• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I might have stumbled upon a solution for the PS3 overheating issue

I picked up L.A. Noire on Tuesday and started playing and noticed my PS3 went up to fan level 3 after about 30 minutes and right underneath my disc drive was extremely hot (obviously why it bumped up). Fan level 1 comes on when you turn on your PS3 and then after about 5 minutes it moves up to level 2 where it stays for me about 99% of the time I've played over the years.

I had my ethernet cable connected Tuesday night while playing. Wed/Thur while playing L.A. Noire, I was too lazy to plug my ethernet cable in so I was playing offline and I played for 1 hour plus while the fan stayed at level two and under the disc drive wasn't that bad. I wanted to sync my trophies last night so I had my PS3 connected to the internet and after about 30 minutes, it again went to fan level 3 after roughly 30 minutes.

So that's when I noticed my PS3 was going into overdrive when I had my PS3 connected to the internet. I've posted on here before how Uncharted 2 made me do the same thing when I initially played it, but I recently played through it again offline over a couple of days (hours at a time) and my fan level stayed on 2.

This morning I figured I'd give L.A. Noire a try with my PS3 offline and sure enough, played for ~1 hour and it stayed on level 2.

tldr: PS3 gets extremely hot while connected to the internet playing L.A. Noire, normal temperature when not connected. I figure I'd post this on GAF and get some other experiences since this could just be happening with my PS3. But maybe this can help someone else out.

PS3: 80 GB MGS 4 bundle
Internet: Ethernet
Hits fan level 3 on L.A. Noire after roughly 30 minutes.
Normal temperature level while not connected to the internet after 1 hour+ game time.

Ploid 3.0

Wow nice find. Maybe sony has some security stuff running in the background when you're connected to psn to protect the service from hacks?

Ploid 3.0

I have motorstorm 80gig ps3 USA, and have only played MVC3 since psn got up. I haven't noticed faster fan speed but MVC3 isn't much of a demanding game, or it shouldn't be. I always play mvc3 online.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I have motorstorm 80gig ps3 USA, and have only played MVC3 since psn got up. I haven't noticed faster fan speed but MVC3 isn't much of a demanding game, or it shouldn't be. I always play mvc3 online.
It might only be certain games (or maybe even certain systems) and the way they're getting information back and forth. MW2 was never a problem for me playing online, I played for like 4+ hours at a time with no problem. With L.A. Noire and Uncharted 2, they kick into level 3 after 30 minutes. And again, it could possibly be only be my system but that's why I'm hoping for other people to check it out and see. Especially with L.A. Noire.

http://support.rockstargames.com/en...-if-you-are-crashing-or-freezing-in-l-a-noire

was already mentioned by a couple of people before - theory is that game is trying to connect to PSN store even though it's down. Doesn't explain 360 freezing issue.

We are sorry to hear the game is freezing! We have received a few tickets about some isolated crashes / freezes and we are investigating them individually to find out the causes and the resolution.

Here is what to do if you are crashing or freezing in L.A. Noire:

1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. If on 360, clear the 360 cache.

2. Create a new temporary PS3 user to ensure that new save files are created. If on 360, create an offline Silver Gamertag.

3. Launch the game and try again. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN.

4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary.

5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem.

6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software.

7. If your console is overheating, try moving it to a more ventilated area or contact Sony/Microsoft for further console troubleshooting. Also try unplugging the console for 20-30 minutes and then re-installing the game.

Can anyone confirm the same findings using wifi? I have the same 80GB MGS bundle model but don't have LA Noir. Suppose I could test Uncharted 2 and see if I get similar result to him using wifi.

sajj316

Good find if true. It's quite possible the issue is with PSN store connectivity. Playing offline until patched.

mattalos

King of Awesome
Could it be because of the integrated Rockstar community stuff? Constantly uploading/saving your stats and details while playing? Just a guess.

Apath

My ps3, I kid you not, sounds like a jet and is louder than my Jasper 360. Though it's connected to the Internet wirelessly 24/7. When PSN was down I played Red Dead Redemption an noticed no difference.

I'm playing on a BC 60 gb while connected to PSN and the fan seems to jump around. It tends to go to stay on level 3 but will occasionally dip down.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I honestly suggest to those with PS3's that are still BC compatible is to change the thermal paste of your system asap. I replaced mine last summer and have been worry free of ylod (knock on wood). The paste Sony uses dries up after certain amount of years and stops doing a decent job of transferring heat to the heatsink, replace it with some decent stuff and you should be golden.

AwesomeSauce said:
I honestly suggest to those with PS3's that are still BC compatible is to change the thermal paste of your system asap. I replaced mine last summer and have been worry free of ylod (knock on wood). The paste Sony uses dries up after certain amount of years and stops doing a decent job of transferring heat to the heatsink, replace it with some decent stuff and you should be golden.
i heard that doesn't last long. Some people told me two weeks.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
mysticwhip said:
i heard that doesn't last long. Some people told me two weeks.

That's to people repairing the ylod with a heatgun since that fix is only temporary. What i am talking about is changing the paste on a still working system to prevent ever getting the ylod.

mr2xxx

Banned
I have the same PS3 as OP and I had no issues with UC2 with the internet off, haven't played L.A Noir though.

AwesomeSauce said:
I might do that. How much does Sony charge you to fix a YLOD? I'm just weary of voiding my warranty and opening it up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was so hoping his would be another Nyko Intercooler viral marketing thread.

AwesomeSauce said:
That's to people repairing the ylod with a heatgun since that fix is only temporary. What i am talking about is changing the paste on a still working system to prevent ever getting the ylod.
so that method wouldn't work on a ylod'd 60gb?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
mysticwhip said:
so that method wouldn't work on a ylod'd 60gb?

The heatgun fix will get your PS3 working again, but the fix is only temporary. It can vary from 2 weeks to a couple of months.

The thermal paste replacement is recommended on older PS3's including the 60gb if that's what you're asking.

Big Papa Husker said:
I might do that. How much does Sony charge you to fix a YLOD? I'm just weary of voiding my warranty and opening it up.

Sony charges 150$ to fix out of warranty PS3s and if your warranty is up, i think they'll take your PS3 still even without the warranty sticker as long as you pay the 150$. Also opening up the PS3 is very simple(much easier to remove the heatsinks compared to a 360) and if you have any experience working with PCs then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

The PS3's fans will still go up during long gaming sessions, but the reapplied paste should deal with the heat better and prevent damaging the chips causing the ylod.

Guide to take apart 20-80gb PS3s
http://www.llamma.com/PS3/repair/PS3_disassembly_tutorial.htm

Check this out (Don't use acetone like the guy did, just look at how bad the stock paste gets)
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/177850-Removing-thermal-paste-from-PS3-Pics

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shalashaska said:
In a wonderful irony of ironies, my PS3 got the YLOD today. Kinda pisses me off.

Welcome to my world. That'll be $150.

And if you want them to deactivate your console before you send it in, tough shit. Unless you really pester them, then it's an "act of goodwill and one-time only."

Fucking bullshit. Sony has really pissed me off this generation.

TheSeks said:
Welcome to my world. That'll be $150.

And if you want them to deactivate your console before you send it in, tough shit. Unless you really pester them, then it's an "act of goodwill and one-time only."

Fucking bullshit. Sony has really pissed me off this generation.
Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm giving up on the console game. The 360 RROD fiasco and all the Sony stuff has gotten to me (not paying $150 for it to happen again later). Moving to a PC/handheld gamer for the next while.

TheSeks

Shalashaska said:
Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm giving up on the console game. The 360 RROD fiasco and all the Sony stuff has gotten to me (not paying $150 for it to happen again later). Moving to a PC/handheld gamer for the next while.

Nah, man. I'm in a similar boat. If I get a job, anyway.

Fucking sucks not being able to play Battlefield nightly. :/ Also sucks that my job offers that would've gotten me a PC in time for BF3 may have fallen through. Really pisses me off.

Edit: Seriously, though. "One-time only" for what they can basically do in five minutes. And what they could let customers do themselves if they had an "account managment page" for it. :|

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well what do you know, it seems to have done the trick and kept the fan from going crazy. Thanks OP.

Edit: MGS4 80GB

TheSeks said:
Nah, man. I'm in a similar boat. If I get a job, anyway.

Fucking sucks not being able to play Battlefield nightly. :/ Also sucks that my job offers that would've gotten me a PC in time for BF3 may have fallen through. Really pisses me off.

Edit: Seriously, though. "One-time only" for what they can basically do in five minutes. And what they could let customers do themselves if they had an "account managment page" for it. :|
That sucks for you man. I think I'll call up Sony tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind, I've been a big Sony supporter, PS1 owner, PS2 owner (which both still work), PS3 even with their $599 US DOLLARS. And for what? Crappy built system, no surprise there in this generation. With the way consoles are becoming PCified, and ironically PC gaming is becoming consolified, might as well stick with what other stuff instead.

Now comes the fun part of trying to get LA Noire out of my system.

TheSeks

Shalashaska said:
Now comes the fun part of trying to get LA Noire out of my system.

Hold the eject button and then power the system after 30 seconds, apparently that works. But good fucking luck as my Portal 2 disc isn't recognized as being in the system. So that's a forced $150 to get the disc back.

BillO'rlyFuckingThingSucks.gif

TheSeks said:
Hold the eject button and then power the system after 30 seconds, apparently that works. But good fucking luck as my Portal 2 disc isn't recognized as being in the system. So that's a forced $150 to get the disc back.

BillO'rlyFuckingThingSucks.gif
That trick doesn't work for my version of PS3 unfortunately. So I just finishing opening up the PS3 and got my game out, pretty much destroyed my PS3 in the process but oh well. Onwards and upwards, giving that I'm headed to Uni next year, my grades are probably thankful this happened. Check your local area to see who does repairs, I found a place for cheap that I probably should've just went to instead.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shalashaska said:
In a wonderful irony of ironies, my PS3 got the YLOD today. Kinda pisses me off.

I'm so glad I bought a PS3 slim tonight. Replacing my 80 GB MGS4 model too. It's not dead but I just got that feeling, ya know?

The Lamp

Wario64 said:
I'm so glad I bought a PS3 slim tonight. Replacing my 80 GB MGS4 model too. It's not dead but I just got that feeling, ya know?

People rebuying consoles in anticipation of replacing currently-functioning consoles.

I thought I had seen it all.

Wario64 said:

I have that feeling right now. Two years ago my 60 GB launch PS3 died (YLOD) while playing Arkham Asylum when the fans were on level 3 (room was properly ventilated). I was playing LA Noire this weekend and the fans went to level 3. I panicked the fuck out and turned off my PS3 because I don't want the machine to melt AGAIN !

Anyway OP, I tried your tactic and it seems it works for me, while playing offline the fans take way longer to kick into level 3.

But I still can't shake that feeling of impending doom....

The Lamp

AwesomeSauce said:

How can I do this? Is there a certain kind of thermal paste I should use?

I think I have an idea of how to do this with a PC, but with a console I'm clueless.

EDIT: Looks like you answered that. Thanks.

This is why I really really wish Sony would fricking bring back BC for PS2 games. If my PS3 suddenly died, I wouldn't care so much and just get myself a slim PS3.

Since its not, it bothers me knowing I gotta keep my 60 gig around if I want to play my PS2 games.

Man, I must be really lucky with consoles. I've never had a console break down on me - from my launch PS2/PS3 to my old Genesis - everything works great. My family has even left on my 60 GB launch PS3 for up to a week at a time, and it's still going strong. No issues playing LA Noire so far either. Hope I don't jinx this.

Top Bottom