• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Polygon 'playing' Doom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

BXoHRVF.gif

This has been somewhat discussed but ive been knocked out sick in bed the last couple days and without really meaning to just be.. mean to any journalist in particular or something.. what the fuck is that video?

is this who's reviewing the game?

first 30 min video: https://youtu.be/9yYp8ZeQ-I8

sorry if its been discussed at length but I didnt find a thread. close if you dont think its deserving of one or just mean spirited but it really calls attention to both who handles the coverage of games on these sites and also the non-surprising state of shooters today

yeah that's about all the journalist I could meet playing like this, and way before the video talk show where they had to talk and play (that is actually hard)

Look, I'm not expect game reviewers to be awesome at every game they play, but jeez. That clip looks like the first time the person ever picked up a game controller.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Honestly, I don't understand why there aren't gameplay showcase standards. I would never feel comfortable uploading that video knowing how poorly it shows off the game.

Salsa

So there needs to be a skill threshold for reviews?

I mean, a threshold for holding a controller on an FPS definetly

if you're gonna talk about a game's difficulty for example?

like I said it raises an interesting question cause one never gives it much thought just by assuming no one is THIS incompetent

This is frankly embarrassing. I sure hope this guy doesn't review the game. His experience is clearly not going to be representative of mine.

The player seems to be rarely moving both sticks at the same time, like they aren't familiar with FPS controls at all.

It definitely looks weird. I don't know why they chose this player or uploaded footage like this.

The blur is awful.
For what it's worth, the PC version lets you turn off the motion blur, the depth-of-field blur, the film grain, the chromatic aberration... if there's a graphical effect present that's bugging you, there's probably a way to nix it, right in the options menu.

Dunno how much of that carried over to the console versions, though.

G_Berry

Banned
It's just so painful to watch. Just think, this person is paid to review games. That's like me being paid money to review bridal gowns or some shit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To be perfectly fair, I can understand the imps being a bit of pain for controller users. They do move around a lot, and speedily. Players familiar with arena shooters (oh, how many hours I lost to ztn3tourney1), may feel compelled to chuckle, but it's not every day that you see an FPS on consoles that sees the AI make an effort to dodge the player rather than rush it.

I feel like this isn't really anything Polygon specific though. For some reason so many sites tend to get people who - to put it bluntly - just don't seem to be too hot at games. And obviously as GAF is an enthusiast community with people who play some games for literally hundreds of hours, it can seem like people are utterly dreadful when this is quite reflective of a lot of people IRL.

But it does bum me out because you get situations like Mirror's Edge Catalyst, where early previews were giving some people haemorrhoids because the gameplay looked dreadful and then people actually played the beta and found that it was just people playing the game badly in preview footage.

ScipiosDefence

Neo Member
Maybe they are playing it one handed whilst writing the review with the other?

The deadlines for this game must have pretty harsh!

Fantomas

For what it's worth, the PC version lets you turn off the motion blur, the depth-of-field blur, the film grain, the chromatic aberration... if there's a graphical effect present that's bugging you, there's probably a way to nix it, right in the options menu.

Dunno how much of that carried over to the console versions, though.

There are 3 motion blur settings and you can turn it off, as well as a chromatic aberration toggle and an fov slider on consoles.

Servbot24

Banned
What the fuck is this? ;/

People like should not be allowed to play non-COD shooters.

People should be allowed and encouraged to play whatever they want. They should also review whatever they want. I want reviews from total novices as well as pros. The whole point of reviews is to get a wide variety of perspectives on a game. Gamers should not be so obsessed with forming a critical narrative about a game.

Blobbers

That gif looks like me playing an FPS /TPS on console for the first time without aim assist.

I kinda see what's happening, cause it happens to me every time until I get used to it. He doesn't want to move the crosshair because it just flies around without aim assist so sometimes you just freeze shooting hoping the enemy will come back into your line of fire. It's messy. Very messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom