• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when will the real PS5 launch happen?

crushy

Neo Member
Hello, Belgium here... orders mine 09/19/20, still waiting for it, seems like No shop is taking preorders anymore since the launch in november, there is No stock... I expect a second wave in march.

Calm down, Demon Souls is great, but it's not an original game, it's more of a "tech demo" in the sense that it's an great done exact replica of an existing game, but showing of what it can look like on a PS5.

Here in Europe it just feels like there are simply no PS5 units around and at this point it doesn't even make sense for Sony to advertise it, since you probably still can't pick it up in Feburary.

Obviously it launched, but it sure aint a mass market available product. I agree that Ratchet and Clank bundled together this fall will probably be the point where PS5 market saturation and availability is high enough for it to truly take the spotlight.
Don’t know why people think R&C is some big thing when in reality it never wasn’t, judging by the sales. It’s borderline niche franchise. Could it suddenly explode? Sure, but unlikely if it hasn’t by now.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Don’t know why people think R&C is some big thing when in reality it never wasn’t, judging by the sales. It’s borderline niche franchise. Could it suddenly explode? Sure, but unlikely if it hasn’t by now.

The Office Jim GIF

KAL2006

Banned
Hopefully whenever it has a proper launch the following issues have been resolved.

- able to buy internal SSD that's compatible
- auto HDR instead of SDR in HDR container
- VRR support
- 4K60 patch for God of War, Last Guardian (these worked in unpatched disk version already)

Follow the right Twitter accounts and set notifications to all, have card and shipping info saved at all retailers, know that when a retailer drops they usually will again in 5 to 30 minutes in waves, keep spamming the buy button, refresh and try again.

Of course drops have slowed recently but when they go live you will be notified with a direct link and that method can get you one. Once I started doing this I got it on the 3rd attempt.
Bestbuy is the best option. I have bought three from them, 2 in November and one today, without issues thanks to their anti bot system.

replicant-

I'm wondering if R&C isn't dated yet is due to install base numbers & availability. It was planned as a "launch window", which at a push takes us up to April.

LOLCats

Banned
well at my house both consoles launched on launch day. but apparently im one of the few...

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I almost forgot about wanting a PS5 at this point. It's end of January and as far as I can tell it's still impossible to buy a PS5.
At this point I wonder if Sony actually has to do a proper relaunch for the PS5 for once it's actually readily available in stores.

To me it feels more like there has been a prerelease of the PS5 with Demon Souls serving as a great tech demo.

So I am wondering, when do you think the PS5 will really properly arrive and not play second fiddle to the PS4, but have it's own original blockbuster Games that can't run on PS4 Pro?

By now I am almost thinking that won't happen till Christmas 2022. I actually wouldn't be suprised if there was already a smaller formfactor redesign in the works for as early as Winter 2022, which could be understood as the real arrival of the PS5 as a massmarket product.

November
Covid
Scalper
Waiting rooms

It's a legit question. I know a handful of people who have straight up given up trying to buy one until maybe next year Xmas. That said, all but one were also unable to secure a Xbox Series X/S. It's a bizarre situation for sure.

Zeroing

Banned
I live on a tiny island, stores are open here so yeah I saw a PS5 with my own eyes! They are real!

I though to myself “damn you’re a thick console aren’t you? Can’t wait to get my hands on you and touch your faceplates”

As I slowly walked I realized it was just a show model for the store and you had to order one! And yeah you can’t touch it.

I am just trying to be funny!

Jaxcellent

Sony really dropped the ball with this PS5 shitshow launch. NL here, you still can't buy or preorder a PS5 here...6 months after launch...

Once or twice a month some PS5s are available from the bigger webshops, but its almost impossible to secure one if you don't have a bot or have a job.

At this point I don't really care anymore, it really is a special achievement, fucking this up so bad. IMO, only game thats worth it is RE8 next month, but without a VR version, not so sure I care about it..

Elog

Sony really dropped the ball with this PS5 shitshow launch. NL here, you still can't buy or preorder a PS5 here...6 months after launch...

Once or twice a month some PS5s are available from the bigger webshops, but its almost impossible to secure one if you don't have a bot or have a job.

At this point I don't really care anymore, it really is a special achievement, fucking this up so bad. IMO, only game thats worth it is RE8 next month, but without a VR version, not so sure I care about it..
How can Sony drop the ball when there is basically a semiconductor shortage that is so severe that car factories are at a stand-still and Samsung cancels a whole cell phone generation/ launch completely for the same reason (and Samsung is one of the biggest semi-conductor manufacturers in the world which just underlines how severe the shortage is). I am actually impressed by the level of supply that Sony has been able to maintain so far.

Some people here write things that are simply non-sensical.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

How can Sony drop the ball when there is basically a semiconductor shortage that is so severe that car factories are at a stand-still and Samsung cancels a whole cell phone generation/ launch completely for the same reason (and Samsung is one of the biggest semi-conductor manufacturers in the world which just underlines how severe the shortage is). I am actually impressed by the level of supply that Sony has been able to maintain so far.

Some people here write things that are simply non-sensical.
Well, a start would be selling directly to consumers...
A next step could be, only sell to webshops that have a anti bot system in place on their site.

Some people here...

Elog

Well, a start would be selling directly to consumers...
A next step could be, only sell to webshops that have a anti bot system in place on their site.

Some people here...
You do realize that while scalping is a real problem that as a % of supply it is a minor phenomena? In other words, it is much more of an emotional piece that really - and rightly so - pisses people off but in the big scheme of things does not really impair your ability to get a console as much as you think? What impairs your ability to get a console is the fact that there is much higher demand than supply and the reason for that is the semi-conductor shortage.

Never. Whole generation will pass and we won’t see consoles on the shelves. It will be drip, drip, drip throughout. Later next year it might be easier to order online but not widely available.

We’re living in a truly bizarro world.

Top Bottom