• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of Good News About the New Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 from FlighSimExpo 2023

nemiroff

Gold Member
Microsoft Flight Simulator Presentation from FlightSimExpo 2023

Edit: In case people missed it; Every "+" is a clickable youtube timestamp for those who are interested in the reference.
Also, images are cropped directly from the 720p video, hence the low quality.

+ MSFS2020 reached 12 million unique users (not copies) in 3 years. As a comparison it took MS FSX 16 years to reach 5 million UUs.
+ Users are as they see it "3 million core simmers, 3 million core gamers, and the rest casuals"
+ In 33 months since the MSFS2020 launch, they've done 33 updates
+ Flight Simulator 2020 has been a "big hit", and it has resulted in growing studio sizes and partners, there are now 15+ official partners

naA6Liy.png

+ Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is the biggest undertaking ever in flight simulation
+There are over 500 people working on the new title (175 at Asobo, plus Microsoft, plus partners)
+ From the feedback they've received, everyone wants more stuff to do, so for 2024 they're adding a lot more activities. And because "we're not a game" all of them are accurate aviation activities.

w24fAxR.png

+ There are many deep core changes, hence a new title. They are focusing on making the app itself smaller in size (they're focusing on "thin clients" as they call it), which means MSFS2024 will take a lot less space on people's drives.
This also means that downloads, updates and loadtimes will be faster than in MSFS2020. More assets will be kept in the cloud this time (f.ex. the way they handle textures). "Everything will be faster" for the user experience.

KnyQFZ6.png

+ New physics and aerodynamics engine

H0lGGSl.png

GWggSph.png

6OMilcH.png

- More detailed and accurate flight simulation.
- Creators will have a lot more control when creating aircrafts, including a physics engine with a bigger pipeline for more powerful and accurate flight model calculations.
- Will lead to a lot more realistic aircraft simulations.
- The physics engine will now f.ex. be able to simulate balloon flights, zeppelins, parachuting etc., and with realistic deformation physics.
- Engine has been rewritten for much better multi-threading resulting in "massive performance improvements".

t8okcVI.png

Example of inflating a balloon. Link

+ New and improved systems

NzkXpnV.png

+ There's going to be a lot more ground terrain detail in MSFS2024. They'll now run additional machine learning detection on the surface to generate more complex and realistic ground.

Before
GQp0lMT.png

After
zALybsZ.png

+ Improved "Static World". They've developed better tools to convert satellite imagery from "2D to 3D". This is to solve the challenge of not always having access to high quality data everywhere on the planet.
- Improved ground details
- 3D tesselated ground materials
- Enhanced tree diversity
- Improved cliffs

+Improved "Dynamic World"
- Full seasons
- Aurora borealis
- Tornados
- Storms

+Improved "Living World"
- Animal heards and migration
- Worldwide live ship traffic
- Accurate live air traffic
- Improved vehicle traffic

There are other stuff coming as well, obviously more aircrafts and updated cities.

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_01-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_03-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_09-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_05-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_08-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_10-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:
Nice I cant wait, been playing FS2020 like mad on my xbox. One feature I wish the game had was replay. If you are making content for YT, its all up to you to keep changing angles wtc to make it more interesting to watch.

So this is a whole new game and not an expansion?

Isn't that strange when we only got Flight Sim a few years ago?

They really need to improve the way the game downloads and installs. I see some things mentioned about that. I can't actually install Flight Sim anymore.... it's about 100GB+ and the servers are so shit it downloads so slowly and then it takes forever to decompress. Last time I tried it took me about 15 minutes to download 2GB. My internet is up to about 270Mb/s so it's not that.

I can't get excited until I know this is fixed because I'm not buying something I can't even install.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Looks amazing, hopefully they have improved some of the ground interpolation stuff, like cranes and parking lots. Does sound and look from the screenshots that the ground level is much more detailed.

Gambit2483

So this is a whole new game and not an expansion?

Isn't that strange when we only got Flight Sim a few years ago?

They really need to improve the way the game downloads and installs. I see some things mentioned about that. I can't actually install Flight Sim anymore.... it's about 100GB+ and the servers are so shit it downloads so slowly and then it takes forever to decompress. Last time I tried it took me about 15 minutes to download 2GB. My internet is up to about 270Mb/s so it's not that.

I can't get excited until I know this is fixed because I'm not buying something I can't even install.

It really is a piece of shit system. It's the one thing I truly dislike about the game

This was one of my favorite reveals this year. I have hundreds of hours flying in Flight Sim, it never gets old finding new places to explore. The new activities look like they'll be a lot of fun and a good challenge.

The installer is a massive piece of shit though and I dread updating my game because of it.

was reading the wiki page and it says it will have "multithreading for better performance"

fuck yeah. that's all i ever wanted

.... not really. If this is a sequel then it's pretty standard actually. Flight Sim was in 2020, this sequel is coming out in 2024. pretty standard time between entries all things considered
Maybe because it was 16 years between FSX and 2020 but yeah looking at the release timeline this seems to be a one off as before that the main titles released every few years.

If they fix the download/install issues then that alone will be worth buying it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The last one was really an incredible achievement and it's no surprise to me that they broke through some audience barriers that previous entries never could. I played it a lot when it first came out and exploring the world felt especially gratifying when so much of the world was shut down.

I am surprised they are doing a whole new title so "soon" given how cutting age that foundation still is and how much has been added with updates, but this breakdown makes it pretty clear that they have big goals. I will definitely be playing this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Microsoft Flight Simulator Presentation from FlightSimExpo 2023

+ MSFS2020 reached 12 million unique users (not copies) in 3 years. As a comparison it took MS FSX 16 years to reach 5 million UUs.
+ "3 million core simmers, 3 million core gamers, and the rest casuals"
+ 33 months, 33 updates
+ Flight Simulator 2020 has been a "big hit". Has resulted in growing studio sizes and 15+ official partners

naA6Liy.png

+ Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is the biggest undertaking ever in flight simulation
+There are over 500 people working on Flight Simulator 2024 (175 at Asobo, plus Microsoft, plus partners)
+ Everyone wants more stuff to do, so they are adding a lot more activities. Because "we're not a game" all of them are accurate aviation activities.

w24fAxR.png

+ The app itself will be smaller in size. A lot of architecture changes, more stuff is kept in the cloud (f.ex. textures). "Everything will be faster" for the user experience.

KnyQFZ6.png

+ New physics and aerodynamics engine

H0lGGSl.png

GWggSph.png

6OMilcH.png

Will lead to a lot more realistic aircraft simulation.
Will now f.ex. be able to simulate balloon flights, parachuting etc. with visually realistic deformation.
Engine rewritten for better multi-threading resulting in "massive performance improvements".

t8okcVI.png

Example of inflating a balloon. Link

+ New and improved systems

NzkXpnV.png

+ A LOT more ground terrain detail. They'll now run additional machine learning detection on the surface to generate more complex and realistic ground.

Before
GQp0lMT.png

After
zALybsZ.png

+ Improved "Static World". Better tools to convert satellite imagery, "2D to 3D".
Improved ground details
3D tesselated ground materials
Enhanced tree diversity
Improved cliffs

+Improved "Dynamic World"
Full seasons
Aurora borealis
Tornados
Storms

+Improved "Living World"
Animal heards and migration
Worldwide live ship traffic
Accurate live air traffic
Improved vehicle traffic

There are other stuff coming as well, obviously more aircrafts and updated cities.

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_01-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_03-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_09-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_05-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_08-1024x576.jpg

MSFS_Limitless_Screenshot_10-1024x576.jpg

This is astounding, just amazing 🤩.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The last one was really an incredible achievement and it's no surprise to me that they broke through some audience barriers that previous entries never could. I played it a lot when it first came out and exploring the world felt especially gratifying when so much of the world was shut down.

I am surprised they are doing a whole new title so "soon" given how cutting age that foundation still is and how much has been added with updates, but this breakdown makes it pretty clear that they have big goals. I will definitely be playing this.

Yeah, I think every one of us was surprised and kinda confused at the reveal..

But yeah the more information comes out the more logical a new title becomes. Flight simulators have always been a semi-indie effort. But now with MSFS2020 being a success and more than 500 people working on MSFS2024, they have confidently brought it firmly into the big AAA leagues. So a "brand new" title seems more than appropriate. Moreover, there are so many core changes being put into this that it would be odd if they didn't make it a new title. Also, by the time MSFS2024 comes out it'll be more than four years since MSFS2020 came out.

Oh, and also, there are hard bugs in the core of 2020 that they can't do anything about without rewriting the engine..

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Man, I should really take the dive into Ms flight sim. I hear wonderful things.
Who knows, perhaps you should.

And btw, it's THE best experience in VR anywhere, no joke - At least if you have the appropriate hardware to run it.

Anyway, if you're on PC and you find out that you like it, consider investing in a TrackIR device, it'll make the experience so much better.

Last edited:
Who knows, perhaps you should.

And btw, it's THE best experience in VR anywhere, no joke - At least if you have the appropriate hardware to run it.

Anyway, if you're on PC and you find out that you like it, consider investing in a TrackIR device, it'll make the experience so much better.
I'm sincerely contemplating getting a pilots license, so Ms flight sim in vr seems like it would be extremely useful. The whole set up, vr and all, is like the equivalent of less than 5 hours of actual flight time

Top Bottom