• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

WonderzL

Banned
I think it looks great for what we are paying it for. $40 for 3 good-looking remakes.

I don't LOVE how it looks, though. It kinda looks like those "ZELDA IN REAL ENGINE" YouTube videos

I just wish we knew if this was a timed exclusive or a permanent one. If it's timed, I'll wait until I can play on PC. If it's permanent, I'll just get it on PS4 at release.

Not knowing, I'm just kind of paralyzed, lol.

sinxtanx

Crash games were literally my life when I was around 10-12

still like Crash 2 and CTR

but the """"remastered"""" music in this game...

I kind of feel it looks incredible haha goes to show these things are totally in the eye of the beholder. I really loved the original games as a kid, and it feels like they've made good on that image in my mind's eye.

graybot

I just wish we knew if this was a timed exclusive or a permanent one. If it's timed, I'll wait until I can play on PC. If it's permanent, I'll just get it on PS4 at release.

Not knowing, I'm just kind of paralyzed, lol.

The fact you dont know leads me to think it is 100% timed

Think its pretty obvious. Hope its not too long, not a fan of timed exclusives or DLC

Fj0823

People hate on this game because they know their beloved Mario is threatened by the GOAT's return

See? I can shitpost too!!

Opa-Pa

Man, I'm super happy Coco is playable. I always found her adorable and I think I'll play solely as her in the remakes...

... But wow, I'm pretty annoyed at this weird "HAHA SELFIE TIME XD! #NOFFILTER!!" stereotype for female characters lately. It's like male characters can be whatever, but the one female one HAS to be the quirky millennial stereotype. It was cringey to see this in Mario x Rabbids and I was disappointed to see they used it for Coco too... Hell, it doesn't even fit her character at all.

Minir nitpick, I know, but yeah.

Kinsei

Banned
Man, I'm super happy Coco is playable. I always found her adorable and I think I'll play solely as her in the remakes...

... But wow, I'm pretty annoyed at this weird "HAHA SELFIE TIME XD! #NOFFILTER!!" stereotype for female characters lately. It's like male characters can be whatever, but the one female one HAS to be the quirky millennial stereotype. It was cringey to see this in Mario x Rabbids and I was disappointed to see they used it for Coco too... Hell, it doesn't even fit her character at all.

She needed goofy idle animations so they chose ones that fit with her techie nature. I feel like it suits her just fine.

WonderzL

Banned

I don't think it's minor at all. A huge part of her portrayal in this game is SELFIES, so yeah, pretty big. I also agree w/ you on Rabbid Peach

KORNdoggy

it looks so clean and crisp it honestly doesn't even look real to me. it's the sort of visuals you'd have expected to see in a 90's TV commercial for crash bandicoot before there were rules about advertising games using CGi and passing it off as gameplay. that's what this looks like to me, and honestly, i kinda like it.

Piggus

"They were bad games" is some shitty revisionist history from people who probably never played these games or only played them at a friend's house because they never owned a PS1. While the first game did have issues, the second and third were critically acclaimed (90+ review average) and were some of the bestselling games on the PS1.

Locuza

Disappointment of the year for me.

To me it looks like most people filter out the lackluster animation and terrible sound design just because it looks pretty.

To a certain degree it has a lot in common with Abe's Oddysee remake wich looked "pretty" but was inferior in sound design, some core mechanics and sometimes made worse artistic choices.

Unknown?

"They were bad games" is some shitty revisionist history from people who probably never played these games or only played them at a friend's house because they never owned a PS1. While the first game did have issues, the second and third were critically acclaimed (90+ review average) and were some of the bestselling games on the PS1.
Where did all of these shit posters come from? They're all coming out of the woodwork. Like none of the other threads recently had anything like this. It's amusing watching them try so hard.

joe_zazen

Where did all of these shit posters come from? They're all coming out of the woodwork. Like none of the other threads recently had anything like this. It's amusing watching them try so hard.

IMG_0023_zpsye4gvved.jpg

Which side are you on, bro?

Arkam

Everyday that is not the release day is day I really dont want to get up. I have been asking for this for so long (and it looks so great) that the wait is starting to take a toll on my health.

This will be a day long remembered (by some)

vio

Visuals look a bit low on contrast. Other than that it looks great.

My ideal remake would have original game, in slightly higher resolution and widescreen, and small polycount increase (for characters mostly). No texture filtering.

Hoping Spyro comes next. With him in Skylanders and being a major character in the new Netflix show there's an expanded fanbase they can reach.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, how they reviewed in 1997 and 1998 tells us little about how they hold up in 2017 when only minor adjustments have been made to the gameplay. I'll be playing, but I can understand people who won't be from not liking them back in the day either given it's the same game with a facelift that may or may not work for some people on both sides of that argument.

To be fair, how they reviewed in 1997 and 1998 tells us little about how they hold up in 2017 when only minor adjustments have been made to the gameplay. I'll be playing, but I can understand people who won't be from not liking them back in the day either given it's the same game with a facelift that may or may not work for some people on both sides of that argument.

The last time I replayed through Crash 2 and 3 was in 2012 and you can trust me when I say that they hold up very well.

Piggus

Most people believe they hold up extremely well, which is probably why they're one of the bestselling PS1 classics on PSN, right up there with MGS and FF7. Personally, the Crash games are the only PS1 games I go back to frequently. They're just fun.

MrBadger

I think the Crash games are simple enough to stand the test of time, with the only issues being Crash's handling in the first game, and the bizarre save system. These are both things that the remaster has set out to fix.

Damn, this does look really good. I didn't think I had any interest in this, but after seeing it, I think my mind is changed. I bought the first Crash the day it came out and thought it was pretty awesome. The game looked amazing and I remember it felt really good to break the crates. But after that never touched another Crash game for some reason. How are the sequels?

demu

Damn, this does look really good. I didn't think I had any interest in this, but after seeing it, I think my mind is changed. I bought the first Crash the day it came out and thought it was pretty awesome. The game looked amazing and I remember it felt really good to break the crates. But after that never touched another Crash game for some reason. How are the sequels?
Way better.

Crash 2 and 3 are both amazing games. You need this.

MrBadger

2 is the best one. Both 2 and 3 handle much better than the original, but 3's a bit bogged down by its copious vehicle levels. I'd still put it above the first, though.

Hektor

Crash 2 is widely accepted to be the highpoint of the trilogy, while Crash 3 is slightly controversial due to its gimmick levels (tho it is still more popular than the first game i think)

HardRojo

I already set aside money to get it as soon as it drops. Might even get it a few days earlier than launch as Peru likes to break street dates.
Edit: I agree with the soundtrack complaints, I like a lot of the new remade tracks, but some like Orient Express are a complete downgrade, plus the little groan from some enemies trying to lift something (anvils?) is apparently missing, that little sound effect represents a big part of that stage for me.

Haines

Banned
I was going to pass until I saw how much effort went into it.

Grabbed it for 30 CAN and hope my son will enjoy some with me.

Algebrah

I am so psyched for this. These are the only games I had on my PS1 for a very long time. I intend to Platinum everything.

Top Bottom