• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is easily the game of the generation for me so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc00

I say that because it's the first proper current gen title (something that you can't find on last-gen consoles) that has really blown me away, getting me really immersed in it's world. I think I would describe it as what you would get if Fallout and No Man's Sky had a baby. It has that gigantic sense of scale that No Man's Sky has, where you can just fly out to whatever stars you can see in the galaxy, and fully explore whatever worlds you can land on. Biggest difference here being the Fallout element, how as opposed to everything being generated like NMS, it's been carefully crafted with all sorts of interesting locations and distinctive characters/events to discover.

That's easily what I love the most about this game, just the vast sense of exploration with a purpose. In NMS, it's fun to just explore but there is never really any purpose or distinction to the locations you visit or NPC's you meet. In Starfield, it's like you never know what you will discover. I'll just want to check out some random planet that looks interesting to me, that I have no real need to visit, and I will discover some old facility or something and uncover a whole side story that could have easily gone overlooked. It's just all the thought and attention they put into this game.

Heck it even reminds me of some of the better aspects of the Mass Effect series at times. The way you can actually check out and explore our solar system, the way you fly around on your ship with a distinctive crew you can assemble, how they can accompany you and have their own dialogue and reactions to everything, the different hub world city/town locations all over the galaxy, it just truly feels like they managed to capture all of the best aspects of space exploration games and open world RPG's. Basically, in an era where I seem to struggle to get interested in a lot of the new hyped up games, this is something that truly captures my interest. It's also the type of game where I can just relax and soak it in at my own pace. A true diamond in the rough.

Wish I felt the same. Had to drop it after about 10ish hours of trying to force myself to like it. It just wasn't for me. And there are way to many other games to play.

I also have to disagree with the "diamond in the rough" quote. This year has been outstanding for games. You have to be pure greatness in order to come out on top of the rest in 2023. I don't think Starfield is greatness.....but to each his own.

Last edited:
Happy for you.
For me it was a huge disappointment overall in terms of writing and overall exploration.
Enjoying my time with it but could be way better.
So much missed potential from that brilliant Space Epic I expected.

killatopak

NN26sRU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom