• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.... I inherited an old Japanese Game Center

STG!

Really amazing discovery, and it looks like there's some obscure candies (nice Consolette) that you don't see much of. What was the name of this Game Center? Definitely take a lot more pics of this OP!

One observation: SFEX2 came out in the late 90's, so this arcade was open for a lot longer than you might have thought. :) Wonder what else is in there...

You'd definitely be able to sell these cabs to a distributor overseas.
Put me down for two Aero City's and/or an Aero Table if that's in there, lol.

Filaipus

Banned
Turn it into a bar/arcade place, with nice music and all that. Have tournaments of a specific game every week. Those kind of bars are always successful, specially if they are localized in a nice place (yours seem to be).

Maybe begin smaller, only 1 floor, so the cost of electricity is lower and if you get the clients gradually increase it.

Good luck!

akira28

We should all help you clean it up. We can wear towel headbands and it will all be very cinematic.

I'll make a playlist of 80s montage songs. So far Mister Mister's Take These Broken Wings and Styx - Mr Roboto are included. Any requests?

I only ask that we be given hachimaki headbands with the red rising sun. And that you hire some rabbit girls for the opening night.

We should all help you clean it up. We can wear towel headbands and it will all be very cinematic.
I'll make a playlist of 80s montage songs. So far Mister Mister's Take These Broken Wings and Styx - Mr Roboto are included. Any requests.

I only ask that we be given hachimaki headbands with the red rising sun. And that you hire some rabbit girls for the opening night.
Oh god I'm dead XD

I'll make a playlist of 80s montage songs. So far Mister Mister's Take These Broken Wings and Styx - Mr Roboto are included. Any requests?

If we're talking '80s, can I request Toto - Africa and/or John Farnham - You're the voice? :D

5amshift

Banned
This is crazy! Congrats on your end. If you sell any cabinets, I'd buy one off of you if we got a bunch of people to buy so shipping is cheaper. The cabinets seem too old to compete with the rest of the Japanese game centers, but you never know.

Schrade

You have to throw some Journey in there too. They are the ultimate 80's arcade music.

(See Tron: Legacy)

That scene where Sam Flynn walks into the arcade and powers it up... chills man.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
OP has a girlfriend and a Japanese arcade.

It's like some people have everything in life.

To be fair, I think it's more likely some of us would get a Game Center before a girlfriend, or even a rich Japanese girlfriend.

It's like one of those things you write fanfiction about yourself about

Most of the cabs look like late 80s and early 90s probably would fetch 200-300, if you could get them running and they were in good working order up to 450. Put them all in a shipping container and send them off to the west. Get in contact with some of the other niche arcade forums like neo-geo, system11, and arcade otaku. Should be able to offload quite a bit. If you want to part out the pcbs I'd love to see a list and maybe purchase some.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just got the ok, details will be posted soon :)

キタ━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ッ

@Parakeetman rent a van and pick me up so we can buy machines ( ≖‿≖)

Nephix

Wow this is so awesome.
Any information about where and how any possible meeting is going to take place?

Would love to help out somehow as I live in Tokyo as well.

jholmes

This is a great story. Congratulations, OP, and I hope to see more about your adventure -- preferably on GameCenter CX!

Dachande

I don't think words can express my jealousy.

I adore Astro City cabs (I think I see a couple in the back in the fourth pic) but the Aero Citys are nice too. If you can't find anywhere in Japan to take them, someone in Europe or the US certainly will.

Please take more pictures! It's absolutely crazy that this was just turned off and locked away for nearly two decades. I'd love to see a complete inventory of what was left behind in a 90s Japanese arcade, frozen in time.

Muku

Daaammmmnnn. That sounds so awesome. Also agree it sounds like the beginning of a movie plot, haha.

Wish it was closer to town though (town in this case being Tokyo). I'd be more willing to jump on it. But going out to Chiba is so far.
Live south of Tokyo, so it's not very close to me.
I hate even going out that way to get to the airport, haha.

Heh

@OP regardless of what you end up doing, your odyssey has inspired a bunch gaming nerds on the internets to heights of fantasy.

You're living the dream, and we thank you for it!

:p

Daaammmmnnn. That sounds so awesome. Also agree it sounds like the beginning of a movie plot, haha.

Wish it was closer to town though (town in this case being Tokyo). I'd be more willing to jump on it. But going out to Chiba is so far.
Live south of Tokyo, so it's not very close to me.
I hate even going out that way to get to the airport, haha.

I'm in Tokyo, too. It's over 90 train ride for me :)

DJIzana

I am forever jealous... what I wouldn't give to have such an amazing collection of some quality Japanese games. Makes me sad how all that's slowly starting to fade as they inch more and more into the mobile market. :(

Muku

I'm in Tokyo, too. It's over 90 train ride for me :)

I'm south though, haha. Like 45 minutes to get into Tokyo just from here. On the coast. Wouldn't trade it for living in Tokyo. (Still feel like I live too close in terms of the crowding, ugh.)

Edit: I can't wait to see the video and stuff though!

I'm south though, haha. Like 45 minutes to get into Tokyo just from here. On the coast. Wouldn't trade it for living in Tokyo. (Still feel like I live too close in terms of the crowding, ugh.)

Edit: I can't wait to see the video and stuff though!

I can understand that. Thanks anyway

Top Bottom