• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcastar

Got one preordered, but still not sure if I really want to pay €150 for one (that's what Finnish retailers are asking for it, the price-gouging assholes).

I assume (hope) this means Micro-B USB and not the USB-C reversible that some phones use, because I only have the former. :p

Yeah the back of the unit is micro input. This is the NES classic back but same thing basically.
pb070227.jpg

ZFallen

Neo Member
Have the Australian edition coming, hoping my TV can power it as I think we won't be getting a power adaptor packaged in. TV's USB usually send power right?

Got it early since yesterday. It's an awesome little piece of nostalgia, especially since SNES was my real "first console".

The selection of games is great, even if you could always add some more, due to SNES having one of the most impressive libraries ever.

Controller feels good and just like my memories. It's funny because I compared it to the SNES Wii Controller I got from the Nintendo Website, the grain of material is a little different, same with the cord length (SNES Mini's is longer).

It's still annoying to go to the reset button to go back to the main menu, but well.

The rewind function is smartly designed, it allows you to rewind for about 30 seconds before a point where you did a save state. It's cool because you can go back before a mistake you did allowing you to beat games with crushing difficulty or with more ease but it's not super convenient or easy to do (Reset button => Save state => Rewind) so you'd not abuse it.

I played SMW, Zelda ALTTP, Secret of Mana, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox and Star Fox 2, and emulation was good.
I forgot how good Yoshi's Island looked.
I also forgot how shit Star Fox ran lol, you can feel the SNES is agonizing over rendering those polygons, even with the SuperFX chip ha ha. The game is still amazingly crafted for a 1993 game imho, and fun to replay. Not convinced it will be fun to people who discover it in 2017 though.

I reckon GameStop IE are going to fail to cancel the additional order I have lying around (I asked Friday morning and they still haven't got back to me, gonna call this morning and chase em up) so if I end up with an extra I'm very happy to sell on at UK cost + shipping to UK-GAF. Don't know for sure, I'll post again when I do. Or is there a specific thread I should use for that?

It's such a mess we basically have to use unconventional sources to get these. I'm excited but man, some of the CS has been awful.

I also forgot how shit Star Fox ran lol, you can feel the SNES is agonizing over rendering those polygons, even with the SuperFX chip ha ha.

But OP told me all games on this run at 60fps! /s

Nice impressions. I'm very happy they added the rewind feature. I hope it will still work with added games if/when this gets hacked.

Well at least I got an email from GAME that my SNES is being packed and will be notified when its shipped.

I really thought GAME would screw up my order with all the demand. *Phew*

Edit: and of course PAL SNES is superior SNES.

Soodanim

I got a text from Argos yesterday saying when it will be delivered, so the cheaper version is definitely coming through for me.

I was ready to go in blind, but I'm glad I've given this thread a read as the need for USB power means I'll probably need to get myself another USB cable unless my TV has a free port. Anker always do well there. I'll also need a HDMI splitter, any recommendations?

I was also going to look into the wireless controller market, but that Hori beats doesn't seem to exist in the UK - at least not on Amazon. What's the chances of getting the Hori shipped from Gamestop to the UK?

DKC, FFVI, Kirby SS, Let's just say I've only played Super Mario World, Mega Man X , and Street Fighter II. I will be getting a lot of mileage from this. All those classic RPGs, including Mario RPG which I've been curious about for years. I played a bit of Yoshi's Island but it was probably until just after the first boss, nothing major. Can't wait.

Edit: They don't. I've found a couple shipping companies that I could use, but that's another $27 on top of the controller price so if I'm spending £40-50 overall I might as well give up and look at alternatives.

Edit II: I'm just going to get some extension cables.

Syriel

Didn't you read the OP? North American system is inferior.

GAF OTs are sacred, no false info allowed.

OP can't even spell "perfect."

What makes you think he can properly determine the best SNES system out there?

Hell, OP probably calls it the SNEZZZZZZ Classic. :p

Everyone knows it is the S-N-E-S Classic, and that the North American color scheme is the best version.

For reals.

• The console lets you play games in 4:3, scanline effects, pixel prefect and allows you to add wallpapers to games.

Everyone knows it is the S-N-E-S Classic, and that the North American color scheme is the best version.

For reals.

I'm #teamsnezzzz for life. And there's no way the US version is the best looking one.

Soodanim

For reals.

You just don't understand pixel prefection.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I assume it doesn't draw a lot of power? I was planning on just powering it directly from my receiver and not bothering with an AC adapter.

If your TV has a USB port you can just plug it into that

Seems I'm good to go.

Fox1304

Got it yesterday. Instant nostalgia when holding the SNES controller, physical memory at its best.
A few thoughts / things :
- those cables are still way too short ...
- ... but fortunately the extensions cables I bought for the NES mini are working flawlessly
- Sound is lovely :)
- I was angry that there was no way to soft reset from the controller, but it seems that there is according to this thread
- I need a wireless adapter for the native controllers ...

Meader

Does anyone know what the official Nintendo UK store are like for delivery? Ordered as soon as it was available there 3 months ago and says it won't even dispatch until Friday.

KaYotiX

Banned
Almost snagged one tonight at Walmart.... Do not sell got me. :(

Hopefully I'll be off work so I can camp out a few hrs prior

Mystical Ninja not being on the western version kills me slightly on the inside.

Mystical ninja was a great co-op game for me and my brother, such a shame its not on there.

Out of interest, what would you trade for it if you could?
They are all cracking games but I would probably swap out Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for it.

Its rock solid and I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

The rest are amazing though

KJRS_1993

Out of interest, what would you trade for it if you could?
They are all cracking games but I would probably swap out Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for it.

Both this one and the N64 ones are classics. It's such a shame that they're not released here any more. I loved how surreal they were.

If I had a choice, both of those Kirby games would be toast. I couldn't dispatch Super Ghouls unfortunately, it was one of the first games I ever completed.

Celine

I also forgot how shit Star Fox ran lol, you can feel the SNES is agonizing over rendering those polygons, even with the SuperFX chip ha ha. The game is still amazingly crafted for a 1993 game imho, and fun to replay. Not convinced it will be fun to people who discover it in 2017 though.
Retro DigitalFoundry should definitely do an episode on Starfox 2.
It's such a rare occurrence that a high profile game that got cancelled find a way to be published by the original creator decades later and of course framerate analysis would be interesting especially compared to Starfox.

Got it yesterday. Instant nostalgia when holding the SNES controller, physical memory at its best.
A few thoughts / things :
- those cables are still way too short ...
- ... but fortunately the extensions cables I bought for the NES mini are working flawlessly
- Sound is lovely :)
- I was angry that there was no way to soft reset from the controller, but it seems that there is according to this thread
- I need a wireless adapter for the native controllers ...
Latest footage I saw on YT from SMK showed dropped frames again (the vid was 1080p60). Do you notice dropped frames or do both SMW and SMK run perfectly smooth?

Both this one and the N64 ones are classics. It's such a shame that they're not released here any more. I loved how surreal they were.

If I had a choice, both of those Kirby games would be toast. I couldn't dispatch Super Ghouls unfortunately, it was one of the first games I ever completed.

Kirby golf I would probably be alright with going, but Kirby's fun pak was brilliant.

Again the co-op side of it plus mini games make it the gift that keeps on giving in my eyes

Farsi

My SNES life consisted of SF2, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong.

You guys have no idea how hyped I am to play Link To The Past, Mario World, Metroid, and Earthbound for the first time.

I got a text from Argos yesterday saying when it will be delivered, so the cheaper version is definitely coming through for me.

I was ready to go in blind, but I'm glad I've given this thread a read as the need for USB power means I'll probably need to get myself another USB cable unless my TV has a free port. Anker always do well there. I'll also need a HDMI splitter, any recommendations?

I was also going to look into the wireless controller market, but that Hori beats doesn't seem to exist in the UK - at least not on Amazon. What's the chances of getting the Hori shipped from Gamestop to the UK?

DKC, FFVI, Kirby SS, Let's just say I've only played Super Mario World, Mega Man X , and Street Fighter II. I will be getting a lot of mileage from this. All those classic RPGs, including Mario RPG which I've been curious about for years. I played a bit of Yoshi's Island but it was probably until just after the first boss, nothing major. Can't wait.

Edit: They don't. I've found a couple shipping companies that I could use, but that's another $27 on top of the controller price so if I'm spending £40-50 overall I might as well give up and look at alternatives.

Edit II: I'm just going to get some extension cables.

I've preordered with argos and haven't heard anything. I look on their site and it says in my account that I've preordered the mini snes but when I select it, the site just says they don't sell it anymore... Which is concerning.

Latest footage I saw on YT from SMK showed dropped frames again (the vid was 1080p60). Do you notice dropped frames or do both SMW and SMK run perfectly smooth?

That was just a dodgy video assuming you are talking about the gamexplain one. Every other one I have seen points to solid performance. I don't think Nintendo would dare release an emulator that dropped frames like that.

-shadow-

That Japanese packaging... Well damn! Can't wait for this little gem, I hope that loading your own games will be as easy as with the NES Mini. The lack of Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon outside of Japan is painful!

Edit: the power input is Micro USB? I actually would've hoped USC C now that we've gotten that starting with the Switch. But I can see why not.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If all goes well, i'll get my copy at the end of this (probably during weekends) or at the beginning of next week.

I wonder if SNES Mini will be sold out in Russia in just a few days or not. I mean, there's like almost every online store here still has pre-order option available.

As for missing power adapter in the Europe version... i'm pretty sure that the one i got with my Redmi Note 4 will be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom