• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So My Boss Calls me..... (Phoenix GAF, FALL IN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
You mention daughter just once in your OP, and I find that very sad :(

She should be your biggest concern.

Are the schools in Phoenix better or worse? If you and your wife do separate, will she get to see her dad?

These are the questions you should be asking yourself.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Pinetop, up in the White Mountains, is one of my favorite places (Charlie Clark's has THE best prime rib in the state). Greer is a cute little town. Tucson is nice, Sierra Vista is a nice quiet little place. Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, etc. etc.
Haha, that's funny. Sierra vista is so incredibly boring. You have to leave to do anything.

Lol, Tucson is like Phoenix light and sierra vista is a commuter town; unless of course you're comparing Tucson and Sierra Vista to Mesa or something.
Sierra Vista is an Army town. There's no place you could commute to or from Sierra Vista, except maybe Douglas, but that's a crazy commute.

HoTHiTTeR

My DR colo is in Phoenix (downtown). I absolutely love it there, what an amazing sprawling oasis. If you could live near Scottsdale, that's prime. Tempe is great too. Hotter than shit, but 8.5 months a year, it's fantastic. Best of luck.

Just moved to Phoenix a month ago. So far my experience has been very positive. I like it here a lot. The good: It's very affordable, the traffic is very manageable, the people are super friendly, there are no natural disasters (except monsoons) and the food/beer culture is fantastic. If you like film, art, sports, music, you'll be fine. Parks everywhere and no tolls in this state. Hiking, bicycling, Golf, and Yoga are huge here. Also Arizona doesn't recognize daylight savings so none of that commuting time changes either. Also, medical marijuana, with a possibility of full legalization in 2016.

Now the bad: Yes, the heat is fucked up for 4 months. Like lethally fucked up. It was 119 Thursday afternoon. You will spend the summer indoors most of the day (8am-7pm). I came from Miami so it's wasn't too bad of an adjustment for me, but OP is from Wisconsin so it's something you really have to think about. There's a bad dust problem too, so if you have allergies, stay away this time of year. Where I live(Tempe) there's a problem with meth heads everywhere and I hear it's the same in Mesa, but i haven't gone out to Mesa yet. The last issue is Gun Culture. You have to be accepting of that culture here. People walk around with unconcealed weapons all the time.

The last few weeks I've spent a lot of time in pools, cause they are everywhere here, so that another plus for me. There's also kick ass water parks. And none of this is even talking about the rest of the state of Arizona, which has the most variety of gorgeous natural land Of all the U.S. States.

Boss Mog

If you do go just be aware of the extreme heat. It's 110+ everyday right now in Phoenix which means basically you can't do anything outside during the day except early in the morning. Be aware that your electric bill and gas costs for your car will go up due to A/C use.

I am in Phoenix. The weather is... for lack of a better description HOT AS FUCK.

But it is a dry heat. No humidity and with that it is survivable. All this week it has been over 110.

I am a single dad, recently divorced sounds kinda the same no compromise. All I can tell you is my daughter is everything to me and after the divorce I had an amazing opportunity to move to Japan for what I do. I had to turn it down to be able to see my daughter each week. It was a really hard decision but I think I made the right one.

You sound like a great dad, shes lucky :)

sahest

Banned
I've had somebody tell me all my life that God is real, praying every night, church on sundays, etc etc. When it first started hitting me, it was small. Then you really start to ask questions. You talk to friends who are having or had the same issue. Suddenly the implications, consequences, questions, etc. All of it is in turmoil. People tell me that it's very freeing once it's done though, either way.

What implications? Does it really matter if there is a God or not? Let's say that God does not exist, does it change anything in your life? Should you not be a kind and gentle person, and do good deeds, no matter if you are awarded with eternal salvation or not?

Boss★Moogle;169258113 said:
If you do go just be aware of the extreme heat. It's 110+ everyday right now in Phoenix which means basically you can't do anything outside during the day except early in the morning.
this is stretching the truth a fair bit. you can easily "do anything" outside during the day in this weather. maybe it's not advisable to hike a mountain, play contact sports, or stay in direct sunlight without protection for extended periods of time, but it's not like you're forced indoors by the temperature or unable to conduct general day-to-day business.

We should have a PhoenixGAF meet up.
i keep meaning to try and organize one, but i never get around to it. we have monthly Extra Life Guild meet-ups at Endgame in Tempe, that's a pretty cool space.

I keep hearing that a barcade is opening in Downtown this summer. Is that true?

supposedly it did at the end of April (Cobra Arcade Bar), but i haven't heard or seen anything about it since then. the other barcade (King Bar) in Scottsdale apparently closed a few weeks ago, but I never heard anything good about it.

Endgame has two important things going for it: the games are well kept and the people who work there aren't complete shits.

Kientin

Surprise, AZ here. I'm dying of heat. Help!

Moved from Idaho 3 years ago and while it does get super hot, it's survivable. I do miss the four seasons though. Can't comment on how it is actually living in Phoenix.

HariKari

I keep hearing that a barcade is opening in Downtown this summer. Is that true?

There's one on mill in Tempe for anyone interested

http://endgamebar.com/

Boss★Moogle;169258113 said:
If you do go just be aware of the extreme heat. It's 110+ everyday right now in Phoenix which means basically you can't do anything outside during the day except early in the morning. Be aware that your electric bill and gas costs for your car will go up due to A/C use.

I've done yardwork in the summer and worked at a garage with no air conditioning. As long as you have water and shade, it's not bad. If you're just going from your car to a mall or the movies or whatever, it's not a big deal... until you go to get in your car.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am sorry if this has been answered, but are you going to be paid more? If you do get a divorce, is your wife staying in Wisconsin with your child? Are you really ready for a complete change in lifestyle?

norinrad

What are the chances of you getting 100% custody of your daughter after the divorce? If the writing is on the wall that the wife is going to get her, then its time to try and fix the relationship before you move.

Also get a lady lawyer, never use a male lawyer, you'd get screwed. So far every guy i have ever advised to use a lady lawyer during divorce has come out swinging and relieved, plus they get to be active in their kids life which is the most important thing here. Not the job not the wife, its all about your daughter. Do the right thing for her well being.

Badgerst3

This is really simple, do what is best for your daughter.

If it is your preferred choice or not...
If that includes the promotion and move or not..,
If that excludes your current wife or includes her...

We have one legacy, our children. Act in their best interest.

If you do decide to come to PHX, start a new thread and we'll give you all the details. I love it here.

Well said.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Phoenix resident here. I've lived here all my life, so I can't really compare it to anywhere else. The heat sucks major ass. But November-April here is fucking amazing. If you're into hiking we have a lot of good spots to hike around the valley.

Apt101

I'd love to live in Phoenix. I was offered a job in Northern Virginia. I turned it down. Why move farther North in Virginia, away from the beach, where it's more expensive to live? But Phoenix sounds great.

If you don't except it you will forever thing about what if.
Seriously more pay, promotion etc.

And not to the middle of nowhere a good city.

Would take it in a hart beat.

Nephtis

I'm down in Tucson, but I would totally come

Me too! Whether OP moves to Phoenix or not we should all still make an effort to have a GAF meetup.

I'd be willing to give Tucson people a ride up to phx if anyone has issues with transportation. I'm not a terrible driver, promise :)

oneils

That's a big one. And if we do divorce, people are still telling me I should go.

I can just see the conversation 15 years from now with my daughter, having to explain it all, and hoping she doesn't hate me for it.

I live in Wisconsin. It's basically 5 months of Winter. So leaving that seems to be the biggest awesome thing.

Just how hot does it get down there?

If you divorce, and you can't bring your daughter with you - then you should stick around for sure. Fight for equal parenting time. Good luck.

If you don't divorce and the family is on board, then maybe go for it. However, the way you talk about your marriage you should ask yourself if the marriage could survive the move.

NewGame

Banned
First off, congratulations on opening your private life to public discussion. Mind you, I remember watching a video you posted on tha 'tubes wherein you housed the partner of a friend of yours who was abusing her by slamming her fingers in doors/hitting her and it was a real mess etc but you said that they were just going through 'a phase' and that it wasn't a 'big deal' and it was just something they had to 'get over' and that the problem between them was actually caused by a third party evil overlord who had the power to cause one person to become manically abusive to another. Or at least that's what I gathered from the video.

I can't currently find the video but according to my watch history the video was taken down. I'm not too sure why but I am assuming this event had some bearing on your own interaction with your spouse/religious views (I recall you said she stayed with you, did well with your daughter, helped around the house etc) and that work was a great escape from the noise which helped you to set your mind on something completely unrelated but this is purely conjecture on my part which I assumed by how you sipped a cup of tea while smirking at a laptop camera relating your experiences as a mediator between two people going through their own relationship issues.

I'm assuming that when you buzz off to another state you will be leaving your daughter with your wife or whatever because if you're on the brink of divorce you might not be ready to go on a fun youthful adventure where you and your significant other bound through the grassy hills of discovery in the prime of your married life. I mean why would she go with you;

Sex life has gone from 4-5 times a week on average to about once bi-weekly.

She's been on some strange downward decline, and I've been ever evolving and improving. I'm almost a completely difference person since we got together, all improvements.

Sounds like you have really blossomed into a perfect amazing person and she just feels far too beneath you to even touch you anymore. :(

Good luck with your stuff! I hope your daughter gets the best outcome in all this.

Cryxo93

Banned
Your kid is important. First and foremost. Not being there for your child who you and your partner brought into the world would be irresponsible and selfish. You two may get divorced but the kid comes first regardless IMO.

legacyzero

Banned
You mention daughter just once in your OP, and I find that very sad :(

She should be your biggest concern.

Are the schools in Phoenix better or worse? If you and your wife do separate, will she get to see her dad?

These are the questions you should be asking yourself.
My child IS my main concern. It's implied.

I am sorry if this has been answered, but are you going to be paid more? If you do get a divorce, is your wife staying in Wisconsin with your child? Are you really ready for a complete change in lifestyle?
He did discuss the opportunity of promotion, yes. Although we didnt go over details. He basically asked to consider it. If divorce is involved, yes, 100 percent, shes staying here.

As for being ready, im always ready. Ive done it before. But ive always been at rock bottom when I did. So it was necessary.

legacyzero

Banned
First off, congratulations on opening your private life to public discussion. Mind you, I remember watching a video you posted on tha 'tubes wherein you housed the partner of a friend of yours who was abusing her by slamming her fingers in doors/hitting her and it was a real mess etc but you said that they were just going through 'a phase' and that it wasn't a 'big deal' and it was just something they had to 'get over' and that the problem between them was actually caused by a third party evil overlord who had the power to cause one person to become manically abusive to another. Or at least that's what I gathered from the video.

I can't currently find the video but according to my watch history the video was taken down. I'm not too sure why but I am assuming this event had some bearing on your own interaction with your spouse/religious views (I recall you said she stayed with you, did well with your daughter, helped around the house etc) and that work was a great escape from the noise which helped you to set your mind on something completely unrelated but this is purely conjecture on my part which I assumed by how you sipped a cup of tea while smirking at a laptop camera relating your experiences as a mediator between two people going through their own relationship issues.

I'm assuming that when you buzz off to another state you will be leaving your daughter with your wife or whatever because if you're on the brink of divorce you might not be ready to go on a fun youthful adventure where you and your significant other bound through the grassy hills of discovery in the prime of your married life. I mean why would she go with you;

Sounds like you have really blossomed into a perfect amazing person and she just feels far too beneath you to even touch you anymore. :(

Good luck with your stuff! I hope your daughter gets the best outcome in all this.
Wow. Im not even going to dignify this with a response.

Also, what the fuck does that have to do with the topic? Sounds like youre in here to start shit. Sorry, Im not biting.

Don't do it. You need to be sure that is what you want before bringing such changes in your life or else you will regret it. And you don't want that.

GTI Guy

I say make your decision based upon your family, whatever makes sense for your family is the most important thing to consider IMHO.

legacyzero

Banned
I say make your decision based upon your family, whatever makes sense for your family is the most important thing to consider IMHO.
I think thats the biggest thing. Im not sure if this kind of thing is beneficial to a couple. Shaking things up.

At the end of the day you need to be happy but your child and her happiness is the most important thing.

Oh and AZ GAF meet up should happen.

lem0n

At the end of the day you need to be happy but your child and her happiness is the most important thing.

Oh and AZ GAF meet up should happen.

I have always thought of making an AZ GAF thread, for meetups etc. Dave N Busters or something could be super cool!

If she's been a stay at home mom for years and hasn't done much for herself while you worked then I could see that causing a rift. Does she have hobbies or things that keep her busy and engaged beyond just being your wife and a mother? Have you examined that as a part of the cracks in your relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom