• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, why exactly did Microsoft wait this long to reveal the Xbox One?

The conference didn't contain much substance at all.

I guess they wanted to wait and show off next-gen CoD?

I can't think of any other reason why this couldn't have been done earlier in the year. That, or the Xbox One project is extremely down to the wire and behind schedule.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't think this is late really. It just might feel that way because Sony went early.

They fucked up because they only talked about TV crap when it's freaking 2013 and most of us use Netflix/Hulu/youtube now.

EA showed a trailer about crap no one cares about, Activision showed CoD: Ghosts and talked about a fucking dog for 5 minutes.

Then it got worse for them after we got to know about the "fee" and how it needs connection reguarly, they basically fucked up in the worst way possible for the people that are watching, the core. Keeping Live was the icing for the cake.

I'd ask what they did right, and the answer is NOTHING

Looking at what they actually showed, I don't think they where ready. The schizophrenic nature of the whole presentation and PR just makes it seem like everything is still in flux.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They probably didn't expect Sony when they did theirs, and wanted to get it out of the way for E3.

jackrubyn

What about the AI system that made the fish swim away when you got close in COD: Ghosts? That had to take time to implement.

lol If Xbox One went first and then Sony afterwards with PS4....

Well lets just say there would be more buzz for PS4 after the reveal if the reveal went as they did for both consoles.

I think there could be a couple of factors. One, they wanted to have their console design and Kinect functionality completed and ready to show off - this might not have been occurred until recently. Two, they wanted to wait until closer to E3 so that they could continue building momentum just 3 weeks later rather than months later like in Sony's case.

Steroyd

Imagine the backlash over the past 24 hours, spread over 3 months.

Especially if they kept as quiet about the specific details of these features as they did the rumours.

sdornan

I remember reading rumors before today that they've been months behind schedule in development. I wouldn't doubt it after today's event.

Orca

They showed off the box, the controller, the UI, and the ability to switch between TV/internet/games quickly. They showed the new Kinect usability, intro'd three or four EA games with a bunch of talk about their new engine for next gen, a new IP from Remedy, the Halo TV show with Spielberg, revealed Forza 5 for launch, talked TV interaction functionality, and teased a bunch of other games with the tiles they showed during the UI portion. They also showed the latest game from the biggest gaming property of all time to close the show.

That's not bad for an hour. People may have had ridiculous expectations.

Rhindle

The whole thing looks incredibly rushed, like it was slapped together in the course of a week. Including the console design.

Sean

Banned
Xbox 360 was revealed May 13, 2005 so it's pretty much the same time frame/strategy as last gen. Only difference is that Sony revealed earlier this time around.

Brokun

They probably weren't prepared.

I seem to recall that Kaz kept talking about a 10 year life for the PS3. It's been less than 7, so I'm sure when Sony prepared the announcement in February Microsoft was thinking, "...already? but but but..."

Dennis

Banned
Remember in school when you had to do an assignment but you waited until the last minute because you knew it was going to get a bad grade?

BadAss2961

They were likely working on finalizing the UI and the corresponding OS functionality.
Crazy how the design of the UI is exactly the same as what they've been pushing on 360.

I was at least expecting some sort of new, sleeker look.

I think they are significantly behind schedule and had to rush to get this presentation out of the way. I'm sure there were supposed to be more games slated to be shown that had to get cut.

That said, they've probably planned for a constant drip of information/marketing from here to E3 and onwards to keep it fresh on everyone's minds-- ie. saving up details so there is enough to spread between now and launch.

Alx

I think they could have made that presentation in March indeed, even if they were late on their schedule, it was mostly trailers anyway.
I suppose they pushed it back to have a shorter time between it and E3, so that the wait for the games is less frustrating. I would have been mad to have the same no-show of interesting games and then have to wait for three months to see things relevant to my interests. At least now it's only three weeks.

Rhindle

At this point, I'm worried about what we're going to see at E3 - three weeks from now. Will we even get playable demos of anything?

Perkel

Banned
CGIs don't make themselves. /s

frankly i wonder that too. I think they planned it for E3 but they were surprised by move from Sony and how they will focus whole E3 on PS4 games instead of console reveal.

Bedlam

Isn't that standard stuff though? "Look at how many more polygons we can fit in our games with this new amazing hardware!"
Not really. I've never seen those kind of models demoed at a press event. That's something you'd see in modding communities, posted in forums or on youtube.

Top Bottom