• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so GlaDOS in Pacific Rim is pretty distracting..

marrec

Banned
practically this. i didn't care enough about the story to continue into portal but i appreciate the voice, it'll be a nice bit of trivia knowing where its from when i watch this with whichever chica has a couple of hours to spare.. should "whichever chica" recognize the voice and make mention of it, we shall be wed before the morrow.

Good move, I showed the trailer to my wife and she was like 'THAT'S GLADOS!'.

But then again, she also posts on GAF.

VVIS

Neo Member
If Valve is actually behind this, then the release of Source Filmmaker was their zenith and Pacific Rim represents the first in a number of failures, which will result in the worthless remnants of Valve being sold to Atari for 3.5 million dollars in 2021.

Since TF2 will be solid to ActivisionChina in 2019, a number of former Valve employees remain wealthy. Unfortunately Gabe decided to stay on at Valve, pouring more and more of his own money into the flailing AR department. Until that tragic day in 2020 when he was pulled into The Grid, where he lives in solitude with a digital clone of Olivia Wilde.

Persona7

Banned
I bet a lot of people who actually played Portal don't even know the characters name let alone be able to make that connection.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I bet a lot of people who actually played Portal don't even know the characters name let alone be able to make that connection.
You've gotta be kidding.

wrowa

Sure. There are probably also a lot of people who watched Star Wars and don't know the name of that black guy with the mask.

Sure. There are probably also a lot of people who watched Star Wars and don't know the name of that black guy with the mask.

is the name glados even prominently mentioned in the game? I mean sure, glados and her voice are well known, at least in the gaming scene, but the name?

wrowa

is the name glados even prominently mentioned in the game? I mean sure, glados and her voice are well known, at least in the gaming scene, but the name?

That's a good question, actually. She's mentioned in Portal 2 quite often I think, but since she's the only one talking in Portal 1 it wouldn't make much sense for her to mention her name all the time. I can't remember either way.

Though, I'd argue that GLaDOS is primarly defined by her voice anyway. Neither the name nor her actual optical appearance matter much, since she's build up as an audio-only character for most of the games. I can't imagine that anyone who went through either of the Portal games watched the "GLaDOS" scenes in the Pacific Rim trailer without recognizing the voice -- even if it's just a vague "I know that voice from somwhere" kind of recognition.

In any case, it's a neat easter egg as long as they don't overuse it.

polg

gY57M.gif

I wish...

M3d10n

She never introduces herself, but you learn the name from writing in the walls and the slideshows in the offices. Also, if you have subtitles enabled the name is there for everyone to see.

diamount

Banned
Don't really like hearing it at all. Especially if the voice is going to be serious all the time if the trailer is anything to go by, that kind of voice is best used for sarcastic.

The Hermit

So GLaDOS + Striger Bell + Mirror's Edge Faith + Mechs with guilhermo del toro as the director...

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!!!

kuroshiki

for those of you who havent seen it: http://youtu.be/2vKz7WnU83E?t=46s

that's Ellen McLain doing a voice in Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim, and for some reason (probably Guillermo asked her, knowing he loves Portal) she decided to do exactly the same voice as GlaDOS.

GlaDOS is a pretty big pop culture character at this point, even trascending your typical gaming characters at some point, and I find it really distracting. If the AI has a name not a single person in the world is not-gonna call her GlaDOS.

This weird thing got me thinking tho, has there ever been anything like this before? someone doing VO in a game and later doing something very similar in a different form of media thus creating this situation? if anything I though non-OT folk should catch this because its fucking weiiiiiiiiiiiird.

I'm sorry, what?

Top Bottom