• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soapbox: The Week After PS5's Showcase, Sony Told Us Nothing About Its Next-Gen Console

Yeah Sony is being really weird, I'm not liking the new leadership team behind the brand, they're definitely a far cry from the 2013 team behind the PlayStation 4. We've got like 46 days until the console releases and we really know nothing about it, we haven't seen the hardware, we have no idea what features it has if any, how the UI is, if they've made any tangible improvements etc.

It's bizarre.

Its simple actually, if they aint showing it its because its not hitting what they wanna hit. If it did, theyd be shouting loud and proud.

geordiemp

That's the thing. People have see the new xbox running games. Just not any games designed for it. Hardware is now in reviewers hands but they are under nda at the moment.

Sony have shown ratchet and clank using a few new features, but not a single person outside of sony has had hands on actual final hardware.

Youtubers get them ina week or so in Japan.

Do sony have to be on the same timetable as Xbox, ? Sony will do their reveals at their discretion.

Last edited:
It could all be money related. Perhaps they don't want to cannibalize PS4 sales at all, as that console makes them an amount of money that the PS5 -- based on the rumored manufacturing cost by Bloomberg -- won't be making for them at launch. So for example, if they make $120 on each PS4 sold but are only going to be making $20 on each PS5 sold, it makes sense to try and make as many $120's as possible before that well starts to dry up as a direct result of people forgoing the PS4 and waiting for the PS5 to be in stock.

Or maybe they have their communications and product rollout all figured out, and all of that stuff is planned to start in October? Their strategy could be to have the entire month before launch be a month of just PS5 stuff -- no PS4, no PSVR, just all PS5. They could be planning to hand out coverage exclusives in the same way they did the Wired exclusive. In any case, I think if we still haven't seen the UI + console and controller features (e.g. Create button) by mid-October then at that point, it would be fair to assume that something has gone horribly awry with the PS5 behind the scenes.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Youtubers get them ina week or so in Japan.

Do sony have to be on the same timetable as Xbox, ? Sony will do their reveals at their discretion.

Reminds me when the XSX and XSS prices leaked and people were complaining Sony hadn't shown prices the same day.

fersnake

another cry cry thread? first off ppl bitching about this doesnt have a ps5 pre order so it doesnt matter if they release it, you guys are not gonna play it at launch so just wait a little bit if you dont like the UI dont buy it.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Told us nothing is ridiculous. 3D audio, adaptive triggers, what accessories work and don’t work, a complete deep dive into the architecture by Cerny and the best first party launch lineup in the history of gaming.

These sites are just salty they aren’t getting a free console. Sony doesn’t need the publicity.

Why should they show anything? The PS5 is selling out weeks/months in advance on pre-orders alone, despite all those things they do supposedly wrong (pre-orders, Pricing of games, lack of communication, the whole spiderman upgrade thing, etc etc.). So for them things are going pretty good without showing too much really. But its in-line with their approach towards PS5 as a lifestyle brand opposed to the service based approach of MS. In the Lifestyle segment Hype and scarcity (whether real or artificial doesn´t play really a role), momentum, influencer reach, temporary resellvalues, etc. play a much bigger role than in "classic gaming". And Sony clearly trying to expand Playstation as a lifestyle brand beyond games (no matter if casual or core) more than ever.

They pretty much could´ve made a teardown, an UI showing, all those things already. But for what they try to acchieve paying 5 to 6 digit sums to travis scott (maybe bit less, maybe bit more, just taking his wifeys social media post pricing into consideration) for a picture with a controller instead of producing a teardown video themselves or show off the UI seems more beneficial. Because one thing creates masshype and the other things satisfirs only a small portion of people who already made up their minds... compared to one another of course.

I don´t get the whiny attitude which surrounds this generational transit on the consumer side... If one doesn´t like what one sees or doesn´t agree with the way he as a potential customer is treated, well don´t buy the product you are not satisfied. But just blowing out false entitlement towards multibillion dollar corporations on onlineforums is just... well at least i answered so i guess im part of the problem as well...

Last edited:

TonyK

As a digital owner is very important for me to know how they will improve the digital library, because what we have now in PS4 is trash compared with, for example, GOG galaxy 2 or Steam.

I want something that don't make me want to puke when I check my purchased library of digital games.

And yet, everyone still seems to want it. Which is exactly why Sony doesn't give a fuck.

Literally any other consumer electronic, we don't hear anything official about it until like a week or 2 before launch.

Three

It actually makes no sense for them to do PR at the moment since the PS5 is sold out literally everywhere. People will find the negative in the news. I think with the PS5 they have gone for paid upgrades, that means the games look better but it can be bad PR in compariaon to some minuscule upgrade being offered free.

Just ride it out and reveal what you have when you get more stock in stores. It's the wisest thing for them to do.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I knew it wouldn't take that long until PlayStation Fanboys come out to defend Sony's horrible Marketing! But the first post? Come On Dude :D

Yeah, how anyone dare share their opinion if it disagrees with yours, right? And they didn't even have the decency to let people shit on Sony for 3 pages first.

tenor.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sony has the only launch game thats not anywhere else I want to play DeSouls.

But EVerything else I will buy on xbox because of smart delivery and the chance of the games just being better on a better hardware. though if load times are half of what XsX are on PS5 .... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Most probably I'm gonna buy a PS5 because of the big backlog that i have in PS4, but then again....

Xbox has been doing a very good job in terms of communication.

One scenario is me buying both consoles, the other is me buying just one.

Obviously fanboys are not complaining, but i do.
I have nearly 100 games in PS4, i want to know if i can plug my hdd to my ps5 and play some of those titles like the xbox already said it can do
I have digested the fact the the PS5 it is not compatible with nearly 30 Psone classics, 20 PS2 Classic and 50 games all on my PS3. And honestly, watching the remarkable work that Xbox is running its old titles, makes me think that Sony is being all secret with some of the PS5 features means bad news.

Hell even PSnow isnt available in my country.

Putting aside Nostalgia, it is hard to defend Sony right now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am glad Sony fans are finally outraged about the atrocious marketing from Sony. Hope Sony sees this and realizes we need more than the crumbs we have been given.

its been a rough year for Sony fans. This was supposed to be the most hyped next gen console launch of all time and I feel nothing but a bitter taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Yeah Sony is being really weird, I'm not liking the new leadership team behind the brand, they're definitely a far cry from the 2013 team behind the PlayStation 4. We've got like 46 days until the console releases and we really know nothing about it, we haven't seen the hardware, we have no idea what features it has if any, how the UI is, if they've made any tangible improvements etc.

It's bizarre.
Nahh, just wait for the masses cry out the speed difference in wich everything just feels instant, when those hands-on youtube videos hit. Much better angle than any corporate infomercials. Sony knows this.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Even the Jimquisition today compared Sony to the PS3 days. Dunno whats happening over there but they could have set the narrative this coming gen yet everything is reactionary to MS and really just bungling the entire thing.

White-fire

Even the Jimquisition today compared Sony to the PS3 days. Dunno whats happening over there but they could have set the narrative this coming gen yet everything is reactionary to MS and really just bungling the entire thing.

Sony has literally done the opposite of reactionary. if the Jimquisition really said that he is horribly mistaken. Companies fresh off a failure like the PS3, who turn it around usually don't get "complacent" within 5 years. They are following the strategy that made them successful with the PS4. The PS3 was a failure not just because the marketing sucked somewhat, it was because the PS3 was not a good product at the time. There's no indication that the PS5 as a product is even close to the failure that the PS3 launched as. In fact, (and its hard to stress it enough) how different they are.

Edit: For example, if Sony was reactionary, why does their marketing looks very different from Microsoft? Why do they reveal and release different bits of information at random times? Why does Sony tend to do big events that are well produced (made long before they were shot with multiple studios and teams in a combined effort). These things are not reactionary, they are predetermined. I can't stress enough how strategic multinational companies are today, especially Sony and Microsoft.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Sony has literally done the opposite of reactionary. if the Jimquisition really said that he is horribly mistaken. Companies fresh off a failure like the PS3, who turn it around usually don't get "complacent" within 5 years. They are following the strategy that made the successful. The PS3 was a failure not just because the marketing sucked somewhat, it was because the PS3 was not a good product at the time. There's no indication that the PS5 as a product is even close to the failure that the PS3 launched as. In fact, (and its hard to stress it enough) how different they are.

Edit: For example, if Sony was reactionary, why does their marketing looks very different from Microsoft? Why do they reveal and release different bits of information at random times? Why does Sony tend to do big events that are well produced (made long before they were shot with multiple studios and teams in a combined effort). These things are not reactionary, they are predetermined. I can't stress enough how strategic multinational companies are today, especially Sony and Microsoft.
Wrong, the PS3 didn't fail because it was a bad product, in fact, it was (and still is) an awesome console.

Why a good product can fail? because sometimes those products don't communicate well their attributes

PS3 launched a year after Xbox 360, at a high price, with poor launch lineup, and their third party games looked better on Xbox.
The first killer AAA game came almost two years after it's launch. Metal Gear Solid 4

ANIMAL1975

Yes, im a big ps fan and i have also come to the conclusion that the marketing and comunicación has been a big shit show. Very poorly managed and delivered, all over the place, and i still had some hope it was all some kind of mastermind secret plan, until the cross Gen fiasco... delivered on Twitter by outsiders after the fokin event lol wtf!? Who the fock is responsible for this _ is it that gal that was hired some time ago for heading the marketing (can't boder to search for the fockin information), or is it the only one to blame this sad Jimmy Ryan character _ boring like the British smogy, rainy, repetitive days (sorry my British brehs for the stereotype). Fock'im all i miss the old Kaz/Shu crazy days!...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sony has literally done the opposite of reactionary. if the Jimquisition really said that he is horribly mistaken. Companies fresh off a failure like the PS3, who turn it around usually don't get "complacent" within 5 years. They are following the strategy that made them successful with the PS4. The PS3 was a failure not just because the marketing sucked somewhat, it was because the PS3 was not a good product at the time. There's no indication that the PS5 as a product is even close to the failure that the PS3 launched as. In fact, (and its hard to stress it enough) how different they are.

what marketing?

edit:

I forgot, they do drop them vids with the trailers once and while then get Dorito Pope to do the heavy lifting. Better off load the actual information onto Twitter.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Most probably I'm gonna buy a PS5 because of the big backlog that i have in PS4, but then again....

Xbox has been doing a very good job in terms of communication.

One scenario is me buying both consoles, the other is me buying just one.

Obviously fanboys are not complaining, but i do.
I have nearly 100 games in PS4, i want to know if i can plug my hdd to my ps5 and play some of those titles like the xbox already said it can do
I have digested the fact the the PS5 it is not compatible with nearly 30 Psone classics, 20 PS2 Classic and 50 games all on my PS3. And honestly, watching the remarkable work that Xbox is running its old titles, makes me think that Sony is being all secret with some of the PS5 features means bad news.

Hell even PSnow isnt available in my country.

Putting aside Nostalgia, it is hard to defend Sony right now.

And its not releasing until late November. If you dont know sufficient information before then, you can complain.

Blond

Banned
I bet everyone that said we don't need an EA is praying we have one in 2021. This Gen 9 launch feels like it's got no clear direction

No kidding. These consoles could honestly have gone another year in the oven and I wouldn’t have been mad.

But I’m still in for the PS5 lol

White-fire

Wrong, the PS3 didn't fail because it was a bad product, in fact, it was (and still is) an awesome console.

Why a good product can fail? because sometimes those products don't communicate well their attributes

PS3 launched a year after Xbox 360, at a high price, with poor launch lineup, and their third party games looked better on Xbox.
The first killer AAA game came almost two years after it's launch. Metal Gear Solid 4

I know the PS3 was an awesome product, it's my favorite console of all time. However, I said at the time, it was not a good product, not that it never was. For the price, the PS3 was not good at launch. There wasn't much to play on it, and that is a huge factor in the value of a gaming console. And the market responded, they agreed that the PS3 was not worth the price tag. Also, the Playstation 3 launched incomplete in a stunted state, and needed many software updates to actually realize the vision of a next-gen console that demanded that high price tag.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

I know the PS3 was an awesome product, it's my favorite console of all time. However, I said at the time, it was not a good product, not that it never was. For the price, the PS3 was not good at launch. There wasn't much to play on it, and that is a huge factor in the value of a gaming console. And the market responded, they agreed that the PS3 was not worth the price tag. Also, the Playstation 3 launched incomplete in a stunted state, and needed many software updates to actually realize the vision of a next-gen console that demanded that high price tag.
I know where you're pointing. And we agree, I'm just saying that PS3 was, a solid console, a good product with awesome features at launch, power, backcompatible, a well know control, different hdd, bluray etc.....but its price and the lack of titles cost it 2/3 of the gen.

White-fire

what marketing?

edit:

I forgot, they do drop them vids with the trailers once and while then get Dorito Pope to do the heavy lifting. Better off load the actual information onto Twitter.

The Playstation 5 has had some of the most social media engagement (generated buzz) for a product launch of all time. The Marketing campaign is more than just commercials (although they do that as well), it is public image. This includes trade dress, positioning of products in consumers minds, and reach of information. Sony has hit all three on the head. Momentum carrying a console from one generated to the next can be lost easily if the marketing and product are not on point, this is how the Wii U, and PS3 lost so much momentum despite having a seemingly insurmountable lead at the start of the gen. If Sony was failing in these aspects, we would very well see a shift in consumer metrics telling us a change of taste is happening, however no such metrics that we have seen tell us that. It's either the same or widening in Sony's favor, depending on which statistics you look at.

I feel a lot of this has to do with the live event's Sony has done, and the information Sony has released through social media, despite your disingenuous comments. Even in my own life, casuals who aren't heavy into video games are hyped about the console to launch and want one day one. The meme you see on twitter about girlfriends buying their boyfriends PS5's isn't a joke, its actually real. Sony has hit the nail on the head from design and their insistence on official information only coming from them has given them an Apple type of appeal with the casual audience. It's clear Sony is trying to position themselves as a premium product that answers to no one, but also provides value to consumers. And that in my opinion has driven up demand to insane levels. In many ways Playstation is seen in the popular culture as a lifestyle brand on top of being a consumer product. This is why even insignificant information spreads across the internet about the PS5 like wildfire, engaging people are aren't even heavily into gaming. The Playstation 5 just oozes cool to many people, and it is resonating with a lot of people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom