• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's going on with Saints Row 5?

900cafa03c582e4d-600x338.png

Saints Row was the last franchise still alive that competed with GTA, but we haven't had a new game in years, many years if you look at the 4th game as nothing more than Super Hero DLC.

If Watch Dogs 3 is the game the media is pushing as GTAs competitor, we are in bad shape. Saints Row 5 was officially confirmed but we haven't gotten any news about development and it's due to be released in 2020. Is there anyone who's been keeping track of things who has heard anything about the game? As the only GTA style game I can play without getting bored, I need my Saints Row 5.

Kadayi

Banned
Much love for 2, 3 & 4 but it's hard to see where they go with 5 less it is either a complete reboot or something fresh. Personally I'd be ok with the latter myself, as I think the franchise was getting a little long in the tooth in terms of being so self-referential.

GV82

Probably keeping it for next Gen now, first saints row on the new consoles i’m Gonna guess,

Much love for 2, 3 & 4 but it's hard to see where they go with 5 less it is either a complete reboot or something fresh. Personally I'd be ok with the latter myself, as I think the franchise was getting a little long in the tooth in terms of being so self-referential.

I think 3 went to far in the satire department, I think it should be humorous but I want some deep storytelling that's at least somewhat series for the next one.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Saints 1 was ok, I think 2 and 3 were great (mostly due to co-op), 4 was kinda meh (and I hated the DLC)...

Will they be able to make a good satirical game in this PC climate? GTA did it, but I think the gatekeeps will give GTA games a pass for that type of stuff but I have a feeling the game will suffer due to fear of the cancel-culture crowd.

Also after Saints 4 I'm not sure if I'll even bother to back it as a pre-order. I'll wait and see and probably wait until it's $30 or less.

All we know right now is that it's deep in development.

I actually put more hours into the third game but I do think Saints Row 2 had a better story (some of the best cutscenes in the series), more interesting gangs, and I prefer Stilwater to Steelport.

tumblr_mk8iv7zfUD1qj5jqso5_500.gif

But as much as I'd like to see the old Saints Row return, it's more likely that Volition will just throw in a couple easter eggs like they did with Saints Row IV and Gat Out of Hell.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I loved the first two games. 3 was ok but gotta bit boring to me. I skipped 4.

Hope 5 is a return to what madevit great.

Yeah, the first two games were great. I didn't get into 3 and 4 was just stupid. 2 was by far my favorite. I loved the asian motorcycle gang so much. Hell, all the gangs were badass in their own right. If SRV can get back to the tone of the first two games, I think it can be a homerun.

Top Bottom