• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone is working on a native PC version of Super Mario 64, first tech video released

CyberPanda

Banned
Super Mario 64 is a classic Nintendo 64 platformer featuring our favourite plumber. Naturally, and like with almost all first-part Mario games, this title never came out on the PC. However, that’s about to change as someone is currently working on a native PC version of this N64 game. This project is still in a really early development stage and is based on the decompiled repo that came out recently on github. Moreover, this project will require the Nintendo 64 version for loading its assets. In other words, you’ll need a N64 ROM for Super Mario 64.

Now I’m pretty sure that someone may wonder what’s the point of such a PC version if it still requires a N64 ROM, right? Well, the most obvious one is the native support for both keyboard and mouse. Moreover, this PC version of Super Mario 64 will allow players to use higher resolutions (though this is also possible with most current N64 emulators). It will also make it easier to run the game on the PC.

Going one step further, and once the project is up and running, its developer may bring support for high-quality textures. A FOV slider could be also possible, as well as support for ultrawide resolutions. Not only that, but we could as well see some ray tracing experiments with this native PC build. To be honest, though, I don’t believe this is something that its creator is currently considering. But anyway, below you can find the first video from Super Mario 64 running natively on the PC. The project currently uses Glide64 as a graphics wrapper (which is used on most N64 emulators).

Here is hoping that Nintendo will not shut this project down.

Nintendo is gonna shut this down. lol

MagnesG

Banned
So he just want the title of the "dude who released Mario64 on PC". Cause Nintendon't.

Always the same shit over and over. Just emulate them man, maybe that could stop constant bitching.

Komatsu

Cease and desist letter in 3...2...1...

Nintendo can't C&D the project, as it uses no Nintendo assets. The player is the one responsible for fetching the ROM that will provide the executable with the resources. It's a pretty nifty solution.

MagnesG

Banned
Nintendo can't C&D the project, as it uses no Nintendo assets. The player is the one responsible for fetching the ROM that will provide the executable with the resources. It's a pretty nifty solution.
I'm just concerned about Nintendo being more egregious in their effort, squashing these misguided developers.

Then they push too far, people got mad. Maybe counter lawsuits happened, and then the floodgates just opened for public.

At the end, Nintendo will just lose the goodwill regarding their fans. Like the online Mario royale thing. The developer is basically a fame whore Youtuber. God.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Doesn’t mean Nintendo lawyers can’t use scare tactics and draw him into a court battle even if they know they might lose. Few people would risk a lawsuit over a hobby project

mcjmetroid

Is he tired of working on it? Is that why he's posting this online so Nintendo can shut it down and he can start using his talents toward something that might actually earn money?
Yep it's all attention seeking. I refuse to believe people this talented are this stupid

Fuz

Banned
Why the fuck they keep talking about those projects so early? Did they never learn?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I would love a PC version with full analog control and incorporates the characters and extras from the DS version.

I tried playing the DS version but I just couldnt get past the control

Knightime_X

Yeah, this will never come out as completed if ever.
Should have finished it first THEN said something.

But, you still need the rom....
This is basically a dedicated emulator.
Nintendo hasn't stopped the use of emulators only distribution of roms.

There might be hope after all!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I would love a PC version with full analog control and incorporates the characters and extras from the DS version.

I tried playing the DS version but I just couldnt get past the control
use a 3ds to play the ds game
it feels a lot better thanks to the analogue stick

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Nintendo are so arse backwards at times... I get it, they want to protect their ips... but come on, this shit should be encouraged, not slapped with a legal threat.

If somebody had the passion to do this with your work, then more power to them. The reason most people are even in the game dev business is because they got huge starts with modding and custom content.

Please stop with this strict ass attitude. Nobody wins.

Birdo

Banned
Do you think Nintendo ever looks at things like this and get embarrased?

Some Nintendo mods and cracks make them look incompetent. Especially some Emulators.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Do you think Nintendo ever looks at things like this and get embarrased?

Some Nintendo mods and cracks make them look incompetent. Especially some Emulators.

I honesty just think Nintendo don’t care. They live in the past with regard to every single thing they do. It’s not just system tech, but everything they aim for is stuff that was done 10+ years ago. You’re right, emulators and the like we’re out 20+ years ago with better features, but they can’t be bothered to even add simple shit that should be 100% locked in stuff. I’m playing the new SNES games on switch, and it’s mins boggling that there is no full screen, or way to switch off the borders, or even easy access to save states without going through a menu. There’s no UI customisation in switch still, and the whole online thing is just a joke. It’s like online on ps2, it’s that ancient.

But Nintendo don’t care. They will never change, even when it means their business will burn into the ground. They have a mind set and a mantra and they refuse to change it. It’s a shame, because if they welcomed the current way of thinking, they could be so far out in front in every way it would be insane. But nah.., they will keep on taking legal action against one guy who does something better than a team of 500 do...

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Mandatory watching for this dude:

True words
maxresdefault.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have a 3ds but ive never tried it. Do you still have to hold a button to run?
Yup but it feels less weird then using a dpad.
The controls won't suddenly become analoge ofc. But it feels way more natural.

Shifty

What a miserable thread, ya bunch of cranky old complainers.

Mario 64 getting a decompilation, let alone a PC implementation, is fascinating news. But oh no, time to roll out the big soapbox with "Nintendo will shut this down" on it and drown out the actual interesting part with the same loud-ass cookie cutter bitching that happens in every thread involving fan-made work.

For shame.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see the value outside being a learning experience for the developer, who will hopefully take the lessons to heart. The nuances of character control and what not as he tries to recreate it all and then utilizes the same principles in his future projects.

Last edited:
Top Bottom