• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who is going to jump on Microsoft Flight Simulator ton Tuesday?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
As per title, who is going to grab the game next week?

I've loved the series since its earliest releases (I believe the first I had was on C-64? when I was a wee kid lol) so for me, it's a no brainer, but I'm curious to see how many will be drawn in by the pretty visuals.

If you're never played the series, here's a bit of advice: arm yourself with patience, because while Asobo has certainly tried to help with accessibility, some of the systems *will* be difficult to learn, especially if you want to fully enjoy everything the game has to offer.

Flight simulators can be extremely rewarding, and this is likely the best to jump onto from what we've seen so far in terms of accessibility, but that really doesn't mean it's *accessible* in the way other games intend accessibility.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but I feel that if you go in with the right (and patient) mindset, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

A game like Microsoft Flight Simulator is basically a hobby all on its own, especially if you start exploring third-party addons and features like VATSIM.

Incidentally, I'd keep an eye on this YouTuber. His videos are good and he's already doing a tutorial series:

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
not immediately but it'll be my go to meditate and chill game with podcasts and music over the coming years

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Does this have like a casual mode if I just wanna goof off? Flying around and crashing into stuff prob as much as I would interact with it.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'll keep an eye out and see how it performs, what are the DLC plans etc. then I might jump in a year or two from now.

They already said they're gonna have a series of free World Updates focusing on regions of the world with improved scenery, and Sim Updates with new features and gameplay improvements. Those will be free.

Then there will be official DLC linked to the sim updates, for instance if a sim update adds flyable helicopters, there may be a DLC with a bunch of additional helis.

And then there's gonna be third-party addons. There's already a hundred or more third-party devs registered, so there's gonna be a TON of those. Some won't be cheap, so may want to be selective with those. For instance, In expect PMDG's 737 to be in the ballpak of $75 on its own, but it's super-niche due to how complex it is, and you could say it's a game on its own lol. Most airports and simpler aircraft will likely to be much more affordable.

Does this have like a casual mode if I just wanna goof off? Flying around and crashing into stuff prob as much as I would interact with it.

It does, but I'm not sure I'd call that worth the purchase, personally. If you have game pass, then definitely it's a good way to try it and goof around.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
They already said they're gonna have a series of free World Updates focusing on regions of the world with improved scenery, and Sim Updates with new features and gameplay improvements. Those will be free.

Then there will be official DLC linked to the sim updates, for instance if a sim update adds flyable helicopters, there may be a DLC with a bunch of additional helis.

And then there's gonna be third-party addons. There's already a hundred or more third-party devs registered, so there's gonna be a TON of those. Some won't be cheap, so may want to be selective with those. For instance, In expect PMDG's 737 to be in the ballpak of $75 on its own, but it's super-niche due to how complex it is, and you could say it's a game on its own lol. Most airports and simpler aircraft will likely to be much more affordable.

It does, but I'm not sure I'd call that worth the purchase, personally. If you have game pass, then definitely it's a good way to try it and goof around.

yeah I have game pass

Krisprolls

Banned
I'll try it a bit because it looks gorgeous (I've got it downloaded with PC Gamepass), but with the lack of real goals and objectives in the "game" I already know I'll move on pretty fast.

Too bad they don't try to make a game mode with a pilot career or something like that.

GHG

Need to decide on a Hotas but I'm definitely buying the premium edition on Steam in the next couple of weeks.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to but then I saw the disk space requirements and noped the hell out of there.

xStoyax

Banned
It has a easy mode for those who want to just enjoy the scenery. Some places look ridiculously good as shown by tons of screenshots. Not every place looks like that tho, and some places look really bad. But considering they're trying to simulate the whole world, it's pretty incredible & great start

mcz117chief

I would mostly enjoy flying a rickety old duster around some farmlands in Alabama, a British Hurricane around Dover or a B-17 over Central Europe. The first for those chill moments and the second to see how the pilots might have felt during WW2.

edit: Also, how about the Polar regions? It would be pretty cool to fly over the Arctic or Antarctica.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I would definitely try this on XBox One X or the upcoming Series X. Has there been any mention of it being worked on for a console release?

SCB3

I've not played Flight Simulator since about 2003 ish, so kinda excited to jump in and give it a look, could be a nice chill game in time

MastAndo

Hell yeah - Game Pass at midnight. I'm going to give it a go with an Xbox controller to see if it has legs for me. If so, I'll invest in a flight stick or one of the cheaper yokes. I'm not too interested in the idea of a true flight sim, but exploring the world in that kind of visual fidelity sounds like a dream.

frostyxc

If I try Flight Simulator 2020, I'll realize that my computer is old, and then I'll want to build a new one. If I go through with a new build, I will forget why I built the new computer in the first place, get suicidal, and call @hariseldon the N-word in Call of Duty.

I don’t want that either (although the reason there is different : I don’t wash to be called the n word by 14-year-olds).
Being called a noob is no joke, it can crush a man.

I'm ready for Tuesday. I just hope I wont fall into slippery slope of buying peripherals that I'll use few times and then they will collect dust in the corner...

Last edited:
I'm landing on my street and parking in my driveway with a Dreamliner if it's the last thing I do.

Last edited:

april6e

Eh, I'll get the install done and try it out for an hour. But I'm waiting for VR to be available before I really put time into the game.

I'm gonna try it out. Not sure why we can't pre install yet. Final size is 127GB.

A piece of software of this scope and scale will more than likely have massive changes made to it right up until the day it launches so pre loading then doing a 100GB update before launch isn't really worth it. I imagine even now the engineers are still fine-tuning every aspect of the control surfaces and systems based on early access player input from experienced pilots. I'm guessing only the core components of the program were installed when I did the pre-install and the rest will be installed on the 17th before it officially launches.

This program has to be as accurate as possible at launch of it will be ripped to shreds by the program's intended audience, really particular and picky middle-aged people with a lot of free time and money to burn. They will buy $20 DLC airplanes and airports and build flight rigs that they can use to escape the fact that they will never be a real pilot, their wives are cheating on them and their children will grow up to be failures. This program has to run properly on launch day as it's not a mere game, it's a substitute for fixing up an old muscle car or building a scale model train set in the basement.

I'm still going to try to land a jet in a baseball stadium though.

Top Bottom