• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So does Stadia even have 3rd party support?

The VGA's made me realize no one said their game was also coming to Stadia. So how does Google plan on being a player if they don't even have new games being announced for its platform.

Will they even be around long enough for them to release a first party game? Right now, just seems like a bad investment for everyone involved. Consumers and Google.

Last edited:

Nydus

Already forgot about it lol

I thought if it comes to pc it comes to stadia. But maybe that's not the case. Then they are likely fucked.

I've never seen or heard anyone excited for Stadia... When their ads pop up I switch videos just to avoid watching that mess of advertisement. The lack of developers announcing their games on Google's streaming service is pretty sad. Ouya 2.0

Already forgot about it lol

I thought if it comes to pc it comes to stadia. But maybe that's not the case. Then they are likely fucked.
That was the issue; that even PC games had to be rebuilt to run on Stadia, so there is a barrier to entry. And as long as the barrier is there, combined with a tiny install base, Google will struggle to attract third party support.

Google really only has one way out; throw money at its 1st party studio and create AAA exclusives. Basically do what Nintendo did to survive and thrive. It always come down to exclusives.

Sejan

That was the issue; that even PC games had to be rebuilt to run on Stadia, so there is a barrier to entry. And as long as the barrier is there, combined with a tiny install base, Google will struggle to attract third party support.

Google really only has one way out; throw money at its 1st party studio and create AAA exclusives. Basically do what Nintendo did to survive and thrive. It always come down to exclusives.
Yeah. Stadia runs a Linux based OS which means that all games will either have to be compiled specifically for Stadia or run through a compatibility layer. The first option is superior, but demands a fair amount of work for a small install base. The second option is easier, but will run worse natively and might introduce bugs.

As you said, Google’s only hope is to throw money at it until it develops and audience. The only other option is the unlikely scenario that Stadia picks up steam when the free option releases.

This all completely ignores that the internet infrastructure in much of the US is not up to the demands of large scale use of Stadia. Even ifI wanted it, my data caps make Stadia a nonstarter for me from the get go.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Stadia has as much 3rd party support as Google is willing to buy and for as long as they're willing to keep paying for it.

Ribi

Sure! It's like the switch where everyones favorite games from years ago will be ported over and given the gimmick of you can play anywhere! Don't y'all like destiny 2!

ViolentP

Stadia needs to lean into functionality if they are only going to release games found elsewhere during this beta. They need to release some tabletop games with seamless multiplayer and build an enticing community.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I've never seen or heard anyone excited for Stadia... When their ads pop up I switch videos just to avoid watching that mess of advertisement. The lack of developers announcing their games on Google's streaming service is pretty sad. Ouya 2.0
Does Stadia have support by anyone?
You guys have not visited /r/Stadia. Dont! You will lose brain cells if you go there.

C'mon guys, Stadia was the best thing to ever happen to GAF. The entertainment and comedy was off the charts. All console warriors declared a truce to come together united to mock and meme this epic dumpster fire.

I miss the Stadia threads.
You gotta understand that Stadia is not aiming for hard cores gamers that represents only a small % of the gaming community, you can mock it on a forum but that not how it goes.
Stadia is for that new generation of casual gamers (kids), FACT.

DanielsM

Banned
You gotta understand that Stadia is not aiming for hard cores gamers that represents only a small % of the gaming community, you can mock it on a forum but that not how it goes.
Stadia is for that new generation of casual gamers (kids), FACT.

You mean like the gamers from 10 years ago that had the same thing? (FACT, there is nothing new here)

(I was already starting to forget its name)

Any of these look familiar?

Probably thinks a Model-T is an automobile for the new generation, suckers born every day.

Last edited:

RScrewed

Probably will have lots of "3rd Party".

No second party. Which is dumb.

Snatch up some studios and have 2nd party indie games that don't suck and you can't play anywhere else and they might have a winner.

Hinging your entire strategy on a worse experience for about the same money is a stupid premise.

Lol .. you will not. Tiny userbase incompatible os,

Sell it now if u want to get some money back.
Don't worry, ain't buying that :messenger_grinning_smiling:, but i do think new generation of kids will buy it easy, it gonna get hyped by youtubers to target those kids.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Who knows, when something goes wrong you have to adapt so ... if it flops they will drop prices.
Why would (non-exclusive) third parties drop prices though? If they have a game on Xbox, PlayStation and Stadia and it just does not sell well on Stadia, they lose nothing by not dropping the price on Stadia, because there is no stockkeeping or anything. They will just be more critical of putting additional games on Stadia.

Why would (non-exclusive) third parties drop prices though? If they have a game on Xbox, PlayStation and Stadia and it just does not sell well on Stadia, they lose nothing by not dropping the price on Stadia, because there is no stockkeeping or anything. They will just be more critical of putting additional games on Stadia.
Sony & Microsoft get a good fair margin on games sold on their platform so ... Stadia will cut from the profit of each game, thats how they will drop prices.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sony & Microsoft get a good fair margin on games sold on their platform so ... Stadia will cut from the profit of each game, thats how they will drop prices.
Google takes 30%. Assuming Google is willing to have absolutely no income at all from game sales (i.e. make Stadia a huge money sink) then they could lower the price of a 60€ game to 42€, assuming the publishers are willing to give the full Google share to the customers. I doubt that this is the level of deals to drastically alter the course, becaue that's the price level you can get on PC anyway.

Top Bottom