• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snow forces two congressmen on a bipartisan road trip from Texas to D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Snow forces two congressmen on a bipartisan road trip from Texas to D.C.

17342901_1427561567309692_1577036595512116786_n.jpg

The Democrat from El Paso and the Republican from San Antonio began their 1,600-mile road trip to Washington before dawn Tuesday.

By lunch they had stopped at SXSW in Austin, learned the uniting power of coffee from a barista in San Marcos, shared a granola bar they'd split down the middle and, yes, starred in their own version of ”Carpool Karaoke."

”On the road again," Willie Nelson sang from the speakers of their 1999 Chevy Impala rental. ”Like a band of gypsies, we go down the highway."

For the next line, Reps. Beto O'Rourke (D) and Will Hurd (R) joined in, belting, ”We're the best of friends."

But just hours earlier, the men weren't much more than colleagues, brought together on this day, in this car, because they shared a common predicament and destination. A blizzard in the northeast had canceled Hurd's flight back to Washington and delayed O'Rourke's. They were due in the House for floor votes by 6 p.m. Wednesday.

So O'Rourke, who had spent Monday in San Antonio talking to veterans with Hurd, proposed a radical idea: a cross-country road trip, broadcast live via Periscope and Facebook for all of America.

Hurd, at first reluctant because of their differing styles of travel and politics, eventually agreed.

They decided to call it a town hall meeting on wheels, their ”road to work" adventure, an impromptu experiment in democracy free of the aides and entourages of Washington.

At 5 a.m., they rented the Impala and crawled inside, O'Rourke behind the wheel and Hurd riding shotgun. Their only passengers were their cellphones, which, affixed to the dashboard, welcomed thousands of viewers to tune in for the ride.

They welcomed questions from their audience, personal and political in nature, and solicited playlist suggestions, must-see attractions and food pit stops to hit along the way.

At first, the men seemed stiff, exchanging pleasantries and biographies.

But by nightfall, they felt like old friends, the kind that belt Johnny Cash's ”Ring of Fire" off tune, criticize each other's driving, mock Whataburger drive-through orders and indulge on doughnuts at midnight in Memphis.

All day, they pondered tough questions — who would play them in the movie version of their trip, cake vs. pie, salsa verde or salsa roja — but they also fielded inquiries about the serious political issues facing Americans, including the Republican health-care bill, the border wall, criminal justice reform, foreign policy and Kellyanne Conway's theory that microwaves can spy on you.

Inevitably, they faced occasionally hostile questions about President Trump.

One viewer offered a simple suggestion to fix the political divide: force all members of Congress to drive around in a car on Facebook Live until they resolve their differences.

”This gives me faith for our country," one woman commented on Facebook.

”This is America," wrote another. ”United we stand!"

The adventure engaged other elected officials from the across the country, who phoned the congressmen to weigh in on policy issues and offer the weary travelers support.

Although their original intent was to make the trip in a straight, 24-hour shot, it was not to be. Traffic delays, loquaciousness and a detour to Elvis's Graceland slowed them down. At just after 3 a.m. Eastern time, with ”Carry on Wayward Son" blaring, they finally reached their hotel in Nashville, where they planned to crash for a few hours before finishing the final 10-hours of their cross-country trip — ideally in time for their floor vote Wednesday night.

But before they turned in for the night, the congressmen made time for one last stop en route to Nashville.

From the road they could see the fluorescent sign for Gibson's Donuts, a treasured pastry shop outside Memphis whose loyal customers, including a woman named Molly, had been courting the approaching congressmen for hours on the live feed.

They pulled the Impala into the parking lot and ventured inside, where they found a long line of patrons waiting on doughnuts and Molly calling out to them from a corner booth.

”Molly," Hurd said. ”You da best."

”Welcome to Memphis!" she said.

They shook hands with a self-proclaimed ”yellow-dog Democrat" who recommended the apple-filled doughnuts and told O'Rourke he was the one who looked like a Republican. The staff at Gibson's gave the congressmen a kitchen tour and complimentary T-shirts.

O'Rourke listened to a woman worried that she may never be able to pay off her student loans, and Hurd told those gathered in the shop that he and his district neighbor don't always see eye to eye on policy, but that their road trip was about being able to ”disagree without being disagreeable."

”You're buddies?" an older man asked the congressmen, to which O'Rourke responded: ”We're becoming buddies."

Beto O’Rourke is a cool dude. Apparently he may challenge Ted Cruz for his Senate seat (provided he wins the Democratic nomination). Definitely one Democrat to watch.

Iksenpets

Banned
Beto O’Rourke is a cool dude. Apparently he may challenge Ted Cruz for his Senate seat (provided he wins the Democratic nomination). Definitely one Democrat to watch.

Yeah, Beto seems to be pretty sure about making a run at Cruz, and Hurd is sitting in the least safe district in the state for 2018, so they both have a lot to gain out of a bit of a bipartisan publicity stunt.

Sciz

If Gibson's Donuts can't bring two men together, I don't know what force in this world can.

That said

they could see the fluorescent sign for Gibson’s Donuts, a treasured pastry shop outside Memphis

WaPo pls, Gibson's is five minutes away from me here in East Memphis. Not even outside the loop.

This actually isn't new... (I have the worst fucking memory for details that I'd like to have added into this post)

Members of Congress used to move to Washington when they were elected. This was the norm and it meant they socialized commonly with each other, republican and democrat alike. Hard to demonize a political rival when you talk to them regularly at your kid's softball game. But this habit was changed on the republican side...can't remember who or when, it was decades ago, but now it is the habit to fly in for Congressional business then fly back home, and not move your family to Washington.

WedgeX

Banned
This actually isn't new... (I have the worst fucking memory for details that I'd like to have added into this post)

Members of Congress used to move to Washington when they were elected. This was the norm and it meant they socialized commonly with each other, republican and democrat alike. Hard to demonize a political rival when you talk to them regularly at your kid's softball game. But this habit was changed on the republican side...can't remember who or when, it was decades ago, but now it is the habit to fly in for Congressional business then fly back home, and not move your family to Washington.

The two Congressmen who live by me are Tuesday-Friday people. And I don't think they've ever talked to each other in the neighborhood, despite living one house apart. Of course, one of them is Hurd...

JohnsonUT

Julian has already said no, but Joaquin might run.

Beto actually has charisma that the Castros lack.

Yeah, Beto seems to be pretty sure about making a run at Cruz, and Hurd is sitting in the least safe district in the state for 2018, so they both have a lot to gain out of a bit of a bipartisan publicity stunt.

The cynic in me says this is going to be repeated by others as a way to campaign.

Coolluck

Hurd's (gerrymandered) district is right next to Beto's so it's surprising that they haven't talked much. Beto was in SA because he's feeling out the state for the Senate run. There was a story this weekend about him and Castro swapping districts. Castro seems much less sure of a run for Senate but both seemed fine with the other running since the end-goal of removing Cruz is what's important to them.

Iksenpets

Banned
Beto actually has charisma that the Castros lack.

The cynic in me says this is going to be repeated by others as a way to campaign.

Yeah, the Castros, while I would totally vote for them, trigger every Texan peeve with slick Democrats, all while being inflated by the national party and media to a degree that just reaffirms people's suspicions, makes them feel like carpetbaggers despite being native born Texans. And then there's the problem of running as the Hispanic candidates in Texas who can't speak Spanish. Obviously lots of Hispanic people out there in that same situation, but it ads to the meme of inauthenticity.

Beto feels much more the sort of guy who could sell Texans on "well, he's a liberal, but he's our liberal".

I knew I've heard that name somewhere, I think Cedric tweeted something when he ran for Congress

Wikipedia:
In the early 1990s, Beto was a singer and guitarist in the band Foss. Foss included Cedric Bixler-Zavala (vocalist for At the Drive-In and The Mars Volta) on vocals and drums.

Sold

JohnsonUT

Yeah, the Castros, while I would totally vote for them, trigger every Texan peeve with slick Democrats, all while being inflated by the national party and media to a degree that just reaffirms people's suspicions, makes them feel like carpetbaggers despite being native born Texans. And then there's the problem of running as the Hispanic candidates in Texas who can't speak Spanish. Obviously lots of Hispanic people out there in that same situation, but it ads to the meme of inauthenticity.

Beto feels much more the sort of guy who could sell Texans on "well, he's a liberal, but he's our liberal".

Good summary.

Dont disagree with any of this, but I just want Cruz out of the Senate

Amazing. It's like you can actually talk to the other side and find out they're human once you stop calling them fascist nazis for 10 minutes.

Ogodei

Amazing. It's like you can actually talk to the other side and find out they're human once you stop calling them fascist nazis for 10 minutes.

But then Hurd will go back to Washington and vote to have citizenship stripped from O'Rourke's constituents and have them deported or something.

Yeah, everybody's human and relatable and maybe it's not the best idea to antagonize them unnecessarily, but don't think for a second that reaching out like this changes anything.

But then Hurd will go back to Washington and vote to have citizenship stripped from O'Rourke's constituents and have them deported or something.

Yeah, everybody's human and relatable and maybe it's not the best idea to antagonize them unnecessarily, but don't think for a second that reaching out like this changes anything.

Pretty much... other than a "cute story" what is so meaningful about this. Co-workers ride a car, become friends and agree to disagree on politics... Progress!

Like consider RBG and Scalia were friends... did that alter Scalia's opinions on things? Not really.

JohnsonUT

I don't know his official stance, but Hurd represents many, many border towns and like 70% of his constituents are hispanic. He also has spoken out against the travel ban. I am sure he has some awful positions, but this is probably not one of them.

Coolluck

I don't know his official stance, but Hurd represents many, many border towns and like 70% of his constituents are hispanic. He also has spoken out against the travel ban. I am sure he has some awful positions, but this is probably not one of them.

Does anyone have knowledge of his voting record? I'm pretty sure he didn't break party lines when it came to Trump's taxes.

Linkura

516el2cXUpL._SX200_QL80_.jpg

I miss this show. :(

Ogodei

516el2cXUpL._SX200_QL80_.jpg

I miss this show. :(

Gingrich was the one who made AM radio host's hatred of Washington as a city into party gospel, and then you became "out of touch" if you lived there and weren't in your district every moment that you weren't in session.

JohnsonUT

Does anyone have knowledge of his voting record? I'm pretty sure he didn't break party lines when it came to Trump's taxes.

I looked it up. He is pretty generic "low taxes, anti-EPA, anti-marijuana, pro-life" Republican. He only won reelection by 3000 votes and his district just got dinged for being illegally gerrymandered. His seat appears likely to flip in 2018 depending on exactly how it is redrawn.

Gingrich was the one who made AM radio host's hatred of Washington as a city into party gospel, and then you became "out of touch" if you lived there and weren't in your district every moment that you weren't in session.

Gingrich called in at the very end and basically alluded to this point. He congratulated them for doing this because it meant they were indeed back home. But, at the same time he recollected taking foreign trips to Kuwait, Israel, and far east where he was forced to sit next to opposition on the plane rides and discover they were real people.

Coolluck

I looked it up. He is pretty generic "low taxes, anti-EPA, anti-marijuana, pro-life" Republican. He only won reelection by 3000 votes and his district just got dinged for being illegally gerrymandered. His seat appears likely to flip in 2018 depending on exactly how it is redrawn.

Makes me mad that the loyal paper endorsed him then. It's like they only cared that he wasn't actively vilifying Mexicans like other Republicans instead of everything else. So yeah I'm glad that district is going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom