• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So there's a HL3 reference in DOTA 2 UGC Tools

Sigh*

I just...at this point, even though the original Half-Life is my favorite FPS of all time, I'm just over waiting for HL3. I don't even know that I trust Valve as a developer anymore. They seem more interested in F2P games and Steam than actually releasing games like they used to. I just think HL3 is dead to me.

Interfectum

Well, in an earlier thread he was theorizing they might want to morph it into something that fits their current vision and trends: GaaS, Destiny, L4D etc stuff and that's why the delay and non-talk

I said I'd rather have them not wanting to work on it than that

Neither should be appealing to HL fans, but what can we do lol

I don't think Valve is interested in investing years into a game that people will beat over a long weekend. What seems to make their employees excited are games they can iterate on over a long period of time with their consumers (dota, tf, cs, l4d). I'm betting if/when HL3 comes out it will most likely have a big online component to it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
No no, thats just Hat Launcher 3, a new Physics mini-game to show off Source 2's Physics Enigine. Your objective is to make trick shots and land hats onto TF2 characters.

I don't think Valve is interested in investing years into a game that people will beat over a long weekend. What seems to make their employees excited are games they can iterate on over a long period of time with their consumers (dota, tf, cs, l4d). I'm betting if/when HL3 comes out it will most likely have a big online component to it.

Yes, I said it on other threads before. Constant, big concurrent users and constant revenue stream is their priority. HL3 might have a multi-million selling day 1 launch, but majority will drop it after a weekend.

Still, I don't want them to morph it to something that's not.

scitek

I think if they'd be into the idea of a single-player experience, it'd be with a heavy focus on VR.

Mikey Jr.

I just keep waiting for this magical source 2 to be released. My hope is that valve creates hl3 to show the engine off.

It's the only hope that I can hang onto.

I think if they'd be into the idea of a single-player experience, it'd be with a heavy focus on VR.

Yeah I was just thinking that after I posted. If anything gets them back into world building SP experiences, it will be VR.

Finally - and I guess you get that question a lot - I wanted to ask about the title that everyone is waiting for and that lends itself perfectly for a VR adaption, due to its way of storytelling, the open world as well as the puzzle elements: Ricochet 2. Did the long development time have anything to do with evolving technologies such as Virtual Reality? Are you planning to bring full VR support to future titles, such as Ricochet 2?

Gabe said:
We aren't holding any game until VR is shipping. You don't want to create that kind of dependency.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1zkfmv/wearea_videogame_developer_aua/cfufwky?context=3

Half-Life 3 will happen. When it does, it will be great. They're going for the same wow factor HL2 had. So we have a crazy long development time, the game will probably be really long, and people will still bitch that it shouldn't have taken so long.

With that last bit, I agree. Valve outright stated their plans for the episodic content and abandoned said plans on a flucking cliff-hanger. HL3 is not vaporware because technically it was never officially announced. However, we've had many "confirmations" that the game is being made over the last few years. When the game does release it'll be a big deal. It'll probably release alongside Source 2 (L4D3 will probably beat it to the punch though).

In summary, this game isn't dead. I just firmly believe Valve wants to create something huge once more. The game will release when it's ready.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Yeah Half Life 3 or "episode 3" even worst, suppose coming on Christmas 2007. Same year (2007) TLG and BG&E2 just starting development.

And yet HL3 is probably the only one that will see the light of day anytime "soon".

tensuke

I mean we knew it was being worked on...in some capacity...slowly...we just didn't have any idea of the progress or when it might be announced/released.

SteveTR

What? A random mention of Half-Life 3 in the code of a game made by Valve, which is known for inserting easter eggs everywhere?

I'm indifferent

dwells

Can someone who's a Valve fan please explain what the deal is with them being so secretive and not talking about Half-Life? I was never like crazy about the series, but I bought and enjoyed all of them. When I finished Half-Life 2 Episode 2, I was expecting another one since, you know, they announced a trilogy.

It seems kind of weird and disrespectful to the fans to announce a trilogy of a loved franchise, end on a cliffhanger after two entries, then refuse to comment on or acknowledge any future installments.

Sh1ner

3 letters in one line of code and that means we need a thread to how hl3 is happening.

Just leave it fucking be. Its been so many years now. We have had a huge tsunami/fukishimi reactor incident, the rise of tesla/spacex, Snowden controversy, Obama's second term, the GOP going super fucking nuts instead of their regular brand of nutty shit... the Iraq war has ended (none of these dates were checked) and more since hl2 episode 2

LET IT FUCKING GO PEOPLE then come join me to play league of legends... :]

giphy.gif

It hurts me to see you like this guys.

Starviper

I'm honestly kind of angry that we haven't gotten anything real on half-life 3 in so long now, that was my favorite series at the time and they left it all at such a cliffhanger moment..

Xpliskin

So there's a HL3 build that runs on source 2.

I don't know if they remove the real meat in those dota2 tools, because src2 is barely state of the art.
UE4 already has more features.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So there's a HL3 build that runs on source 2.

I don't know if they remove the real meat in those dota2 tools, because src2 is barely state of the art.
UE4 already has more features.
Do we even know the complete feature set of Source 2.0 yet?

You have to imagine that valve must grep all of their code for any references to "hl3" or "half-life3" or anything like that... and just make sure they're not in there. Because every line is poured over as soon as it's available.

There have been constant references like this throughout the years. It's been pretty obvious that Valve have been working on Source 2 and HL3 for a long time.

Piers

Will end up like Duke Nukem Forever.
Just leave the game dead imo. There's too high expectations for it to realistically meet, and too many big-budget single-player FPS to try and top.

I don't think there are people who doubt something called Haflf-Life 3 exists. They just doubt if it will ever come out.

Think of it like The Last Guardian or Beyond Good & Evil 2.

The one thing I can't get over is that the end of the HL2 episodes was one of the greatest cliff hangers ever in gaming and yet...it has not been answered?

Nzyme32

Totally normal. There have been references for a while dotted around in things like Source Movie Maker too. Doesn't mean HL3 is coming any sooner.

L4D3 though..... :p

Top Bottom