• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software Ratings Reveal Burnout Crash, New Downloadable Game? [Update: New Details]

:(

I was hoping for an open world Burnout Paradise-esque sequel.

A crash mode only game? Zzzzz... Drive down a stretch of road, maybe avoiding a few cars, go off a ramp, aim for a 4x multiplier icon and/or buses, sit there and watch a bunch of cars randomly smash into each other. Rinse and repeat for any "crash track."

I do not see how that doesn't get boring after a couple tracks. Crash mode is a slightly more interactive QTE, in my book.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Something Wicked said:
I do not see how that doesn't get boring after a couple tracks. Crash mode is a slightly more interactive QTE, in my book.
To others, this may be a car-based puzzle game. Very intrigued by that description — crash mode has always been my favorite thing about the series.

Yeah back to basics - brilliant. Burnout 3 on Xbox was one of my fave games last gen. Would spend countless hours with my flatmates gathered round the TV in the lounge, knocking back beer and tearing through the campaign - which got insanely tough in the final third but always had us going back for 'one more go!'....

atomsk said:
There is a disturbing lack of love for Burnout 2 crash mode in here (aka the best one)

What the fuck you guys

Indeed. I guess most people didn't play it.

Funny because I've seen requests for "crash mode like Burnout 3 but without multipliers" aka: Burnout 2 crash mode. God damn.

I don't see how this is even up for debate!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Damn it GAF, this is your fault. I told you I'd blame you if the next Burnout wasn't like Paradise! Your lack of love for it prevented a sequel. </3

Pooya

New details by ESRB

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=31084

Platform: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Share |

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Cartoon Violence

Rating summary:

This is an action game in which players earn points for creating traffic pileups. From a top-down perspective, players initiate crashes by driving 'cartoony' vehicles (e.g., cars, trucks, vans, buses) into busy intersections; multiple crashes trigger score multipliers and rack up large 'bills' of property damage. Each level is accompanied by crashing sounds, small explosions, and vocal encouragement (e.g., 'Cool,' 'Maximum Carnage!'). In some levels, players are instructed to crash into police cars (e.g., 'Crash them before they bust you!'); in other sequences, oversized airplanes, tornados, lobster monsters, and UFOs slide across the screen, destroying any vehicles in their path.

wwm0nkey

Top down? God damnit.

Well looks like I will be waiting for the next real Burnout that is similar to 3 and Revenge
its never going to happen is it?

This is an action game in which players earn points for creating traffic pileups. From a top-down perspective, players initiate crashes by driving 'cartoony' vehicles (e.g., cars, trucks, vans, buses) into busy intersections; multiple crashes trigger score multipliers and rack up large 'bills' of property damage. Each level is accompanied by crashing sounds, small explosions, and vocal encouragement (e.g., 'Cool,' 'Maximum Carnage!'). In some levels, players are instructed to crash into police cars (e.g., 'Crash them before they bust you!'); in other sequences, oversized airplanes, tornados, lobster monsters, and UFOs slide across the screen, destroying any vehicles in their path.

?

ebirah1.jpg

wwm0nkey

Hotsuma said:
They lost me at top down...

Please make a sequel to Burnout 3, not Paradise 2.
3 and Revenge where the highlight of the series not this Need for Speed Paradise BS they pulled.

I want the true arcade-holy-shit-fast as hell awesome Burnout :(

Stop making top down/isometric car driving games that aren't RC Pro Am or a direct rip-off of RC Pro Am, video game developers.

peetfeet

Cartoony? top down? no thanks.

Paradise is the best btw. ;-p Amazing fun online with a bunch of friends.

MMaRsu

Banned
Christ how can you fumble the ball like this?

People want a HD crash mode like in Burnout 3, not a cartoony, top down crash mode?

What the fuck man, seriously :'). How can fucking companies be so out of touch with what their fanbase wants?

It would have been better if the game had been revealed before anyone saw the software ratings, at least that way I wouldn't have convinced myself that this would be some awesome Burnout Crash mode compilation in HD with online play and all the usual bells and whistles :/

So yeah, interest has dropped to zero.

I want a real crash mode, but I won't write this off just yet. It might be fun.

That said, I really, really didn't like Paradise, so Criterion need to start winning me back. Motorstorm has overtook the franchise for me this gen.

God damn it.

I guess they just don't know how to make a real crash mode anymore. It's rare to see a developer this willfully obtuse about what their fans want.

Katori

I was gonna say that download is perfect for Burnout. Then I read "top down." Oh well. :( What is Criterion doing, anyway?

FJ0372

This is not Burnout Paradise 2. I am disappointed. After completing Burnout Paradise I read lots of people on here rave about how brilliant Burnout Revenge was, so I went out and bought it on Xbox 360. They're not even in the same league, Burnout Revenge has aged horrendously and if Burnout Crash is a top-down 'cartoony' sequel, that sort of game is absolutely not what I want.

Burnout Paradise 2, please.

FJ0372 said:
This is not Burnout Paradise 2. I am disappointed. After completing Burnout Paradise I read lots of people on here rave about how brilliant Burnout Revenge was, so I went out and bought it on Xbox 360. They're not even in the same league, Burnout Revenge has aged horrendously and if Burnout Crash is a top-down 'cartoony' sequel, that sort of game is absolutely not what I want.

Burnout Paradise 2, please.
Revenge is my least favorite Burnout ever.

Paradise 2 please.

Yeah I think the second one was by far my favorite. Great music, great tracks and a great crash mode with none of the silly tokens to try to collect: just you, an intersection, and some traffic. The way God intended crash modes to be, damn it!

As long as it's Criterion developing the game I'm absolutely open to whatever it'll turn out to be. They have gained all my trust with how they've handled the Burnout series so far, so I'm absolutely looking forward to their next thing. I wish it was more than just a downloadable game, though.

VerTiGo

Banned
Paradise was such a letdown. Revenge was still awesome but I had to download Burnout 3 as an Xbox Original simply because its clear Takedown was definitely the best game in the series.

Hell, just simplify the game again and offer it as a Digital Download. Put Stryker in too, why not.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sure sounds like a silly thing to use the Burnout license for, but I'm still intrigued.

I mean, you know what other game was cartoony and was all about wrecking your way through environments using a top-down view?

This is Criterion related i'll put it here (it's not really new thread worthy)

Working on E3 stuff that we probably won't even show at E3.

http://twitter.com/CrashedAlex/status/68253793606828032

It seems like if there next game isn't at E3 then it'll probably be at gamescom or some other show this year. That'll rule out a new NFS. So a new Burnout or something different? Criterion has hinted at a Road Rash game in the past

IGN: Lastly, we would like to petition Criterion to take control of the Road Rash franchise and apply the Paradise engine to it. As soon as it's announced, we'll preorder 10 copies.

Sullivan: Thanks for the confidence in us and blind preordering! As I said earlier we're working on new stuff that I can't go into right now. When we're ready to spill the beans you'll be the first to know. But we've always been huge RR fans – we even put the Soundgarden track 'Rusty Cage' into Burnout Paradise as a subtle homage to the definitive 3DO version of the game. It was an amazing game and was very ahead of its time.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/851/851648p3.html

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
This is Criterion related i'll put it here (it's not really new thread worthy)

http://twitter.com/CrashedAlex/status/68253793606828032

It seems like if there next game isn't at E3 then it'll probably be at gamescom or some other show this year. That'll rule out a new NFS. So a new Burnout or something different? Criterion has hinted at a Road Rash game in the past

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/851/851648p3.html
They've been saying that they are only big enough for one game at a time, so I'm guessing it's just Burnout Crash not actually getting announced at E3, since a smaller downloadable game would get buried there.

Nirolak said:
They've been saying that they are only big enough for one game at a time, so I'm guessing it's just Burnout Crash not actually getting announced at E3, since a smaller downloadable game would get buried there.

Has it been confirmed that they're even developing BOC? The details make it seem like it wouldn't be something that they'd develop. It just seems way out there.

Rflagg

A Human Becoming said:
Damn it GAF, this is your fault. I told you I'd blame you if the next Burnout wasn't like Paradise! Your lack of love for it prevented a sequel. </3
I did my part and loved it. :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
Has it been confirmed that they're even developing BOC? The details make it seem like it wouldn't be something that they'd develop. It just seems way out there.
Hmm, so far no sign of a developer actually.

Top Bottom