• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's the deal with shitty download speeds on Sony consoles?

GulAtiCa

Yeah, its pretty shitty at times. It's not always as bad, but usually is. Sometimes I get lucky and faster speeds. My normal network connection is fast too..

It is faster then PS3 at least.

ymgve

I solved my downloading problems by sticking "193.212.178.81 gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net" in my hosts file and using Privoxy to redirect downloads through my PC. Don't get full bandwidth usage, but at least I don't get the shitty 300kb/sec servers Sony assigns me if I allow them to resolve the DNS instead.

clintar

Install a proxy on your pc/router and point your ps4 to it... or don't and complain about bad speeds until 3.0 comes out

Walpurgis

Banned
It's always been this way. PS3 download speeds were a disgrace, which makes PS4 speeds a lot more tolerable for most people, myself included. However, when I look at my PC's download speeds, I can't help but think of what could have been...

kingkenny76

I'm on 3.0 too and I always get decent speeds, but for the first time two weeks ago I was forced to pause/unpause a download in order to continue downloading. So the same problem remains.

How does the same problem remain if you never had the problem before?
I can only speak for myself but the speeds I'm getting since 3.0 have definitely increased.
I've compared the download speeds to Steam & Origin on my network and they are very similar, again this could be because not many people are on 3.0 yet I'm not sure.

StevieP

Banned
Their content delivery network is a single pentium 2 tower on a dialup connection in the sahara. The best that your sub money can pay for.

Glomby

I solved my downloading problems by sticking "193.212.178.81 gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.net" in my hosts file and using Privoxy to redirect downloads through my PC. Don't get full bandwidth usage, but at least I don't get the shitty 300kb/sec servers Sony assigns me if I allow them to resolve the DNS instead.

Wait what does this do exactly? Because of the shitty download speed I actually set up a dedicated server (an old modified router) to run privoxy 24/7. Which means I have my ps4 connected to its' very own dedicated proxy server now but it basically fixes nothing for me. I get like 25mbit with my 120mbit connection, that's it.

I don't want to use my PC but could I somehow implement your solution into my dedicated proxy solution someone? I set all of it up using guides on the Internet, so have no idea :D

JCX

PS3 and Vita are awful for me, but PS4 works fine. Helps that it auto downloads updates and can download games remotely.

tariniel

It's been this way since the start, my PS3 was always really slow to download anything. I can remember buying Metal Gear Solid 1 PS1 game on PSN, it took an hour to download it. A PS1 game! Meanwhile on my PC I downloaded the ~28gb MSG V in less than a half hour on launch day. They have some serious work to do, but I doubt it will get better anytime soon.

neoemonk

I get 60 Mbps down and it took me 13 hours on patch day. I hate paying for this service and will probably let it lapse if I'm not still playing Destiny when it expires in two months.

ymgve

Wait what does this do exactly? Because of the shitty download speed I actually set up a dedicated server (an old modified router) to run privoxy 24/7. Which means I have my ps4 connected to its' very own dedicated proxy server now but it basically fixes nothing for me. I get like 25mbit with my 120mbit connection, that's it.

I don't want to use my PC but could I somehow implement your solution into my dedicated proxy solution someone? I set all of it up using guides on the Internet, so have no idea :D

It forces your PS4 to use the same download server each time instead of just randomly getting assigned one. The IP I showed works for me, but it's also located in the country I live in, Norway, so that's probably why it works well.

To find the IP that works well for you, you need some software like curl or wget that shows the IP address of your download, then repeatedly download a file from PSN on your PC, for example http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.n...CUSA00001_00-PLAYROOM00000000-A0102-V0100.pkg - once you notice an IP that gives you good speeds, write it down and place it in your hosts file.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's a pain in the ass and I wish they'd fix it. I shut off the console and do the pause/test connection and resume shit to make it download properly because it takes hours otherwise.

Hugstable

Banned
Ps4 is okay speed wise, not really all that great for me, but PS3 speeds are just terrible and makes me wonder what's wrong with it. Even when I'm connected directly it takes a looooooooong time to download, let alone the long install times

I recently upgraded my HDD and I may never do it again with PSN speeds. It's hardwired and still somehow slower than the Xbox in another room

Just got my Ps4 today. Psn is a joke. I have 100mbs internet speeds. On my Xbox I get around 70mbs but on my Ps4 connection test I get about 15mbs.

Just bought Driveclub digitally and it is only downloading AT MOST 1mbs. I have to constantly check it to make sure it hasn't slowed to a 0.1mbs crawl.

Absolutely ridiculous in 2015.

EDIT: Says an hour to download the initial 2.7gb. Still have a 15gb update file after that. Then I have Destiny updates to do. I won't get to actually play my Ps4 until this weekend at this rate.

Sad state of affairs.

EDIT 2: Should I just activate all my updates and put my console in rest mode? Will it go noticeably faster?

Glomby

It forces your PS4 to use the same download server each time instead of just randomly getting assigned one. The IP I showed works for me, but it's also located in the country I live in, Norway, so that's probably why it works well.

To find the IP that works well for you, you need some software like curl or wget that shows the IP address of your download, then repeatedly download a file from PSN on your PC, for example http://gs2.ww.prod.dl.playstation.n...CUSA00001_00-PLAYROOM00000000-A0102-V0100.pkg - once you notice an IP that gives you good speeds, write it down and place it in your hosts file.

Ah okay, I get it and when I've identified a good Server I can force a connection to it via privoxy? Or do I need another program?

Persona7

Banned
Just got my Ps4 today. Psn is a joke. I have 100mbs internet speeds. On my Xbox I get around 70mbs but on my Ps4 connection test I get about 15mbs.

Just bought Driveclub digitally and it is only downloading AT MOST 1mbs. I have to constantly check it to make sure it hasn't slowed to a 0.1mbs crawl.

EDIT: Says an hour to download the initial 2.7gb. Still have a 15gb update file after that. Then I have Destiny updates to do. I won't get to actually play my Ps4 until this weekend at this rate.

Sad state of affairs.

EDIT 2: Should I just activate all my updates and put my console in rest mode? Will it go noticeably faster?

I see comments about rest mode being faster but I tracked the speeds using my routers bandwidth software and it was going at similar speeds while just sitting in the menu not playing a game and in rest mode. I would put it in rest mode just to save electricity if you are not going to play any games.

OmegaX0

I think rest mode is just a placebo. I've had a fast download turn to shit after putting it in rest mode. Just seems like it works similar to pause/resume in that it reconnects and if you're lucky you get a good server.

ymgve

Ah okay, I get it and when I've identified a good Server I can force a connection to it via privoxy? Or do I need another program?

Just use Privoxy and set your computer to be the proxy in PS4's network settings. I think there were some more detailed guides in earlier threads so you could search for those.

Glomby

Just use Privoxy and set your computer to be the proxy in PS4's network settings. I think there were some more detailed guides in earlier threads so you could search for those.

But my PC has to be running to make this work. That's why I set up a dedicated server with privoxy. This way privoxy is running 24/7.

The problem is, I still only get like 25mbit instead of 100mbit+

Footos22

Sad state of affairs.

PSN's fine for me and alot of people. I'm in the Uk and get my full download speed. didnt have to mess around with dmz's, rest mode and all that shit, this is through Wifi on Skys shitty router.

Only took just over an hour to download destiny's 17gb update. Last of us was done within 3 hours.

For me its actually quicker to play something else while its downloading in the background then it is putting it in rest mode.

Gotta be something with their CDN location and distribution.

I haven't had an issue with downloads on PSN in years.
Most recently, I downloaded the Destiny TTK patch (17gb) in its entirety in about 45 minutes on day 1.

I downloaded TLoU left behind last night in one hour. I only ever get slower speeds if I'm downloading something that the world and his uncle are all getting at the same time

Maybe we need an official page in which Sony rates PSN performance by ISP like Netflix does. Maybe if they do people might scream for net neutrality rules instead of shitting only on the content provider?

Like this isn't a Sony issue the servers have always been shitty on PSN. Every other device Xbone, steam, wiiu all download at top speeds for me but psn is painfully slow took an hour to update destiny on a 150Mbps connection.

DirtyLarry

I downloaded SOMA in 9 minutes the other day and I felt that was a tad slow. Guess I should consider myself lucky.
PSN is pretty damn fast always for me. Live somehow this generation has gone to the slower service of the two, but it is still pretty fast.

PSN's fine for me and alot of people. I'm in the Uk and get my full download speed. didnt have to mess around with dmz's, rest mode and all that shit, this is through Wifi on Skys shitty router.

Only took just over an hour to download destiny's 17gb update. Last of us was done within 3 hours.

For me its actually quicker to play something else while its downloading in the background then it is putting it in rest mode.

In the US here. There is too many people with fantastic internet speeds having a horrible experience with psn download speeds. Has to be a fault on Sony's end. Some people are hypothesizing its the current firmware, idk. I had a ps4 at launch for 3 months and I don't remember it being so terrible.

EDIT: After putting in rest mode, my games did finish downloading before the estimated time. For instance the 4 hour destiny update took about an hour and a half. So my download speeds surpased 1mbs at least.

