• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does Microsoft name the next Xbox now?

Xbox Infinity

Xbox Loop

Those all seem plausible.

I think we see one of those with the logo like Xbox with the sideways 8

And they play hard on the integration with Windows 8 and the Windows 8 App Store

Harlock

They need go Xbox only. Any other word together will get a lot of critics while Sony don´t have this problems using the simple Playstation 4 solution.

dorkimoe

I think a huge part of calling this gen's Miscrosoft console the 'Xbox 360' was because they were up against Sony's third gen console, Playstation 3. There was no way they wanted to look inferior by calling it Xbox 2 while playstation had the 3 to their name. So now how does MS name the new xbox, since the new playstation is PS4? Will it be "Xbox: subtitle" or just "Xbox"? imo just 'xbox' sounds weak and even the '360' this time was kind of a lame name.

Kinectbox?

Or they were just more creative than numbering?

Dany

Banned
It was going to be called the PS4, that was a 90% guarantee. Of anything from the sony meeting, I doubt the naming of the next xbox is undergoing a massive turnover.

I think I would go with the rumoured Xbox 8 or Xbox infinity or Xbox ∞.

8 because its twice as much as 4 or infinity because its infinitely better then 4.

Whatever they pick it will be bigger then 4.

Shtof

I hate that Sony named the NGP Vita instead of PSP2 just because they are up against the "3"DS. No one knows what the hell a Vita is anyway, a PSP2 would have instant brand recognition and would probably sell better as well. Randy Pitchford put it best:

vitahippybar.jpg

On topic: I don't know. Xbox 8 is probably what they're gonna go for, styled like the infinity symbol, ∞. Y'know because of Windows 8.

I'm going with Xbox 8. Their whole marketing could be something, like, "Xbox 8, with Windows 8 and 8 GB of RAM."

They probably came up with this before finding out about PS4's 8 GB of GDDR5.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think they need to follow Apple's lead and just name the console

Xbox

The brand has enough strength that people know what is being talked about. And the fact that the Xbox 360 will still be available for some time it creates enough difference to easily clarify which system is being talked about.
One of the genius things about doing what Apple did is that it actually gives the older console/pad continued exposure.

Let me explain and see if anyone agrees.

When someone starts talking about the iPad now (and more importantly right at its release) people will usually ask "do you mean the iPad 2 or the new one?". Both versions have been included in the conversation and awareness for both is still being shown/harvested.
Not only is this a way to keep the older model in customers minds it doesn't kill the older model with the obvious "3 is better than 2" acknowledgment. It's just "new".

When you have an older version still in the marketplace you still have to nurture sales to get those models off the shelves.

If Microsoft names their next console simply "Xbox" they pull themselves completely out of the number game that Sony has established and it doesn't hurt the 360 as much.
It is also a very brave branding move to cut off the extra fluff and just focus on the name like Apple did.
I don't know Microsoft's plans for support of the 360 after their next console releases but maybe they do a remodel and market it as a digital set-top box. Eliminate the disc drive, still offer access to all of the downloadable content on the marketplace, Netflix etc.. Keep Kinect accessibility.
It could work.

I would love to see them do this.

Top Bottom