• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

jmonteiro

SOLDIER said:
Anyone tried this game without the official headset? It's up on the PS Store, so I'm wondering if that headset is worth the extra $20.

It's more like the other way around. Is the game worth $20? The headset is definitely worth $40.

I got the boxed version and I'm very happy with it.

exactly...the MSRP of the headset is $50. So at this point (as the launch as been shakey), it's more like paying $10 more for a full game

Shins

Banned
The quality on the headset is very impressive. I was used to the slight muddling with my old Bluetooth headset, as well as the Xbox Live wireless headset. Everyone I've heard so far as has come in amazingly clear.

Though, even in high quality, listening to some hotshot explain why the rest of the team sucks isn't too fun. :p

macewank

love the headset.. love the game... when i can actually play the damn thing.

here's hoping the server issues iron out over the next week or so like they normally do on games like this. i'm hyped to play it more!

VALKYRAY said:
WTF!
initializing network failed

how to solve this?

Been trying in the last hour or so with no success. They better fix those goddamn servers.

Also, is Southpaw control available to be used? I know people who will refuse to play without it.

Just to reword it

When you guys first charged the headset, you charged it directly with no dock right? And when it was done you unplugged it, thats it right? i dont want this thing frying on me again.

Mode

So I spend 3 hours installing the game, updating the ps3 firmware, downloading the patch, and now I'm stuck at the main menu? I want my money back.

spwolf

hmph, wtf.

now it allowed me to play Socom under another account on same PS3. Last night it specifically told me I couldnt play on that same account. Weird as fuck. I like it though :).

Of course, network works perfectly in european morning.... :D

I was ready to get rid of this game because I bought it just for the headset. But after spending more time with it, it kind of grew on me. It's not something I'm going to spend a lot of time on, but when I want something different, I'll come back to this from time to time.

been playing for the last hour and a half ....I'm quite suprised how much i'm enjoying this! Not to mention the community is pretty communicative! (for better or worse sometimes)

oneHeero

Suburban_Nooblet said:
Well.... /6 gave it all they had, and all they had was not nearly enough.
The gameplay is there, you cant discredit /6 on that. They were just unprepared for the launch in terms of having a stable network.

If you dont like Socom:C gameplay you just wont like any Socom to come out, it feels so good to me, played it day one and god its so fucken good.

oneHeero said:
The gameplay is there, you cant discredit /6 on that. They were just unprepared for the launch in terms of having a stable network.

If you dont like Socom:C gameplay you just wont like any Socom to come out, it feels so good to me, played it day one and god its so fucken good.

I agree with this, I'm a huge Socom fan. The games that have worked for me have been extremely entertaining. I guess I should stop letting it shock me when servers crash for days with an online launch.

However, as someone who works in the IT industry I always find it amazing that these game developers didn't hire some network engineers and consultants to prepare for large launches with extreme bursts in user traffic.

Anyhow, still look forward to playing it when they get it taken care of.

BatmanX

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yeah, HQ is better than I anticipated. Sounds clear as hell.

But let me ask, this HQ mode, is it exclusive for the new heaset, os is a new hq voice mode avalaible for any headset?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
spwolf said:
hmph, wtf.

now it allowed me to play Socom under another account on same PS3. Last night it specifically told me I couldnt play on that same account. Weird as fuck. I like it though :).

Of course, network works perfectly in european morning.... :D

you mean that error code? Or did it give you a specific message saying so? I got the error code as well when the servers were down at different times last night, even on the account that I purchased the game on. When things are working normally, you should be able to log onto the game with different accounts on the same console.

so_awes said:
exclusive

It's a firmware update (2.5) that gives the HQ mode, but only for this one specific headset?

Are we sure on this? I don't want to have to buy a second headset if it isn't going to make a difference. I understand it's only another $20, but I've already spent $30 on my current bluetooth headset.

spwolf

levious said:
you mean that error code? Or did it give you a specific message saying so? I got the error code as well when the servers were down at different times last night, even on the account that I purchased the game on. When things are working normally, you should be able to log onto the game with different accounts on the same console.

no, it gave me can not access on this account error... same as original Warhawk... and then this morning, it allowed me to play on the same account that last night did not work.

Crisco

Banned
Ugh, just another post bitching about the headset being $50 stand alone. I have no interest in this game but I would love the headset for LPB, Resistance 2 and other upcoming titles. Fuck you Sony :(

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
probably just some network error I'd think... if you read the information tab on the game in the XMB, it gives the same description as the current Warhawk, "this software can be played by multiple users but the owner's password must be saved..."

sonycowboy said:
It's a firmware update (2.5) that gives the HQ mode, but only for this one specific headset?

Are we sure on this? I don't want to have to buy a second headset if it isn't going to make a difference. I understand it's only another $20, but I've already spent $30 on my current bluetooth headset.

pretty sure, HQ mode can only be activated by pairing via USB.

oneHeero

sonycowboy said:

I've spent $50 on the MGS4 headset, I bought a Jabra BT125 for $30-40, and I bought Warhawk which came with a headset. I didnt hesitate to buy the Socom bundle.

spwolf

Crisco said:
Ugh, just another post bitching about the headset being $50 stand alone. I have no interest in this game but I would love the headset for LPB, Resistance 2 and other upcoming titles. Fuck you Sony :(

actually Socom plays so well that it will hold really good against your blockbusters coming out.

I dont know why people keep expecting that Socom is hard and unforgiving... After playing Socom, you will wonder why the fuck do you have to shoot someone with 10 bullets in other games.

Its fun for everyone, you dont have to be some kind of die hard fan of the series - i never played socom before... its fun.

fin

LiquidMetal14 said:
Yeah, HQ is better than I anticipated. Sounds clear as hell.

Seriously? If you've been playing xbox live or using the vioce chat in steam, it's pretty much identical.

So I gave up trying to play this game last night. Even with a BETA they couldn't get the games launch at least playable? You'd think that they would get their ducks-in-a-row for launch seeing that this is one of the most popular online games for Playstation AND it's online only. You basically pay $40 for a paper weight till they get their servers running.

Philthy

I tried last night before I went to bed and nothing worked. I got into editing my guys, then it gave online errors and dumped me back out. Couldn't get back in again, so I just called it a night.

I'm just glad there are other games to be playing while they work this all out. If it had come out during a slow period I would be so pissed right now. Dead Space will hold me over easily.

NameIess

It's absolutely unacceptable for an online only game to be released and not accessible for every player. I can understand some lag or stability issues, but no access to the server at all is a slap in the face after spending $60 bucks. I really like the included headset, but it's not worth $60 bucks since the fucking game is unplayable.

To make things worse the servers were brought to their knees Wednesday before the PSN version was released, but Sony still allowed more users to purchase the game on the PSN only to be unable to play. Sony & Six Slant need their asses kicked for this bullshit!

I can't believe they manage to gimp the custom controls by not allowing you to switch analog sticks so you can have a southpaw configuration. Was it so hard to implement it?

oneHeero

NameIess said:
It's absolutely unacceptable for an online only game to be released and not accessible for every player. I can understand some lag or stability issues, but no access to the server at all is a slap in the face after spending $60 bucks. I really like the included headset, but it's not worth $60 bucks since the fucking game is unplayable.

To make things worse the servers were brought to their knees Wednesday before the PSN version was released, but Sony still allowed more users to purchase the game on the PSN only to be unable to play. Sony & Six Slant need their asses kicked for this bullshit!
image.php

I love playing this game, so much fun, glad I have no problems!! :lol :lol

spwolf

fin said:
Seriously? If you've been playing xbox live or using the vioce chat in steam, it's pretty much identical.

So I gave up trying to play this game last night. Even with a BETA they couldn't get the games launch at least playable? You'd think that they would get their ducks-in-a-row for launch seeing that this is one of the most popular online games for Playstation AND it's online only. You basically pay $40 for a paper weight till they get their servers running.

how is it indentical if you have never been able to play the game? :lol

fin

spwolf said:
how is it indentical if you have never been able to play the game? :lol

Yeah and I've been sitting in lobbies for 10 minutes at a time waiting for a game to start, all the while hearing people bitching. And I've played 1 game to completetion.

RotBot

I managed to play a few rounds yesterday before I stopped being able to connect.

This is my first SOCOM game, and I like the change of pace compared to COD4 or Battlefield: Whatever. It reminds me of Insurgency mod.

With that out of the way, my gripes:
The red dot sight (and maybe the scopes, which I haven't tried) doesn't give you a top-of-the-gun view, but is positioned in the same place as OTS view. I'll peek over a rock and the yellow diamond will tell me that I'm still aiming at the rock half a meter below my crosshairs.

There's no way to remove the 1s hold delay for voice comm. I would forget about this and be finished talking by the time it starts sending.

Controls aren't fully configurable. Picking up dropped weapons isn't an action I perform so frequently that I need it permanently bound to the x button.

Nice my HS finally worked. For those wondering how to disable HQ mode, go into "Manage bluetooth device" Press Triangle, "information" then you will see it.

I think im going to open it today and try it out instead of selling it without giving it a chance.

btkadams

i hope they fix the server issues soon. i want to play but i dont have the time or the patience to wait an hour before getting into a match.

great game though (from what ive played)

so_awes

Banned
snack said:
Can you get the mic without the game, I am not really into SOCOM?
get the bundle, keep the headset, sell the game.

doesn't make sense buying the headset alone.

sonycowboy said:

do you have the warhawk headset? try that to see if you can get hq mode.

headset review: http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...on-ps3-headset-and-the-high-quality-chat-mode

1-D_FTW

This is why people in the beta were miffed at the apologists. I want the headphone and I loved the original Socom 1, but there's no way I'm touching this game until issues are settled. And considering how pathetic the beta was, I'm not exactly optimistic at this point.

Jim

I couldn't get the Network Initialization to not fail all last night.

I think Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars has better servers than SOCOM right now! Since that actually worked.

On a positive note, the headset is awesome.

sonycowboy said:

YES.. it's only this headset, right now at least.

Via PR:
High-Quality (HQ) mode – This delivers high quality online voice chat and high bandwidth voice recording and playback, which is currently not available with any other Bluetooth Headset. For future PS3 games, HQ Mode also can enable or enhance advanced in-game features.

spwolf

1-D_FTW said:
This is why people in the beta were miffed at the apologists. I want the headphone and I loved the original Socom 1, but there's no way I'm touching this game until issues are settled. And considering how pathetic the beta was, I'm not exactly optimistic at this point.

dont... we will be honing our skills in between.

I could play without any issues in the morning when there were "only" 3,000 people on the servers... it was crazy during US night, where 15,000 people were playing at the same time...

As to the gameplay itself - i checked COD4 while Socom was downloading in the office, and of course COD4 looks awesome, but damn is the gameplay different... it feels you are on speed, all the time.

As I said it before, and I will say it again, SOCOM has the gameplay nailed, and it goes really well against this years heavy hitters.

Top Bottom