• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

But it's well known that google does this and yet MS doesn't. So...

I mean how many people send data from Dr. Watson for Windows 7 problems? Probably not many and it's a poor way to see what the hell is going on with your OS.

Unless Microsoft has changed their Terms of Service from last year, they still have the right to use personal data from your computer, for advertising purposes. Even if they don't monitise it now, anyone that has clicked on the agreement for their terms of service has given up the rights for them to do so:

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

Sure, I will believe that some of the data that they send back home does offer bug reports and help with the user experience. But I don't believe that is all they are sending back.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know. I think slow adopters, especially slow adopters to things that are free, are just about the worst thing for me as a software developer. It's a security nightmare as older OSs at some point are EOL'd which means any vulnerabilities are left unpatched. It's why I shake my head when I see retail terminals still running XP embedded. It's like no wonder it's so easy for credit fraud. There's tons of malware that target POS terminals running on Windows XP. Upgrade your damn PCs. Well, that is, upgrade your PCs if you want your information secure. All these people paranoid about the collection of anonymous information for advertising purposes yet not realizing, if they stick to their old OS, every keystroke is bound to end up getting logged and sent to a more seedy destination without any kind of process to make that data anonymous. It's just insane to me even though I realize a lot of it is ignorance. People don't quite understand the implication of the choice to not keep up to date when it comes to PCs and smart devices.

This ignores the nightmare of issues that laptop support generally has...no guarantee that the wireless, display, battery...you name it - functions will be working as was in windows 7. There's no guarantee that the manufacturer will properly support win10.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The bitching about W10 is absurd.

Unless you have an ancient device that doesnt have drivers support. W10 is great. Get over it. Its for everyone's benifit that we have one OS. That means easily maintainable, better dev support and more secure.

RyudBoy

No problems with Windows 10 running on my new PC, but it runs like absolute crap on my older computer. Not sure why. I updated to W10 twice now and encountered slow performance both times. Had to revert back to W7.

This concerns me since I simply don't want W10 on my old PC. :/

Oxn

No problems with Windows 10 running on my new PC, but it runs like absolute crap on my older computer. Not sure why. I updated to W10 twice now and encountered slow performance both times. Had to revert back to W7.

This concerns me since I simply don't want W10 on my old PC. :/

Was it a fresh install?

When I converted my Win7 to Win10 its was slow as well. But a fresh install of Win 10 and it was quick.

All the people in here saying "congrats" or "it's great!" are really gross.

Tell me about it. Never before have I seen people get so passive aggressive about others not liking an OS before, particularly one as divisive as 10, it's fairly disgusting.

To the OP, you've still the rollback option but I wouldn't like to guess how much mess that'll make of your OS (lord knows, the update itself does). You should probably bite the bullet and use this chance to go for a fresh re-install of 7. After that it is possible to stop 10 being installed, you just have to make sure a few specific inconspicuous updates are never installed (the KB numbers can be found easily enough), I've done that and don't have any problems continuing to update 7 while avoiding 10.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Not the fucking point.

I agree it is good but issue here is that people aren't given a choice! I updated voluntarily and i'm satisfied with Win 10 but if i hadn't been given choice? I'd be using Linux right now, really.
And no, forcing people to use something is not automatically good.
OP absolutely had a choice. He just didn't realize it because he kept closing the pop-ups without reading them.

Zoolader

Same shit happened to me this week!

My pc has been ready to update to WIndows 10 for like a year now it seems. I was on my pc one minute, then i went outside for a phone call and when I came back it was in the middle of the install.

Woorloog

Banned
OP absolutely had a choice. He just didn't realize it because he kept closing the pop-ups without reading them.

He does say he turned off auto-update.

Now, ignoring pop-ups? Yeah, that's not wise.
But if he did disable auto-update (or the OS gave impression this was the case), there should not be pop-ups or updating in the first place.

A lot of posts in this thread read like ads for Windows 10.

I think it's yet another step down from Microsoft's UI design team but at least it loads Steam fast enough.

