• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 1 and 2 on XBLA (and Wii VC) are getting delisted on 10/30

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is their a recommended port for the Sonic games if I wanted to keep them for posterity's sake?

Sonic 1 & 2 were both ported in the 3D Classics series on Nintendo 3DS: The ports are of an outstanding quality, I prefer them over the original versions (!).

Tizoc

Wait isn't Sonic 3 on XBLA? That one isn't getting removed is it?

Is their a recommended port for the Sonic games if I wanted to keep them for posterity's sake?

Sonic 1 and 2 on the 3DS
Sonic 1 and 2 on mobile and Tablet platforms

LewieP

Wait isn't Sonic 3 on XBLA? That one isn't getting removed is it?

Sonic 1 and 2 on the 3DS
Sonic 1 and 2 on mobile and Tablet platforms

The mobile ports are basically as good as possible, but you should really not play these games with a touchscreen. They are obviously designed around physical controls.

Falk

that puzzling face
I guess SEGA was reading NeoGAF's "Sonic's future" thread and saw that a lot of people wanted more classic Sonic.

So they did the SEGA thing and gave less classic Sonic.

EHEHE

Guys you know for all our speculation that the Taxman versions are coming they're going to do this and then like not say a word about anything for years

That being said I'm hoping they replace them with his version

What is this Taxman thing?

this guy
taxmaster.jpg

What is this Taxman thing?
Mobile ports of Sonic 1/2 done by the same guy who did the Sonic CD re-release in 2011.

Widescreen, better physics/bug fixes, Tails and Knuckles playable (Tails can fly and some level layouts have added upper routes for them), elemental shields (only in debug mode though), Hidden Palace Zone restored to Sonic 2.

They're fucking awesome and need to be used as the base for future ports.

I might have to get Sonic 1 on the Wii VC because I'm assuming that the PAL VC will have the 50Hz version, and I grew up with that one. I prefer the gameplay at 60Hz obviously, but some of the songs, especially Starlight Zone, sound much better at 50Hz.

That'd be the only official way to get those versions now outside of buying the cartridge itself, right? Or did one of the collections have the 50Hz versions?

Xieldos

I never understood why they remade the first two but not Sonic 3.

Just imagine a new generation being introduced to that spinning barrel and it's realms of trickery

Tizoc

I never understood why they remade the first two but not Sonic 3.

Just imagine a new generation being introduced to that spinning barrel and it's realms of trickery

What's so hard to understand?
1, 2, 3 that's how you count numbers :V
S3&K likely is tied to music licensing I guess.

Xieldos

What's so hard to understand?
1, 2, 3 that's how you count numbers :V
S3&K likely is tied to music licensing I guess.

Oh yeah I understand numbers ;-)

It's been a while since 2 came out and 3 is my favourite so I'm a little impatient I guess.

Now all we need is SEGA to get their ass into gear and approve a Taxman remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and for the whole collection (Sonic 1/2/3 & Knuckles/CD) to be available as a complete digital package on Steam/PSN/Live.

MAKE IT HAPPEN

LIKE NOW

liquidtmd

Banned
Taxman / Whitehead has been on record not too long ago saying he's busy and equally he's had no contact / interest from Sega regarding S3&K

He wasn't being coy either, he's a straight up guy

Piccoro

I might have to get Sonic 1 on the Wii VC because I'm assuming that the PAL VC will have the 50Hz version, and I grew up with that one. I prefer the gameplay at 60Hz obviously, but some of the songs, especially Starlight Zone, sound much better at 50Hz.

That'd be the only official way to get those versions now outside of buying the cartridge itself, right? Or did one of the collections have the 50Hz versions?

I have the Megadrive Ultimate Collection for PS3 and no. I'm pretty sure that you can only play the US version of Sonic there. So no PAL version.
Also, all the games in that collection are ports made by Backbone Entertainment and the quality is sub-par in some of the games.

I am pretty worried about this news. I think that they are being delisted, not because of the Taxman ports, but because of music licensing...

Can anyone answer me this?: Are the PSN ports made by Backbone, or M2? Thanks.

Omikaru

Taxman versions wouldn't explain the removal from Wii VC.

They may just be removing any/all versions of the game that don't meet their standards. Perhaps simply emulating the games is not high enough quality for them any longer?

Though who knows? We just have to wait for any new versions to be announced, I guess.

I really hope the Retro Engine versions are being ported, and that Taxman is working on Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the engine.

I have the Megadrive Ultimate Collection for PS3 and no. I'm pretty sure that you can only play the US version of Sonic there. So no PAL version.
Also, all the games in that collection are ports made by Backbone Entertainment and the quality is sub-par in some of the games.

I am pretty worried about this news. I think that they are being delisted, not because of the Taxman ports, but because of music licensing...

Can anyone answer me this?: Are the PSN ports made by Backbone, or M2? Thanks.

I'm fairly certain the PSN versions were in the same range as Streets of Rage 2 on PSN, so they were made by Backbone, had online multiplayer, and ran atrociously. The Sonic Ultimate Collection was bad enough, but the PSN SoR 2 was unplayable and embarrassing. I'd assume the Sonic games would be the same.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Now all we need is SEGA to get their ass into gear and approve a Taxman remake of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and for the whole collection (Sonic 1/2/3 & Knuckles/CD) to be available as a complete digital package on Steam/PSN/Live.

MAKE IT HAPPEN

LIKE NOW
No love for Knuckles Chaotix? It wasn't that bad...

Peff

Don't get crazy, this is probably just because the Dreams Come True soundtrack deal expires then.

It's nice to dream, though.

Roufianos

That first page was a nightmare to read without a definition of "Taxman Version"!

I completely forgot Sonic was on XBLA but now I remember as it gave me an achievement that was 6GS and ruined my nice round figure.

I don't think they're gonna be replaced on the 360 XBLA and Wii VC, since they've now legacy consoles. If anything, I think it opens the possibility of the the XBLA and VC platforms for the Xbox One and Wii U getting the games.

If they do, I really do hope the versions they get are the Taxman/Stealth remasters (and ideally, Taxman's Sonic CD remake too) only available on smartphones and tablets. They are exceptionally well done and in a lot of ways the definitive versions of the original games, though playing them without a controller is a bit of a hassle.

Reportedly the Taxman/Stealth remasters are/were mobile exclusive because of the Sonic-exclusive Nintendo contract. Now that it's over, I'm hoping this means they will be brought over to consoles too.

Of course, Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles aren't being touched, thanks to the quasi-mythical legal issues that have barred them from seeing another port / release / remake (note that Generations never remade any levels from Sonic 3, and outside of the Big Arms boss / Final Boss remix for the 3DS version, has shied away from remixing Sonic 3 music) as of 2011...

Tizoc

I don't think they're gonna be replaced on the 360 XBLA and Wii VC, since they've now legacy consoles. If anything, I think it opens the possibility of the the XBLA and VC platforms for the Xbox One and Wii U getting the games.

If they do, I really do hope the versions they get are the Taxman/Stealth remasters (and ideally, Taxman's Sonic CD remake too) only available on smartphones and tablets. They are exceptionally well done and in a lot of ways the definitive versions of the original games, though playing them without a controller is a bit of a hassle.

Reportedly the Taxman/Stealth remasters are/were mobile exclusive because of the Sonic-exclusive Nintendo contract. Now that it's over, I'm hoping this means they will be brought over to consoles too.

Of course, Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles aren't being touched, thanks to the quasi-mythical legal issues that have barred them from seeing another port / release / remake (note that Generations never remade any levels from Sonic 3, and outside of the Big Arms boss / Final Boss remix for the 3DS version, has shied away from remixing Sonic 3 music) as of 2010...

Oh Sonic LW was on Wii U only and now it's coming to Steam, that's a good point!

RedToad64

Guys, the Wii and Xbox 360 are not getting new versions of these games. Those are last generation consoles. Obviously the music is the problem here.

I guess this also disqualifies the games from appearing on the Xbox One's BC list.

JackelZXA

The Taxman versions would be cool, though I didnt like the version of Hidden Palace they made for it. (The way to access it was cool, its just the new content didnt feel as good as sonic 2's design, and the new boss was bad)

Guys, the Wii and Xbox 360 are not getting new versions of these games. Those are last generation consoles. Obviously the music is the problem here.

I guess this also disqualifies the games from appearing on the Xbox One's BC list.

Weird considering the 3DS remakes aren't getting pulled. Or the Steam ones.

Don't get crazy, this is probably just because the Dreams Come True soundtrack deal expires then.

It's nice to dream, though.

Unlikely, Sega has been allowed to use the direct Genesis output of the songs without licensing them specifically for a long time now. Unless there was some legal change and now DCT are going after them for that.

I can't believe Sega didn't use all their negotiations during the development of Generations to square away Sonic music rights for good. It's astounding how much of their soundtracks can only be used if they go make new agreements with the artists.

The mobile ports are basically as good as possible, but you should really not play these games with a touchscreen. They are obviously designed around physical controls.

Good thing the mobile versions support controllers!

G0523

Indeed, I didn't suggest otherwise, but many people don't have/want controllers for their phones. The vast majority of people.

You could also just get an OTG cable and plug it in to a console controller. That's how I did it and it works perfectly.

Top Bottom