• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES PlayStation Prototype Gets Turned On, Opened Up

Vormund

Was Shuhei Yoshida with Sony at the time this deal with Nintendo was still going? I wonder how much he knows?
He has been asked already, he didn't want to elaborate. I doubt you'll get much out of anybody, especially if they still work there.

byuu

get this thing to Byuu already.

I'd certainly love to own this thing, and can't deny being immensely jealous.

But I'm not sure how much I could really do. It's already mostly non-functional, and reverse engineering stresses the hell out of production-class hardware (I've burned out my share of SNES decks before.)

There's also no actual data for it, so we wouldn't have anything to actually emulate.

Plus they won't even part with it for an amount of money that not even I could afford. (and I've bought up complete-in-box sets for the entire US and Japanese SNES libraries.)

Now if that Seiken Densetsu 2 prototype CD ever surfaced, we could most likely get that emulated just from the software alone. But even if such a disc existed, it would most certainly be on a CD-R and well ... a CD-R from the '90s would be a coaster by today, almost guaranteed. Sorry guys.

I would like to see the BIOS dumped off of that cart for posterity, and I hope they can find someone capable of doing that the right way (not just sticking it in a Retrode or something.)

But I doubt that person would be me. Because, honestly speaking, I've been quite critical of their handling of this thing.

The original Youtube video had the guy holding the thing in one hand and waving it around in the air. The new video has the guy having it just sitting there on his lap with his arms up on the couch. I don't expect them to be in lab suits in specialized rooms and treating it like the holy grail, but come on. A little reverence would be nice.

As for being in a museum, eh. So people could go and take their own photographs of the outer casing? I mean seriously, how silly is this?
ZfCey6O.jpg

People are going to the actual Mona Lisa, to take crappy cellphone pictures of what is one of the most reproduced images in human history.

What I'd love to see are 1200dpi CCD scans of both sides of all the PCBs (so we can trace out all the parts, get an idea of -exactly- how it would have worked, etc), and a perfect CAD model of the entire case. Maybe even throw it out there to a plastics fab to spin off a few hundred empty shell versions just so people can have a fun little conversation piece. Maybe throw a hardware clone into the case (don't ruin real decks, please) and a reproduction of that BIOS cart and controller. Not to fool anyone, but to allow others to play around with a functional simulation. -Then- put it in a glass case forever for people to go see, sure.

I respect them for wanting to put this in a museum rather than just selling it off to a private collector. This is a piece of gaming history that needs to be seen by the entire world and it would be far better preserved there.

Vormund

I would love to have a shell to go in my glass cabinet along with my other retro consoles. It would be neat having Nintendo and Sony consoles in there with this as a bridge between them.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
There's also no actual data for it, so we wouldn't have anything to actually emulate.

Now hopefully people seeing you say it will get the idea out of their heads that somehow you're the Keymaster of Gozer who will manifest ancient PlayStation games out of thin air.

Blues1990

They say it doesn't. In the engadget interview they say it may have been purposely disabled but don't explain why they think that.

Edit: reread that part, they think they had to disable the disc drive so he could keep it, but again, they don't explain the idea behind that.

Weird. It's a shame, as I personally would have loved a hybrid system such as this one.

Maybe throw a hardware clone into the case (don't ruin real decks, please) and a reproduction of that BIOS cart and controller.
I totally agree with this. It breaks my heart everytime I see someone gut an original cart or system. It's blasphemy in my eyes. The things aren't made anymore, their number is finite ffs.

I think they'll more than likely put it in a museum afterall, the attention and constant message boards conversations have cemented its significance in gaming history, I did a writeup actually months ago trying to collect all the history behind it. Its undeniably the single most signicant relic in regards to the modern gaming and how it came to be.

byuu

I think their hearts are in the right place. They're just a bit... clueless.

Oh, absolutely. It was amazingly generous of them to allow others to X-ray the machine, take it apart, show it off to a video crew, and especially that offer to give it to a museum. Even if they take a sizable payment, it won't match what the free market would give them.

They're definitely great people. And it's awesome that they've allowed everyone to see this thing, even if only in photos/videos.

I just worry. A baseball collector would probably freak out if someone were handling a loose T206 Honus Wagner with their bare hands. And there's five dozen of those.

Now hopefully people seeing you say it will get the idea out of their heads that somehow you're the Keymaster of Gozer who will manifest ancient PlayStation games out of thin air.

Absolute best case, it'd be a significantly inferior version of the MSU1. You couldn't even trust that we emulated it correctly, because we'd have nothing to verify the code against.

If people want to simulate this, they can simply avoid reading data while playing audio, and add delays between every block of data read back to match the rate of a 1x CD-ROM drive. But nobody's going to spend years making a masterpiece of a game for such a thing. Not the least because it's a huge pain in the ass to program for even just the plain SNES.

Just one single SNES-CD game though. Just one ... would change everything, and I'd be all over emulating it.

I would love to have a shell to go in my glass cabinet along with my other retro consoles. It would be neat having Nintendo and Sony consoles in there with this as a bridge between them.

Right?? Even if it's lower quality. I'd throw an Intel NUC mainboard inside of there, and hook up SNES controller<>USB adapters to the front ports. Put together a little emulator UI that can be controlled by it. Stick a spare JP Zelda 3 cart in there for aesthetics. Beautiful.

Stadium Events on NES goes for just under that. This would be well over that.

Yeah, stuff like this, Campus Challenge, Powerfest, and SNES-CD aren't for gamers. This is rich person exclusivity bragging rights territory. Not to play, but to put in a case, invite friends over, and say, "Look at what I have! Aren't you jealous?" ... and yes, of course we are.

dickroach

Because if they turned it on before thoroughly getting it checked out, it could be fucked forever if something blows or shorts.

That's exactly why numerous people were urging them to take their time and not just plug it in to any old source when it was first shown.

as if they "just plugged it into any old source" it'd short out or something? i don't get it.
whatever. you're my fav gaf poster. if you buy it i buy it.

Vormund

Because it did not come with a power supply - if you have wrong voltage, amperage you most definitely can fry it.

Top Bottom