But fuck anybody who thinks this sort of upgrade is justified. Even if the upgrade is objectively better, which it isn't, not for everyone. Awful, impossible to defend.

Motherfuckers will not break my Win 7 machine, it has too many games perfectly installed right now.

If they invalidate my Silent Hill 3 mods I'll mail them literal shit in a box.

Upgraded to Win10 a couple of weeks ago, was ok with it, found how to turn off all the 'spy on me please' options, I had no problem with that, was all set to get used to where they moved around everything to, but then I came across windows update - The lack of control about what is installed, when, and when your computer is going to reboot after it's installed updates without first letting you know was the straw that broke the camels back - I did a clean reinstall of Win7 and everything was cosy and nice again. I'm good with Win7 until I get a new PC or until 2020 which ever comes first!

Just reset your PC if you can.

After refreshing about 3 months ago I forgot to untick the update settings, and got upgraded to Windows 10 without OK'ing it. It turned out to be fine for most everything, honestly. Aside from making my audio have some wince to it that hurts my ears.

I reset my laptop last night to try and fix an audio problem (bane of my existence) and it let me reset it to Windows 8.1 that the laptop came with. I did, just to get it where I needed it to be, but I went back to Windows 10 once I got back in. Got the wince back, but at least it's as loud as I want it. Not sure how I fixed it last time.

hlhbk

A lot of posts in this thread read like ads for Windows 10.

I think it's yet another step down from Microsoft's UI design team but at least it loads Steam fast enough.

But fuck anybody who thinks this sort of upgrade is justified. Even if the upgrade is objectively better, which it isn't, not for everyone. Awful, impossible to defend.

How is it impossible to defend? I work in IT and know for a fact that the update notification pops up every few days. It's on the user of the PC to keep track of what is going on. If you don't want updates installed completely turn off the update services in Windows or block the ports you receive updates on. It's in Microsoft's TOS this was going to happen, it's on the user to keep up with what is happening to their PC.

Maximo

Upgraded yesterday and after a hour reverted back too many issues with programs and scaling, bury text, audio problems and chrome issues.

Nosgotham

the OS could give out free handys and im still gonna be pissed if microsoft sneaks that shit in. i chose to turn off all auto updates after hearing this recently but now i wonder if that will be good enough. im content with my current OS, and i would rather not update. really really really shitty business practice

driver116

How is it impossible to defend? I work in IT and know for a fact that the update notification pops up every few days. It's on the user of the PC to keep track of what is going on. If you don't want updates installed completely turn off the update services in Windows or block the ports you receive updates on. It's in Microsoft's TOS this was going to happen, it's on the user to keep up with what is happening to their PC.

The first sentence in the OP says he did?

It's complete and utter bullshit that the user should have to express their choice of not getting a completely overhauled and risky OS upgrade by blocking fucking ports.

If you're in IT then you should know that making people distrust their OS or its updates is a horrible fucking move. Oh sure we promise you're in good hands as long as you comb the TOS and assume the worst at every angle. Fuck that. That's not my idea of a trustworthy computer.

Plus the whole you agree if you close the window bullshit. What a load of crock. Indefensible.

CSJ

It's the way they went about it, this isn't the first time they've put ambiguous prompts in front of computer illiterate people.
Before this they had an option where you'd get the option to "Reserve your spot" or "No, later". Picking the latter literally meant, no not now but actually do it without more prompts later. You should see how many iterations they had of their update window.

I work in IT where I deal with the general public's experience with it and it's has tons of issues, in my opinion the upgrade process is utter shit and barely works because I've had hundreds and hundreds of systems come in that need sorting out because of it.
I don't use it; I will when it matures more and I know as a matter of fact some things I need to use won't work. I can't even bring myself to install it on a separate drive. Same with 7 and 8, I waited a year or two. There's absolutely nothing to lose for me waiting.

You work in IT? Uhuh, doing what? I guess you don't deal with the public at large because you should know better that in this industry in that sector, people aren't good with tech. People who are too afraid to change their ink, or don't even know the difference between windows and ms office.
In the nicest possible way, because so many admit that themselves.

Upgraded yesterday and after a hour reverted back too many issues with programs and scaling, bury text, audio problems and chrome issues.
But it's great! :p

This has reminded me to disable the upgrade on my Intel NUCs that I used as my KODI HTPCs. I tried windows 10 on them but had a myriad of issues with them not detecting the resolution of my TV properly etc. when I switched to different inputs and back, even though they work perfectly under Windows 7.

Shang

My only issue with 10 is that the start bar sometimes doesn't respond, which is a huge pain in the ass. Despite that, it's great

hlhbk

It's complete and utter bullshit that the user should have to express their choice of not getting a completely overhauled and risky OS upgrade by blocking fucking ports.

If you're in IT then you should know that making people distrust their OS or its updates is a horrible fucking move. Oh sure we promise you're in good hands as long as you comb the TOS and assume the worst at every angle. Fuck that. That's not my idea of a trustworthy computer.

Plus the whole you agree if you close the window bullshit. What a load of crock. Indefensible.

Then don't use computers. This shit happens all the time. It's never going to change.

RyudBoy

Was it a fresh install?

When I converted my Win7 to Win10 its was slow as well. But a fresh install of Win 10 and it was quick.

No it wasn't, but I also didn't do a fresh install when I updated my new PC. No issues there.

I suppose I can try a fresh install, but I'd be losing a lot of stuff (programs, codecs) that I'm too lazy to make a list of to re-download.

When the scheme started last year, the message never contained a date or time or any indication that it would install automatically. So what these people are saying is you need to read the message that pops up everytime the computer starts to make sure the message content hasn't changed.
Yep , another argument toward the fact that the message was made that way on purpose. There is trully nothin honest about it or simple.
Alright, in the rare event that Reset This PC doesn't work, and give you a fresh copy of Win10 within 30mins, you can use the Media Create Tool and re-upgrade Win10 on top of itself. That is basically the same as 'resetting the pc', but it seems to sidestep the times when that option isn't working.

If you want to go full blown nuclear then you just pull out your USB Recovery Stick, turn on your device and have it boot from the USB stick, which will install your ass right back to vanilla Win8.0 (using my own device, a Surface Pro 1 originally running win8.0 as an example). You're STILL back to a working Windows installation, in about 30 minutes.

Nothing could be simpler. Don't have to start getting Win7 DVDs out, calling Johnny home from university etc. Once you're up on 10, it gets easier.
You're talking about all those steps , and ignoring the situation where something goes wrong and it's a simple user.. i consider myself ok with this stuff , but 99% of the people i talk to aren't. they'll just say : "recovery what ?" when you'talk to them about the recovery stick and look at you as if you've told them to buy a rocket when you'll mention the media create tool.
The basic user doesn't care , the basic user is fine with the stuff he bought and was using properly. ( True story ) They come at me and say " it was working fine and then it changed .. i'm confused ! help me!"

You have NO IDEA how often i've heard this. it's a nightmare , it's the reason why this forced update sucks. People Don't want to change.

Unless you have an ancient device that doesnt have drivers support. W10 is great. Get over it. Its for everyone's benifit that we have one OS. That means easily maintainable, better dev support and more secure.
"Get over it" ? a ridiculous dismissal ignoring the opposite side argument
" Its for everyone's benifit that we have one OS." Again a sh*t argument that ignore the reality of computers in small and medium companies and a shittier argument ignoring that will of millions of users that aren't intrested.

I think this post is a glorious nonsense.

Then don't use computers. This shit happens all the time. It's never going to change.

Never happened on any PC I have ever used. Every time an OS has offered me an upgrade, I could reliably say no. What kind of OS would't do that?

It's not going to change unless we complain about it and refuse to use Windows 10. And refuse to let people just shrug it off as the status quo when it isn't okay.

hlhbk

Never happened on any PC I have ever used. Every time an OS has offered me an upgrade, I could reliably say no. What kind of OS would't do that?

It's not going to change unless we complain about it and refuse to use Windows 10. And refuse to let people just shrug it off as the status quo when it isn't okay.

You can reliably say no to this upgrade. I have done it 10 times in the last 2 weeks on computers I work on and the upgrade never happened. In the situation like the one outlined in the OP there is always something that either was missed or is being left out.

gngf123

To people saying you can get out of data mining by answering the questions. No you can't, it only turns off some things. Windows telemetry/tracking still runs and sends data back to Microsoft, you need to go through and make registry edits or use a tool like Anti-beacon to turn it off entirely.

As for the operating system itself. The start menu is a mess and is only getting worse in the anniversary update, but at least you can switch it out with a replacement menu. Cortana is pointless as well. Everywhere else it's actually pretty nice to use and a step up from Windows 8.

How Microsoft are employing malware tactics to get people to upgrade is fucking disgusting though, and I'm amazed there are people defending them.

Jinkies

Can OP post a status update and let us know they're OK??

It's a horrible tragedy when software changes after years of being outdated.

Boy, we've reached new heights in terms of ridiculous comments. "You don't like a company taking away control you have over your computer? Stop using computers".

Giving users total control lead to the awful situation we had in the late 90s and 00s. Outdated software that couldn't run anything developers were trying to make, and not to mention security holes abounds.

Users should have as little control as is sane, at least by default.

What timing. Mine did, too.

I'm not against it as an OS, I just don't appreciate it upgrading without my permission. I've been declining ever since the popups started showing up, but I guess after a certain number of times it's taken for granted I was just kidding.

Boy, we've reached new heights in terms of ridiculous comments. "You don't like a company taking away control you have over your computer? Stop using computers".

It's just another permutation of "everybody is equally bad" dodge of criticism. For one, no, you're wrong. For two, that doesn't address any of my complaints. It's a lazy comment.

If he did he wouldn't have gotten the update.

Well it did give me an update despite it being off. My PC has never automatically updated unless I did it manually until now. Also I'm the only person who uses this computer and no one would have switched it to automatically. So please don't try to insinuate that I don't know what I'm doing or I don't know what I'm talking about.

I may not be very tech savvy but I do know a lot more than the average PC user.

I'd probably upgrade to windows 10 but from what I've seen there are quite a few games that don't work. I have a lot of disc-based games so i don't want to completely lose the ability to play them.

If this is true and it still does it despite you turning the updates off, they're trying far too hard to get people to upgrade.

gngf123

I'd probably upgrade to windows 10 but from what I've seen there are quite a few games that don't work. I have a lot of disc-based games so i don't want to completely lose the ability to play them.

If this is true and it still does it despite you turning the updates off, they're trying far too hard to get people to upgrade.

I'd be interested to know which games. Things tend to break with every Windows release but so far I've not had any problems with games.

If I don't want it then I don't want it. If I wanted W10 I'd have upgraded long ago, so stop acting like I should just shut up and comply, I don't fucking want to change my OS.

Consider yourself lucky.

It took me all day to update. Including having to go through that annoying "Something went wrong" error message repeatedly.

I wish I could of just woken up to it fully complete.

ResoRai

I'm a bit confused at the bold. Closing the window doesn't mean you agree or disagree, it just closes the window.
You mean the way it auto-schedules the user to update right?

So... your argument is that your imaginary claim that this is how it's always been Trump's reality? Please, explain how deceitfully forcing an OS install on a personal computer happens all the time... or has ANY precedence for that matter.

Second question, do you happen to work for or are you affiliated with Microsoft? I'm curious.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they really liked the free U2 album iTunes gave them.

You know what I really love, free diarrhea with an extra helping of unprocessed corn injected directly into my ear drums...thanks Bono, thanks apple...

7qWfUu8.jpg

bman94

Fuck that noise. My laptop has enough problems as it is running Windows 7, upgrading to Windows 10 isn't going to help me out. It's complete bullshit that Microsoft is forcing the update to those who don't want it.

Top Bottom