• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

Wii was a horror show because demand far outstripped any projection they had.
It's not their fault they planned for a moderate success/failure instead of the biggest phenomenon they ever created.

Wii was a horror show because demand far outstripped any projection they had.
It's not their fault they planned for a moderate success/failure instead of the biggest phenomenon they ever created.

That would account for maybe the first few months. A year later that's no excuse. They new the sales numbers by then and had plenty of time to adjust

Mael

That would account for maybe the first few months. A year later that's no excuse. They new the sales numbers by then and had plenty of time to adjust

Usually you have a lull or something where you can replenish stock and everything.
They were sold out for 3 years!
They couldn't ramp up production so much because they were not enough plants around to produce enough ships anyway (remember how the GC was a failure after all and since they share a lot of internals after all).
They increased production as much as they could without being left with half the plants to do nothing once demand is met.
My point is that it wasn't something one could account for especially since usually most stock is sent for Xmas where the demand would kick into overdrive.
They basically were selling a product with Xmas demand all year, it's the kind of problem you want to have but then you have to meet the demand and that's not easy even for a big company (not so big at the time they were not even 7000 employees).
Heck how do you explain the explosive sales in 2007 when the biggest title they had was Mario Galaxy that didn't all that much and was released near Xmas?
in 2008 they released the big hitters with Wiifit and MKWii so you could anticipate the demand.
But january 2007->October 2007?
Demand didn't cool down till late 2008 when they had basically nothing interesting to sell.
And STILL they managed to sell less than DS which had no stock problem!
So I'd say the issue is more on the manufacturing of the Wii that they had an issue they couldn't easily solve.
My point is the more you look into the actual problem the more it seems like a comment similar to "lazy devs".

Usually you have a lull or something where you can replenish stock and everything.
They were sold out for 3 years!
They couldn't ramp up production so much because they were not enough plants around to produce enough ships anyway (remember how the GC was a failure after all and since they share a lot of internals after all).
They increased production as much as they could without being left with half the plants to do nothing once demand is met.
My point is that it wasn't something one could account for especially since usually most stock is sent for Xmas where the demand would kick into overdrive.
They basically were selling a product with Xmas demand all year, it's the kind of problem you want to have but then you have to meet the demand and that's not easy even for a big company (not so big at the time they were not even 7000 employees).
Heck how do you explain the explosive sales in 2007 when the biggest title they had was Mario Galaxy that didn't all that much and was released near Xmas?
in 2008 they released the big hitters with Wiifit and MKWii so you could anticipate the demand.
But january 2007->October 2007?
Demand didn't cool down till late 2008 when they had basically nothing interesting to sell.
And STILL they managed to sell less than DS which had no stock problem!
So I'd say the issue is more on the manufacturing of the Wii that they had an issue they couldn't easily solve.
My point is the more you look into the actual problem the more it seems like a comment similar to "lazy devs".

I'm still going to disagree. You could find a PS2 pretty easily within the first year. Same with an Xbox 360. The PS2 sold more than the Wii and the 360 wasn't far off. You could find a PS4 pretty easily after a few months despite it selling incredibly well.
Even still how do you explain the other stuff I mentioned? How many game cube adapters did they make 6? The NES classic not being readily available by Holiday is laughable, no way they couldn't meet that demand. It's not like it sold 10 million units, they just always under supply.

Mael

I'm still going to disagree. You could find a PS2 pretty easily within the first year. Same with an Xbox 360. The PS2 sold more than the Wii and the 360 wasn't far off. You could find a PS4 pretty easily after a few months despite it selling incredibly well.
Even still how do you explain the other stuff I mentioned? How many game cube adapters did they make 6? The NES classic not being readily available by Holiday is laughable, no way they couldn't meet that demand. It's not like it sold 10 million units, they just always under supply.

Yeah I'm not going to defend anything but the Wii here.
NES classic, the closest explanation I have is that similar products like Genesis and Atari emu machines sold REALLY poorly so retailers didn't really want it and Nintendo planned and produced based on these estimates. They were wrong and they should plan accordingly now.

Wii was the fastest selling thing they ever had at the time, it sold at that rate (or increasing) for an abnormally long time. They were increasing production as much as could even advertising opening plants to meet the demand.
You have to remember that it was really product that they could easily throw away if it failed to edge their bets. It's different to plan for something to sell 50mil than it is to sell double that.
They basically reajusted every month because demand wasn't failing like it did for every other products.
Every other product usually have a launch period where you sell as much as you are able to stock, after that it's slower and you begin to see stock surface at retailers.
That didn't happen on Wii.
For you 360 example, MSFT basically stuffed the channel in mid 2007 to claim 'victory' on the sold 10mil mark while Wii didn't have enough stock to even get there.
And you're conflating LTD numbers too, 360 basically had 2 big marketing push where they relaunched the whole thing with Kinect, it proved successful but let's not claim that it was initially as popular as Wii on the outset either.
And we have wiki page for Wii sales performance lol
101Mil to date.
and you can see the shipment trajectory too.

Persona7

Banned
The only games that seem to be in short supply are 1, 2 switch and bomberman. Every store locally has 4-5 instead of 20+ like Zelda.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The only games that seem to be in short supply are 1, 2 switch and bomberman. Every store locally has 4-5 instead of 20+ like Zelda.

Do you know what short supply means? lol

More like there is no demand for those games.

