• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So after 6 years of “wait for next E3” has Microsoft sold you on an Xbox Series X after today’s show?

Did today's show sell you on an Xbox Series X (Lockhart potentially)?

• Total voters
I really had my heart set on the series X, but seems like 343 really want me to spend that money on a Ps5 or PC. I’m done with Xbox

HarryKS

EdoSTYPXgAUkfNy

Allandor

Well still buying one, even after some disappointments.
halo is just not a game for a technical showcase. Never was. The art style really is detailless changing this would rip out the halo feeling. But it is definitely the wrong way to show of the power of the hardware.
looked more like actual Xbox one x footage.

Quezacolt

Sadly, their presentation didnt change my mind. Halo infinite might be good, but i dont have any hype for it and hopefully Fable can have a great return.

I wont get a console just because it's considered the most powerful, it all comes to the games in the end, and they failed to impress me, again. And no, i dont care about gamepass either, so that isn't a bonus for me.

Entroyp

I’ll get one in 2022-23 when they actually make games for the new hardware. PC would do for now.

Last edited:

Rikoi

They sold me on the PS5.
They learned that they have to release some console exclusives to sell the console though, or else PC people would never bother.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I'd rather give $500 to Kickstarter to fund a fan-made sequel to Halo 3, one that erases Halo 4 from canon, and is made in Battlefield 1942's engine, knowing it would look slightly better than what we saw today, and most likely play better. And be better written.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Got what i wanted today and happy about it with avowed and fable. The medium looks good. I can see if you don't like RPGs not liking the show. Everyone has different tastes. I don't like horizon or soul lots do.

The Unforeseen

Neo Member
I was leaning towards Xbox but gotta say I think I will probably get a PS5 first now, though I was always planning on getting both in some form at some point, and I admit I might be being a bit knee-jerky as there's maybe still a bit more to show from both camps yet. It's not that it was bad as such, it's that its a long way off before anything really good is coming (other than Halo). I'm sure Fable will be great, and Obsidian's new fantasy RPG and a whole host of other games both revealed and not yet revealed, but it will be 2022 or later before a lot of that will see the light of day, even Forza looks like it will drop around then. It seems this gen came a year too early for Microsoft, and they probably could have done a more fitting showcase this time next year with more gameplay on offer after things had more time to cook. It's still probably a good buy this year or next if you don't have a PC or other Xbox device and want to get into that ecosystem, otherwise it is probably a case of waiting a year or two before diving in. Not that Sony are going to be coming out all guns blazing with their best offerings in the first 18 months or so, but they have more on offer than Microsoft it seems currently. I was waiting to be wowed and swayed but sadly I wasn't. They surely knew they needed to come hard here, and ultimately they just weren't ready. Though some people here and elsewhere make it out as being far worse than it was I would say.

Fox Mulder

They lost me this gen to the ps4 and I’ll be getting a ps5. I didn’t even watch the show and the only trailer that stood out to me skimming on YouTube was a new Fable from Playground Games.

I’m probably never going to care about Halo like the Bungie days. Forza didn’t show anything new in the trailer either.

Last edited:

Cravis

Where is this option: “Was eagerly awaiting the day I could preorder X Series for launch day. Now I honestly just don’t care.”

Glad most next gen games are cross compatible.

Fuck the X Series.

iu08BTA.jpg

This isn't an option but I was open to buying one of something wowed me but I wasn't planning on it and that hasn't changed. Who knows what'll come in a couple of years but I know I won't be getting one at launch or in 2021 either based on what was shown.

Wimbledon

Nope, ill get it on PC, the only reason I would've bought the XSX is if it was just a console exclusive, and not coming to PC.

Halo Infinite
Avowed
Everwild
Fable

All coming to PC, can't wait.

I don't think i'll buy a console this gen to be honest. Playstation didn't really have anything interesting to me that i wanted......SO FAR.

Vol5

The cord will be cut from the hardware side in a couple of years based on today's showing. Hardly any gameplay, their flagship title looked woeful and yet again they haven't found their niche or identity. This show was meant to build hype and it's done the opposite. If MS massively undercut the PS5 then initial sales could be good, but PS5 is 10TF for a reason - To keep the price reasonable.

spawn

I was planning on getting both anyway. The show was underwhelming and I have much more hype for PS5

TheContact

I dunno if I'd call this a "big show". Both companies seem to be holding back and playing poker with each other right now.

dottme

I’m not jumping now. Microsoft has a lot of new studios who joined. I let them some time to show what they can do.

Lets cut to chase - Microsoft exclusive support this generation has been subpar (to say the least) by most objective metrics. One could make the case it was just simply unacceptable for a console manufacturer. The big franchises like Halo and Gears had lukewarm reception from the critics and failed to grab gamers across the board (even dedicated hardcore fans). Moreover the drought between big games has been significant which compounds the pain when the big games eventually arrive and don't live to the hype. I can't even remember the last time a MS AAA exclusive was nominated for Game of the Year. I can't even remember when MS announced a new AAA IP from a Microsoft owned studio in the last 10 years. Phil and company, in my honest opinion, has been stringing people along with PR, in bad faith, failing to deliver E3 after E3..... with lines like this: "I'm even more excited for what we didn't show" and all the B.S we've discussed to death.

But we know gamers and specially hardcore fans of the brand can be extremely patient and put up with a lot of BS if you can at least make a case that a brighter future is ahead. That brighter future was supposed to be shown today - no excuses, no more wait, no more B.S. As the feedback comes in, the show is getting trashed across the board. The flagship franchise for MS has literally become an instant internet meme after today's showing and there was so much riding with that game (if just to alleviate the concerns of the hardcore Xbox gamer that drops $400-$500 on a console day 1).

Outside of Halo Infinite you'll be waiting for Fable, Hellblade II and Avowed in 2022 - and we don't even know how those games will turn out when it comes to quality (considering the studios involved and the genre's). What does the Xbox Series X launch line up even look like?

I want to know where this leaves you personally regarding a potential purchase of the Xbox Series X.

Was this the last straw for you? Will you wait for 2022 to make a purchase? Will you still buy the hardware day one?
I am very disappointed as a fan of the brand. Last straw idk but very underwhelmed. I didnt say wow once. I plan on playing these games on my pc anyway but i was really excited to see a competitive microsoft again today. Simply put that didnt happen. Sony just looked like the superior company in every way. Not a single game shown today looked like it couldnt be accomplished on current gen hardware. Not one looked better than ratchet and clank. Halo looked like halo again aesthetically but it truly looks like a game that doesn’t utilize next gen capability. Imo the show was a disaster.

yurinka

I already planned to go PS5+Switch.

They didn't sold me the console, but saw solid good stuff there. Yes, maybe Halo doesn't look as good as it should, but at least looks like the early Halos and will be 4K 60fps (something people always demand, I'd prefer less resolution and better visuales). Maybe some of the announcements are likely to be late 2022/or 2023 games due to no release year or XBO logo show, but at least they look promising and hyping. Some games like the Rare one and Medium looked way better than before, and even ported timed exclusive games like DQ11S or Tetris Effect they have some cool additions to give more diversity to the console and Gamepass catalog and Gamepass.

Let's hope that if they make another show this September they show their The Initiative game and Hellblade 2 gameplay with a 2021 banner, in addition to a cool Elder Ring gameplay trailer, in addition to gameplay of some of the best games we saw today as CG or cinematics, like Forza, Fable, the Rare game or the Obsidian's Skyrim. They looked great but would be nice to show more gameplay.

I mean
6/10 Microsoft's show
6/10 Sony's show
Microsoft has a Game Pass = Microsoft wins
C'mon, Sony made many big announcements and shown gameplay of several AAA next gen games. They even shown the console. I'd give them an 8, or minimum if you personally don't like several of their big announcements, at least a 7.

Series X only games coming 2022 most probably. So that's the time to upgrade
MS said that during the first two years the games from the MS studios would be crossgen. So if the console is released around mid November, the first SX only games would be more likely December 2022 or more probably 2023, specially if they have some delay, covid, etc.

Last edited:

Jesb

The killer app is gamepass. But their games still simply can’t compete with what Sony will have. But the thing is XSX is the more affordable console. Gamepass allows you to have a library right away where as with PS5 you’ll need to buy the big games they have.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I won't be getting a XSX, they're just not selling it good enough.

It was an underwhelming show, they said they'd learnt from the last show, but just like the wait til next E3 it was lip service.

Phil Spencer needs to start shutting up and delivering on the horse shit that spews out of his mouth. He must of opened the jar MS kept Peter Molyneux's soul in and had a good old swig of it with the bollocks he comes out with.

Better showing in July? - Same tired cgi marathon.

We're not wanting to be anti consumer! We don't put much stock into exclusives! - Just bought a load of timed exclusives (Y7 is the biggest head scratcher for me. Timed exclusive for XSX only, ps4 still in Nov, PS5 some point)

You won't need to buy a next gen console for 2 years - Well, that seems to of gone out the window fast didn't it.

We will have over 100 games on XSX holiday period 2020 - Sounds like they've included plenty of X1 ports. Even Cyberpunk is one of them since CDPR have said proper next gen version next year.

As for exclusives well -

Seeing Halo sink ever lower under 343i is just depressing. Hard to believe how much time I spent on halo 2 in the old XBMC days or halo 3 on live. 343i need taking off the franchise now, even with satellite studio support they just can't make a halo game.

Gears has fared slightly better, but it still hasn't managed to recapture the glory days of Gears 1, but it's still enjoyable in it's own right, but it's missing that certain something.

Sea Of Thieves I do really enjoy, it's probably the best MS exclusive I've played for years. Great fun joining a random ship and wasting a night with strangers.

I can't speak much of Horizon as I don't really play racing games unless they're arcadey (I miss you Burnout 3)

So no I ain't getting one. They need to pull their shit together and get some quality stuff on console like the did on the OG Xbox when they where hungry to get onto the console scene such as Jade Empire, KOTOR, Jet Set Radio Future, The Chronicles Of Riddick - Escape From Butcher Bay, SW Republic Commando, Ninja Gaiden, Halo.

What they showed was there is literally no reason to invest in an XsX. Halo won’t even have ray tracing at launch, this will run just fine on a decent pc build or One X.

RasAlGhoul

No. But I own a pc so if they made a game I want do play I’ll buy game pass for one month and cancel like I do now.

I was planning to buy but am now reconsidering both consoles.

And I gotta echo others in here that neither console sold me on a day one purchase.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm going to buy an XSX on release day. I respect Xbox as a brand due to the revolutionary changes that it has made to console gaming (i.e. the introduction of online multi-player, hard disk drives, the X86 CPU architecture, and unparalleled raw power); hence, I want to support the brand so that it survives even though the game showcases streamed last month and today were disappointing. I'm honestly looking forward to the PS5 more and will get it on day one as well, but I must support Xbox because of what it's done.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Oh wow, it looks like ______ is having tons of trouble lol. I'm really not mad, I can only just laugh and shake my sympathy at how truly pathetic the ________ is. Like any intelligent, discerning customer with an iota of sense I will be putting MY money into the ________ which CLEARLY shows a better lineup at launch. Maybe the ________ will show some promise later on but I doubt it! This is the end for ________, I really hate to say!

I'm really not projecting my own hopes into this post either! This is just my unbiased observation of things!

The cord will be cut from the hardware side in a couple of years based on today's showing. Hardly any gameplay, their flagship title looked woeful and yet again they haven't found their niche or identity. This show was meant to build hype and it's done the opposite. If MS massively undercut the PS5 then initial sales could be good, but PS5 is 10TF for a reason - To keep the price reasonable.

I kinda agree that this is all leading to them bowing out of the hardware market the way they continue to misread and under deliver. What kind of business continues to run like this successfully? If it weren't for the fact that it's Microsoft, and that they're part of an oligopoly I think Xbox would have gone the way of Sega quite a while now. What doesn't square well in my head is that they need those consoles for gamepass. No matter how much BS Phil says, they need that box to sell and to sell well, which is why they're going through all the trouble of releasing them. At the same time, they literally go counter to all the established business practices of how you sell that box, and fail to give reasons to consumers to pick their box over the other. It's like wanting to be successful but putting the bare minimum effort and expecting to succeed just because. It's a crazy ship. Completely mismanaged.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
can't deny the graphics of Halo Infinite look rough but i'll reserve full judgement until it launches.

i'm 100% sold on Xbox as a platform. it's not just all about Halo. Microsoft actually has more exclusives that interest me than Playstation this time around. I'll be buying Forza, State of Decay, Flight Simulator, Hellblade 2 (compared to the 2 games on PS5 i am interested in).

the XSX is the more powerful console so my 4K 120Hz TV will be put to better use. It'll be the best place to play Cyberpunk 2077 (my most anticipated game) on console. I prefer the Xbox Controller. GamePass is insane value. xCloud i might not use a lot who knows but still good value. also if i buy Xbox games it's good to know I can still play them if I bother upgrading my PC again.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Game pass is bad for the industry as a whole, i still dont understand why people are drinking this kool aid. Ill take quality over quantity any day.
People like cheap shit.

They don't see the connection between the buisness model and the type of games being made.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Game pass is bad for the industry as a whole, i still dont understand why people are drinking this kool aid. Ill take quality over quantity any day.
the games on it are really good quality tho.

nice try but not good enough trolling.

Top Bottom