra III.

But you can't have everything.

Seriously, those 90's Japanese robots are so much cooler and fit the game better than the wannebe 80's action stars.

cut-scenes.png

Hawk269

Was able to walk into GS at lunch and pick one up. They had a Hori 6 button wireless controller in-stock as well. I picked it up, but have not opened it yet. Anyone use it before and is it good?

Thanks!

Ashby

Was able to walk into GS at lunch and pick one up. They had a Hori 6 button wireless controller in-stock as well. I picked it up, but have not opened it yet. Anyone use it before and is it good?

Thanks!

Was about to come in here for wireless controller recommendations myself. I've seen a lot of talk about 8bitdo but their controller isn't available until December, looking for alternatives.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
guys how the FUCK do I open the USB door thing? I almost broke the thing.

it's basically a cover lid that you have to pry open. It's sort of strapped to the bottom of the console.

Thanks. Yeah you have to pull.

That shit is even tinnier than I thought it would be!
If you're prying hard you're doing it wrong. Hook your finger in under the bottom of it where you'll find a little notch. It'll pop open with no force.

Ashby

...you guys are talking about the controller flap on the front, right? Otherwise there's some secret compartment I did not know about.

D.Lo

In a perfect world, there would be Super Probotector @60Hz instead of Contra III.
Super Probotector has NO Pal optimisation, like most 3rd party games. It works perfectly in 60Hz on a Super Fami with a converter, or on a 60Hz modded SNES. The latter is what I used most of the generation.

I like both myself, except for Hard Corps, already a crummy Contra game (it's 40% cutscene, 90% boss rush, has shit robot fart music and fucking Poochy as a playable character), it was an even worse Probo game, really crap robots in it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Super Mario Kart
Secret of Mana
???

Think I'll give Mario World a go next? Could use some non-rpg stuff between my usual rpg rush. Maybe I'll do 1 world a day! Sure I could beat it in 1 sitting but it may be alil more interesting taking it in chunks.

It did exist, in the PSX era. All FF games on PSX including FFT, Chrono Cross, Xenogears... most of these will last you well over 50 hours.
FF7 and Xenogears don't unless ya go all in on grinding and doing every last lil optional thing! My XG time from last year was 49 hours and that included hours of extremely pointless endgame grinding to see all the deathblows I'd never seriously have a chance ta use in battle (since its welllllll before that point that it became Gear Battles: The Game). I can't name a single PS1 rpg I've played that took 50 or more hours just ta clear the story! I mighta just got lucky an only ended up playing the goo... er short rpgs!

Gartooth

The fuck is with this Yoshi race in Super Mario RPG!? I was having fun with the game until this point but I can't get this rhythm down.

So Star Fox doesn't keep track of your scores, correct? I can see on the menu that it says there are no on-cart saves, but I find it weird that the map displays a blank score for each route. It makes me think they intended to have the game keep record but never instituted it.

So has anyone else tried the Kirby Superstar Samurai game on this thing?

I beat cuphead on normal difficulty, but there's no way I can react fast enough to win even the beginner stage. On a CRT, it was no big deal.

FWIW, I've never been good at those kind of reaction time games but I kept losing to Dedede on the Beginner difficulty. I don't think I could ever get better than a 16 which seems really bad. How much of this is due to input lag in my TV and/or the Classic itself, I have no idea.

DoomGyver

So I received my 8bitdo retro bluetooth receivers and snes30 wireless controllers today, updated the firmware on both. The button mapping is off for some reason. B is Y, Y is X, X is A, and A is B. I don't know what I did, maybe I should go back to the older firmware? Anyone else have this problem?

FF3 is harder than I remembered. There are tons of battles where you can die in a hit or two unless you're constantly healing, especially in scenarios with one character. Or maybe I'm just weak from playing newer RPGs where you can basically just mash attack.

LOUD915

FF3 is harder than I remembered. There are tons of battles where you can die in a hit or two unless you're constantly healing, especially in scenarios with one character. Or maybe I'm just weak from playing newer RPGs where you can basically just mash attack.

Even for the time, FF3 is pretty easy other than a few spots.

I think attack was my least used action in that game. The skills and magic were insanely overpowered.

Only time you should be attacking is when you get the genji glove and the offering.

I don't remember having a problem with the sand boss in Probotector when I was a kid. But that spinning sand shit is fucking stupid. *shelved forever*

LiK

Opened the EU version and my goodness, it’s so cute.

Also happy the My Nintendo points worked. Guess that’s region-free as well.

US version didn’t include any points so that was a bummer.

But you can't have everything.

Seriously, those 90's Japanese robots are so much cooler and fit the game better than the wannebe 80's action stars.

cut-scenes.png

Haha, holy shit! Those robots look like that thing from that dumbass Neill Blomkamp movie.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but no one makes anything running USB Type A connectors anymore, haha. All peripherals use micro-USB of some kind, and printers or large hard drives typically use Type B. It's probably been ten years since there's been a widely used USB Type A cable.

I think the last printer I bought used Type A but yeah it's pretty much all Mini and mostly Micro these days. Hopefully the future is Type-C all the way.

Gartooth

The fuck is with this Yoshi race in Super Mario RPG!? I was having fun with the game until this point but I can't get this rhythm down.

So I finally beat Boshi by alternating AA BB as fast as I could with my two index fingers. Getting into that rhythm helped, but then I got cocky and bet all my Yoshi Cookies on a second race. I'm back to where I started! ;_;

Haha, holy shit! Those robots look like that thing from that dumbass Neill Blomkamp movie.

They're probably based on Briareos from the seminal Appleseed manga from the 80's:
aplayeleleya56url.jpg

Incidentally, Chappie is a) probably also inspired by Briareos design-wise, and b) quite possibly the absolute worst movie I've ever seen in my 40 years of life. Seriously, I'm getting angry just remembering it exists. :mad:

D.Lo

They're probably based on Briareos from the seminal Appleseed manga from the 80's:
aplayeleleya56url.jpg

Incidentally, Chappie is a) probably also inspired by Briareos design-wise, and b) quite possibly the absolute worst movie I've ever seen in my 40 years of life. Seriously, I'm getting angry just remembering it exists. :mad:
No they are almost certainly based primarily on Patlabor.

latest

Even the name is similar, it was the big new Anime at the time of the game's release, and they are military/police robots.

I started playing Earthbound.

Jeff has joined the party. Things are getting weird.

The dad keeps calling and telling me to take a break, no thanks.

My mum just called IRL and I told her I'm not homesick anymore, thanks mum.

Now I'm at this alien mole village? Time to get some fresh air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom