• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, why does the PSP have more RPG remakes than any other system ever?

randomkid

I might be wrong, but I came up with the list below off the top of my head and with two minutes of googling. And I'm missing a bunch I'm sure (I'll add more if people post others).

Tactics Ogre
Persona
Persona 2
Persona 3
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Ys 1 and 2
Ys 3
Legend of Heroes III
Legend of Heroes IV
Legend of Heroes V
Sora no Kiseki FC
Sora no Kiseki SC
Sora no Kiseki TC
oreshika (over my dead body)
suikoden 1 and 2
devil summoner
princess crown
final fantasy tactics
final fantasy
final fantasy 2
final fantasy 4
lunar
venus and braves
valkyrie profile
star ocean 1
star ocean 2
riviera
knights in the nightmare
yggdra union
growlanser
growlanser 4
popolocrois
phantom brave

Even if you remove the enhanced ports, still a shitload! Here's what I came up with for DS in comparison.

dragon quest 4
dragon quest 5
dragon quest 6
chrono trigger
ff3
ff4
Ys 1 and 2
lufia 2
rhapsody
hoshigami
front mission
disgaea
saga 2
saga 3
pokemon heartgold/soul silver
xenosaga 1 and 2
mystery dungeon: shiren
shiren 2
fire emblem: shadow dragon
fire emblem: new mystery of the emblem
Megaman Battle Network
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Lord of Elemental
Summon Night
Summon Night 2
Jagged Alliance
maybe some western stuff?

I don't think PS2 had that many, maybe the original Playstation did? Or maybe Windows?

So what's the deal? Cheap development costs? Moribund Japanese game industry? A bigger potential pool to choose from these days? It's still kind of bizarre to me.

Aeana

I wouldn't call a bunch of those remakes. Ports of PSX games to PSP turned out to be pretty easy, I guess?

Cwarrior

secret is most of them aren't remakes

Company's focusing on making ports/remakes on the psp is something haven't been happy about.

making original games is hard so they take the lazy route to make money.

KaYotiX

Banned
Main reason i love the PSP is becasue of all the RPGs and PS1 RPGs coming to the system.

Handheld RPG greatness when you have the 3DS/DSi and PSP

randomkid

Yeah like I said, even if you remove the tons and tons of ports, there's still a lot of remakes left. And it's funny to me that of all the big RPG systems, PSP ended up with so many ports and enhanced ports anyways. And is still getting them!

Both major handhelds are really the place to be for JRPGs, and have been for the past 3+ years.

And I'm definitely not complaining, as long as companies bring them to the US.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
neptunes said:
how many of those games are downloadable on PSN? just curious

If you include all regions, these on the top of my head (I excluded the unreleased ones):

Tactics Ogre
Persona
Persona 2
Persona 3
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Ys 1 and 2
Ys 3
Sora no Kiseki FC
Sora no Kiseki TC
final fantasy
final fantasy 2
final fantasy 4
lunar
venus and braves
riviera
knights in the nightmare
yggdra union
phantom brave

cj_iwakura

onQ123 said:
I said the other day that PSP might be the best RPG Handheld / Console

No ifs about it. The only thing the DS does better is dungeon crawlers, and I still prefer Persona on the PSP.
(Not counting VNs, like 999 and PW; DS is perfect for those.)

Imagine if Strange Journey had been a PSP game.

Part of the reason is production costs.

Once the UMD movie market cratered, the price Sony was offering for UMD disc printing went down a lot; it's much, much less expensive to publish on the PSP than it is on the DS and so it's a lot easier to make money on the PSP even with low sales volume. It's one of the great ironies that Sony will be doing away with this for the NGP, as the NGP will lose on the charm points the PSP has had with smaller developers.

It's also been a cycle in Japan at this point; the PSP got some ports, people picked it up 'cause it was cheap and they had disposable income, it got more ports, more people bought it, etc etc. The PSP is a huge success in Japan now, and bigger releases can actually expect to sell six-figures handily. (And since the PSP isn't as expensive to develop for, six-figures still means you rake in a hefty profit.)

Basically, ports are happening because it's inexpensive on multiple levels, Sony can't really say no because the PSP needs a library to survive, and the consumers keep buying 'em.

randomkid

Gunloc said:
And I'm definitely not complaining, as long as companies bring them to the US.

Yeah, I'm still pretty annoyed we never got Devil Summoner, Suikoden or Princess Crown. And the future doesn't look good for Oreshika (which looks SO good!) or Venus and Braves either.

Aeana

cj_iwakura said:
No ifs about it. The only thing the DS does better is dungeon crawlers, and I still prefer Persona on the PSP.
(Not counting VNs, like 999 and PW; DS is perfect for those.)

Imagine if Strange Journey had been a PSP game.
And imagine if all of those other great DS games had been PSP games.
It doesn't have to be a competition. Both have great games.

As for imagining if Strange Journey had been a PSP game, all I see is a headache as I try to check the map.

Takao

Banned
SpaceDrake said:
It's one of the great ironies that Sony will be doing away with this for the NGP, as the NGP will lose on the charm points the PSP has had with smaller developers.

No they aren't. NGP's downloadable content will be considerably more pronounced than the PSP's ever was. This will provide a market for those, and the success could be release physically later on (as the case with Acquire's Wizardry PS3 games).

cj_iwakura

Aeana said:

As for imagining if Strange Journey had been a PSP game, all I see is a headache as I try to check the map.

Point, but it could have had really stellar production values if they'd made a PSP game out of it. They did work wonders on the DS though, all told.

Prophane33

Don't forget Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner. Remake/Port of the Saturn game. I gotta get around to beating that one day, I have the guide so I really have no excuse.

randomkid

SpaceDrake said:
Basically, ports are happening because it's inexpensive on multiple levels, Sony can't really say no because the PSP needs a library to survive, and the consumers keep buying 'em.
This all makes sense, it's just interesting cuz you look at that huge port/remake list and you'd think the PSP's original RPG library would be RIDICULOUS. But it's not really at Super Famicom/PS1/PS2 levels (at least to me). Who knows though, awesome new RPGs keep getting announced, maybe by the very very end things will get closer.
Aeana said:
Yep.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
cj_iwakura said:
Point, but it could have had really stellar production values if they'd made a PSP game out of it. They did work wonders on the DS though, all told.
why does being on PSP automatically means bigger production values?

Apath

Error said:
why does being on PSP automatically means bigger production values?
Higher resolution and more 'modern' tech that can be utilized? Dunno. I'd assume it would be higher costs, but I don't know anything about anything.

cj_iwakura

Prophane33 said:
Don't forget Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner. Remake/Port of the Saturn game. I gotta get around to beating that one day, I have the guide so I really have no excuse.

It's a pretty ugly game, and has not aged well. Good music, though.

DiscoJer

Because in many ways, it's the ideal platform for them.

It's advanced enough to handle PS2 games (with minimal downgrade, at least for RPGs) but not so advanced that games would be that expensive to remake on. And because the screen size and resolution is sort of in a sweet spot, PS1 (or even SNES) graphics look pretty nice on it.

Beyond that, the media is cheaper (and quicker) to make than cartridges (this is gonna hurt the NGP bad, I think). And while they probably aren't huge, thanks to PSN, games have a long tail.

So companies aren't risking as much money out of pocket when they remake/port a game. I think the cut Sony wants might be less, 70/30 instead of Nintendo's 65/35 (I might be wrong, though)

onQ123

SpaceDrake said:
Part of the reason is production costs.

Once the UMD movie market cratered, the price Sony was offering for UMD disc printing went down a lot; it's much, much less expensive to publish on the PSP than it is on the DS and so it's a lot easier to make money on the PSP even with low sales volume. It's one of the great ironies that Sony will be doing away with this for the NGP, as the NGP will lose on the charm points the PSP has had with smaller developers.

no they won't! because of PS3-PSN ports , Iphone\Android multi-plats , PlayStation Suite , PSP\Minis all downloadable

jackdoe

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
WHAT! the DS had a XENOSAGA 1 and 2 Remake for it! WTF! for real? need more info.
It never came out in the US sadly. But I do remember it expanding on the Ziggy story if I'm not mistaken.

cj_iwakura

Xenosaga fans wanted it here, but I recall hearing that XS1&2 DS was not that good. Very much a cliff notes version of both games. (For 2, that's doing you a favor.)

randomkid

Wikipedia browsing is pretty interesting, added a couple more to the DS list, why didn't I know Shiren was actually an SNES game?

rpmurphy

randomkid said:
Wikipedia browsing is pretty interesting, added a couple more to the DS list, why didn't I know Shiren was actually an SNES game?
Also, the GBC Shiren got remade for the DS. You are also missing two Fire Emblem remakes.

DS had remakes of Megaman Battle Network, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Lord of Elemental and Summon Night 1-2. All stayed Japan only though.

There's also the two Fire Emblem remakes.

Prophane33 said:
Don't forget Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner. Remake/Port of the Saturn game.
Not even, it's an emulated Saturn game on a UMD. So was Princess Crown PSP.

B.K.

cj_iwakura said:
Xenosaga fans wanted it here, but I recall hearing that XS1&2 DS was not that good. Very much a cliff notes version of both games. (For 2, that's doing you a favor.)

Xenosaga I&II really wasn't that bad. It was definitely worth playing just for the changes they made to the Episode II half of the game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think the OP comprise 60% of my PSP backlog, so many more games to play so little time :\

It's funny how I used to hate all the ports on remakes on this system, I slowly started accepting it, then it became the reasons why I love it so much. It's hard to find quality Japanese games like those nowadays.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
cj_iwakura said:

Oh yeah, it was awful. I managed to make it through to the half-way point because I wanted to play absolutely EVERYTHING related to the Xeno-verse, but... the hallways weren't nearly pretty enough to make up for the fact that you have to walk down them forever. So much cutting and pasting of featureless rooms. That's not even getting onto the stripped down gameplay and weird story changes...

Anyway, I counted and 8 of my 21 PSP games are remakes (of course, not ALL of my PSP games are RPGs, just most of them... it is what the system does best after all.) I guess that's a good chunk of them. Most of them came out in the early in the system's life though, and I didn't mind too much then since I managed to grab some PS1 games I had missed the first time around.

More for DS (ports and remakes)

Eliminage DS Remix
Eliminage II DS Remix
Front Mission 2089
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
Jaseiken Necromancer: Nightmare Reborn (DSiWare)
Mazes of Fates DS
Megaman Battle Network 5 Double Team
Orcs & Elves
Tengai Makyo II: Manjimaru
Zenonia (DSiWare)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tengai Makyo: The Apocalypse IV also got a PSPort...

<3 PSP, lists like the one above are the reason why it's quickly becoming my favorite system this gen.

Top Bottom