• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soccer: not even once

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63105945

At least 125 people have died in a crush at an Indonesian football match that has become one of the world's worst stadium disasters.

Hundreds were also hurt in aftermath of home team Arema FC's loss to bitter rivals at the overcrowded stadium late on Saturday in Malang, East Java.

The crush took place after police tear-gassed fans who invaded the pitch.

As panic spread, thousands surged towards Kanjuruhan stadium's exits, where many suffocated.

Fifa, the world's governing football body, states that no "crowd control gas" should be carried or used by stewards or police at matches.

The organisation's president Gianni Infantino said it was "a dark day for all involved in football and a tragedy beyond comprehension".

One eyewitness told the BBC that police had fired numerous tear gas rounds "continuously and fast" after the situation with fans became "tense".

Next to one exit gate a hole smashed through the wall testifies to the desperation to escape the crush that developed.

Current death toll at least 175, with an additional 200+ injured.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Saw that headline on espn I hope the injured get better with the deaths, RIP.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
k2uT9ks.png

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Mistake

I heard this earlier. The amount that died is pretty crazy, but I didn’t know initial cause was from the home team losing and people flipping out. What a mess

jason10mm

Gold Member
This shit reminds me of that massive club fire with Great White were a hundred folks died at the fire exits. Just can't imagine how quickly it can go from "hell yeah this is AWESOME!" to getting trampled, burned, or otherwise asphyxiated.

Kenpachii

This shit reminds me of that massive club fire with Great White were a hundred folks died at the fire exits. Just can't imagine how quickly it can go from "hell yeah this is AWESOME!" to getting trampled, burned, or otherwise asphyxiated.

Had one here in netherlands, club fire broke out and kids where getting roasted while the entrance was blocked by people stuck through people pushing and they couldn't get out of it, even people trying to jank people out of it didn't work. U just saw them die while getting burned from the back side.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I was at a local derby once between two rivaling football teams. Small scale compared to this but they were the biggest teams in the country. Of course shit went sour when one of the team lost and all hell broke loose between the supporters. I have never been so afraid. Some of these people are absolute nuts, looking to kick the living shit out of you, even kill you, for even wearing the wrong colors. When the police arrived it only got worse and shit started to really hit the fan. They handled the situation so poorly it looked like a fucking war zone afterwards. Luckily I got away from the arena unharmed along with my friends but I'm never attending another game again. Shit ain't worth it. The hooligans are ruining it for everyone and cops taking no prisoners are making it even worse.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm not fucking surprised at all. Some Indonesian football fans are on another level of demented psycho, and supported by corrupt officials.

There's an excellent report on how militant Indonesian fans are, and some of the horrific tragedies that have resulted from such blind idiocy.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Most people died from lack of oxygen + being caught in stampedes. I was curious and googled “deadliest stampedes” and found this

Over 2000 dead holy shit. They are no joke. There are some older ones with more casualties but the fact this was just 2015 is surreal.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You'd get less soccer riots and hyperactive spectators if the stadiums banned bonfires and smoke bombs in the seats. When you got whole sections of the same fans ranting and raving like they are about to hack and slash like Braveheart, you got 1000s of people amped up in booze and adrenaline.

By the looks of it you got tons of drunk people, so it means they are letting in too many pre-game drunks or selling booze so cheap all game people are loading up. So it shows they got lax security or too much booze that's easy to buy.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Warning… Old man opinion:

Professional team sports are way for governments/ the rich to control and milk money from everyone else .. it’s been used for thousands of years and you idiots just eat it up as fast as you can.

Last edited:

Professional team sports are way for governments/ the rich to control and milk money from everyone else .. it’s been used for thousands of years and you idiots just eat it up as fast as you can.

You need to expand on this if you're going to calling people idiots. How are they controlling and taking money from everyone, and when did it start (how many "thousands of years"?)

Ionian

You need to expand on this if you're going to calling people idiots. How are they controlling and taking money from everyone, and when did it start (how many "thousands of years"?)

He's right. It's well established as a sport of slaves, not like they had a choice but was classed as a sport.

Football has it's own issues, including the players and fans. It's well documented. Christ knows the causalities since I've been alive, too many to mention. I had to play it, I was shit but witnessed a guy in school take a steel bat to the face.

Not nice, he was badly damaged and bleeding. I also got shoved down a stairway into a concrete wall (other students rushing down) knocked me out. PE teacher had me take the bench whilst concussed, what a prick.

Never liked football anyway, or Rugby. Still had to play them though. Injuries are often, "It's in the game".

GeekyDad

Jesus Christ...

And "while a full investigation takes place"? Better go back tens of thousands of years, then, maybe further.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Everybody thinks ur an idiot, but cool derail

Winter John

You know what's weird? I've been to a couple of matches in London and had a great time. The atmosphere, the crowds, the games were a ton of fun. I went to a couple of matches over here expecting the same and they were so boring I wanted to hang myself. I recommend anyone over here who wants to experience the real thing to go down to Mexico/Brazil. Those guys are world class.

Spaceman292

Banned
Can't wait for the world cup in Qatar.

The world cup is usually the one time I follow football. It's usually fun, but this shit in Qatar is awful. All those people dying to build the stadiums, etc...

GymWolf

Gold Member
In my city we had our share of footaball related bullshits with a dead police man but nothing like that.

Tams

Dam, using tear gas knowing the stadium is over capacity....

Never learn. Shame on the incompetence of those in charge
Yes, but at the same time why are we such stupid herd animals?

Why go onto the pitch in a country like Indonesia? Why then all try and get through one exit?

Those were rhetorical, or at least the second one was. Herds, or as we call human herds, crowds, sort of develop into a new entity. And it really ends up well when crowds get startled.

Tams

You'd get less soccer riots and hyperactive spectators if the stadiums banned bonfires and smoke bombs in the seats. When you got whole sections of the same fans ranting and raving like they are about to hack and slash like Braveheart, you got 1000s of people amped up in booze and adrenaline.

By the looks of it you got tons of drunk people, so it means they are letting in too many pre-game drunks or selling booze so cheap all game people are loading up. So it shows they got lax security or too much booze that's easy to buy.

No alcohol is allowed in Indonesian stadiums and not even available in a lot of Indonesia (depending on the province). You're not suggesting ice tea has caused this, are you?

Nah, this started because Indonesian football fans are fucking deranged. Far worse than the butt stabbers in Italy (more serious than it sounds - you've got some big arteries in your arse) and the racism in Eastern European football.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Chile football stadium’s roof collapsed with peoples on it.

Can’t even find a count of injuries except « several ». If there’s no deaths, that would be a miracle.

They’re not supposed to be on that structure btw. These stadium sports really lower the general IQ doesn’t it? It’s modern tribalism.

Last edited:
You often never hear anything negative about Indonesia in the news and now we have football hooligans overthrowing a stadium? Goes to show that football is indeed more than just a game.

Bragr

Banned
This sort of stuff reminds me of another reason to hate Russians:

During that big riot when english and russian football fans were fighting several years ago, the russian hooligans would go after anyone english, inlcuding women and children. They would beat up pregnant women and kick them in the head on the ground and punch kids under 10 years old.

The football culture around some big cities is out of control and football has always looked the other way.

Ionian

This sort of stuff reminds me of another reason to hate Russians:

During that big riot when english and russian football fans were fighting several years ago, the russian hooligans would go after anyone english, inlcuding women and children. They would beat up pregnant women and kick them in the head on the ground and punch kids under 10 years old.

The football culture around some big cities is out of control and football has always looked the other way.

I remember living in Barcelona, the city would be ransacked and shut down. Entire city shut down when Catalonia VS. Spain, was complete chaos. Couldn't buy anything from major shops.

I worked opposite the Neu Camp as well, used to watch them train. Was mental the city got destroyed over-night. I don't even care for football but watching a match in the stadium was special, only regret is I never got to see Messi. Saw Ronaldho though. Fucks don't sell beer in the stadium as well.

Imagine queuing for 30 minutes for water. Still was awesome though and absolutely worth it. Visited the museum soon after. (It ain't cheap).

EDIT: Oh they have have cardboard cut-outs on the pitch to take pics with. I busted up laughing but people seemed really into them.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the world cup in Qatar.

It still amazes me how after thousands of workers dying building those stadiums for the world cup, FIFA didn't cancel it. Only for thousands more to die continuing to build them.

Such a dog shit country.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No alcohol is allowed in Indonesian stadiums and not even available in a lot of Indonesia (depending on the province). You're not suggesting ice tea has caused this, are you?

Nah, this started because Indonesian football fans are fucking deranged. Far worse than the butt stabbers in Italy (more serious than it sounds - you've got some big arteries in your arse) and the racism in Eastern European football.
I didnt know Indonesia is so anti-booze, but my comment was holistic relating to any soccer rioting crowds around the world. By far the craziest fans.

IMO, one thing that adds to the fire is soccer is such a slow paced boring sport, there's nothing to watch on the field most of the time as players are just slowly trotting and passing back and forth, including even kicking the ball back to their own goalkeeper. So when things are slow paced, the crowd might as well amp up, chant and kill time time. Most games probably end 1-1 or 2-1, so there's not much scoring to even cheer for.

In other pro sports, you got to watch the action more closely (especially hockey and basketball) because players zip up and down the court/ice so fast a basket or goal scored can happen in a flash. In football or baseball, a player can grab a hail mary pass or crack a homerun at any time. You arent going to get 1000s of fans more interested in chanting and lighting bonfires than actually sitting there and watching the game.

In soccer, no goals are being scored unless it's a corner kick, penalty shot, or a player has the ball and does a cross into a mob of players and their teammate heads it in or kicks it in from close. Most of the time, the players are just tapping the ball back and forth waiting for an opening.

Another reason is it's probably the only sport (that I know of) where fans of each team sit in their own section. Every other pro sport is mixed fans. So what happens is when you got full sections of the same fan, everyone gets loud and brave to mouth off and yell at each other even if sections spill over. You cant really do that in other sports because even though most fans are the home crowd, you still got enough visiting fans spread out. It's a lot tougher to pester and chant at the other fans when the opposing fan can be sitting right next to you. So people are more respectful and cut down on antagonizing opposing fans because you never know if there's opposing fans around you who might help out the other guy. And it happens. That's why when you see some NFL fights in the stands, the video shows one guy always getting blindsided from behind. The fans of each team are spread out and you never know who is really on your side or not if it gets into yelling matches.

Last edited:

Tams

I didnt know Indonesia is so anti-booze, but my comment was holistic relating to any soccer rioting crowds around the world. By far the craziest fans.

IMO, one thing that adds to the fire is soccer is such a slow paced boring sport, there's nothing to watch on the field most of the time as players are just slowly trotting and passing back and forth, including even kicking the ball back to their own goalkeeper. So when things are slow paced, the crowd might as well amp up, chant and kill time time. Most games probably end 1-1 or 2-1, so there's not much scoring to even cheer for.

In other pro sports, you got to watch the action more closely (especially hockey and basketball) because players zip up and down the court/ice so fast a basket or goal scored can happen in a flash. In football or baseball, a player can grab a hail mary pass or crack a homerun at any time. You arent going to get 1000s of fans more interested in chanting and lighting bonfires than actually sitting there and watching the game.

In soccer, no goals are being scored unless it's a corner kick, penalty shot, or a player has the ball and does a cross into a mob of players and their teammate heads it in or kicks it in from close. Most of the time, the players are just tapping the ball back and forth waiting for an opening.

Another reason is it's probably the only sport (that I know of) where fans of each team sit in their own section. Every other pro sport is mixed fans. So what happens is when you got full sections of the same fan, everyone gets loud and brave to mouth off and yell at each other even if sections spill over. You cant really do that in other sports because even though most fans are the home crowd, you still got enough visiting fans spread out. It's a lot tougher to pester and chant at the other fans when the opposing fan can be sitting right next to you. So people are more respectful and cut down on antagonizing opposing fans because you never know if there's opposing fans around you who might help out the other guy. And it happens. That's why when you see some NFL fights in the stands, the video shows one guy always getting blindsided from behind. The fans of each team are spread out and you never know who is really on your side or not if it gets into yelling matches.
That's mostly some pop psychology there.

And you say football is boring. I'll never fallen asleep to a football game (as boring as I find them), but I have baseball games. Even test cricket is more interesting.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Counterpoint: Sports are fun so I don't care.

Soodanim

History's repeating itself with this one. Same old story, except this time it's worse.

I was at a local derby once between two rivaling football teams. Small scale compared to this but they were the biggest teams in the country. Of course shit went sour when one of the team lost and all hell broke loose between the supporters. I have never been so afraid. Some of these people are absolute nuts, looking to kick the living shit out of you, even kill you, for even wearing the wrong colors. When the police arrived it only got worse and shit started to really hit the fan. They handled the situation so poorly it looked like a fucking war zone afterwards. Luckily I got away from the arena unharmed along with my friends but I'm never attending another game again. Shit ain't worth it. The hooligans are ruining it for everyone and cops taking no prisoners are making it even worse.
I need to know which teams

Ignoring the utter waffle about goals and whatever else I skimmed over, you yourself gave the reason that fans sit in separate stands. You can't have rival fans mixed. It just doesn't work. The separation isn't arbitrary.

Football has the most unified and organised fans in the world, and that has upsides as well as downsides. Just listen to the chants and songs. You aren't getting that anywhere else, for better or worse. The most passion you'll find in any sport.

Last edited:

You've really misunderstood football about as much as it's possible to misunderstand anything.

The fans aren't chanting out of boredom. If they all find football so boring, why do they go to watch in the first place? If you're into football it's the most intense sport in the world.

The small amount of goals don't mean there's nothing to watch, it's just a more subtle, nuanced game than that. It's like saying 'I feel sorry for people who read books, they must be so bored without and CGI to look at'.

The lack of goals mean that each one has so much more weight which just adds to the intensity. Games often hang on a knife edge with one mistake from your team or moment of brilliance from an opposition player able to completely change the outcome of a match. That's why people get so worked up about it. As a result, you can't mix the fans as you just end up with carnage.

Saying that no goals are scored outside of set plays or crosses is surely trolling but just in case you're being serious, here's a video for you to watch:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm not fucking surprised at all. Some Indonesian football fans are on another level of demented psycho, and supported by corrupt officials.

There's an excellent report on how militant Indonesian fans are, and some of the horrific tragedies that have resulted from such blind idiocy.

Thanks for the link. Great report on how soccer/football is viewed there. Wild.

I heard this earlier. The amount that died is pretty crazy, but I didn’t know initial cause was from the home team losing and people flipping out. What a mess
Its indonesia. They have no etiquete. They trashed our stadium when their team lost.

Tams

You've really misunderstood football about as much as it's possible to misunderstand anything.

The fans aren't chanting out of boredom. If they all find football so boring, why do they go to watch in the first place? If you're into football it's the most intense sport in the world.

The small amount of goals don't mean there's nothing to watch, it's just a more subtle, nuanced game than that. It's like saying 'I feel sorry for people who read books, they must be so bored without and CGI to look at'.

The lack of goals mean that each one has so much more weight which just adds to the intensity. Games often hang on a knife edge with one mistake from your team or moment of brilliance from an opposition player able to completely change the outcome of a match. That's why people get so worked up about it. As a result, you can't mix the fans as you just end up with carnage.

Saying that no goals are scored outside of set plays or crosses is surely trolling but just in case you're being serious, here's a video for you to watch:

It's kind of bizarre for them to claim football is boring while espousing how great baseball is. Football is in almost constant motion. Baseball has them pissing about, pulling faces, hyping the tiniest thing up (often for it to be complete let down if you aren't religious about the sport). And the scores are pretty low too (not that that's an indicator of anything).

To be clear, I find both of those sports boring to watch. Most sports in fact. But as they're bringing it up as the basis for their pop psychology/sociology, it does need to be addressed.

The truth is, football has far too many idiotic, nutty, deranged, far too committed, and even dangerous fans. It'll be for a multitude of reasons that all manifest themselves in something that has extremely clearly defined sides. That it's the most popular sport in the world is one of those reasons, though likely that's largely self-fulfilling.

Putting on my pop psychology/sociology hat, I'd say it's about our innate need for tribalism, which is a survival mechanism, which leads to trouble as due to society we largely don't need it but it's still there and yearns to be let out.

Banjo64

cumsessed

The most laughably clueless and bad take I’ve ever read :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom