• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snoring Roommates.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

The guy above me at this hostel is snoring. The snoring is explosive and irregular. Sometimes it's a deep snore. Other times it sounds similar to a guy trying to blow up a balloon.

He's a big guy so I'll give him so slack. I know it's expected that larger people snore. With that said, the dude is constantly moving around. The beds are squeaky.

I haven't slept well in two days because of him and he gets pretty combative when I speak up in the middle of the night about it.

I'm not sure he knows he snores but it's so violent someone must have told him.

If you snore, be considerate and don't fucking book a bed in a huge dorm if you snore. People have buses and flights to catch. They need sleep. Don't be the worst person in the world.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Earplugs or iem earphones and playing music. Other than that snoring is sometimes just unavoidable. Especially if the snoreer has been drinking.

Qvoth

buy a good earplug, i wake up in the middle of the night because leaving it plugged in my ear for too long will hurt my ear but i think it's worth the sleep you'll get

F!ReW!Re

I'm sorry but:
LOL @ people that snore shouldn't book a dorm room....

Lesson 1 about staying at hostels is:
- Bring earplugs

Lesson 2 =
- Don't forget the earplugs

Social

That reminds me of when I used to live in a shared house with 3 other people. Had to wear fucking earplugs 3 times per week at least, what a nightmare that is. They suck. Creates a certain pressure that gave a headache a lot of times.

Never again

Mully

I'm sorry but:
LOL @ people that snore shouldn't book a dorm room....

Lesson 1 about staying at hostels is:
- Bring earplugs

Lesson 2 =
- Don't forget the earplugs

Not my problem. If you snore and you know you do, grab a nasal strip or purchase a single room.

Oppo

yeah I know that snore. that sounds like a pre-sleep apnea snore :(

I recommend some brown noise, use an app like Ambiance and hook your phone to a speaker, if you can... that will help

Hah, when I was climbing Mt. Fuji two weeks ago I spent the night at one of the mountain huts and you're basically packed shoulder-to-shoulder with like 50 other people and the guy next to me snored like this. Did not get any sleep that night and felt miserable the rest of the climb.

yeah I know that snore. that sounds like a pre-sleep apnea snore :(

I recommend some brown noise, use an app like Ambiance and hook your phone to a speaker, if you can... that will help

Yeah, a friend of mine snored really badly and ended up getting a CPAP machine and his quality of life improved immediately. Also, probably don't want to use brown noise :p.

Mully

So how is you not being able to sleep the snoring guy's problem?

He's gotta know. It was that bad. Plus the whole shifting and turning on top of it with his other sounds. I even told him twice now that he snores. He got angry.

I'm just upset that for two nights in a row, I've tried to get some decent sleep on this trip and both nights I got less than an hour because of him.

Dany

Banned
Pretty sure I don't snore. But depending on his snoring, perhaps he should see a doctor. If it sounds like he isn't catching his breathe then thats scary :X

Moff

I'm not the one with the snoring problem that kept up an entire room for two nights straight.

he doesnt do it on purpose. so he is not allowed to book cheap rooms because of something he doesnt do on purpose?

It's probably up to the hostel manager to decide that, not you. and since they offer ear plugs, Its not hard to guess how they will decide.

my personal opinion: if I book cheap, I know I will get cheap, and that means snoring people and other kinds of unpleasent people can be there so I come prepared.

Kyuur

I'm not the one with the snoring problem that kept up an entire room for two nights straight.

You also had problems with his tossing and turning. Sounds to me like you're just not a light sleeper, and if you're staying in rooms with random other people it'd be easier to fix the problem yourself instead of relying on everyone to be perfectly quiet for you.

Not my problem. If you snore and you know you do, grab a nasal strip or purchase a single room.

It pretty clearly is your problem or you wouldn't have made this thread. Just so you know a nasal strip isn't just some cure it all for snoring, there are a lot of different causes and judging how you described this scenario i doubt it would really help the guy.

I don't see this as any different to any other annoying habit people you move in with might have (except in this case it's not intentional and is probably a bigger deal to sort out than most annoying habits).

He's gotta know. It was that bad. Plus the whole shifting and turning on top of it with his other sounds. I even told him twice now that he snores. He got angry.

I'm just upset that for two nights in a row, I've tried to get some decent sleep on this trip and both nights I got less than an hour because of him.

Buy some ear plugs.

Is there something written in the contract you signed for the place that says you're not allowed to snore? In general i'd say this is something he should do something about and annoying your room mates generally isn't a good idea but that doesn't mean he has no right to stay in a room like that.

ElNino

I'd get angry too if someone woke me up to let me know I'm snoring.

If these things (snoring, bed creaking, etc.) bother you so much that you can only get an hours sleep a night, then I think you should look for more private accomodations. There is no way to control the sleeping habits of random people if you choose to sleep in a common area.

Yeah i'd get angry if you woke me up. He can't control his snoring, you're deliberately waking him up being a dick when you know 100 percent it will do nothing to help the situation. If you can't handle someone snoring it's probably best to avoid situations where you will be sleeping with other people because it's basically a given.

Sure if i was him i'd probably be doing something about it but he isn't obligated to and this really is your problem.

Starviper

he doesnt do it on purpose. so he is not allowed to book cheap rooms because of something he doesnt do on purpose?

It's probably up to the hostel manager to decide that, not you. and since they offer ear plugs, Its not hard to guess how they will decide.

my personal opinion: if I book cheap, I know I will get cheap, and that means snoring people and other kinds of unpleasent people can be there so I come prepared.

QFT. You really can't complain about a snoring person at a hostel.. What did you expect, honestly? I get that it's really annoying but if the guy can't control it.. I dunno, maybe surprise him with some nose strips on his bed.

F!ReW!Re

As many others have said;
- Most of the time; people either don't know or can't do much about it
- You are having a hard time sleeping because of snoring and because of other noises. Sounds like you need to do yourself a favor and get some earplugs.
- You woke him up in the middle of the night to tell him he snores? I can imagine a lot of people getting angry if someone does that to them.
- I don't know what part of the world you're in at the moment, but if you go backpacking/traveling on the cheap and go for shared accommodations you REALLY should always bring your earplugs with you (maybe even one of those sleeping masks if you can't stand someone turning on the light/opening the door). Heck this even applies for not sharing accommodations in cheap-ass hostels in some places (paper thin walls, and/or sound coming from the hallway constantly during the night (drunk people).

You can't expect you won't be disturbed when deciding to stay in a hostel.
It would be nice if we lived in a world where there's total silence in hostels after a certain time, but in the real world this rarely happens. Save yourself frustration and shitty nights and get some earplugs and a blindfold (sleeping mask, which you get for free on a lot of overnight flights).

Oppo

Yeah, a friend of mine snored really badly and ended up getting a CPAP machine and his quality of life improved immediately. Also, probably don't want to use brown noise :p.

you probably think I meant white noise

but I really did mean brown(ian) noise. maybe you are thinking of the "brown note" ;)

SpyGuy239

might want to ask him to go for a check up as well. Sounds like there might be some obstructive sleep apnoea going on...

Mully

I didn't tell the guy before I left. He was in the room briefly, but he went back to bed so I didn't want to bother.

jelly

I've found ear plugs to be ineffective, I can still hear people snoring. Music and earphones is the only solution but hardly ideal and probably wrecks your ability to sleep normally.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
H4zp6nH.jpg

Essay

I've found ear plugs to be ineffective, I can still hear people snoring. Music and earphones is the only solution but hardly ideal and probably wrecks your ability to sleep normally.

Me too unfortunately. I could both still hear my roommate's irregular snoring and my ears would hurt the entire morning after.

A better solution for me was to buy a large fan and put it above my head at night.

Mully

The headphone/earplug thing is a Catch 22. If I put them on, I'll likely miss my flight because I wouldn't hear my alarm.

If I don't use earplugs I slowly descend into insanity and call the snoring guy who can't control it, "the worst person in the world," while also unconsciously putting myself back on East coast time.

I feel like a jackass now, but yeah I was tired and needed an outlet to voice my frustration.

Chris R

The headphone/earplug thing is a Catch 22. If I put them on, I'll likely miss my flight because I wouldn't hear my alarm.

If I don't use earplugs I slowly descend into insanity and call the snoring guy who can't control it, "the worst person in the world," while also unconsciously putting myself back on East coast time.

I feel like a jackass now, but yeah I was tired and needed an outlet to voice my frustration.

I wear earplugs every single night. My roommates are borderline deaf and don't go to sleep until 2/3 in the morning. I have great hearing and had terrible sleep when I first moved in with them. Earplugs go in, blocking enough sound that I can get sleep without waking up when they are loud.

I've yet to miss an alarm going off, though more recently I've been waking up 15 minutes before my alarm is set to go off each morning anyways.

I don't know about snoring in particular, but I play white noise to block out noise when I sleep. It was a godsend when I had a bird living in my wall, so I should work for snoring. I downloaded a free white noise app to my phone since I don't like sleeping with things in my ears. Also, because my alarm was set on my phone, the white noise stops to play the alarm, so I don't miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom