• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when will it be safe for devs to be ambitious if people are already crying about bad ports whenever they release current gen & PC only games?

Senua

Ambitious?

There seems to be a drop in talent across the industry in some places/studios. Wonder if hiring practices due to certain agendas being pushed have anything to do with it?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

L6V0Iiu.jpg

lol, the issue is that devs are getting cockblocked by clueless management who just want to make money. The days of devs working on projects because they wanted to is long gone.

Also incompetence is a factor at play as well.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
People will be fine with a game running at 1440p/30fps on their $500 console if it actually looks impressive.

Like, if Hellblade 2 actually looks like this, no one reasonable is going to expect it to render at 4k/60 on consoles:

52862350670_ba7d4cc6ec_o.png

Otre

Banned
"So when will it be safe for devs to be ambitious"

Are you a dev or a partner/simp to one? Its always been safe to be ambitious. The change now its that some of the public is educated enough to know what a performance and quality standard must be. The market has changed from mostly children that would eat any slop to people that give a damn about good latency, bugs and crashes.

Devs will continue to be ambitious because their shit still sells. Theyre in the safest of places when the money keeps pouring in. If your standards are stuck in 2007 on a game that was the exception because it looked a generation ahead on its highest settings, then the problem lies with you. Either the new devs dont know shit about optimizing or the higher ups are forcing these betas out. Either way, the next AAA disaster will sell millions and well be bitching about it.

brian0057

Banned
Devs don't lack ambition. They lack limitations.
PCs and consoles of today have so much power that devs just waste that power because they can afford it. This is why games in the past few years are broken pieces of shit at launch.
I long for the days when devs had to be mindful of how much memory they were using, which forced them to be creative with what they have.

"Oh, I can only make the levels this size? How can we make it more interesting without having to chop the level in half? Or if we have to chop it, how can we make it interesting?"
Those kinds of questions are missing these days.
Hell, some of the best games I've played in the past 5 years have all been indies that made the conscious decision of restricting themselves to achieve a better product.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One minute Cross-Gen is a problem but it seems no one is willing to deal with the growing pains that come with devs moving on to a higher floor.

I remember when Crysis was praised because the people on lower end PCs couldn't run the game & people laughed at the thought of it running on the current consoles until it adventually came to consoles 4 years later.
Crysis was meant to be demanding on purpose because it was pushing the envelope. Whether that was real or mostly marketing, most of us accepted it. Is Jedi Survivor pushing the envelope and was it developed with the purpose to push the envelope? I'm not sure.

Maybe the marketing solution for these companies is to say that their games are super demanding so that only true gamers with god PCs can run it well.

"But can it run Crysis Jedi Survivor?"

The bad PC ports lately might be due to games rushing out the door before AAA shit hits the fan (as in Zelda, Diablo, Final Fantasy, Starfield, Spider-Man, etc).

Console versions getting priority, so you end up with poorly optimized PC versions.
I think some titles would’ve been better off delayed to next year, but obviously that costs money as well..

sachos

I said when will they be free to be ambitious as in actually make a game that can only run on specs above the average PC.

If things are this bad now what will happen if someone tried to go all out ?
I think it all comes down to if the graphics/systems of the game actually guarantee the higher than average PC requirements. If they can show why their game is so heavy and if the game properly uses the PC specs without things like bad thread optimization or heavy stuttering nobody will complain or if someone complains another one will be quick to point out the reasons the game is heavy. Channels like DF are quick to show if the game is actually heavy or badly optimized.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Having the only measure of so called 'ambition' online being the 'perceived visual quality' is kinda really sad.

Not to say that any recently maligned releases were showing particular ambitions that weren't visual - it's just a reflection of how complacent high-end games have been for - I don't know - past 15-16 years now.

onQ123

Having the only measure of so called 'ambition' online being the 'perceived visual quality' is kinda really sad.

Not to say that any recently maligned releases were showing particular ambitions that weren't visual - it's just a reflection of how complacent high-end games have been for - I don't know - past 15-16 years now.
I think about this all the time CPUs in consoles are a lot more advanced now but gameplay haven't changed much over the years

Top Bottom