• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So....Chuck (NBC, 8 PM EST Mondays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Some hilarious moments last night. Captain Awesome is, well, awesome. First the awkward tango lesson for Chuck, then last night, the awkward "man"/tucking lessons with Morgan. And the OC parody at the end had me in stitches (the song and slo-mo bit with Chuck running into the party and meeting Morgan is an exact recreation of a scene in The OC when Ryan ran to meet Marissa on New Years Eve, down to the very song, "Dice"; except here it was hilarious instead of cheesey).

suaveric

I thought this week was really good too... maybe my favorite episode of them all (hard to beat a princess leia costume). This show is starting to really grow on me, I hope it doesn't get axed via the writer's strike.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm glad they're keeping this show fun. It's not the most incredible show ever... it's just one of those TV shows that's fun to watch and doesn't require a lot of commitment to it's plot *cough*24/lost*cough*.

I just really like this show still. Plus the buddy stuff this week was sweet.

B.K.

Solo said:
Its pretty lightweight, but its also pretty endearing. I think Chuck and Ellie have the first brother/sister relationship Ive ever enjoyed on television.

I don't know. I think it's kind of creepy the way she always clings to him. She'd probably be happier to have Chuck around than her boyfriend. It's really weird watching them together.

Raistlin

Monday has become my favorite TV night (though I usually DVR it for later).

Seriously ... Chuck, Heroes, Journeyman is pretty much an unbeatable 3-hour block IMO.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Onix said:

Seriously ... Chuck, Heroes, Journeyman is pretty much an unbeatable 3-hour block IMO.
bingo. i agree. i've yet to get to journeyman... it'll probably happen tomorrow with Scrubs :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Onix said:

Yup I enjoy all three of those shows plus How I Met Your Mother. I usually end up saving Chuck for Tuesday night though since its pretty much a dead zone for me.

medrew

That was by far and away the best ep so far. It seemed to have a good balance of all the characters and a lack of some of the more cringe worthy scenes that do populate the show from time to time. Also helped develop some backstory instead of all the beating around the bush. It's quite scary how much more I am enjoying this than Heroes.

Another, less subtle, reference to the OC as well in this one.

Zalasta

Chuck doesn't take itself seriously, so for me I can enjoy it without feeling like the show is being pretentious. There are moments where it stumbles, but overall it's just fun, like most of you have already mentioned. And yes, that last moment reveal of what Bryce did for Chuck was quite a surprise, but sadly, it's probably the last time we'll see them together, unless they delve deeper into their past via flashbacks, but I think they've already gave closure to that relationship.

Solo

medrew said:
Another, less subtle, reference to the OC as well in this one.

"....Season 2. Underrated" :lol

Another fantastic episode. I really liked where they went with the Bryce story. Previously I had wondered why Chuck would have even been friends with such an asshole. But then seeing that Bryce did it to save his best friend from a life he was too good for, well, what can I say, it made me a Bryce fan. I really liked the flashback of how they met too.

Belfast

Zalasta said:
Chuck doesn't take itself seriously, so for me I can enjoy it without feeling like the show is being pretentious. There are moments where it stumbles, but overall it's just fun, like most of you have already mentioned. And yes, that last moment reveal of what Bryce did for Chuck was quite a surprise, but sadly, it's probably the last time we'll see them together, unless they delve deeper into their past via flashbacks, but I think they've already gave closure to that relationship.

We'll probably see him again. Still got to see exactly how he and Sarah hooked up in the first place and what *their* lives were like together.

Solo

And should the show live long enough, Id wager dimes to donuts that we see Bryce turn up, alive and well. Probably just when Sarah and Chuck finally hook up.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Easily the best episode of the series last night. The lame jokes clicked, the story didn't suck and it was cool. plus the norweigan bowhunting assassin was cool :lol

the preview for next week: WOW.
Sarah saying that they should 'make love'? I hope chuck says no, despite how badly I'd kill to see sarah like that :lol

Kabouter

whytemyke said:
Easily the best episode of the series last night. The lame jokes clicked, the story didn't suck and it was cool. plus the norweigan bowhunting assassin was cool :lol

the preview for next week: WOW.
Sarah saying that they should 'make love'? I hope chuck says no, despite how badly I'd kill to see sarah like that :lol
I thought he was Icelandic?

Solo

He was.

And yeah, that "make love" line was hilarious. Well, Chuck's reaction was at least. And Rachel Bilson <3

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
This show has grown on me. I really didn't like the fact that Chuck had like no brains in the beginning, so, its good to see them let him think, and try and defend himself. All the bond references make me smile as well. Can't wait for next week.

Oh, and throw me in the camp that was surprised about where they went with Bryce. This was the best episode this season.

gblues

Banned
Milchjon said:
Wasn't Chuck's reaction a reference to GTA ("hot coffee")?

I noticed that reference, too. I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

Adam Baldwin was awesome in this episode. "Take a shower, hippie."

Ripclawe

Banned
Why does the NBC lineup seem to feature more people who are on other shows than anyone else? The guy from Alias who plays camera man on moonlight is the main baddie tonight.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
This show keeps getting better and better. I hope that it doesn't get cancelled. Along with the other new NBC shows. Except for Bionic Woman. I stopped watching that crap.

lunarworks said:
At this point I think it's safe to express my opinion that Chuck = Best New Show.

Personally, I wouldn't go that far. Chuck doesn't hold a candle to Pushing Daisies. But, it is a very enjoyable and entertaining show. More than I gave it credit for when it first came on.

Shouta

Man, such a fun episode. I really like how they integrate the various day to day stuff with the spy junk. :lol

Good stuff tonight. It's definitely getting better as the season continues. Sarah shooting the bad guy after his gymnastics routine was awesome. :lol Cool that they used the Eels song, too.

Hunter D

Cornballer said:
Good stuff tonight. It's definitely getting better as the season continues. Sarah shooting the bad guy after his gymnastics routine was awesome. :lol Cool that they used the Eels song, too.
Love this show. This is a dramedy/action series that mixes the genres in unique way that feels right. The actors are never too serious or comedic in their mannerisms or when they deliver their lines and the show has a slight cheesy feeling to it that just fits. Sad to say, but Heroes is the dud of monday night nbc.

This show and Friday Night Lights should at least be getting 15 million+ viewers per episode.

Memles

Great episode, and for a variety of reasons.

However, most important is that they introduced a potential huge gaping plot hole that, on further investigation, they planned out really well. When Sarah admitted to being able to suppress the effects of the truth serum, I immediately went to that cynical place where this totally rendered her actions during the truth serum scene as false.

However, upon thinking back to it, Sarah never actually said anything overly truthful - that was left primarily to Casey and Chuck. Her only "truth" lines were her insistence she was better at picking locks (An easy game to play) and her comment to Chuck. Sometimes I forget that some NBC Monday shows are capable of avoiding such logical leaps.

I dislike that we're still hanging onto their sexual tension, but I do like that it's been given a bit more depth with the arrival of Bilson.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Yeah. Awesome episode tonight, and using that song from Scrubs was badass, too. It's clear that the writers are at least mildly geeky because a lot of the 'geek' stuff actually works where people who aren't geeks (read: look down on video games, teh internetz, etc) would just have the jokes flop. Like the whole sex scene with the candle and the Oldboy poster on the wall was cool, I thought.

Oh well. Love that song... gotta dust off the ol' Scrubs soundtrack :lol

Troblin

I really didn't want to like this show, but watching the past two episodes has made me a fan. Like everyone said, it fits well in the Chuck/Heroes/Journeyman lineup.

I really like the 3 way love triangle thing they're introducing with Rachel Bilson. Next weeks episode should be good.

Solo

Best episode of the series yet for me last night (it seems like we've been able to say this for almost every single successive episode, which is incredibly impressive). I cant believe how well this show is hitting all the notes pitch-perfect for me. The actress playing Sarah really does well with the subtle emotions; you can read all her feelings on her face, especially the part in the end when Chuck "breaks up" with her.

Also, I already love Rachel Bilson's character, and I can already see a great chemistry between her and Zachary Levi (Mr. Bartowski himself).

I am going to be so sad if, when the 13 episodes are up, the strike continues on for a long time, and the show never returns. KEEP CHUCK ALIVE, NBC!

Solo

Yeah, this show bring the funny. At least several times an episode it gets me. Last night it was Sarah's "big bells" and the truth-serum Ellie's "awesome" rant, and Chuck's truth-serum "Casey, your jaw looks like it was sculpted by Michaelangelo himself" :lol

Memles

The show has managed to strike a good balance between comedy and drama - this episode, in particular, played like an episode of Alias with a greater sense of humor. Which, let's face it, is probably a great television option.

Bilson was good last night - a fun contrast to Sarah. I'll be interested to see what wacky hijinks they base at the Buy More now that the Tang-ster is gone. Or maybe he'll return with a vengeance, but I felt like that line of comedy was getting a little played out (Tang vs. employees...)

OmniGamer

Count me in on the Chuck love train. Apart from an episode a few weeks ago or so, i've definitely enjoyed the series so far(and the gratuitous manflesh in the form of Captain Awesome). Loved seeing "Marshall" again...and I don't usually notice stuff like this, but when Sarah shot him in the knee, the Wilhelm scream really stood out of place, lol.

Side-note, having a DVR definitely makes me check out shows I don't think I would ordinarily care about. This, Pushing Daisies and Kid Nation have been my "I'll DVR and see" pleasant surprises of the season.

Mashing

This is one, of only a few, shows that genuinely make me laugh out loud. As has been said before it's a great mix of comedy and drama. I wish I had a sister like Chuck's; she's fucking awesome.

Belfast

Chuck doesn't even get close to the amount of love it deserves. This is one show that NeoGAF passed on far too soon.

Nooooooo! Not
Harry Tang!

The Buy More stuff is my fave part of the show.
It's just not gonna be the same without Harry.

Solo

Belfast said:
Chuck doesn't even get close to the amount of love it deserves. This is one show that NeoGAF passed on far too soon.

The 10 or so :)lol ) steadfast fans posting in this thread love it deeply. We are small in numbers, but hey, thats always more fun when the show has something of a cult viewing. Look at the 24/Heroes clusterfuck threads. This one is nice.

For those that watch the previews, any guess on whats in the
cryo-chamber thingie? Its gotta be either Bryce or Papa Bartowski (or is it the mother? which one is alive?). We all know that one if not both will return sooner or later. Im betting on Bryce still breathing.

Solo said:
The 10 or so :)lol ) steadfast fans posting in this thread love it deeply. We are small in numbers, but hey, thats always more fun when the show has something of a cult viewing. Look at the 24/Heroes clusterfuck threads. This one is nice.

cryo-chamber thingie? Its gotta be either Bryce or Papa Bartowski (or is it the mother? which one is alive?). We all know that one if not both will return sooner or later. Im betting on Bryce still breathing.

I'm with you. First thing I thought when saw the preview was
Wow! They're bring Bryce back alread?!?!

My favourite quote from last night:

(Both under truth serum effect.)

Casey: If you run off with that vial I'll chase after you and threaten to shoot you in the head.

Chuck: Will you really shoot me in the head?

Casey: No.

Belfast

Solo said:

Bryce sounds like a good bet, if only because it seems like they intended use the actor a lot more, but at the same time, why would they keep it a secret for so long? And now that they just introduced a new love interest for Chuck, it might invalidate the triangle. Sarah could just go right back to Bryce if he were alive. So, if it IS him, then I'm guessing they haven't "revived" him yet (hence the cryostasis). It's a convenient way for them to keep Bryce in the picture for future use, even if there's no real need to bring him back yet.

Belfast said:
Bryce sounds like a good bet, if only because it seems like they intended use the actor a lot more, but at the same time, why would they keep it a secret for so long? And now that they just introduced a new love interest for Chuck, it might invalidate the triangle. Sarah could just go right back to Bryce if he were alive. So, if it IS him, then I'm guessing they haven't "revived" him yet (hence the cryostasis). It's a convenient way for them to keep Bryce in the picture for future use, even if there's no real need to bring him back yet.

I did think the same thing about how it effected the love triangle.

On a different note, the show has some very attractive women on it. There is the obvious in Sarah of course, but Chuch's sister is hot as well, as is Bilson, and I even dig the little asian hottie working at the Buy More. :)

Solo said:
I'm pretty pleased that it worked out this way. It reminds me a lot of the Rome threads where we'd just talk about the show and have a good time.

Cornballer said:
I'm pretty pleased that it worked out this way. It reminds me a lot of the Rome threads where we'd just talk about the show and have a good time.

Yeah, the Rome threads were some of the best on GAF. Only reason I haven't been in this thread more is that I've been DVR-ing the show and watching it later in the week. Last night I just happened to catch it right after it recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom