• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Starfield will be GOTY, right?

Will starfield be GOTY

• Total voters

AJUMP23

One world vs a living breathing galaxy where everything has a cause and effect, what you think?
Calm down you are overhyped.

I don't think that describe either game very well. Cause and effect is an appearance not reality. I am going to play both, but I doubt the voters will pick Starfield over TOTK.

AJUMP23

1 planet vs a 1000 planets, what you think? 🤣
It isn't about size, but fun. Zelda is amazingly fun, and there are fun things around every corner. I am looking forward to Starfield, but I don't know if I will have fun yet. Wait until you play it to decide. Zelda's story is also amazing. I want to see what Starfield has for story. Both seem to revolve around ancient technology.

StueyDuck

nothing personally on that list or that I know of coming out is speaking to me as GOTY "best game ever"(I really hope FFXVI is incredible but I wouldn't bet on it, even though it's probably the only AAA game I'm madly hyped on). However if I had to choose from that list and choose purely on speculation I would choose Starfield for sure (I'd really have to play it first).

but if I had to guess public choice, whether better or worse than TotK, Starfield will still lose out to it at the end of the day, the fandom is rabid for TotK and I don't think Bethesda has enough good will after so many stinkers to overtake that fandom.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You have this as a ship.
Starfield-ship-building-mech.png

That's GoTY material right there.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I had previously said that Zelda TotK is the best game ever made. I think Starfield could dethrone it. I hope so.
Video doesn't show the jank and there will be lotsa

I predicts low 90's and TOTK to win GOTY buuuuuuuuuut this may be one of the best games of the gen anyways

Solarstrike

Gold Member
What kind of vote is this, man. Did I wake up in some alternate universe. I mean this world has gone to hell in a hand basket it is truly the end times 100%

1 planet vs a 1000 planets, what you think? 🤣

Imagine if someone made a game that had millions of planets you could explore an resource gather on forever and forever. Wouldn't that be GOTY every year forever and gamers would love it for all eternity? Right...

Point being, just because there's a wide expanse doesn't mean there's a lot to do, or that any of what there is to do is engaging or interesting. Starfield looks awesome and ambitious, but so do many games that end up not quite delivering. There's reason to be excited of course, but no one will know for sure until it's in their hands.

Fuz

Banned
You can fly a literal Godzilla shaped ship. I mean, what more could you POSSIBLY need?

Joking aside, it's no surprise people are excited. Starfield is looking as if No Man's Sky, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen had a child. And anyone that has even a passing interest in science fiction/space exploration games (that includes me, obviously) has always dreamed of something like what they propose. A ton of systems to visit and stories to accompany you on your journey. We will have to see if it's as good as it looks, but they've definitely shown enough (imo) to pick people's attention.
I'm jaded.
Hey, if they really deliver on all those promises I'll be happy as fuck too!
But I have my doubt they're gonna achieve all that and I'm not gonna believe words of advertising and vertical slices.

daveonezero

Banned
Imagine if someone made a game that had millions of planets you could explore an resource gather on forever and forever. Wouldn't that be GOTY every year forever and gamers would love it for all eternity? Right...

Point being, just because there's a wide expanse doesn't mean there's a lot to do, or that any of what there is to do is engaging or interesting. Starfield looks awesome and ambitious, but so do many games that end up not quite delivering. There's reason to be excited of course, but no one will know for sure until it's in their hands.
Yes. Honestly it looks like all their other games. Just a different setting.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Before the Starfield Direct I would have said, no way, it's going to come down to TOTK or Diablo 4. But now ... yeah I could imagine it having a very good chance to win if it turns out as good as what we saw. I just think that Zelda carries a hype all its own and will be very very difficult to overcome. It may end up Zelda, Starfield and Diablo in that order.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think there will be a clear consensus. Starfield and TotK will both take home various GotY awards from different places.

johnjohn

Absolutely, and I'm surprised to see people saying it will be TOTK. TOTK is a great game, but at the end of the day, it's an iterative sequel that feels very samey.

Starfield is a once-in-a-generation type game, and the showcase left people saying "How is this even possible?". The scope of the game is something that has never been seen before, if it launches without serious game-breaking bugs it's not going to really have any competition.

feynoob

Gold Member
Step aside boys, Kojima is on board.

I've always wanted to create a full-fledged space story someday. I'm a "space geek" and a "SF geek". For that reason, I'm paying a lot of attention to "Starfield".

Rykan

Absolutely, and I'm surprised to see people saying it will be TOTK. TOTK is a great game, but at the end of the day, it's an iterative sequel that feels very samey.

Starfield is a once-in-a-generation type game, and the showcase left people saying "How is this even possible?". The scope of the game is something that has never been seen before, if it launches without serious game-breaking bugs it's not going to really have any competition.
You're comparing a game that is already released to a marketing campaign.

Starfield's demonstration shows a bunch of different systems and mechanics, but won't go in depth in any of them. It just gives you a glimpse and lets your imagination of what the game could be fill in the blanks. The game that you imagine Starfield to be is probably going to look be very different from what the actual game will be like.

Last edited:
There clearly seems to be enough fatigue against western, open world, cinematic, narrative driven games from critics that it's highly unlikely for Starfield to beat out TotK for GotY. Or really anything else even. Not to say a few won't perhaps toss a few it's way - maybe.

It's probably not where my vote would be but fucking hell what a glorious bloodbath of a gaming year it'll be getting there.

feynoob

Gold Member

Starfield's demonstration shows a bunch of different systems and mechanics, but won't go in depth in any of them. It just gives you a glimpse and lets your imagination of what the game could be fill in the blanks. The game that you imagine Starfield to be is probably going to look be very different from what the actual game will be like.
This is way different than what the showcase is about.
The foundation was laid to you by the showcase. Its why people are highly praising it.

feynoob

Gold Member
There clearly seems to be enough fatigue against western, open world, cinematic, narrative driven games from critics that it's highly unlikely for Starfield to beat out TotK for GotY. Or really anything else even. Not to say a few won't perhaps toss a few it's way - maybe.

It's probably not where my vote would be but fucking hell what a glorious bloodbath of a gaming year it'll be getting there.
Starfield strength is space this time, unlike other open world games. Its untapped territory. No man sky barely scratched the surface of this world. Starfield is going to expand it.

johnjohn

They just did a 45 min walkthrough where they went pretty in-depth with the main systems in the game, and somehow there still seems to be more with the hint of space magic at the end. I think we have a pretty good idea of what Starfield is going to offer, and there's still a bunch of secrets that we'll get to uncover for ourselves.

I'm not sure how anyone could be left wondering what the game is after that showcase.

Last edited:

Rykan

They just did a 45 min walkthrough where they went pretty in-depth with the main systems in the game, and somehow there still seems to be more with the hint of space magic at the end. I think we have a pretty good idea of what Starfield is going to offer, and there's still a bunch of secrets that we'll get to uncover for ourselves.

I'm not sure how anyone could be left wondering what the game is after that showcase.
I don't agree that they went in – depth in that demonstration. They showed glimpses of mechanics, but didn't really go in depth into anything.

It's not even a 45 minute walkthrough, really. It's not like it was “okay, let's sit down and show what it's like to play Starfield for 45 minutes”. It was a carefully assembled video that shows glimpses of different mechanics, and at no point does the video show what it's like when it all comes together.

We saw glimpses of combat, character progression, dialogue and quests/missions. But none of was really explored in depth. They went deeper into ship customization and space combat, but that's just one aspect of the game.

That's not to say that the demonstration is bad, mind you! Quite the opposite: It's one of the best showcases/demonstration or trailers I've seen. But that doesn't take away that it is a very selectively montage showcase of what the game is, and it's probably worth to keep in mind that Bethesda tends to overhype and overstate features of their games.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I don't agree that they went in – depth in that demonstration. They showed glimpses of mechanics, but didn't really go in depth into anything.

It's not even a 45 minute walkthrough, really. It's not like it was “okay, let's sit down and show what it's like to play Starfield for 45 minutes”. It was a carefully assembled video that shows glimpses of different mechanics, and at no point does the video show what it's like when it all comes together.

We saw glimpses of combat, character progression, dialogue and quests/missions. But none of was really explored in depth. They went deeper into ship customization and space combat, but that's just one aspect of the game.

That's not to say that the demonstration is bad, mind you! Quite the opposite: It's one of the best showcases/demonstration or trailers I've seen. But that doesn't take away that it is a very selectively montage showcase of what the game is, and it's probably worth to keep in mind that Bethesda tends to overhype and overstate features of their games.
What you are suggesting would take at least 3 hours to do.

Banned
it will be between Zelda and Starfield, but I just see no way anything will release that will be an actual competition to Zelda

Starfield strength is space this time, unlike other open world games. Its untapped territory. No man sky barely scratched the surface of this world. Starfield is going to expand it.
It's certainly ambitious in it's scope but it really does come down to it's execution. I don't doubt the handcrafted stuff will be great, it's the procedural generated things that concern me. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Good luck taking that from zelda.. and i dont even like this new zelda games ... in the end who freaking cares.. this awards means absolutely nothing nowdays ... just hope the game is really good so I can play it in the xbox pro or advanced or whatever is called

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
It's certainly ambitious in it's scope but it really does come down to it's execution. I don't doubt the handcrafted stuff will be great, it's the procedural generated things that concern me. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it.
It depends on how they do it.
When you are in space, unexpected procedural can enhances your experience.
It would have been shit in a setting like Skyrim, but space is different. You are alone there.

Justin9mm

Well after watching the deep dive, if the game really does live up to what they presented then yes. But I think there was a lot of over exaggerated hype in there. Graphically looks amazing, the game is obscenely ambitious and deep. It's all about execution of all those gameplay elements. It looks crazy good overall but who knows at this point.

Last edited:

Madflavor

GOTY - Zelda
Best Action/Adventure - FFXVI
Best Game Direction - Zelda
Best Action Game - Armored Core
Best Narrative - FFXVI
Best RPG - Starfield
Best Performance - FFXVI
Best Soundtrack - FFXVI

These are my predictions for the big awards at TGA 2023. Cap it.

Zelda TotK will win GotY, FFXVI will walk away with the most awards, Starfield will win Best RPG.

Top Bottom