Well Best Buy just restocked pro controllers online. So now I have my pro controller, my case, my SD card, screen protector and Zelda. Just waiting on you Switch.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

at the local bestbuy, there were 30 copies of 12 switch, more stock than the other games combined lol.

sviri

Checked a few Best Buys a few hours ago in California.... no luck yet. All stores said they have not received any additional shipments since launch.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
Good morning thread. I am swinging by 1 maybe 2 GameStops on my commute from work this evening and hoping for the best, but mainly to try and gather intel. Then tomorrow I'm heading in over my lunch hour. Fingers crossed!

This is silly.

The Wii sold more units than any other console month after month. Do you not realise what that means? There were more Wii consoles available for purchase than any other console in history.

The amount of consoles Nintendo supplied to retail was literally unprecedented.

My Switch arrived yesterday from Spain in tip-top shape. I was really worried that it would have some sort of defect and I'd have to send it back right away, but all is well. Spent some time with Zelda on both docked and handheld mode and the system is great. Really looking forward to more games, things are a bit sparse right now... but at the pace I'm playing Zelda I imagine I'll be chipping away at it for weeks, if not months.

Since my endless nightmare of refreshing is over, this is where I leave you all. Best of luck to those of you still searching for your Switches. All I can say at this point is buying from an international Amazon site was a boon for me with no major hiccups, so if it's an option, you should go for it!

I'm not even sure what your trying to say. But the Wii was not easily and readily available for well over a year after launch.
Yes, but it wasn't for Nintendo holding back supply. They were selling more than any home console had before and kept increasing production, but things still didn't even out for about 3 years.

Griss

uhhh..something that is only available in small amounts.

Nah, it means that the amount available does not / will not equal demand.

Therefore, with these games the fact that there's few of them on shelves doesn't mean they're in short supply as that small amount is presumably plenty to meet demand.

Luschient

Welp, so far this morning I've tried 2 Targets, a Walmart, and Costco with no luck. Hitting up a Best Buy on the way home and if they don't have it then I'm done searching for this thing. Will just wait until it's sitting on shelves, whenever that is.

Welp, so far this morning I've tried 2 Targets, a Walmart, and Costco with no luck. Hitting up a Best Buy on the way home and if they don't have it then I'm done searching for this thing. Will just wait until it's sitting on shelves, whenever that is.
Unless you are hardcore dedicated to find a Switch no matter what, it is best just to wait till it can be much easier to get one. That is what I am doing since it will be at least around summer before I may try to get a Switch.

This is where im at. I'm running myslef ragged

Going by some stock trackers it seems like a lot of stores got restocks today. Not much in my state though. Also some gamestops popped up on there, so I'm guessing those shipments came in early.

I've given up on randomly showing up at stores. I just check iStockNow with New Arrival's filter on and have online alerts. I don't have the patience to run around to every single store.

I've given up on randomly showing up at stores. I just check iStockNow with New Arrival's filter on and have online alerts. I don't have the patience to run around to every single store.
Yeah going store to store is tough. I wish those in stock trackers were a little more reliable. I'm hoping for an Amazon restock

My Switch arrived yesterday from Spain in tip-top shape. I was really worried that it would have some sort of defect and I'd have to send it back right away, but all is well. Spent some time with Zelda on both docked and handheld mode and the system is great. Really looking forward to more games, things are a bit sparse right now... but at the pace I'm playing Zelda I imagine I'll be chipping away at it for weeks, if not months.

Since my endless nightmare of refreshing is over, this is where I leave you all. Best of luck to those of you still searching for your Switches. All I can say at this point is buying from an international Amazon site was a boon for me with no major hiccups, so if it's an option, you should go for it!

It looks like Amazon Spain doesn't ship internationally currently/anymore, and they increased the price of the Switch by 10 euro.

Yep. Still nothing in my area. Seems like a lot of people on this thread have been slowly getting them the past few days. Hopefully that bodes well for me in the next few days.

Same, although there's a lone Gamestop up above Boston MA that claims to have gotten stock two hours ago lol. That's like a three hour drive for me. I'm hoping it's a sign that stock is about to hit most of southern MA tomorrow though.

Same, although there's a lone Gamestop up above Boston MA that claims to have gotten stock two hours ago lol. That's like a three hour drive for me. I'm hoping it's a sign that stock is about to hit most of southern MA tomorrow though.

Yeah I'm just outside Boston but it looks like the one that got stock was Peabody. If I wasn't at work I would have called and headed over. I assume they are probably gone at this point, but I'll give them a call when I get off just to be sure.

Yeah I'm just outside Boston but it looks like the one that got stock was Peabody. If I wasn't at work I would have called and headed over. I assume they are probably gone at this point, but I'll give them a call when I get off just to be sure.

Good luck if you call and decide to head out!

Hari Seldon

I wish I could just put my name on a fucking list and get an email when mine comes in. This calling and checking stock websites is fucking horseshit. This is 2017 why the fuck isn't this more streamlined.

I wish I could just put my name on a fucking list and get an email when mine comes in. This calling and checking stock websites is fucking horseshit. This is 2017 why the fuck isn't this more streamlined.

GameStop was doing something like that about a week and a half ago. Doesn't appear to be going on anymore.

Futureman

Yep I'd gladly put down a $300 non refundable deposit. I guess these stores figure they'll sell the systems no matter what so why bother? I have a Best Buy elite gold membership or whatever it's called... would be nice perk for them to hold one for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom