• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what do you prefer? E3 or everyone on their own?

What do you prefer?

• E3

• Everyone on their own

Results are only viewable after voting.

.Pennywise

Banned
Since now we've been able to see quite a bit of shows sprouting due to no E3. And now we know what it's to not have a proper E3. What do you prefer?

E3: All shows contained in a 3, 4 days span. Everyone presenting what they've got, all organized and divided by companies. With later gameplay demonstrations.

Everyone on their own: Every company doing their own stuff in a more separated time span. No dates to look forward, until said company tells you to, a few days before. Some minor events organized by Gaming Media, maybe deriving in some repeated game trailers between events. More possibilites of playable demos directly from home (from indie games mostly).

mercclass

As a gamer I would rather the companies move the expense funds from their marketing departments for events like E3 and repurpose it towards their console R and D and game studio development.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
E3 BY FAR.

Everything has been way too spread out with way too much filler in between the good stuff. Having E3 and the week prior for some lesser known reveals followed by the weekend of usually EA, Microsoft and Bethesda to then be followed by Sony and Ubisoft on Mondays with Nintendo on Tuesdays and a bunch of other reveals and gameplay videos the week of E3 is great. This year, everything has been just all over the place and im just hoping things go back to normal next year and we have an E3 week.

Isa

I prefer the pomp, hype, and overt competition of E3, even though it was quite separated these last few years with press conferences being held outside of the main venue. But an organized and known well in advance event is not only more fun for me, it is easier to follow. Those who would complain can/could just look up all the trailers posted just after the event(s). Right now its so weird and stretched out that some news and events rolled by and I'm still not only trying to find time to catch up on them but I also have to convince myself its worth it, such as with MS's last 3rd party shindig.

I still requested time off for this year, as well as the launch season as did my other friends. But instead of getting a Christmas event its like a hundred different little holidays that I can't be arsed to remember. Also, booth babes. I mourn their passing, and all the other modeling gigs. They are sorely missed. I cherish the old mags I have with sections dedicated to the best ladies of the show haha.

But yeah I miss all the stupidity and mic drops ala Sony's 299 Playstation moment, and definitely all the mighty memes unleashed. Tak Fuji is a legend among my friends and I. That whole time period is the classical era for vidya meme-ry.

Neolombax

I don't have a preference since I cannot attend these events anyway, like E3 for example. At the end of the day, I watch them all on Youtube, its all the same to me. Having E3 does consolidate things a bit, but having scattered events does pace out the gaming news and contents.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So far, E3, because this year's been an unorganised shit show.

If we had more concrete dates from everyone in advance it could have been way better. As it stands it's been one Sony video and some random announcements. I don't "miss" E3 really, the cringe can be fun, but it's all about the games.

martino

E3 because on their own gameplay is lacking and more infos / details are not there.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
E3 easily. All this stuff is way too damn spread out. Plus, when one company has a shitty press conference, you can hope that another one has a better one. Even on years where Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo had a shitty offering, at least one of the other companies has a better one to balance it out.

When Sony did their PS5 reveal recently, it all felt so ultimately unsatisfying and boring because they showed so many games I don't care about. And there was nothing else happening that week to balance it out to make me feel excited anyway.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
In the age of social media, a mature medium like gaming doesn't need an all you can eat buffet. This way there's room for more smaller events that give the spotlight to different types of games and developers.

E3 was big for console wars and clout chasing. There's no reason for Nintendo, Sony, MS to "share" the stage.

E3 has always been coveted in my home as someone else mentioned as a holiday. I have watched E3 since the early 2000's and am deeply saddened that we had to miss this year because of literal fear mongering. I hope they bounce back with a huge event next year. So far the Summer Games fest has been a bore.

samporter

Banned
I rather watch a show than tune into some guy in his living room streaming trailers. There is something exciting and interesting about seeing a live production show with all the lights, glamour and crowd than watching a prerecorded video.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I rather watch a show than tune into some guy in his living room streaming trailers. There is something exciting and interesting about seeing a live production show with all the lights, glamour and crowd than watching a prerecorded video.

E3 isn’t needed for that. Companies can make their own events, like Apple does for example.

E3 was about the show floor and then it became about conference wars. It’s over.

dilbag

I much prefer something like E3 everything in one week, and being able to directly compare each conference.

I love watching the internet make the memes and go all out that week....

E3 all the way. I love the hype and build up, especially on here. Rumors, discussions, gifs. It just feels more succinct,organized, and fun.

Moogle11

Banned
Spread out I guess. But really don‘t care as I’m only watching Nintendo and Sony’s events/directs and will read news and check trailers of games thst catch my eyes either way.

xiseerht

I would say that Summer of Gaming has been better for smaller and indie games . I have seen some great games that I know , would have been over shadowed in a normal E3 setting. For example 30XX, Iron Harvest , Corepunk , Just say no , Kena , Shing , Gori ,Mortal Shell , Empire Sun, Blankos Block Party , Metal Helllsinger , and Demon Turf . I want all of those games now . Now , with that being said , I do miss the holiday of E3 . But getting new game information all month long has not been that bad either.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I much prefer the edited videos without a stage show. So much nonsense is shown on stage shows, that's just boring when all I want to see are games.

I also kind of like having the shows spread out. It leaves less downtime throughout the year waiting for announcements and it gives a greater focus to each batch of games.

xiseerht

Highly prefer the current scenario. I get way more information as little is drowned by the big news. Also gaming podcasts are great right now as there's a lot of stuff to talk every week.

I agree with you. I do miss E3 , but I outside of the horrible jokes and humor ( I mean , it is god awful) on the IGN Summer of Gaming. The actual content and information have been rock solid .

Last edited:
E3

We would know about WB games right now, EA Games, Ubisoft Games etc...with a bunch of live hands-on about the games coming this fall.

This shit ain't it.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's kind of annoying I am going to have to hear for weeks about MS' "July Event" and how it will put them back in the driver's seat or whatever. In a regular year, Sony would have done their presentation on one day, and MS the next day, and it's all on the table. That's just a better way to do it.

clarky

Gold Member
E3 and its not even close. Like Christmas for me but in the summer, always look forward to it. I'm 45 and it still(did) excites me.

Hoping MS bring the hype.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The new format is capable of showing more and I could see SONY, Microsoft etc. doing it again, certain things about E3 makes it feel like a relic, especially with dealing with the times we're in.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If it was more organized I'd say everyone on their own but as of right now e3. It's nice to have a set amount of days to know what's coming and be able to plan and experience it in vacation like fashion.

Not being able to turn off my brain for a few days and just relax and watch games being unveiled and instead having to divert what I'm doing for a few hours every couple of days isnt nearly as much fun. And frankly I pay less attention.

hemo memo

Gold Member
After this shitshow mess of a summer? E3 absolutely. It pressures companies to prepare for the show and it is easier to follow instead of this very long stretch of companies announcing shows left and right and you very easily lose track and we are enthusiasts. Now think of the general public. Yeah no more summer - whatever please. Bring E3 back.

johntown

Banned
I prefer to see everything in one sitting so E3 but as long as there are trailers I really don't care too much.

Tornix

Definitely E3. Knowing dates further ahead of time and having everything presented in the span of that week is so much more convenient. Summer of games has been relegated to being put on in the background for me, whereas I'd actually sit and watch E3 presentations.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
These digital events shows their limits: a bunch of video and then... nothing, no gameplay, no direct feeds or camera footages, no other info, no interviews.
It's like E3 is finished after a couple of hours.

I definitely prefer E3. It has become really hard for me to keep up with all the different streams and announcements. They come in like random floods the last week or so. E3 kinda streamlines all that.

The comparison is not really fair because this year has been a shitshow for every aspect of anything. I don't care for E3 and I think a properly organized digital event would be better.

E3. Everything scheduled and in nice, easy to digest segments.

I've given up trying to keep up with the things that are being announced at the moment.

It's all just a bloody mess now quite honestly. Even Nintendo aren't sticking to directs it seems anymore, which at least meant you had just a few well advertised streams to watch. The fact I only knew a new Pokemon Snap was announced was due to browsing here is ridiculous.

Vandole

I only casually pay attention to gaming news these days, and because of that I greatly prefer E3. I know when there's that much announced and shown off in just a span of three or four days some stuff gets missed, but I know I've missed a lot more over the past month.

I'm also more inclined to take a few minutes and learn about games I'm not initially interested in or on systems that I don't own. It's easier to get caught up in all things gaming when your bombarded with all the news at once.

.Pennywise

Banned
The comparison is not really fair because this year has been a shitshow for every aspect of anything. I don't care for E3 and I think a properly organized digital event would be better.
Why not? What better comparison of not having an E3 than actually not having one could you get?

BTW, these shows you're seeing ARE properly organized digital events.

Top Bottom