• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...will Battlefield 1 have Premium? I'm super confused.

flkraven

I remember when I preordered Battlefield 4 I was offered Premium immediately. Likewise, I was asked if I wanted to add premium the day I picked up my preorder. Now I'm looking at both the digital and physical preorder options and none of them even mention Battlefield Premium. Is this not a thing anymore? If it is, am I going to get ripped for it later?

The only preorder options are Standard and Deluxe. Standard is the base game (obviously). Deluxe includes:

"Battlefield 1 Early Enlister Deluxe Edition includes the Red Baron Pack and the Lawrence of Arabia Pack - containing themed weapons, vehicles and items. Plus five Battlepacks containing combinations of items. Exchanges the visual appearance on three of the largest vehicles in the game. This Early Enlister edition allows you to play Battlefield 1 three days earlier starting from October 18. Experience the dawn of all-out war in Battlefield 1."

I'm confused, but this sounds like a whole bunch of nothing. An extra $20 for playing 3 days early and some skins? When I bought BF4 I got the first DLC for free simply because I preordered it. I want to get the Standard version + Premium bundle, if that is still a thing. Have they said anything about this?

For those that don't know, Battlefield Premium is basically the season pass + extras.

Theorry

Hopefully they've learned that releasing paid map packs just splits the playerbase.

They haven't

Thats the reason i wont buy it anymore. Bought it for BF3, BF4 and Hardline.
DLC maps are dead after 2 weeks. Sure the content isnt bad and "value for money"
But is it really? Because that value is gone after 2 weeks except for the weapons and gadgets.

I always just assumed that the Premium part was now part and parcel to Battlefield releases. I cant imagine them throwing that potential revenue stream away. I used to play with a bunch of hardcore bf4 (this was mainline, they also play other BF) players and they always go premium on day one. I imagine others are the same.

Pastry

Banned
DLC maps are dead after 2 weeks. Sure the content isnt bad and "value for money"
But is it really? Because that value is gone after 2 weeks except for the weapons and gadgets.

But I still regularly play on BF4 DLC. Last Stand, Naval Assault, Second Assault are still all popular packs.

Theorry

But I still regularly play on BF4 DLC. Last Stand, Naval Assault, Second Assault are still all popular packs.

Sure you can find them. But not like the first weeks and then 90% of the community is back to vanilla because there is the largets playerbase and have bigger map rotation. Instead of the same 3/4 maps.
Also remember the mappacks are now free the last couple of weeks. Wich gives abit of a boost. But when they just got out it was fun for 2 weeks and then it was a ghost town.

USF

You must be talking about PC version

Theorry

You must be talking about PC version

No console. And like i said above. Atm its not really representative. Because the maps are free the last weeks. So atm its probably quite busy. Back when they released it was oke for 2 weeks and then it was all back to Lockers, Zavod etc.

Xav

lol, season passes.

After Halo 5's fantastic post game support, I ain't paying for map packs again.

You can bet your ass they will. They have made millions off the sales of the season passes. Bf4 had probably the best season pass of all time as well.

Theorry

lol, season passes.

Wich they could easily do with BF1 also. They have it already in place with Battlepacks. And with all the content in the base game with soldiers, vehicles, weapons. They can go nuts with customization and with paid battlepacks and maybe some dlc with weapons. But keep those maps free. Maybe they even make more money then with Premium. Looking at Halo 5 for example.

Restricted content DLC and season passes I just won't pay for. Splitting the playerbase up and destroying the longevity of your game for many of your users is just foolish as can be. I wish more people stopped buying them so they would change their strategies.

Aters

20 more brand new maps like BF4? Yes please.
I do hope they can find a new business model though, like Rainbow Six Siege. There is no difficulty finding DLC servers on PS4, but DLC Rush server? Not very popular.

5taquitos

20 more brand new maps like BF4? Yes please.
I do hope they can find a new business model though, like Rainbow Six Siege. There is no difficulty finding DLC servers on PS4, but DLC Rush server? Not very popular.

It's even worse if your prefer hardcore mode. The only DLC map that gets played is Metro, otherwise it's pure vanilla.

Titanfall DLC is free and that is also EA. Maybe Battlefield goes the same route. What is it...80 days until release and we haven't hear anything about Premium?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
With all of the cosmetic bonuses I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change up to how the monetization will work. Could be something like Rainbow Six Siege where there is a Premium sub with bonuses but much of the money will be made from cosmetic microtransactions.

gossi

If it follows the pattern of prior Battlefield 3 and 4, they will announce soon at Gamescom. It's a business thing - get people to pre-order the 'day one' extra versions at announcement, they double dip again later for Premium.

Simo

Premium was a bust for Hardline, but BF3 and BF4 were always very populated.

Yep which is why I'll grab it again for BF1. It was actually worth it for BF3 and BF4.

Gamescom looks to be when they'l announce it like others have said, along with news on the open beta.

Akoi

I really really hope there's no pack, and they release free new content like the old days, or they do what ubisoft is doing with siege and release the maps for free and the guns and perks should be premium.

i've literally never had an issue finding a game on any of the dlc's on ps4. always tons of people playing still. bf4 is so much fucking fun.

lol, season passes.

Not a popular opinion, but I'd rather pay for maps than have forge/map-editor tier free maps and consumables in the new modes.

Siege, Halo and Overwatch's model would be great to see, but then we'd have to be paying for skins and stuff which EA might assume would upset people who expect that to be free after the last few games. Plus, Skins aren't nearly as interesting in Battlefield as other games. No, I think we'll be seeing the Premium model out in full force.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im sure it'll have premium. It'd be nice if it didn't, avoiding a fractured playbase. Especially since I have this lingering gut feeling the PC audience will drop off unusually fast and return to Battlefield 4. But at the very least unlike Hardline and Battlefront the mainline Battlefield games haven't had many issues with season pass fragmentation. On PC pretty much everyone Ib knew bought the season pass for BF4 by default.

HariKari

Maps and modes should probably be free, but that leaves charging for guns, and DICE is notorious for making DLC weapons OP.

Premium probably makes EA a good chunk of money but I wish they'd focus more on building communities around these games.

J_Viper

After Battlefront's DLC, I sure as hell won't be buying another DICE Season Pass ever again.

They don't seem understand how to implement DLC into rotation alongside vanilla maps. Tying each DLC Map Pack to its own playlist is the dumbest fucking thing.

TMWNN35

Premium in BF games sucks, it was the main reason I didn't play as much BF4 as BF3 (I came late to the BF3 party and got if for a song with prem included).

If they excluded maps from the premium package and just made it about weapons and camo's etc (and maybe cut the price a tad to like $30 max) then I could get behind it.

locking maps and game modes away from your players behind a $$$ wall is fucking dumb.

Schlorgan

It took a good while after the games launch before Titanfall's DLC went free.

I think he means Titanfall 2. They announced that all maps would be free from the start for that game.

Garden Warfare 2 and Need For Speed 2015 also got free DLC (though NFS didn't have any microtransactions).

The last few years EA has waiting until the last month or two before announcing BF Premium.

BF1 will more then likely be exactly the same.

Top Bottom