• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So hand drawn 2D animation is now considered childish by the masses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy Metal.

I hear Eastman's producing a new heavy metal animated movie now.
Yes, all those things you point out look different, but the difference are not major.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're out of your depth and talking yourself into a corner.

Here's a recommended watch list:

-Persepolis
-Nocturna
-Watership Down
-Plague Dogs
-The Last Unicorn
-Flight of Dragons
-Wizards
- Rock and Rule
-Gisaku
-Dead Leaves
-Tripelettes de Belleville

Watch these and get back to me about how all traditionally animated things look the same, you twat.

Halycon said:
You'd think they'd get hit (or even grazed) by at least ONE stray bullet but nooooooooo...

Bullet proof characters piss me off.

STFU and watch the whole video.

One other error in the reportage I’ve seen: someone mentioned Lady Jaye in connection with RESOLUTE. Lady Jaye is not actually in RESOLUTE. Scarlett is the female lead on the Joe side of the story, I guess, although there is another female character on the new Joe team with a significant role. Two probably-beloved characters die in the first five minutes. Snake-Eyes gets to impale someone while travelling at a hundred miles an hour. Cobra Commander isn’t very funny any more. Although, really, given that his uniform includes wearing a bag over his head, there are limits to how unfunny he can be at any given time.

G.I.Joe: Resolute

DO WANT!

tak

agrajag said:
ahem, how are the differences between these NOT major?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0307126862.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.rugratonline.com/rug10inv.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.marvinryan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/gits.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
We're not talking about 3D, we're talking about 2D. Though I have things to say about 3D.

This is difference I'm talking about, what your showing me is small difference.

[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/romerojcarlos/Fragonard_The_Swing-1.jpg
eastAsiaFantasia1280-1.jpg

agrajag

Banned
tak said:
This is difference I'm talking about, what your showing me is small difference.

The difference between Rugrats and Ghost in the Shell is as great as in the two paintings you posted. Stop being such a contrarian.

tak

Duck Amuck said:
You have a point, but you argued that the reason people got bored of 2d cartoons was because of this very fact. I think it's something the average person doesn't really think about.
You might be right. I don't have anything to backup my original claim, just what I observe. However, my claim is based on the fact that I see a lot people group all major 2D animation movies together, and I think the art style is the main reason why. People have come to associate feel good, always happy ending children movies with the Disney art style. They know what to expect when they see the Disney art style, so they don't see it as anything new (ie they're bored).

Duck Amuck said:
I just don't think you're being realistic. It's like complaining "why are live action movies only in color or black and white? I want more!" and not setting your expectations to a reasonable level. I mean, are you actually expecting something that looks like that first painting in 2d animation? Do you realize the work that goes into the *traditional* animation process?
Yes, I do. I do animation as a hobby. I spent a half year on one hand drawn animation project for a animation class long ago and the animation only lasted a minute. I do mostly 3D stuff now a days, but that is still pretty hard.

I understand that in the past they did animation in a certain style mainly because of the difficulty in having to draw each frame by hand, but we live in a different era. Computers have made 2D animation a lot easier, and I have yet to see many major 2D animation films exploit the computer to the full extent to dive into a different art style. Kung Fu Panda dream sequence kind of did it. What we are mainly seeing is what we see in Princess and the Frog trailer, were we see the computer used to enhance the old style (ie more multiplane animation, etc...).

Diablos

madara said:
What I heard in Target today had my mouth on floor. Soccer mom in movie section tells her boy to put The Great Mouse Detective back because its "animated" and to get a movie more his age, which seemed to turn out to be Flushed Away. I nearly started crying.

It was perfectly fine and loved for centuries but now that we have cold realistic CG, is the general consensus really this? Its bad enough the game industry is so damn "mature" now you have to use muted gray polys and guns in most epic games out there but I was kinda hoping since anime is still popular that a good 2D film could still happen and make money like CG one?
Yeah... I love CG at times, but honestly, there's NOTHING wrong with old-fashioned animation. Nothing at all.

Really though, when it comes to cartoons and stuff, hand drawn animation is so much better. It is much more likely to stand the test of time; art is art. With CG, what may look amazing one day has a good chance of looking outdated in a few years.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The number of posters in this thread who think that no cels = not hand drawn is disturbing.
Yes, The Little Mermaid was the last Disney movie where they used cels, but Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. all used hand-drawn character animation done on actual paper using... wait for it... pencils. Shocking, I know. /sigh
Yes, there are some examples of CG character animation in their traditional films like...

The head of the Cave of Wonders in Aladdin
The magic carpet in Aladdin
Most of the wildebeest in The Lion King
The hydra in Hercules
B.E.N. in Treasure Planet
Parts of Long John Silver's body in Treasure Planet
Assorted alien wildlife in Treasure Planet
etc.

... but it's a tiny fraction of the animation in these movies. In short, fuck off.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Duck Amuck said:
Rescuers Down Under was the shit.
But it had a CG vehicle in it. Oh noes!

The Black Cauldron was not given a good reception (critically or commercially) because it was regarded as too dark for children. This was in the mid 80s.

I've always been a fan of good story and good character development/interaction. I don't care if it's 3D or 2D as long as it can tell a good story and have intresting/compelling characters I tend to like it.

That being said well I usually don't care if it's 2D or 3D, 2D hand drawn animation does have a special place in my heart.

Oh and I need to find this woman for saying that "The Great Mouse Detective." is childish. That is one of my all time favorite movies. I mean it has Vincent Price in it! Vincet Price!

HK-47 said:
When has Miyazaki ever done that movie? Many of his pictures are quite complex, especially Mononoke and Spirited Away. And with Totoro and Kiki and Ponyo he does something Disney never does. A movie without conflict and danger, just life, however fantastical. Miyazaki never seems to fall back on absolute evil in his movies or clear villians.

Duck Amuck said:
I'm just saying that I think it's silly how a good amount of animated works in the west are almost always comedies. You can do the unrealistic without resorting to comedy. This is why I loved Wall-E so much. It WASN'T a comedy.

Since you bring up Miyazaki, what about movies like My Neighbor Totoro, Castle of Cagliostro, or Nausicaa?

OK I can totally see how that came out wrong. I LOVE Miyazaki movies. Totoro is my absolute favorite with Poco Roso a close second. Movies like the ones you listed though.. hell, 90% of his movies, would be horrible in live action, as they would still require a HUGE ammount of CGI animation to pull off. Totoro, CatBus, those caterpillar things in Nausicaa, loads in Hidden Castle and Spirited Away. They're better off animated because they have such fantastical settings and characters.

Maybe the movie I spoke of wasn't a Miyazaki movie, it was just a Studio Ghibli movie, but it bas boring as fuck, about a little girl who falls for a boy two grades above her, there's an old guy with a clock shop, she sings "Country Roads" in it. Aside from the one dream sequence the movie had no right whatsoever being animated.

Edit: And WALL-E is a romantic comedy. That's how they classify it at Pixar. A romantic comedy set against a sci-fi backdrop. It wasn't as heavy on the comedy as say, Win A Date with Tad Hamilton, but there was plenty to laugh at and slapstick comedy in it.

Monocle

Calcaneus said:
Isn't the anime industry dying in America? Last I heard less shows were making it on TV, and its nearly impossible to get good money out of dvd sales if you're not Naruto or Dragonball.

CG stunts in live-action. At least full CGI can still look good, but when out of nowhere you have a CG "stuntman" it looks horribly fake. I've never seen it done well.

Its gonna suck more down the road if this continues. Who's gonna look for the next Jackie Chan, who is a ticking timebomb as far as medical bills go, if the audience doesn't care either way?
The Dark Knight has examples of this technique very subtly put to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom