• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Playmore changes name to SNK.

Sapiens

Awesome. Always HATED the Playmore logo.

It represented cheap korean/chinese outsourcing to me and digging through the archives for shitty, incomplete sprites to shoehorn into KOF releases.

Sesha

Welcome back SNK, I guess, even though they've mostly been back since Playmore bought the rights from Aruze.

Getting hyped for KOF14!

We're living in the saddest Capcom timeline.

2012-13 was the bleakest period. DmC seemingly killed the series by almost bombing, DMC4 got a pachinko game, RE6 was a critical and commercial disappointment, SFxT was, well, SFxT, and Ono said Capcom wouldn't risk making any new titles.

If their next financial report says "SF5 underperformed, so no more console games from us", then things are bad again.

mdzapeer

I know it´s stupid, but I can't help to feel happy about it.

It´s really nice seeing a classic company trying to recover its past.

Same here, its just a name change, but it makes me REALLY happy!.

Nostalgia washes over me.......

Maybe it just gives hope that its a return to from a dark mobile only nightmare.

EDIT: Also the power of a brand, even if its decades old from being relevant is still a very powerful thing.

Man... today has just been a complete fan-gasm for SNK fanboys everywhere. This is probably the most hype and alive the company has been since the late-90s.

KingJ2002

e60827f89a6aee3fcdf86a1bfdb8baba.429x241x15.gif

Awesome.

Long live SNK!

mollipen

Call Ono. It's time.

maxresdefault.jpg

From 2011:

shidoshi: Then, before I leave, since everybody is always telling you on Twitter or wherever else what they want from you and Capcom… I want Capcom vs. SNK 3.

Yoshinori Ono: Ahhhh. [Laughs] I wasn’t necessarily sold on that idea until I played The King of Fighters XIII. I’m actually really impressed with it, and think they did a great job with it. So, you know, I’m open to the idea, at least more than I was before.

KingJ2002

From 2011:

with Street Fighter Vs. Tekken on indefinite hold and Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 not happening anytime soon... if KOF XIV sells well enough and gains a notable following in the tourney scene.

I can see a Capcom vs. SNK 3 happening down the line.

I poured my 40 out that day. I hope that this isn't the shambling corpse of a former loved one come back to haunt me.

But I'll never be able to pull the trigger on it if it were. I just...the memories. Samurai Showdown 2.

KAL2006

Banned
I'll admit I have never heard of SNK until I played CvS2. This lead me to go check out SNKs back catalogue. And there are some gems such as Last Blade 2 and Garou.

C-Sword

I don't want a Capcom Vs SNK 3. At least, not anytime soon. I'd rather SNK focus on reviving their own IPs before loaning their characters to Capcom.. Maybe if Last Blade 2 sells enough on the PS4 and Vita, we'd get a third one. A sequel to Garou would be nice too.

Yes!!!! Playmore was the Enix to SNK.

Notto disu shitto agen.

This Enix-Blaming crap again.

Everything bad out of SE has come from people who were Square staff pre-Merger.

Final Fantasy 13? Square. Type-0? Square. XIV? Square. Third Birthday? Square. FMEvolved? Square.

The guys who rebuilt Square's XIV shitshow came from Enix's staff. Square is dragging Enix down. Not the other way around. Star Ocean was an IP to be proud of before Enix decided to take Square onboard.

Is this waryness of Enix because they lacked the brand recognition Square had in North America? Because Enix was pretty fucking baller compared to Square. It's just that they were about as aware of America as Atlus is of Europe.

Notto disu shitto agen.

Final Fantasy 13? Square. Type-0? Square. XIV? Square. Third Birthday? Square. FMEvolved? Square.

The guys who rebuilt Square's XIV shitshow came from Enix's staff. Square is dragging Enix down. Not the other way around. Star Ocean was an IP to be proud of before Enix decided to take Square onboard.

Is this waryness of Enix because they lacked the brand recognition Square had in North America? Because Enix was pretty fucking baller compared to Square. It's just that they were about as aware of America as Atlus is of Europe.
Enix's Quintet titles were fire.

tenton

Notto disu shitto agen.

What's more stupid is Playmore was SNK running out from Aruze's bullshit and reclaiming SNK back. Playmore was formed to reclaim SNK from Aruze. So to blame Playmore for anything would be like saying you wanted to only have Pachinko machines and no more SNK video games.

SvC Chaos 2 imo. Capcom is probably not in the position to make another fighting game tbh.

Agreed. Imagine a game similar and as solid as Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (which was itself a spiritual successor to SvC Chaos)

LOL!

Great decision. Playmore sounds dumb and it just made the name too long. I don't know what SNK stands for except for dope memories of great games from my childhood.

Shin Nihon Kikaku
New Japan Project

I had thought the name Playmore was a reference to Psycho Soldier where instead of the usual "Continue?" prompt, Athena says "Play more?"

I wonder if we'll see an official reformation of SNK's Sound Team. I mean they've still been doing KOF, but like the company, they're basically still around in everything but name.

lupinko

It's not likely going to happen, anyway. Not only because SNK and their Chinese partners are committed to redeveloping SNK's IPS again, but the last crossover benefitted Capcom more than it did SNK, and left SNK with a bad taste in their mouths.

I can't imagine SNK being in a rush to rekindle the relationship.

I dunno, SvC aside, SNK got way more quality and quantity out of that deal.

Match of the Millennium, Cardfighters Clash NGPC and DS.

Gren

Great games, but unfortunately on a platform that would ultimately cost them tons of money.

If there's more on what transpired behind-the-scenes during that collaboration, I'd love to hear/read about it.

TreIII

Oh, yeah, the games were good, don't get me wrong. But to say the least, if SNK was really banking on the idea that the NGPC games would help their portable seriously be a contender against the GBC, it just wasn't happening.

And unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the very reason that SNK had to make do with portable games in the first place was because the original contract stipulated that SNK couldn't make an arcade game in close proximity of Capcom's releases? That, combined with SNK's eventual bankruptcy/original demise, then having to rush out SVC Chaos so quickly after the Playmore restructuring, was just not a recipe for really getting much out of the deal.

Plus, as we know, the landscape has changed. Even if bygones were willing to be bygones after the original SNK-Capcom deal, I'd be surprised if the rather fresh memory of Street Fighter x Tekken wasn't enough for SNK to be like "Nah, we're good."

Occam

Playmore was the successful attempt by the founder and owner of SNK to save the company from Aruze.

Oh, I never knew Kawasaki himself was also the founder of Playmore Corp. So he waited for SNK to go bankrupt and then sold its entire intellectual property to his new company. Heh.

Zavist

I would looove to see some stuff outside of KOF and Metal Slug. I really like KOF and I cant wait to play it, but they had so many other awesome and different games: Ninja Commando, Aero Fighters, Top Hunter...

Top Bottom