I'm not a fan of intant on on my Xbox, nor rest mode on ps4, as I believe it would only shorten the lifespan of my consoles, always being in a low powered state. I may have to suck it up though and use rest mode, so at least my updates will download in the background when I'm not even gaming.

Nosgotham

PS3 was SO bad for me. Just to download 2 gigs it took all night. My wiiu, Xbox 360 would do 2 gigs in 20 -30 minutes. Ps4 was better but still took twice as long as my other systems on average

x-Lundz-x

300MB Time Warner Cable.

SpeedTest.net = 300MB
Xbox One Detailed connections stats ~ 280MB
PS4 Detailed connections stats ~ 40MB

It is like this with EVERY Sony device I have ever owned and it's pathetic. Even testing at 40MB the actual download speeds are like I'm on 8 meg DSL. It took over a day to download GTA5 the other day.

I love my PS4 but Sony needs to fix this shit on the software level. I should not have to change anything on my router when EVERY OTHER DEVICE works just fine.

all of my friends have this same issue. A buddy of mine has gigabit internet. He gets about 900 meg on XB1 and he tests the same speed as me on his PS4. It's an issue with Sony's hardware or their servers or both.

Melchiah

Like this isn't a Sony issue the servers have always been shitty on PSN. Every other device Xbone, steam, wiiu all download at top speeds for me but psn is painfully slow took an hour to update destiny on a 150Mbps connection.

I guess it somewhat depends on what people define as good or bad. My wired DL speeds on both PS3 and PS4 have been pretty good, 30-40Mbps on the former, and 60-70Mbps on the latter. The PS4 speeds went down a bit, from >70 to <60, when I exchanged a modem and NAT type from 1 to 2. 70Mbps is also about the max I get on my laptop, although that's on Wi-Fi. I've never tested it on a wired connection.

We don't care if yours works for no explicable reason people. This is an issue with Sony not our internet.

On Steam I download at my internet cap of 20MBs (160Mbps) and on PS4 with ethernet connected to the same router I get 8-10 Mbps on actual downloads with my download speed on network test at 40 Mbps.

It's seriously a big problem that Sony needs to fix. It shouldn't take 15 minutes to download a game less than 1GB that would download in less than 1 minute on Steam.

ymgve

When I talk about bad download speeds, I mean really bad. Like 200-300 kbyte/second bad, on a 100mbit connection. With the fix I found that forces the "right" server, I get 10-20x that speed.

When I talk about bad download speeds, I mean really bad. Like 200-300 kbyte/second bad, on a 100mbit connection. With the fix I found that forces the "right" server, I get 10-20x that speed.

Same here, 100mb internet and sometimes my downloads slow to a crawl of .1mbps.

Is there a detailed walkthrough of this method you speak of? Not very network savvy.

Melchiah

I bought a new router and opened up my ports for PSN and it hasn't made a difference. Yet over on my PC on Steam I get my full download speed.

I've had fluctuations with my connection, both downloads and Netflix streaming on both PS systems, since the spring. At first I thought it was due to some issues with PSN, since I don't use my laptop for either, but after the ISP serviceman visited here it seems the problem lies somewhere in the apartment/house. The connection even went down when he was in my apartment. It's still not clear what's the cause, and the ISP told me that they monitor the situation.

EDIT: Before the spring, there were no problems with Netflix streaming, and DL speeds were always above 70Mbps, since the PS4 launch.

I've had fluctuations with my connection, both downloads and Netflix streaming on both PS systems, since the spring. At first I thought it was due to some issues with PSN, since I don't use my laptop for either, but after the ISP serviceman visited here it seems the problem lies somewhere in the apartment/house. The connection even went down when he was in my apartment. It's still not clear what's the cause, and the ISP told me that they monitor the situation.

Were you using ethernet or wifi? There wouldn't be interference on ethernet which is what I use. If there was it'd affect everything else I use, which it doesn't.

Melchiah

Were you using ethernet or wifi? There wouldn't be interference on ethernet which is what I use. If there was it'd affect everything else I use, which it doesn't.

Wired, as the PS3 speeds were shit on Wi-Fi.

Here's what I added to my previous post:
Before the spring, there were no problems with Netflix streaming, and DL speeds were always above 70Mbps, since the PS4 launch.

Solved my download speed issues by freeing up 100gb and deleting unplayed games. Having at least 100gb free seemed to be the sweet spot for me, have gone from about 0.5MB/s consistently staight up to 12MB/s. thats megabytes not megabits.

May have something to do with the disk encryption or custom filesystem that requires plenty of space for optimal performance. Definately not network related.

Top Bottom