• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA gameplay trailer.

I'm not sure about this. The main character talks and we meet other people* who also talk "normally".

This being a horror game, I will wait for player impressions before passing final judgement.

Izcarielo

Banned
My mind was blown away when i saw the name of my city (Cadiz) at 2:13
What the hell hahah
PS: the enemies reminded me of the robots from Thief 2 at the bank

Didn't look scary at all. The weirdo robots patrolling the area look comical. The fake tension of this trailer was silly.

Maybe I have outgrown this style of game.

Im the exact opposite

Its been so ling since I have played an immersive first person adventure and I cant get enough of the sci fi horror ones (RIP Dead Space)

Itll be a nice change of pace from the games I have been playing this year (all third person action)

The thing is, it's way too early to judge the game based on this trailer alone.

I'll be shocked if the story/setting/atmosphere don't spin off into something much crazier and more interesting once the setting is established.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Im the exact opposite

Its been so ling since I have played an immersive first person adventure and I cant get enough of the sci fi horror ones (RIP Dead Space)

Itll be a nice change of pace from the games I have been playing this year (all third person action)

Yep, even if it isn't super ultra scary it's probably gonna be a fun adventure game with an interesting story. But I trust Frictional to scare my pants off.

The thing is, it's way too early to judge the game based on this trailer alone.

I'll be shocked if the story/setting/atmosphere don't spin off into something much crazier and more interesting once the setting is established.

It will, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHVkMIP1b8 the very first game footage they showed.

Skux

Y'all are tripping, that looked fantastic. I was gripped just watching it, imagine how tense it would be to play.

Loved the robot who thought he was a human lol

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You ought to! Play Penumbra Black Plague as well. Both fantastic horror titles. Unless you don't game on PC I suppose :p

I loved A Machine for Pigs as well. The story was fantastic, voice acting great (The Machine is menacing as hell) and it looked great too. Frictional also were the ones who told them to get rid of the inventory system. They're doing the same for Soma. That makes our little fanclub 3 members :D.
I think Machine for Pigs holds up better for multiple playthroughs than Dark Descent does as well.

Also
dat final ascent up the stairs with the music and the Machine's monologue was spine chilling

Yesss <33

I don't mean to come off as completely doubting Frictional here either, even if I sounded a bit down on it in my post. I absolutely plan on giving SOMA a full and honest once-over. One trailer doesn't exactly speak for the whole of the game, and they've at least given me great experiences the first time around in their previous titles.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, ps4 version releasing with pc? Always thought it would come "later".

Fuck yes!

Ps4 day 1. Ready to shit my pants!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
First thing I'm gonna do when I play is

A) Leave the machine on to see what happens to Robo-Bro (you've essentially plugged a robo-woman off life support at that point so it's not like you're not already a dick)

Reload

B) Find ID card and run straight back to Robo-Bro to object to him being alive and human (if possible)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't care that the PS4 will not have the "big" AAA games this year! I love to play some other games like this.

The variation in genre is way bigger then Microsoft ever will have.

I stil have to Finish Alien :-0

Reedirect

Looks glorious. Horror games are a little scarce this year (basically just this and Until Dawn), so I hope this delivers.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't care that the PS4 will not have the "big" AAA games this year! I love to play some other games like this.

The variation in genre is way bigger then Microsoft ever will have.

I stil have to Finish Alien :-0

Me too. But it's seriously scary :lol. I dread playing it. Creative Assembly did too well

dmr87

Only thing that worries me after watching this is the voice acting, I hope they don't overdo it. Environment and sound are amazing, as expected.

dmr87

From their blog

Here are three quick bits of trivia about the video:

1) When the video starts we are about 1 hour into the game.

2) The protagonist is not an amnesiac. He has an established past, knows who he is, but isn't at all sure about the situation he's in.

3) There are lots more things to explore in this level than what's shown in the video. For instance, you can avoid the robot attack completely by acting differently.

That's it for now! We hope you like the footage and we're looking forward hearing what you think about the game after release!

Looks cool, I like the setting and the style but I don't see it being particularly scary. Nothing in the trailer really seemed all that tense

5taquitos

Yessssss, this trailer has me hyped! I can already tell it's going to get pretty twisted, and I love a good sci-fi mindfuck

I'm a real fan of the Penumbra series, but this... doesn't really just capture that horror vibe I'm looking for. More of the cat/mouse tension gimmick we've seen from time to time (ESPECIALLY the part where the pursuer is always, ALWAYS looking around your area of hiding no matter how effective you were obfuscating yourself. WHY? Please stop this shit, it really highlights the scripted nature of the AI. Let the AI take over, if it sees you, it sees you and I'm fine with that).

Personally, I thought it was if Bioshock removed the combat elements from the game which isn't a bad thing per se but I'm still extremely sceptical about this.

Scoot2005

Banned
After seeing the original videos and this one this game will be about the integration of human consciousness with machines. Will be interesting.

The robot in this video has a human brain in it or some such.

Spaced33

I'm definitely intrigued where this is going. Why do the robots think they're human? What was going on in this place? Very very interesting.

Not so sure about the horror aspect, yet. It doesn't look anywhere as scary as their previous games. I'm hoping they bring the creepiness in a big way. Regardless, I'm in day 1.

Other than MGS5 and potentially Persona 5, My most anticipated games have been indies and this game has such potential.

I Love Aliens Isolation, so I'm going to put this on my radar.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Looking forward to this. I really hope they implement VR support for PS4/PC; would be awesome with games like this.

I think I'm more excited for Depth, the movie promoting the game, than the game itself.
How am I just finding out about this now? The live action bits they've shown so far are incredible. The thought of a full length film in that style is really appealing to me. How exciting!

Scarecrow

Kinda feel like, after Outlast and Alien, I've played this type of game already. I guess I'd be in it for the story? Also, what was the name of that other upcoming hide and seek game set in a space station?

Sotha_Sil

I thought it looked great. I don't care so much about the horror aspects as I do the machines all over the place with human personalities and characteristics. Those are some of my favorite types of stories (Blade Runner-esque).

Jb

The atmosphere they showcase in this trailer is really impressive. I'm trying not to watch the whole thing but it's going to be hard.

nel e nel

Am I the only one that noticed the 'glitches' on the screen. Almost as if the protagonist wasn't looking through eyes, but through lenses/screens?

I have a feeling you'll man one of these robots to get past them, or maybe become one of them yourself with your consciousness still thriving.

Anyway, looks sick.

Am I the only one that noticed the 'glitches' on the screen. Almost as if the protagonist wasn't looking through eyes, but through lenses/screens?

Yeah, totally.

Top Bottom