• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Game finally came out in Aus yesterday, put it in, 155mb patch straight up. Anyways good fun so far graphics are eh but gameplay makes up for it. Worse thing about it is clan douche bags, not everyones a douche but clan people seem to be the biggest ones, they will go get themselves killed then piss and moan when your the last one left trying to win the game.

Already hate the community. Booted from the first two games I played to make room for a clan member. Fun times.

Awesome way to start off. Makes it hard to enjoy the game.

Arnie

gregor7777 said:
Already hate the community. Booted from the first two games I played to make room for a clan member. Fun times.

Awesome way to start off. Makes it hard to enjoy the game.
Yes I got booted once for no reason, it urked me.

Once the game gets good though, it really shines. I always thought my favourite map was Crossroads however last night I got Urban Wasteland in the daytime and my god is that a fun map. In my SAS gear I tactically pushed through the battlefield having M4 battles with people, got 5 kills in one round. Also when I was Mercs, I got onto the upper ledge of the building and M16's off the edge, taking people out in nice clean bursts. So fun!

Mesijs

This game is quite terrible in my opinion.

Just 4 new maps as a a whole new game, ridiculous. Also, I experience quite some lag and the controls feel clunky. I can't find a reason why people would play this while there are so many other good MP games around.

spwolf

Mesijs said:

Just 4 new maps as a a whole new game, ridiculous. Also, I experience quite some lag and the controls feel clunky. I can't find a reason why people would play this while there are so many other good MP games around.

because some people think it is pretty good game? I get no lag playing on US servers, from Europe.

Arnie

Mesijs said:

It isn't quantity, it's quality and in my opinion the maps in this game provide more replayability than most MP games. The game isn't full price for a reason, you can't compare the title to most other MP games.

I have never had any lag or serious connection problems, this is because I play on a wired connection in local servers. If you are doing both and still experiencing lag, perhaps it's the quality of your internet.

In terms of the controls, I agree there is room for improvement however the controls are fully customisable so you can choose the exact layout you wish. The aiming itself is perfect IMO and the only thing I struggle with after my first week of play is throwing grenades properly, however I often see people doing it well which gives me hope I just have to learn.

Finally there are few multiplayer games which provide the same satisfaction from performing well, SOCOM IMO is one of them. Others for me are CSS and Halo 3. I will say that the game does frustrate if you aren't playing well or come up against some expert players, just give it time and speak through your microphone to ask players for tips. It has to be learnt, you can't immediately turn into a pro overnight.

Treo360

gregor7777 said:
Gona be on in about 10 minutes.

Goddam that was a big patch

While I'm doing the BSG Season 4.5 marathon right now, I need a little break from WAW. Feel free to add me either on PSN:blackhawk2k3 or 360: Betahawk (where I'm on nearly everyday). I'd love to play an "organized" game of Socom.

J-Rzez

Mesijs said:

The gameplay is superior to nearly everything out there. The map design for the most part is also superior. The only reason I stopped playing was due to all the early problems with the game, and lack of a party system was killer. Controls are tighter and better than basically everything out there in my opinion. When it would run properly, it plays like SOCOM. I'm not sure how it plays now though since the fixes, I may give it another go in the near future.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Anyone in Europe pick this game up now its out?

Man, this game is soooo fucking boring. I don't have the patience for this slow-ass game.

Also, is this the worst looking PS3 game out there? I think it might be. Should have spent less time on the dance animations and more time on making the game look good, or better yet some more maps.

Also, if you make a game where you have to watch the spectator mode when you die, please let me play Pong or something while I wait.

And please explain why anyone would want to play this when you can get both Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW on PS3? I'm serious, this game is fucking horrible.

Kittonwy

Banned
McBacon said:

Man, this game is soooo fucking boring. I don't have the patience for this slow-ass game.

Also, is this the worst looking PS3 game out there? I think it might be. Should have spent less time on the dance animations and more time on making the game look good, or better yet some more maps.

Also, if you make a game where you have to watch the spectator mode when you die, please let me play Pong or something while I wait.

And please explain why anyone would want to play this when you can get both Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW on PS3? I'm serious, this game is fucking horrible.

You can choose games with the respawn option, although not many SOCOM players like respawn, and no, it's not the worst-looking PS3 game out there, the lighting in the game is actually pretty good.

PuMa

McBacon said:

This guy doesn't get it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Any places online selling this on the cheap? I would buy the PSN version at 30 if they lowered it. Sony needs to put this on sale on the PSN.

GQman2121

Banned
McBacon said:
You're damn right I don't. I'm a huge shooter fan and always have been, but I can hardly stand this.

The only people who are really playing this game are people who bought a PS3 just to play Socom. And they play nothing else but Socom. These same people will also defend this new downward spiral for the series like they have a vested interest in the companies involved who created it.

Joe211

I'm playing Socom and I have to say the game is really good.
I love how you have to think when you play this game. You can't rush like an idiot or else you'll die fast.
I love how we have to play as a Team (there's like 90% of people with a mic).
That's an excellent shooter not made for people who plays like Rambo.

shpankey

not an idiot
GQman2121 said:
The only people who are really playing this game are people who bought a PS3 just to play Socom. And they play nothing else but Socom. These same people will also defend this new downward spiral for the series like they have a vested interest in the companies involved who created it.
I don't fit your mold.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GQman2121 said:
So only Slant Six share holders play this game ? ·___·

oneHeero

McBacon said:
You're damn right I don't. I'm a huge shooter fan and always have been, but I can hardly stand this.
If you played the good socom games before, than you'd realize S:C gameplay is top notch still. Socom also was never a graphicial beast.

I dont own the game anymore, for various reasons, but I did burrow it fro ma friend because everytime I do play and get in a game, the gameplay is so good that I forget about everything else.

Q-bert

Banned
McBacon said:
And please explain why anyone would want to play this when you can get both Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW on PS3?

You could add at least four more games to your list, but the answer would still be:

Respawn vs. no respawn.

Arsenic

GQman2121 said:
The way hes talking is as if he doesn't like the mechanics and traits of Socom thats been there since Socom 1, spectating when dead, slower paced gameplay, strategy and teamwork wins games.

He obviously probably played too much Killzone and COD and thought this would be the same...somehow? Welcome to...socom dude.

As for this version of the game itself, yeah it sucks. Compared to previously released games.

Dibbz

lol at the guy complaining about spectating when you die. Learn how to play and you might suck less.

Played a game last night and got MVP on Urban Wasteland on Elimination. One of the guys took a massive fit that I beat him for MVP. I guess I'd be pissed if I had the game 6 months before everyone else and still got my ass owned. :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Q-bert said:
You could add at least four more games to your list, but the answer would still be:

Respawn vs. no respawn.

Well sure I prefer COD4 and what not to Confrontation, but I feel GRAW is very similar thematically and in its style, but 100x better.

spwolf

McBacon said:
Well sure I prefer COD4 and what not to Confrontation, but I feel GRAW is very similar thematically and in its style, but 100x better.

d00d, Socom is #1 played online game on PS3. WTF are you talking about?
You obviously dont like realistic shooters, so you dont like Socom. Ok, good for you. Understand that there are hundreds of thousand players that do not agree with you.

Q-bert

Banned
spwolf said:
d00d, Socom is #1 played online game on PS3. WTF are you talking about?
You obviously dont like realistic shooters, so you dont like Socom. Ok, good for you. Understand that there are hundreds of thousand players that do not agree with you.

SOCOM is the #1 SCEA online title. It's not the #1 played online game on PS3.
http://blog.socom.com/en-us/post/2009/02/State-of-the-Game.aspx

The leaderboards on SOCOM.com only go to 100,000, and the people on that
page have zero games played.

Click

Banned
Patch 1.5 coming mid-late May with DLC following sometime after that:

http://blog.socom.com/en-us/post/2009/04/Patch-15-Target-Time-Frame.aspx

Patch 1.5 details:

In addition to Tournaments, Clan Ladders and the Calendar, the team at Slant Six has been busy adding new community requested features to the 1.50 update.

* Added the ability to join directly into a friend's game off of the friend's list.
* Added password protected custom games.
* Drastically improved the weapon selection ring. You can now move while selecting weapons and the weapon selection is much faster and more accurate.
* Slightly reduced the Famas accuracy.
* Improved the damage of the Desert Eagle. One shot kill with light and medium armor.
* Improved sniper rifle damage. One shot kills with bolt action rifles on light and medium armor.
* Fixed a large number of level exploits.
* Channel names are sorted alphabetically by default.
* Reduced the long fade in at the beginning of rounds to less than 1 second (the "darkness" is gone).
* Added a 30 second game start timer to games when greater than 60% of the players ready up.
* Clan patches are now displayed on your character in-game.
* Clan tags are now displayed with your player name in-game.
* Added center markers to all scopes and changed the color of the crosshairs so that they are visible at night.
* Kill cam stops following target after 5 seconds.
* Button prompts in death cam fade out after 5 seconds.
* Target Spotting now defaults to off.
* Weapons selected in-game are not saved to your custom loadout.
* Option to Disable D-Pad lean and re-assign left and right directional buttons.
* Ladder Climb less audible.
* Round timer for 8x8 Medley decreased to 5 minutes.
* Picking up the bomb prompt now has priority when a body is on top of the bomb.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Click said:
patch details
Sounds good. Perhaps by then there will be a new wave of PS3/SOCOM owners that will be willing to play with others. Unfortunately, like most online shooter communities, the community for SOCOM has not been very receptive to late adopters. My experience with SOCOM:C was rapidly ruined when it seemed every match I joined was for SOCOM vets only and I was promptly booted sometimes after being repeatedly team killed like I was a part of some sort of initiation.

DenogginizerOS said:
Sounds good. Perhaps by then there will be a new wave of PS3/SOCOM owners that will be willing to play with others. Unfortunately, like most online shooter communities, the community for SOCOM has not been very receptive to late adopters. My experience with SOCOM:C was rapidly ruined when it seemed every match I joined was for SOCOM vets only and I was promptly booted sometimes after being repeatedly team killed like I was a part of some sort of initiation.

Complete opposite for me :lol . Played last night for the first time. Actually Mic checked at the start of my first match, three people said "hey, what's up" Got party invites and invited to a clan meeting to run with them for a tryout after I proved my shooter skill in a last man standing win for the team.

DenogginizerOS

Anerythristic said:
Complete opposite for me :lol . Played last night for the first time. Actually Mic checked at the start of my first match, three people said "hey, what's up" Got party invites and invited to a clan meeting to run with them for a tryout after I proved my shooter skill in a last man standing win for the team.
Must be a weekend thing. I had a run where I met some great people online and was feeling good about this game, but then I ran into a stretch where every room I got dropped into was full of SOCOM snobs. I am by no means giving up, I just hope it gets better. Glad to hear you had a good experience; S:C is a lot of fun if you get into a room of balanced players.

DenogginizerOS said:
Must be a weekend thing. I had a run where I met some great people online and was feeling good about this game, but then I ran into a stretch where every room I got dropped into was full of SOCOM snobs. I am by no means giving up, I just hope it gets better. Glad to hear you had a good experience; S:C is a lot of fun if you get into a room of balanced players.

I'd love to play with with you add me as a friend if you want: Anerythristic , same as here.

Click

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

LOL, I used to be one of those intolerant "initiators" that greeted terrible/retarded players with consistent teamkills and/or votes. Not so much against newbies though, just bad players...

Due to the very competitive and high-stakes nature of the game, veterans (especially clans) do not put up with any shit from bad, dumb, and sometimes (sadly) new players. Player voting and teamkilling are 2 easy and fast ways of dispatching players that are a detriment to a good team that hates losing.

But that's the nature of SOCOM games, unfortunately. You're either skilled enough to hang with the crowd or you're not and quickly quit the game, swearing it off and try to find various excuses to hate the game for your own inadequacies. However, coming from someone who's been through the "initiation" period (roughly 2 weeks for me and a few hours now, when coming back from other games), Confrontation is a very rewarding game once you learn the maps, tactics, and get more and more skilled, helping your team win.

My advice to new players is to play in respawn rooms or custom games to get yourself situated before jumping into the official, ranked rooms.

DenogginizerOS

Click said:
LOL, I used to be one of those intolerant "initiators" that greeted terrible/retarded players with consistent teamkills and/or votes. Not so much against newbies though, just bad players...

Due to the very competitive and high-stakes nature of the game, veterans (especially clans) do not put up with any shit from bad, dumb, and sometimes (sadly) new players. Player voting and teamkilling are 2 easy and fast ways of dispatching players that are a detriment to a good team that hates losing.

But that's the nature of SOCOM games, unfortunately. You're either skilled enough to hang with the crowd or you're not and quickly quit the game, swearing it off and try to find various excuses to hate the game for your own inadequacies. However, coming from someone who's been through the "initiation" period (roughly 2 weeks for me and a few hours now, when coming back from other games), Confrontation is a very rewarding game once you learn the maps, tactics, and get more and more skilled, helping your team win.

My advice to new players is to play in respawn rooms or custom games to get yourself situated before jumping into the official, ranked rooms.
I can understand kicking bad players, but kicking someone before you even give them a chance is dumb. I can certainly hold my own in a shooter and just want to have a chance.

Click

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I can understand kicking bad players, but kicking someone before you even give them a chance is dumb. I can certainly hold my own in a shooter and just want to have a chance.

Yeah, SOCOM games have always had the best of the best and worst of the worst of online shooting gamers.

Too many clans are extremely harsh towards non-clan members in Confrontation. They won't think twice to vote someone out or TK them constantly so they leave on their own. Sometimes, it's because of mistakes, bad play, saying something they don't like, whatever. Other times, they just want to free up space so their friends and/or clan members can get in and join them.

Basically, if you get voted or TK'd don't take it too personally. Just find another room to play in. It happens often in some rooms, while other rooms, nobody cares and you won't be punished that harshly by your own team.

GQman2121

Banned
Just like with the other patches, I'm going to give this game another shot. I'm interested in seeing what types of DLC they plan on adding.

panda21

i found it really off putting that when you join a game you're often the only one in the room without a clan tag.

i expect that most of them are actually pretty shit but its a whole elite attitude that pervades it that makes it very unfriendly.

they should make all online games like cod4 where it randomizes the teams and balances it for you so that you dont end up with endless faffing about in lobbies and bullshit from selfish clan players (if you only want to play in your clan make a private room or challenge another clan or something.. otherwise STFU).

Click

Banned
Legjend said:
So how hardcore is this game nowadays? I can't expect to sit back and relax cod4 style can I?

Hardcore to the bone!

You can camp and "relax," but if you're the last man alive and depending on game mode, your teammates might swiftly boot your ass. Or they'll TK you mercilessly the next round. Or they might not care about losing with a "relaxing" n00b on their team. Never know...

Acid08

Banned
I enjoyed the beta for this a lot despite all the technical and lag issues. How much of that has been addressed in the final game and subsequent patches?

MechDX

AranhaHunter said:
I might still get this if I can get the bundle for $30 bucks, you know Target had the Warhawk bundle for $30 at one point....

Got the bundle at the CC closeout sale for $40.

Norml

Best gun sounds ever imo, MAG better be just as good.

^ I have no lag thats noticeable and only problems that I notice are random mic getting bad but not a lot.

Click

Banned
Norml said:
Best gun sounds ever imo, MAG better be just as good.

^ I have no lag thats noticeable and only problems that I notice are random mic getting bad but not a lot.

Yup, great sound effects.

The voice chat is quite possibly the best on PS3, given that it uses HQ mode, the game came with the official Sony headset (not always), and the vast majority of players actually communicate and coordinate frequently with each other.

Top Bottom