• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone destroyed a rare Original Xbox development kit

As it says in the title, a piece of history has been busted forever.

Just to make a shitty costume pc inside the case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...bished_and_old_xbox_development_kit_and_made/

The things people do for teh lulz...

He carefully kept them over a fucking carpet.

2VWVZ91.jpg

Bluth54

He says that he did it because he didn't want to buy a case, but if there are only 50 of them made he could of probably sold it for way more than the cost of the case.

AlanOC91

His response to the situation is sad. He doesn't seem to care but I have a strong feeling he didn't realize how much it was potentially worth. I'm going to guess he's pretty young too.

Lazaro

Does he at least have the parts working? I imagine that shit could be used to further develop Xbox emulation.

Yeah was wondering this, but you'd probably need the documentation with it as well.

I don't know, I'm not an emulation expert, lol.

McCoolName

Neo Member
The saddest part is that in the right hands it could have meant OG Xbox emulation, which right now is pretty much impossible. Welp.

That Reddit OP is getting straight up savaged. Lol It smells like a masterful troll job to me (doesn't seem realistic anyone would do this and put a shitty i3 system in the case). If not, dude is a fucking retard. If the Alpha DevKit booted, at the very least he flushed several thousand dollars down the toilet. Hell, I'd think that even the detached hard drive would be worth quite a lot by itself. Not to mention the history factor he shat on.

Reddit PCMR continues finding interesting and new ways to make me hate them.

you mean the subreddit where 99.9999% of people just post pics of their rigs or wallpapers and which said subreddit is nothing like what console gamers who have no idea what they're talking about make it out to be ?

VulpX

Can you really blame him for not knowing what he had on his hands?

What about the other 49? Were those just purged? Isn't that actually way worse?

The OP is apparently a kid or young. He also wiped the HDD because he thought there was nothing on it. And he's now send the HDD to a 'friend' to see if anything was on the HDD that can be recovered. And the OP is not communicating with anyone, or giving email access to the friend to Xbox emu peeps.

Basically the OP of the Reddit thread is a troll who knew exactly what he was doing, or a moron.

That Reddit OP is getting straight up savaged. Lol It smells like a masterful troll job to me (doesn't seem realistic anyone would do this and put a shitty i3 system in the case). If not, dude is a fucking retard. If the Alpha DevKit booted, at the very least he flushed several thousand dollars down the toilet. Hell, I'd think that even the detached hard drive would be worth quite a lot by itself. Not to mention the history factor he shat on.

I dunno, looks like the OPs father attempted to get it sold a few years previous

[–]theonlypotatoman 7 points 25 days ago
well someone with experience could have gotten it if they gave a fair price to u/mcflavius

https://www.reddit.com/user/mcflavius

From the responses they probably just left it somewhere until the kid fancied re-purposing it. I guess a little research beforehand wouldn't have hurt though.

The responses in that thread seem... excessive, to say the least.

This is the equivalent of sneaking into the Louvre, pasting Gaben's face over the Mona Lisa, and expecting /r/pcmasterrace to upvote you for it.

Give me a break, please.

compo

Banned
Man, that OP sucks. Browsing his post history, you can see that he also posts regularly to all the shittiest subs on Reddit, like r/4chan, a bunch of subreddits from the circlejerk family, and bullying subreddits like r/CringeAnarchy, r/justneckbeardthings, and r/TumblrInAction.

The responses in that thread seem... excessive, to say the least.

Give me a break, please.

In gaming terms I think it's not a ridiculous comparison. Ruining one of the big three's rare original dev kits is pretty high up on the list of destroying the history of gaming IMO.

Forgive my ignorance, what's the problem with putting the parts on the carpet?

static electricity can destroy exposed electronic components.

akileese

Never underestimate how many people spend money on the aesthetics of their custom PC and put mediocre parts into it.

Caelus

Man, that OP sucks. Browsing his post history, you can see that he also posts regularly to all the shittiest subs on Reddit, like r/4chan, a bunch of subreddits from the circlejerk family, and bullying subreddits like r/CringeAnarchy, r/justneckbeardthings, and r/TumblrInAction.

That... explains a lot.

#justneckbeardthings

Damn, he could have sold it to an enthusiast or engineer and have enough money for a better looking case ...

Edit: Apparently the OP sent the hard disk to a friend to copy the data.

Pyrokai

I can't believe only 50 were made. Am I crazy or does 50 developers making games for the Xbox seem like a super low number?

Are there truly no others in existence? I didn't realize Xbox emulation was basically dead. Very sad :(

I would love to take a loo0k at that video card and CPU, those must be custom parts. The rest looks stock to me. Did this devkit come with a HDD? Or did Microsoft pull them out when getting rid of these?

rakanishu

Banned
I would love to take a loo0k at that video card and CPU, those must be custom parts. The rest looks stock to me. Did this devkit come with a HDD? Or did Microsoft pull them out when getting rid of these?

CPU looks like a Pentium 3 with a slot 1 connector, and the video card looks like a GeForce 2 from that era. I think the tragedy here is if the content of the HDD is lost.

Top Bottom