• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So are we gonna have to wait for PS6/Next Xbox to have true "next gen" games?

fersnake

just hoping ps6 or the next xbox standard resolution is at least 1440p lowest at 60fps locked high settings, plus raytracing. cuz current graphics are fine.

When I start seeing true path tracing and minimum 60FPS in ALL console games, then I'll start being impressed again.

I think I'll be waiting a long time
Next gen on PS6 (should have minimum 4090 levels of power, I mean we better hope to God that AMD in 2028 will have caught up to Nvidia from 2022 but AMD is big underperformer in the GPU sector) we'll have path tracing just not necessarily at 60fps.

Neff

You will see a palpable difference between games made at the beginning of a generation and the end of a generation.

You'll never get the overnight leaps like you did with new consoles in the past. Those days are gone.

Sushi_Combo

I'
I don't think games have advanced much beyond late PS3 era, and even regressed in some ways - Battlefield 2042 was a less advanced and dynamic game than Bad Company 2, for example. It just is what it is. The graphics are a lot better though.
I think the Ps4/Xbone gen had quite a few bangers. Towards the end of that era we started to see ballooning costs of development and closing of many studios, leaving old IP's in the grave and focusing solely on big hitters.
It's been mostly a very fucking boring generation this time with Ps5 and the series consoles.

Mooreberg

You're not gonna have to wait that long. The problem with this hardware cycle is that global circumstances surrounding the launch of these systems, and the two years that followed, more or less dictated that "cross gen" last even longer than the start of the PS4 / Xbone era. Hardware prices have remained high, which have kept some people playing games on the previous cycle of hardware. Some of the best first party talents in terms of graphics have released games that also needed to run on hardware from 2013. Third parties are always going to to try to aim for as many sales units as possible, which further increases the lifespan of last gen hardware. There is also the fact that, due to circumstances we are unlikely to know about outside of leaks or former employees spilling the beans, a lot of developers have just completely hit a glacial pace of product output. Rocksteady went from just under four years in terms of transitioning to a new hardware cycle to almost nine years. Naughty Dog released The Last Of Us and Uncharted 4 less than three years apart, which was a full generational leap. Maybe there's just too much focus on monetization and "engagement" to get games out at the rate they used to. I can't imagine anyway believes that Suicide Squad was the game that Rocksteady wanted to make.

I’m still on PS4 and this thread is really not motivating me to change. :(
Theres a lot of disingenuous takes in here. You wont regret it. Its a great experience, everything loads fast and the Dualsense controller is goated. The triggers and haptic feedback make games feel more alive...

Do Not Worry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

We have "next gen" looking games already, but the dminishing returns gamers see is just the limited numbers of studios that are capable of making good "next gen" looking games. The truth is not all studios have the funding to make games we perceive as looking "next gen". The only "next gen" looking games we've seen released this gen are from the big AAA studios, mostly from Playstation. So you're in good hands if you have a ps5 or 4080. Just know that you cant expect every 3rd party studio to chase photo realistic graphics. Its very risky, so most of the games being push for AAA funding are known IPs.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I don’t feel like searching for it but PlayStation god, Jim Ryan said it would take 3-4 years before those types of games are seen.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Last 4 years has really been a disappointement in terms of graphics and level design overall. Feels like every new AAA game is basically just a PS4 upgrade.So much hype about SSD/Ryzen CPU for nothing.

Just seems like we're gonna have to wait for PS6/XboxNext to get true Unreal Engine 5 games
GTA 6 is my last hope for a true next generation game. Outside of Ratchet and Clank, nothing has really blown me away. This is my last hope

Grand-Theft-Auto-VI-Trailer-1.00_00_56_04.Still046.jpg

hussar16

Last 4 years has really been a disappointement in terms of graphics and level design overall. Feels like every new AAA game is basically just a PS4 upgrade.So much hype about SSD/Ryzen CPU for nothing.

Just seems like we're gonna have to wait for PS6/XboxNext to get true Unreal Engine 5 games
Gta 6 looks like a upgraded ps4 game I'm sure it was started on ps4 and now they moved it for ps5 .yea this gen sucks and is weird

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
We won't have "true" next gen graphics anymore. The time for that is long gone IMO.. We'll only have small incremental improvements. A true next gen leap won't happen again.

sachos

I think i mostly agree here. If you think about it from the perspective of the PS4, think about how games looked in 2013 and how that same console ended up playing GoW Ragnarok and HFW. Same will happen with PS5 im sure, although if you think about it, most of the biggest PS4 games starting coming out in 2018 5 years after release, so we can assume the same for PS5 with the current bloated dev times. We need more devs to embrace RTGI to get that next gen look, i hope the PS5 Pro helps with that.

avin

This gen, the only truly cool thing I've seen was live weather in MSFS. If you weren't into flight sims, well, yes, you missed out.

avin

HelveticaBold

Neo Member
Next gen to be is about immersiveness and if Helldivers 2 ain’t immersive I don’t know what is. Purely tech wise, Avatar sure looks nice in 40fps mode on a 77” OLED.

Audiophile

I see this as an almost sacrificial, transitional gen from a technical standpoint; where it's just a whole load of teething pains as we see some major paradigm shifts. Which kinda worked out well given how underwhelming the line-up has been..

Going into PS6 we'll have gone through the worst of those teething pains for RT & ML/AI as well as having mature RT hardware and mature ML/AI functionality. Not to mention by then devs may have gotten more accustom to utilising the SSD+I/O in more novel ways. Then add in [hopefully] a lack of pandemic. The cherry on top would be a 2028 launch allowing for better hardware, qualification for the N2P process node with gaafet transistors & backside power delivery and a shift to chiplets to drastically reduce cost; in turn also allowing for better hardware.

We'll probably be starting off with the ability to do 4x resolution scaling with native-like results, the ability to frame-gen 2-3x without a latency bump, have a far greater quantity of far more efficient RT acceleration hardware and have an architecture far more conducive to ML/AI acceleration. There also won't be a widespread resolution jump going into the next gen as far as I can tell; which frees up a big chunk of resources that in all previous gens was spent on just adding more pixels. Nanite/Microgeometry will hopefully be much more performant too given both optimisation and much more powerful hardware. Mesh Shaders have barely been utilised yet too.

We've seen the introduction/popularisation of multiple major technologies this gen, but they've all been half-arsed. Next-gen they'll all actually be possible, performant, effective and worth the cost in real-world scenarios.

So to summarise, apply another 4yrs of experience developing for these technologies as well as another 4yrs of advancement in the technology, hardware and tools..

- Virtualised Microgeometry (like Nanite)
- Ray Tracing & Path Tracing
- ML/AI
- Mesh Shaders

- Then add in better leverage of the SSDs, I/O & compression/decompression.

- Then factor in no increase in the amount of native pixels needing to be rendered (perhaps -- on average -- even a decrease..).

- Then N2P with GaaFET & Backside Power Delivery + Chiplets with mature interposer tech (Infinity Fanout Links?) to offset the cost + lots of cheap 3D Cache dies bolted on.

- Plus another two major gens of CPU/GPU architectures and roughly 4x the raw compute of the PS5.

- Even if we get another long cross-gen, the PS5 Zen 2 CPU won't hold us back as much; relative to what the PS4 Jaguar CPU did. Plus, the PS5 SSD+I/O won't be an issue vs the PS4 mechanical HDD.

By the end of this gen and going in to the next we'll have engines for games built entirely around RTGI + other RT FX, ML/AI scaling, microgeometry / mesh shaders and fast storage + I/O. Simply scaling up from the meagre RT and ML capabilities we have now to what we get next gen will be liberating and likely show some impressive results before further optimisations are made.

I'm a lot more positive going into the next-gen. Everything is coming together and maturing at the right time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom