• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solid Snake Japanese voice actor: ‘Kojima Productions has disbanded’

Philippo

Honestly, even if earlier i too suggested to eitther fund a new studio/get acquired by someone, i still think he should take a small break from gaming and for once try to finally direct a movie as he always wanted.

Iced Arcade

oddly enough I could see MS throwing a big pay Cheque to Kojima to head up XBOX Japan to try to make a dent in that region.

edit: I also don't get why people keep suggesting kickstarter. Kojima has produced nothing but hits so getting funding anywhere wouldn't be a problem. Shenmue was a flop so that's why it's a kickstarter. big difference.

squadr0n

I hope KojiPro as a Whole can move on and make something new. Ken Imazumi was recently quoted as a Konami exec, I hope they aren't folding into the mix and leaving Kojima on his own. Unless he's leaving the industry altogether which I can't see as of yet, he is still one of the actual developers that are a brand in themselves.

It's sad it had to end this way but he knew the risks going in, and maybe this was the only way he could move on and do something new. Hopefully someone like Sony or Nintwndo picks him up so he has enough funds and freedom to do what he wants finally.

oddly enough I could see MS throwing a big pay Cheque to Kojima to head up XBOX Japan to try to make a dent in that region.

they have given up on that a looooooong ago.

Sony has to make that investment. It's not even just because of Kojima. This mess presents the opportunity to hire some of the most talented Japanese devs all at once. People who worked together for years in one of the few jp studios that seemed to keep up with the quality (and tech) expected from them.
Do it.
Maybe they can even open some doors for Kojima via their Sony Pictures connection, which would probably be the sort of benefit that entices Kojima.

I hope KojiPro as a Whole can move on and make something new. Ken Imazumi was recently quoted as a Konami exec, I hope they aren't folding into the mix and leaving Kojima on his own. Unless he's leaving the industry altogether which I can't see as of yet, he is still one of the actual developers that are a brand in themselves.

It's sad it had to end this way but he knew the risks going in, and maybe this was the only way he could move on and do something new. Hopefully someone like Sony or Nintwndo picks him up so he has enough funds and freedom to do what he wants finally.

Are his entire team coverted to contractual basis (ie Konami doesn't want any of Kojima's people anymore and will dump them whenever)? Or just Kojima?

Well, either way, people need to make a living, can't expect them to just quit and follow Kojima unless he has solid plans/prospects in place.

There must have been talks already behind the scenes about what Kojima is going to do next and I'm sure Kojima himself has already sort it out like who on his team will follow him etc.

Unless Konami literally locked Kojima out from any outside communication at all. I'm still sad that we didn't see Kojima during this E3 :(

iceatcs

Hope not going for kickstarter, which mean they have no back and money at first place. 100% failed.

Hopefully there is no need for them doing all. Maybe some can give them contract with a new studio.

Given how SCEJ has played a blinder this gen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kojima join them.

I think it makes more sense for Kojima to form his own studio within Sony, but not be a part of SCEJ (as that is a very fluid studio and the staff are constantly moving between projects, and I think Kojima would rather keep his team together).

There must have been talks already behind the scenes about what Kojima is going to do next and I'm sure Kojima himself has already sort it out like who on his team will follow him etc.

Unless Konami literally locked Kojima out from any outside communication at all. I'm still sad that we didn't see Kojima during this E3 :(

Wherever he goes, Shinkawa had better be with him.

Imm0rt4l

edit: I also don't get why people keep suggesting kickstarter. Kojima has produced nothing but hits so getting funding anywhere wouldn't be a problem. Shenmue was a flop so that's why it's a kickstarter. big difference.
I could also see kojima turning it down because it's a fools errand. This is a guy who created Raiden for the purpose of appealing to Japanese women/growing the fan base demographic in his country. A man with an ego like his would probably not be happy with his game doing poorly in his home region. Just my thoughts.

I think it makes more sense for Kojima to form his own studio within Sony, but not be a part of SCEJ (as that is a very fluid studio and the staff are constantly moving between projects, and I think Kojima would rather keep his team together).
Like Polyphony is pretty independent from SCEJ. I think that would be ideal for me. But I think after being screwed over by a big publisher like Konami. He may want to be independent and basically be like Platinum games and do work for hire, which I'm sure he will have no problem finding work as long as the budget is reasonable. He can try to be more ambitious when they've grown bigger.

I just wonder if he will pursue another genre like survivor horror like he did the PT prototype, or continue back making stealth action game, basically a metal gear clone. Making a 'not metal gear' seems like the safest bet for a new studio even with his name attached. But I know some people who'll be disappointed if he go back making basically another metal gear game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
162q54.gif

Neff

I could also see kojima turning it down because it's a fools errand. This is a guy who created Raiden for the purpose of appealing to Japanese women/growing the fan base demographic in his country. A man with an ego like his would probably not be happy with his game doing poorly in his home region. Just my thoughts.

I think ego is going to be the deciding factor in what he does next. Kojipro is probably big and wealthy enough to follow the same route PG did and establish its own studio, but that would mean working for hire and I'm not sure if Kojima would be up for that. My guess is that he's going to go with whoever fawns over him and his work the most, and who writes the blankest cheques.

Would be fascinating to see it happen though.

I think ego is going to be the deciding factor in what he does next. Kojipro is probably big and wealthy enough to follow the same route PG did and establish its own studio, but that would mean working for hire and I'm not sure if Kojima would be up for that. My guess is that he's going to go with whoever fawns over him and his work the most, and who writes the blankest cheques.

Would be fascinating to see it happen though.
Ih Kojima goes independent studio, he'd have plenty of offer that he can pick and choose to work with whoever he want. And I'm not sure why you think Kojima don't want to work for hire.

Unless he's making smaller scale games with his own money or kickstarter, he will have to work with big publishers.

Also, kojipro had no money of its own. Its all Konami moneym what Kojima now is his personal saving and that's it I think.

Voyevoda

Please Kojima, make Silent Hills (with a different name; just, the game you wanted to make), call back Del Toro, Junji Itô, Norman Reedus... Pretty please ...
;_;

That really doesn't fall under Adam's job description.
Depends. If Sony want to hire Kojima as part of first party, that's Shuhei Yoshida job. But if Kojima stay independent and Sony want to work closely with Kojima, that can fall under Boyes job. Unless Kojima make new IP owned by SCE ala BloodBorne and Ratchet. Than that's back to Yoshida's job.

Alienous

I've said this before but I'm looking forward to Metal Gear Solid without Kojima. He's been talking about how he has to make the series for years now, but his team only got two opportunities to make a Metal Gear Solid title without him and when they did it was with a competent PSP stealth game and a console hack-'n-slash (a new genre for them on a new engine) that didn't come together.

He had his opportunities to pass the series on ceremoniously and he didn't take them, not showing enough trust to give his team an actual MGS title to develop, so now there is no second in command ready to maintain the series. Konami control its future and I'm actually interested in seeing what they do with it. For better or worse I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

Neff

Ih Kojima goes independent studio, he'd have plenty of offer that he can pick and choose to work with whoever he want. And I'm not sure why you think Kojima don't want to work for hire.

Unless he's making smaller scale games with his own money or kickstarter, he will have to work with big publishers.

Also, kojipro had no money of its own. Its all Konami moneym what Kojima now is his personal saving and that's it I think.

Kojima wouldn't be funding a studio out of his own pocket, he can't afford to. He'd be doing so in conjunction with other Kojipro staff and possibly temporary outside backing.

The thing with being an independent freelance studio is that you rely on customers to have work for you to do, and you possibly also have to bid for contracts. Kojima is a huge name, so this issue would be lessened for him, at least initially, but I still think he might prefer to be indefinitely under the wing of a big publisher who 'gets him', where he's going to be constantly made use of and placated. And I'm thinking that publisher might be Microsoft.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sony hiring Kojipro team and then making P.T. would be best outcome.

Remember that Kojima and his team can't take the Fox Engine with them, as it's owned by Konami.

So copyright stuff regarding PT aside, it'd take 3+ years AGAIN for Kojima and his team to develop a new engine.

Sony hiring Kojipro team and then making P.T. would be best outcome.

Toyama though.

So copyright stuff regarding PT aside, it'd take 3+ years AGAIN for Kojima and his team to develop a new engine.

Honestly, I'd say the most unlikely thing that Kojima will get, imo, is for a publisher to allow him to recreate a new engine from scratch. More realistically would be them telling him to use something off-the-shelf, or modify an existing in-house engine that belongs to the publisher.

Kojima wouldn't be funding a studio out of his own pocket, he can't afford to. He'd be doing so in conjunction with other Kojipro staff and possibly temporary outside backing.

The thing with being an independent freelance studio is that you rely on customers to have work for you to do, and you possibly also have to bid for contracts. Kojima is a huge name, so this issue would be lessened for him, at least initially, but I still think he might prefer to be indefinitely under the wing of a big publisher who 'gets him', where he's going to be constantly made use of and placated. And I'm thinking that publisher might be Microsoft.
If Kojima went independent, pretty much any game project he pitch will have multiple publisher willing to sign in unless he demand ridiculous budget.

And I'm not sure why you think MS is the one who more 'gets him' than Sony considering Kojima seems more closer with Sony or even Nintendo since they do have mgs twin snakes.

The only reason to go with ms is if Kojima next project require a lot of money that make any other publisher step away.

Oriel

Hopefully Kojima and bulk of KP set up their own studio. And once Konami eventually stops pretending they're a serious games developer and moves entirely towards being a chain of gyms Kojima can swoop in and buy up all its gaming assets.

Go independent/kickstarter Hideo. I think he'd have a legit shot at Star Citizen type records.

Edit: this also makes me think Metal Gear Online will be DOA.

Remember that Kojima and his team can't take the Fox Engine with them, as it's owned by Konami.

Do they really need a custom engine? Surely there's a good (if not better) solution amongst the 3rd party offerings. UE4 is the one that comes to the fore for me.

Zomba13

I still wish Hayter was in for this. I mean, if there were going to be more and more MGS games and Keifer Sutherland was going to be in all of them I would get it. But this being the last MGS, possibly Kojima's master piece, it just hurts not having the voice of Snake be in the last game.

I don't know what I want Kojima to do next. I don't want him shackled to a platform for exclusivity. It'd be cool if he picked up the rest of KojiPro and made a new studio.

Exentryk

Like others said, if Sony picks them up, they'd have lots of options for engines. And they can just as easily create a horror game like P.T. without using any copyright stuff.

On the plus side Kojima is no longer under Konami which is AMAZING. The partnership just seemed horrible since 4. I honestly hope no one buys him out so he can continue to do his own thing. Wouldn't cry if Sony picks him up though.

It just sucks about no more MGS. Which honestly can be another plus. Story was supposed to end with 4 but somehow we got 2.5 games after! PW and MGSV truely wrap up every damn loose end MGS4 created. So even if i wanted more MGS it would be incredibly forced. can't wait to see what new ideas he comes up. His first game HAS to be something like PT.

Neff

The only reason to go with ms is if Kojima next project require a lot of money that make any other publisher step away.

If he goes with a publisher, it's going to come down to money. Lots of money, money which will fuel Kojima's ego. Kojima would have stopped making Metal Gear years ago if it weren't for two things- he didn't trust anyone else to make it (and that seems to be a moot point now) and because Konami gave him massive budgets to play with- but only for Metal Gear. Of all those who will be looking to procure his talent and reputation when he officially leaves Konami, MS has by far the deepest pockets.

Of course, he might just want to do small-scale stuff, but I doubt it.

If he goes with a publisher, it's going to come down to money. Lots of money, money which will fuel Kojima's ego. Kojima would have stopped making Metal Gear years ago if it weren't for two things- he didn't trust anyone else to make it (and that seems to be a moot point now) and because Konami gave him massive budgets to play with- but only for Metal Gear. Of all those who will be looking to procure his talent and reputation when he officially leaves Konami, MS has by far the deepest pockets.

Money and freedom.

Because honestly? Between publisher X willing to give him 100 million to make Alloy Toothed Wheel Rigid and publisher Y giving 50 million for freedom to pursue something new altogether like he did with Boktai/ZoE, I'd say there's a higher chance he'll take the latter.

If Kojima was a 'hit machine', then yes. But the reality is that even though a lot of his games are ingenious and fun, the ones that print money is only Metal Gear.

Who's the one that will balance the money and creative freedom will get Kojima, imo.

Top Bottom