• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something Diablo-related might have LEAKED via BlizzCon 2018 exclusive merchandise

Akuza89

Blizzard has updated its merch page with a slew of new items that seem to confirm a new Diablo project is in the works.
Over on the Blizzard Gear page, we can see new merch that refers to Diablo: Reign of Terror - an as yet unannounced expansion or new project related to the game. There's a new poster, and new shirts featuring the branding.
You can see all the new merch here.
We're expecting Blizzard to formally unveil something relating to the series in the upcoming weeks over at BlizzCon 2018, and this seems to be laying the foundations for that. So, will Diablo 4 be called Reign of Terror? It seems likely!

Source

It would make sense for a new Diablo to be in the works given the release of 3 on switch soon, then they can announce it for everything’s at blizzcon.

I doubt it’ll be more DLC.

The leaks were 99.999% bullshit but the subtitle and lack of number makes me think that this could be a Path of Exile/Torchlight Frontiers-inspired MMOaRPG. By the time this launches, World of Warcraft will be 15+ years old. Maybe even closer to 20. The gameplay and setting would be different enough to ensure they're not competing against themselves and even if they did, a BlizzardPass similar to how SOE did it in the early 2000s where one subscription got you access to multiple MMOs would do well.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Well if D3 is any indicator of Blizzards priorities and let's say the game has a hard release date of April 2020. We'll get D4 Version 1 which will be another attempt to make a living economy within the game based on real money. The living economy will ruin the game because of modern day whaling and hackers causing the initial Day 1'ers to fall away little by little....

My math puts a fun D4 game build on version 2 or 3 which should be 1-2 years after initial launch so if we're lucky to get it by 2020, Blizzard can fix it by 2022.

FUCK I'M EXCITED!

Last edited:

ZehDon

Yeah, click bait title. Given how long Blizzard takes with their projects - and rightly so, given their quality - I suspect we'll see a new expansion for Diablo 3. For as well received as Diablo 3 is today, it's still a shadow of what Diablo 2 was. I doubt Blizzard will be content until they have something they feel lives up to that legacy.

Atrus

Gold Member
Wasn't there some Netflix animated movie for Diablo? Maybe this is it seeing how cartoony the image is.

It's probably the Netflix show.
Remember the 2008 tease of Diablo 3? It was updating daily and it was ambiguous enough that a Starcraft announcement was a possibility. The final days made it clear it's Diablo

I remember the last great game Blizzard made. It was 1995. Those were the days.

No love for Warcraft III?

It's probably the Netflix show.
Remember the 2008 tease of Diablo 3? It was updating daily and it was ambiguous enough that a Starcraft announcement was a possibility. The final days made it clear it's Diablo

I do still vividly remember that 2008 reveal, crazy to think it was over a decade ago.

DonF

I seriously doubt it's D4, cause there is an achievement in D3 called "reign of terror". I believe blizzard to be more original than to name a sequel to one of it's biggest franchises after an achievement.

Lanrutcon

Gimme a 60 fps D2 remake with resolution and screen filter options. I will pay 60 bucks like a whore without hesitation.

Shifty

Source is a literal tabloid? Sweet jesus. Nothing about the leak suggests that it will be Diablo 4, that's pure editorialization on the part of the writer.

This is going to rile people up for a proper numbered sequel only for blizzard to announce it as their hot new mobile game and disappoint.

If there is a game in development it is probably a remaster if the first one. Although 2 would be better.

This is the only diablo news I trust:

Source

It would make sense for a new Diablo to be in the works given the release of 3 on switch soon, then they can announce it for everything’s at blizzcon.

I doubt it’ll be more DLC.

The fact that 3 is coming to Switch soon is actually exactly what is making me think that we might not be getting 4 just yet and instead another expansion. This way they could include the expansion in the Switch D3 release, and release the expansion at the same time for everyone else. This would also make paying full retail price on Switch a bit more palatable as well.

We’ll know soon enough. But no matter what, I’m just happy for more Diablo!

Norse

I just got a GameStop email about an exclusive Nintendo switch Diablo III edition coming 11-2-2018. Special edition Diablo III pro controller as well. Maybe that's all this is all about and nothing more. It looks cool imo

hecatomb

Banned
Why diablo 4 though? They should work on something else like World of Starcraft. If the made a Starcraft MMOrpg, they can have my money.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What do you even do with a Diablo 4 at this point? They already dumbed the game down compared to 2, and even other similar games. Do they somehow make it dumber or backpedal and make it complex again? I can't see the latter happening with how they've handled WoW over the years. I can't imagine people caring about a graphical upgrade for an isometric game, and anyone still here for the story is kidding themselves.

Akuza89

What do you even do with a Diablo 4 at this point? They already dumbed the game down compared to 2, and even other similar games. Do they somehow make it dumber or backpedal and make it complex again? I can't see the latter happening with how they've handled WoW over the years. I can't imagine people caring about a graphical upgrade for an isometric game, and anyone still here for the story is kidding themselves.

Make it a mobile only title ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
MOBA with loot crates and hat-based economy.

joe_zazen

Why would they backpedal? Isn't 3 a 30+ million seller?

As for what the next game will look like, they have to be working at getting Diablo into the microtransaction GaaS recurring revenue world like every other current Blizzard game; and the rest will be the same: coop loot grind with dumb epic story. the mtx probably won't be game breaking like with the auction house, but it'll be there Oh, and more server side stuff to stop duping and cheating on consoles.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

People seem to love loot crates and cosmetics, so I would lay odds on them taking the series in that direction. Since it's Diablo, I would imagine like one-time-use cosmetics that can be applied to equipment to make it look awesome (think Path of Exile) that people will want for some dumb reason.

They'll also make a battle royale mode too for good measure.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
i'd like to see world pvp make a return, the threat of your teammates turning against you was always super fun
Haha, I was kind of a dick in Diablo 2. I had a trick:
- use a town portal close to a waypoint, and tell the other person to use it
- quickly turn hostile, then use the waypoint and kill the other player before they even realized what was going on

So much fun collecting ears. I only did it to people who had stupid names like KornKid666 or whatever.

Top Bottom