• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soccer Manager 2005 BANNED

Redbeard

Banned
In China, that is, for listing Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Tibet as independent countries.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20041207/wr_nm/china_game_dc

Any Web site that offered downloads of the game would be fined up to $1,210, Xinhua said, quoting an order from the Ministry of Culture.

Cybercafes that failed to prevent players from downloading, installing or playing the game would be fined as much as $1,815, it added.

Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau were listed as independent countries in the game, and the Himalayan region of Tibet, which Chinese troops occupied in 1950, is called "Chinese Tibet," which elevated it to the same level as China itself, Xinhua said.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Is China also going to ban everything that is Made In Taiwan or Made In Hong Kong just because of the names ??? Silly Chinese...

snapty00

Banned
Any Web site that offered downloads of the game would be fined up to $1,210, Xinhua said, quoting an order from the Ministry of Culture.
They do mean just Chinese-based Web sites, right? Because if not, I'm putting a special section for this game on all the sites I manage. :lol

snapty00 said:
They do mean just Chinese-based Web sites, right? Because if not, I'm putting a special section for this game on all the sites I manage. :lol

Yes, they mean websites everywhere. :rolleyes

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
NetMapel said:
Is China also going to ban everything that is Made In Taiwan or Made In Hong Kong just because of the names ??? Silly Chinese...
If the items said made in "Independent Taiwan", then my guess would be yes.

But i would guess made in labels are not as prevelent in China as they are in the west ;)

thorns

Banned
Redbeard said:

So they're not fining for piracy but for political reasons instead :lol

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
belgurdo said:
I can't wait until we invade China when Bush gets his third term

The Chinese won't have to worry about that, Bush is only racist towards muslims.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
China = favored trade status... I doubt we're gonna go to war with them any time soon, especially not under Bush :p

Top Bottom