• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So which rpgs do you consider "great" this generation?

Speevy

Banned
Dark Cloud 2 and DQ8 rock.

Level 5 is the Nintendo of RPG developers. They know how to make an RPG that ANYONE can play.

Reilly

Speevy said:
Level 5 is the Nintendo of RPG developers.

charliesigh766293go6.jpg

jarrod

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Nocturne
DDS1-2
Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria (so far)
DQ8
BOF:DQ
Shadow Hearts Trilogy
FFX
Romancing SaGa

I'm assuming FFXII will be up there too when I play it.

If you count SRPGs, Fire Emblem and some of N1's titles(DIsgaea 1-2, PB, MK)
No GX? It almost made my list. :/

Xenosaga Episode III is the best RPG I've played since Chrono Trigger. The gameplay is good, but it's the story and how strongly and emotionally it all concluded. It's still stuck in my head.

Jiggy

Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Mario Tennis Power Tour (no, I'm not joking)
Pokemon Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green/Ruby/Sapphire
Tales of Symphonia

Almost made it but didn't:
Baten Kaitos - One of the top three battle systems ever, but too much linearity.
Baten Kaitos Origins - I can't rightfully put it on the list when I haven't played it yet, but apparently consensus is that it's better than the original in every way except possibly battles.

That's about it. Everything else:
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - Hated BoF 1-3; even if this was brilliant I wouldn't give my money to Capcom for this franchise.
Dragon Quest VIII - Could probably have been on, actually, if I'd played it. DQIII and IV would have been.
Final Fantasy IV - Good, not great.
Final Fantasy X - FFIX was the FF series' last hurrah unless FFXII redeems it.
Final Fantasy X-2 - See above.
Mario and Luigi (both) - Pretty linear, not terribly charming though they try.
Paper Mario 2 - Fun for about 15 hours, then tapered off for the other 20 due to its hardcore linearity and relatively slow battle system. "Okay," nothing more.
Pokemon Colosseum - Too shallow, way too linear.
Pokemon XD - See FFIV.
Riviera - Painfully slow and tedious.
Skies of Arcadia - Was in consideration for purchase, but I heard complaints about too many random battles.
Star Ocean 3 - Didn't play because I heard negative things about it from SO2 fans. SO2 being my third favorite game ever, I didn't want to tarnish my opinion of it, much as I didn't play Chrono Cross because I loved Chrono Trigger.
Suikoden anything - Didn't like Suikoden 1 and 2, wouldn't try again.
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - Falls just short of greatness, though it's closer than everything else in this list. Almost on the "almost made it" list.
Tales of Phantasia - Hampered by slowdown.
Valkyrie Profile 2 - VP1 wouldn't make it to my great list because of, again, linearity.

Anything else unlisted probably revolves around the fact that I don't even know a thing about it, or care, because I stopped listening to people's RPG recommendations after the fiasco of the PS1 generation. Suikoden, Xenogears, Lunar, Breath of Fire, FF7/8, Wild ARMs--the hype was miss miss miss to me when I actually played these games, Star Ocean 2 being the lone exception, and really put me off of caring this time around.

Lunar 3 with Eternal Sonata type animation (but with the typical Lunar designs) would make me just as happy as a pretty pink cupcake!!!

Teasel

well since i think that list are boring and besides most of my names would be the same of those list,i'm going to name a single name which is
RADIATA STORIES!!! BUY IT OR DIE!

Tsubaki

These threads are silly because every RPG inevitably ends up being named. For every post there's entries you'd agree with and entries that make you laugh.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Out of the ones I've played a lot of:

The great:
Dragon Quest 8
Skies of Arcadia
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
(hopefully VP:S will be here but I've only played for 2 hours so far)

The good:
Tales of Symphonia
Digital Devil Saga
Ys: The Ark of Naphistim
SMT: Nocturne
Radiata Stories
Growlanser Generations
Dark Cloud 2
Atelier Iris:Eternal Mana

The OK:
Shadow Hearts
FFX
Star Ocean 3
Baten Kaitos
Fable
Suikoden III
Jade Empire

The horrible:
FFX2
Xenosaga

agent069

Banned
I haven't played them all but :

Paper Mario 2 : cool gameplay, nice Zelda-esque touch, nice humour, awesome design

Final Fantasy X : it's linear and all, but it's really cool to play, I couldn't stop playing until I
finished it, the battle system is wonderful and the environment are splendid

Final Fantasy XII : at least the first 10 hours are amazing, I can't wait for the US release

Dragon Quest 8 : that game has all the classical RPG flaw in the world but it somehow manages to make them qualities, I don't understand why I love this game so much

Megaman Battle Network : the story and design are crap but the battle system is awesome

There's quite some RPG that I really hated this gen :

Kingdom Hearts : I've rarely such an annoying kiddy game, I don't mind kiddy games (I'm a nintendo fan anyway), but this one is too much for me to stand, plus the gameplay is crappy

Breath of Fire 5 : I don't understand the hype at all, maybe I've missed something but for the ten hours I've played there was : crappy graphics (both technic and style), slow, boring and repetitive battle (you just never gain abilities, all the fights are the ****ing same.

KOTOR : no gameplay just talks, crappy framerate, big loading really wasn't worst the 10€, probably my worst RPG this gen :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SMT3 is my RPG of the generation followed by Dragon Quarter so far.

still there is some RPGs that can take that title from SMT3 imo, mainly VP2 and Persona 3 we'll see.

Truly great? As in they make the others pale by comparison?

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
World of Warcraft

And people should stop listing games they haven't played yet.

Rimshot

Ok I'm probably getting flamed for this list, but what the hell :)

Console

Tales of Symphonia - One of the best Tales games out there, loved the art and story.
Disgaea - There hasn't been much to console in the SRPG genre for a while, this really took me back.
Shadow Hearts 1-2-3 - It's a little unnusual, but that's what makes it special :)
Suikoden 3 - Well, it's Suikoden !
Harvest Moon Series - You look me in the eye and tell me that cow ain't cute ! >:/
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance - Sometimes simple is the best way to go.

PC Games

World of Warcraft - You say what you want, but statistics doesn't lie.
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - I define this as current gen.
Neverwinter Nights - One never got tired of making own stories and levels. Sharing your creation with your friends and having fun playing it togheter.
Knights of the Old Republic 1-2 - Even people who wasn't SW fans enjoyed this game.

Well one can pretty much go on a while on the pc section so I'll end it there.

Handheld

I didn't do as much handheld rpgs as i wanted to, as i pretty much see handelds as machines used to play a fast game or two here and there when you are waiting for something or have some spare time.

So I'll pretty much add the Harvest Moon games here and end it :)

Hmm maybe i should leave the complaining out but it just wouldn't be fun. So I'll try to keep it down to a few games :)

Dragon Quest 8 - What can I say, sure the story might be good. But honestly the game never gave me the chance to go that far. It was like playing a NES rpg with better graphics. And sure I might have enjoyd it when i was a little kid, but nowdays I just can't spare any of my already little gaming-time for something like that.

Radiata Stories - The artistic style was really nice, it really perked up the game. But everything else felt like a rerun, wich made me really sad as i was really hoping for it to go against the critics statements.

Paper Mario TTYD - Honestly, all you people saying this was even the least bit OK. I just want to ask, who supplied the lsd :p And i bought this piece of crap seeing people saying it's GOTY :/ Thank you >.<; !

Well, here I'll put an end to my rantings :) HopeI havn't offended anyone, if it by any means happend i did not mean to do so ^^;

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
paper mario 2.
mario & luigi: superstar saga.

i think, besides that, the only other one i played was ffx, and i would never go back and play it again. so the two above get the pass as "great."

Amir0x

Banned
Dark Cloud II
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne + Digital Devil Saga 1/2
Disgaea I/II
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Paper Mario 2
KOTOR
Suikoden III

<presume that FFXII and maybe VP:S can be added later>

Honorable, but not quite up to the above level of greatness:

DQVIII
Suikoden V
La Pucelle
Romancing SaGa
KOTOR II
Final Fantasy X

Great:

final fantasy x-
the most immersive rpg Ive played in terms of dialogue, character and world design, suspect ffxii might have something to say.

dragon quest 8-
great humour and dialogue, very much appreciate the cockney slang etc, alot of crawling though, and got bored of the item combining, the monster pit is excellent fun though.

digital devil saga-
different, dark.

Reasonable:

shadow hearts covenant-
not bad, irritating angst ridden protaginist with grating voice....the female soldier was a bit of a drip....the final villain was a huge unpleasant surprise...the campy wrestler was funny....I find surprising that anyone can consider this superior to ffx...it was inferior in every way for me, including production...still, it was good enough that I will pay attention to the devloper in the future

xenosaga- tedious, space soap opera plot...never completed...I played xenogears after this and I was pretty blown away, very nice complex and subtle plot...amazing twists and villains...irrirtating shitty gameplay on the whole, apart from the battle system...gah, I was lucky I played gears after, otherwise I might have been disappointed how this turned out.

suikoden 3: played ten minutes got bored, played no more.

peace

i'm gonna go with.....

-Dragon Quest 8
-Tales of the Abyss
-Growlanser V
-Growlanser IV
-Digital Devil Saga 1-2
-SMT III Nocturne
-Devil Summoner

Ranger X

Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest 8
Suikoden 5
Fire Emblem (on GBA US, don't remember if there's a subtitle)
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Oblivion
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2

Castlevania isn't an RPG. Action/platformer + rpg elements.

Parch

It was a great generation for RPG fans. Well, at least for the PS2. So much variety, so many hours of gameplay, but not enough time to absorb it all. It's going to be bargain bin heaven for a lot these gems.

I've played through many, but these 3 I without reservation deem "great" (and they also conveniently represent a variety of subgenres):

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Fire Emblem GBA

lyre

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

SMT3: Nocturne

Didn't play many RPGs this gen but didn't need to either.

eXistor

Awesome to the max:

DQVIII
Oblivion
BoF: Dragon Quarter
Radiata Stories
Baten Kaitos
Tales of Symphonia
KotoR
Suikoden V
Skies of Arcadia Legends
SMT: Nocturne
Tales of Eternia (not sure if this counts as a current-gen as it's a re-release)

Worth a playthrough:

Dark Cloud 2
Kotor 2
Jade Empire
Star Ocean 3
Ys: the Ark of Napishtim
Kingdom Hearts 2
Paper Mario: TTYD
FFX
FFX-2 (only if you've played FFX)
Shadow Hearts
SMT: DDS1 + 2
Suikoden III
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
PoPoLoCrois

Stay away from:

Atelier Iris
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Dark Cloud
Grandia III
Kingdom Hearts
UNLIMITED SaGa
Suikoden IV

Soon to be on the first two lists:

FFXII (could be a contender for my personal fave game)
Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
Contact

Should've been on the first list
Mother 3...I own two copies of the game, but I can't read a single word, so I'm still holdding out for a proper translation.

Beezy

Grizzlyjin said:
The correct answers for great / amazing / AAA / top of the line RPGS will be

281268b.jpg

and

938510b.jpg

Level 5 knows how to do it big.

That's good to hear. I bought both of them earlier this week. :D

Avalon

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.
Digital Devil Saga I and II.
Xenosaga Episode I, II and III.
Suikoden V.

So far, I think Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria will make my list of great RPGs (though that might change by the time I finish it).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
BrodiemanTTR said:
You are incorrect. Saturn/PS1/N64. Skies of Arcadia is on two current-gen systems, Dreamcast and GameCube.

Yup.

Abel

Im just going to generalize the games by series :) Hands down:

Xenosaga Series
MegaTen Series
Tales Series
Ys Series
Suikoden Series (yes even 4 :) )
FF Series (Minus 11 yuck and 12 havent played cept the demo and it gives me a FFXI Offline feel)
BoFV
Baten Kaitos Series

jeremy1456

These are the only ones which I consider worth playing:

Suikoden V
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Skies of Arcadia
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos
Dragon Quest VIII

Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne - Got me back in to Jrpgs after Final Fantasy X turned me off of them. Nocturne was the first Jrpg I enjoyed playing since Chrono Cross.

I knew I was in for something special the moment I watched the intro cutscene. The story, the setting, the battle system....everything was arefreshing changeofpace for me. I loved the Press turn Battle system, it didn't re-invent the wheel as far as Jrpg battle systems go, but combined with the SMT series typical difficulty the PT battle system made every random encounter something you had to pay attention to, otherwise you could get wiped out. I love how if you're prepared with the right demons and Magatama's you can play the game like a fiddle.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 - It offers everything that Nocturne did gameplay and story-wise, only it offered me more characters to get attatched to. I also found the battle system to be more addicting because of the Hunt skills which allowed me to power grind and plough through all of the skill sets in the game with a greater amount of ease.

Dragon Quest VIII - I'm about 37 hours in to this game, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Great
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (perfect)
King's Field: The Ancient City (total immersion)

Almost Great:
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (no fishing)
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (too easy)

Brofist

My favorites were:

FFX
FFXII
Nocturne
DQ8

I don't play RPGs like I used to. Hopefully the coming gen will respark my interest.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Far too many.
Only a few really offended my senses (Dragon Quarter, Dark Cloud I/II, Radiata Stories) and a few were only average (Megaman Command Mission, Star Ocean III and maybe some others I'm forgetting because they were average) but a lot were just too much fun. Wish I could get myself back into an RPG playing swing. Too much ****ing schoolwork though.

I really never would have thought the DS would be the RPG powerhouse it is slowly becoming with the PSP staggering behind terribly. I honestly thought it'd be the other way 'round. Alas.

Oh, biggest surprise was probably how much fun FFX-2 was. Really wasn't expecting much from it. Biggest disappointment was FFXII. Was expecting too much from it. :/

Finaika

Best
Skies of Arcadia

Great
Shadow Hearts II

Good
Xenosaga episode 1
Grandia III
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i bought sooooooo many less rpgs this generation. PSOne just had so many good ones. Especially from Square Enix. But these are my picks from the generation.

top tier:
Final Fantasy X
Dragon Quest VIII
Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria
Dark Cloud 2
Kingdom hearts/II
Disgaea

semi:
Final Fantasy X-2
Front Mission 4
Dark Cloud
Romancing Saga
Star Ocean 3
Suikoden Tactics
Xenosaga series
Wild Arms

and story wise (not gameplay):
.hack parts 1-4

most horrible rpg of generation:
Unlimited Saga

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
- Proven
FFX - The first RPG of this gen still stands up despite it's hiccups
DQVIII - Classic RPG gameplay while still being cutting edge with it's look and feel
KOTOR - The closest I've ever felt to actually "being" the character
VP - Sucked into my PSP for about 2 months
Star Ocean 3 - That battle system...something about Tri-Ace battle systems.

- Proving
VP2 - Currently sucking me into my PS2..probably for the next month before FFXII
Xenosaga 3 - Digging the hell out of the battle system and the return to roots. Pacing is horrible as shit though in the beginning.

- To be proved
FFXII - Is there even any doubt?
FFIII - Time to take Phoenix Wright out
Rogue Galaxy - Level 5? Space? Day 1 purchase
PSO Universe - Hi Network Adapter!

Sorry no GC love, but based on what I've seen I'd nominate
Fire Emblem
Baten Kaitos
Paper Mario

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yudaan said:
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

SMT3: Nocturne

Didn't play many RPGs this gen but didn't need to either.
you sure like your Pokemans!

Top Bottom